Can you mail a handgun to yourself?

PDA

LAR-15
October 31, 2005, 08:14 PM
You move from state A to ,say, Alaska or Hawaii and is it legal under Fed law to mail your own handgun to your new address?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you mail a handgun to yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Headless Thompson Gunner
October 31, 2005, 08:41 PM
Yes. If you are both sender and recipient, then no transfer takes place, and no FFL is needed.

Infidel
October 31, 2005, 08:48 PM
No, it is NOT legal unless you have a type 1 FFL (dealer). It does not matter to whom or where the handgun is going, it is not legal for anyone without a dealer's license to mail a handgun anywhere anytime to anyone anywhere.

You can legally ship it by another carrier, however.

ctdonath
October 31, 2005, 10:56 PM
You cannot mail a handgun via USPS without an FFL.

To yourself via private courier (FedEx, UPS, etc.), and long guns via any means, is OK.

Headless Thompson Gunner
November 1, 2005, 12:01 AM
Ooops. Yes, I forgot that one may not mail a handgun through the post office.

ReadyontheRight
November 1, 2005, 03:43 AM
Will UPS and FedEx allow you to ship any gun to a non-FFL?

Cacique500
November 1, 2005, 08:53 AM
Will UPS and FedEx allow you to ship any gun to a non-FFL?

I'm assuming you mean shipping it to yourself...otherwise it has to go through an FFL.

This is more of a don't ask don't tell kind of thing. I've had much better luck shipping via Fedex than UPS.

You are required to tell them it's a firearm. I have shipped a few pistols and have never had to actually produce an FFL but YMMV.

I do have an 03 FFL I can whip out if the need arises (they'll never know ;) )

LAR-15
November 1, 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks. I did mean mail and or ship.

Okay don't use the post office, good to go.

benEzra
November 1, 2005, 01:44 PM
In theory. Shipping to yourself via FedEx or UPS is legal as long as you inform them what it is (and IIRC the USPS does allow the shipping of non-handguns, I think).

In practice, it's very difficult. I tried VERY hard (including taking several hours off work) to ship a handgun to myself via UPS when I was flying from Florida to NC three or four years ago, since I didn't really trust the airline baggage handling system. I went to the UPS shipping hup (not a storefront, the actual main regional hub) and quoted chapter and verse to the manager, but he basically called me an idiot and said he was "saving me from prison" by not allowing me to ship the firearm. Despite the fact that I was holding a printout of the Federal regulations, straight from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, in my hand.

I ended up just checking it through the airline anyway, and that worked well. And the TSA people who inspected my luggage asked me if I was with the FBI. :D (Handgun was a S&W 3913, and I was dressed in Dockers/polo shirt with a close haircut.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you mail a handgun to yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!