Marylanders - Time For Some Social Fun

PDA

Spot77
November 1, 2005, 08:23 PM
Alrighty...we've had a bunch of get togethers to go shooting this year, but there seems to be a common problem at all the ranges - no time to talk.

We've had a few successful social gatherings in the past (the picnic in Columbia was a GREAT time!) and I think it's time for another.

So I'm proposing a THURSDAY night get-together at Duclaw Brewing Company at Arundel Mills on DECEMBER 8th.

Duclaw serves excellent food, and one of my best friends is the brewmaster there, so there's not a bad word to be heard from me about the beer!

I'll try to pm as many people here as possible (I have something like 70 Maryland THR users on my list), and feel free to invite any shooter you know.

I'll post a note in other forums as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marylanders - Time For Some Social Fun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Live Free Or Die
November 1, 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm new to the forums, and I haven't even had a chance to go shootin' with you all. But I live pretty close to Arundel Mills, and I think I'll be around Dec 8th. So sure, count me in. I'm not a big fan of Arundel Mills -- I only stop in at Bass Pro for ammo now and again -- but since I'm not organizing this shindig, I'll shut up now. :D

Norton
November 1, 2005, 08:57 PM
No sane person would be a FAN of Arundel Mills...well except for BassPro and DuClaw. Ol' Jim brews some mighty fine beer and the food there is pretty tasty too.

Live Free Or Die
November 1, 2005, 09:14 PM
No sane person would be a FAN of Arundel Mills...well except for BassPro and DuClaw. Ol' Jim brews some mighty fine beer and the food there is pretty tasty too.

Ok, ok...you had me at "mighty fine beer." :cool:

Norton
November 1, 2005, 09:16 PM
Ok, ok...you had me at "mighty fine beer." :cool:

:evil: Just remember, there ain't no Budweiser served there......:p

cslinger
November 1, 2005, 09:17 PM
Damn!!! I wannnnnnaaaa go to DuClaw. I love that place. :uhoh: :(

Great beer. Love the Bare Assed Blond and Kangaroo love. Tried something the last time we were in town called Repent I believe and that stuff was more liquor then beer but excellent.

Have fun all.

Chris

Norton
November 1, 2005, 09:24 PM
Damn!!! I wannnnnnaaaa go to DuClaw. I love that place. :uhoh: :(

Great beer. Love the Bare Assed Blond and Kangaroo love. Tried something the last time we were in town called Repent I believe and that stuff was more liquor then beer but excellent.

Have fun all.

Chris

I loved a bare a**ed blonde one time but it had little to do with alcohol.......on second thought it had a lot to do with alcohol :evil:

But seriously folks, :p , I'm all about the porter and stout when they have it.

I hope that we get a good turn out for this......we need to interact some before we have to go back to the trenches in January, February and March.

Everyone is saving up their personal leave days for Annapolis, right?

monsternav
November 1, 2005, 09:27 PM
Love to join but... Not on a weekday, I'd have to work the next day :( That's too much of a drive for me (NAS Patuxent River). I'll participate in one of these things eventually.

Spot77
November 1, 2005, 09:29 PM
well there's at least three of us !!!!

I just IM'ed Jim about getting something a little special set up for the event if enough people commit to it.

Maybe a firkin of Devil's Milk?????

....yummy....

Chris: Come on up for a few days; you can stay at my house. Norton and I were thinking of going to the NRA museum on Dec 9th - the day after the gathering.

ZenMasterJG
November 1, 2005, 09:48 PM
I cant *BELIEVE* I have to miss this!
I suppose I could always drop out of school...... :D
But no. I'm in Boston for the semester. I'd definatly be up for a get together over winter break though. (Late december / Early January)

Girlwithagun
November 1, 2005, 09:52 PM
I'm up for it. Great idea, Spot!

K-Romulus
November 1, 2005, 10:36 PM
but weeknights don't work for me, either (Rockville area):(

DelayedReaction
November 1, 2005, 11:02 PM
Beer? Yes!

Live Free Or Die
November 1, 2005, 11:06 PM
Beer? Yes!

DelayedReaction, it took you long enough to chime in. ;)

somoss
November 1, 2005, 11:26 PM
i'll try and be there. i get off work around 6pm, rockville. let me know when the next shoot and meet will be.

Jmurman
November 2, 2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the invitation, however, our baby is being born around that time...so I'll pass on this one.

Norton
November 2, 2005, 05:42 AM
For you DC area types, maybe sometime in January we'll try a get together in Montgomery County.....that would be a real fork in the eye of the sheep :evil:

Spot77
November 2, 2005, 07:20 AM
Somoss: From Rockville, that time of day, you would need about 50 minutes to get there and allow your self 30 to get home.

Jmurman: Congrats on the baby. Pick out his/her first .22 yet? :cool:

Rabid Rabbit
November 2, 2005, 08:15 AM
Thursday is bad for me. My wife is a dingaling (plays bells for a Church) on Thursdays before Christmas. Let me know if you have another get together.

deker
November 2, 2005, 09:57 AM
Seeing as I work in Columbia (even though I've moved out of MD), I should be able to make it.

-d

chaim
November 2, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, Thurs Dec 8th. I'd love to, if I can.

Right now I'm working night shifts at work. If I'm working that night I have to be there (Sheppard Pratt in Towson) by 11pm, means leaving at 10pm. Definately that would mean no beer. If I worked the night before, I may still be sleeping (I have to drink so much coffee in the morning to make the drive safely that I can't fall asleep until at least noon most of the time).

However, I am trying to get a new position within the hospital, or simply switch to day or day/evening shift (if I don't get a new position in a few weeks I'll see about just switching shifts). If I've changed shifts by then (or have a new, day shift only, position) and I'm not working (if I do days and evenings), or if I happen to be off (if I'm still night shift) then I'll definately be there. I definately want to go.

So, as I so often have had to answer lately, the answer is "maybe".:banghead:

IDriveB5
November 2, 2005, 03:32 PM
depending on my exam schedule, ill try to make it!

one tip for MoCo-ers, taking 29 up then across 32 to 95 cuts out a lot of the beltways interchange hell.

Spot77
November 2, 2005, 03:53 PM
Very cool - it looks like we'll get to meet a few new people.

So far I think we have 6 definites, and 3 maybes, plus a few from other forums.

Norton
November 2, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hopefully the Admiral won't have to work that night and will get to come out.

JeepDriver
November 2, 2005, 04:48 PM
Damn I'm always up for some beer!

But Thursday night's are my normal night to work the range :(

Ohen Cepel
November 2, 2005, 04:54 PM
Count me in as a maybe. Just not sure how the schedule will look for me then.

Chris Rhines
November 2, 2005, 06:31 PM
I can probably make it on Thursday.

- Chris

Spot77
November 2, 2005, 07:26 PM
Chris, it'll be good to see you again.

We can make our plans for world domination......well maybe just Maryland domination for a start.....

JBP
November 2, 2005, 07:35 PM
Love to but I'm teaching a class that night in White Marsh until 9:45pm.

cslinger
November 2, 2005, 10:29 PM
Love to come up and go to the NRA museum with you guys but all my vacation is spoken for at this point.

Have fun everybody.

Chris

DorGunR
November 3, 2005, 08:08 AM
Spot77.............count me in. :)

Spot77
November 3, 2005, 08:29 PM
Excellent!

Seem to have about 8 definites and 2 or 3 "maybes"

I have a few people from other forums coming as well. Well get them "THR'd"

AK-74me
November 5, 2005, 07:41 PM
Man, I am off too but that night is my final game of fall softball for the year. You all have fun.

Spot77
November 6, 2005, 05:36 PM
Ugh....that's what I always hated about fall softball....running into December and playing double headers at night when it was nasty cold out.

Good luck and hold the bat tightly!

chaim
November 9, 2005, 01:26 PM
My answer has changed from a "maybe" to about a 50/50 chance. Starting next week I won't be working nights (except when "mandated" to do a mandatory double shift), I'm switching to a day/evening schedule. If I'm working days (7am-3:30pm) the evening of the get together I shouldn't have any problem, If I'm working evenings (3-11:30pm) I won't make it. So, still a "maybe" but a bit more likely (I will try to remember to put in a request to be day shift that day, but even with the request they'll schedule me based on the hospital's needs more than mine).

Cliff
November 9, 2005, 07:49 PM
Hey there guys.
Count me in. Unless the job gets in the way, I'll be there. And as for the upcoming clown shows in Annapolis this year, I've got plenty of leave socked away.

K-Romulus
November 10, 2005, 10:21 AM
Hey there guys.
Count me in. Unless the job gets in the way, I'll be there. And as for the upcoming clown shows in Annapolis this year, I've got plenty of leave socked away.

That's a good one . . . hee hee . . . acc'rat, too . . . :D

crofrog
November 15, 2005, 04:13 PM
better late than never.

Count me and a friend in. unless ???? gets in the way.

Norton
November 15, 2005, 04:34 PM
Looks like we're going to have a pretty good showing.....outstanding :D

chaim
November 23, 2005, 07:46 PM
I just got my schedule going into early December. I am working the 7am-330pm shift on Thurday, Dec 8. Unless I get mandated to a double shift I will definately be there to lift a mug or two with you guys!:D

So what time is the get together again?

Novus Collectus
November 23, 2005, 07:56 PM
Only a 10% chance of me being there. Maybe next one.

Spot77
November 24, 2005, 10:21 AM
So what time is the get together again?

I'm planning on getting there between 6 and 7, but I think our target time was 7pm.

chaim
November 27, 2005, 12:30 AM
I'm planning on getting there between 6 and 7, but I think our target time was 7pm.
Cool, I'll be up for a pint or two.

deker
November 28, 2005, 10:49 PM
to check that this is Thurs the 8th (not the 9th as Spot says in another thread). I can make the 8th, but I'm settling on the sale of my old house on the 9th :D

And before anybody asks the "what's the next gun with the house sale $$"...I've already bought it. It's another DW 1911 (pre-merger Patriot CBOB bobtailled commander). The only hitch is that I got the go-ahead to buy it now while it was available, but I have to wait to Christmas to play with it :banghead: Should make a more comfy carry piece than the 5" with all the pointy edges on it though...I'm sure it'll be at the next On Target shoot....Maybe the 4" S&W 686+ I bought my wife at the gunshow in York a month or so ago as well...if she'll let me borrow it ;)

-d

Norton
November 29, 2005, 05:08 AM
Thursday December 8th.....methinks Spot77 got into that growler of Misfit Red from DuClaw a little early in the day :neener:

November 29, 2005, 07:21 AM
Where is the DuClaw at Arundel Mills relative to Bowie? Thanks.

chaim
December 2, 2005, 01:56 PM
Where is the DuClaw at Arundel Mills relative to Bowie? Thanks.
I don't know for sure since I pretty much only go there for the Bass Pro Shop but I think DuClaw is at Arundel Mills Mall. I don't think that is very far from Bowie.

If in Bowie, you are down Rt. 50 near Crofton, correct? If so, you can take 50 to Rt 100 and Arundel Mills Mall will be a few miles down Rt 100. You can also get to Rt 175 and go towards On Target. I'm not sure the name of the street, but as you pass the shopping center where On Target is located you will come to a light, make a right turn (there is a gas station on one side, and just after you make your turn there will be a Highs store in the shopping center to your right), this street will end in a couple miles at the Arundel Mills Mall.

Whatever way you go you are probably within about 20-30 minutes from there, maybe 30-45min during rush hour.

one45auto
December 2, 2005, 04:06 PM
I hate working Thursday and Friday nights....:banghead:

December 2, 2005, 07:03 PM
Dumb on me. That's what "mapquest" is for... Just asked the Son-in-Law. He said just run up Rte 50 and take 100 W exit just before BWI exit.

Spot77
December 2, 2005, 07:03 PM
I hate working Thursday and Friday nights

I know, but somebody has to do it.

It's tough trying to get these things together with so many people having different schedules, so we picked a Thursday night for some of the folks that work weekends.

Plus it gives me a convenient excuse to not go to work Friday morning. :evil:

Looking forward to seeing you all in less than a week.

Novus Collectus
December 2, 2005, 07:13 PM
I don't know for sure since I pretty much only go there for the Bass Pro Shop but I think DuClaw is at Arundel Mills Mall. I don't think that is very far from Bowie.

If in Bowie, you are down Rt. 50 near Crofton, correct? If so, you can take 50 to Rt 100 and Arundel Mills Mall will be a few miles down Rt 100. You can also get to Rt 175 and go towards On Target. I'm not sure the name of the street, but as you pass the shopping center where On Target is located you will come to a light, make a right turn (there is a gas station on one side, and just after you make your turn there will be a Highs store in the shopping center to your right), this street will end in a couple miles at the Arundel Mills Mall.

Whatever way you go you are probably within about 20-30 minutes from there, maybe 30-45min during rush hour.
What he said, but don't take Rt. 50. Take Rt. 301 until it turns into Rt. 3 (not Buis. 3) and then turns into Rt. 97 after that....and then take Rt. 100. I live in Bowie and I have been to Arundel Mills more than a few times.

one45auto
December 2, 2005, 09:01 PM
I know, but somebody has to do it.

It's tough trying to get these things together with so many people having different schedules, so we picked a Thursday night for some of the folks that work weekends.

Plus it gives me a convenient excuse to not go to work Friday morning. :evil:

I know, it's just that I had such a great time meeting everyone last year and hate to miss yet another get-together, especially at Arundel Mills. :(

However even though the hours aren't exactly the best for having a social life, the job does pay very well. :)

Norton
December 5, 2005, 06:20 AM
Bumparoo.....:D

Trip20
December 5, 2005, 09:59 AM
Darnit... why can't ya'll organize something like this in July! I'm from Baltimore... that's when I'm home every year to visit family.

"Ain't da beer cold!"

Spot77
December 5, 2005, 02:42 PM
Well July sounds like a fine time to do it again, and have a few outdoor shoots as well.

Something Norton and I have discussed before is that we spend so much time defending our gun rights that we rarely get the chance to exercise them.

So in 2006, I shall be disappointed in myself if I don't shoot at least 25,000 rounds out of all my guns combined.

Hell, I should go through 4 or 5 bricks of .22lr alone in the first 6 months.

Norton
December 5, 2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe we need a MD THR trap tournament.......:D

Spot77
December 6, 2005, 01:55 PM
Ummm....I think we ALL know who would win.

(Hint: NOT you or me)

Norton
December 6, 2005, 02:06 PM
Ummm....I think we ALL know who would win.

(Hint: NOT you or me)

At least *I'd* have a chance at 2nd place :neener: :D

Dave McCracken
December 6, 2005, 07:58 PM
I'll try to make it. WW is working I think, and if I behave all day my blood sugar should stand a pint of good stuff.

Ohen Cepel
December 6, 2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry guys, looks like I'll have to pass this time.

Have one for me though! (or more:D )

Norton
December 6, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'll try to make it. WW is working I think, and if I behave all day my blood sugar should stand a pint of good stuff.

That's great Dave...it's been far too long that we've had your company! Looking forward to it.

Norton
December 6, 2005, 08:46 PM
Sorry guys, looks like I'll have to pass this time.

Have one for me though! (or more:D )

Too bad Steve....I'll try to step up to the plate and drink your share :p

Spot77
December 6, 2005, 08:59 PM
At last count, we have roughly 15 people showing up, including a few new people and a few from similar forums.

Mmmmmmmmm....can't wait for a pint of porter!

Live Free Or Die
December 7, 2005, 11:41 PM
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but...what time is the uh, uh...what-have-you?

And just a friendly admonition: there's a chance the snow/sleet storm will be hitting us by the time we leave DuClaw, and driving on icy roads at night is difficult enough without drinking a few beers first. I hope everyone who shows up to uses extra caution when driving home; I haven't had a chance to try out any of your guns yet, and I'd hate for something terrible like a car accident to cut short that possibility. :D

DelayedReaction
December 8, 2005, 01:12 AM
Still 7:00 at Arundel Mills DuClaws, right?

I'll be there!

Norton
December 8, 2005, 05:22 AM
Live Free or Die,

Good point as always. However, the weather man says that it won't start until later this evening :rolleyes: (weather service is never wrong is it?:p )

Besides, that's why my wife is coming....she doesn't like beer as much as I do :D

Spot77
December 8, 2005, 07:54 AM
I haven't had a chance to try out any of your guns yet, and I'd hate for something terrible like a car accident to cut short that possibility.

No kidding. Unless of course, one of you has left me some nice guns in your will. :evil:

Besides, that's why my wife is coming....she doesn't like beer as much as I do

And you still married her? :neener:

See you all tonight. I've been looking forward to this f or a while. Best part is, I don't have to work tomorrow. And almost as good is that I'll be at the beach all weekend - Fri, Sat and Sun. Without the kids :D

Superreverb
December 8, 2005, 11:49 AM
Since my wife is working from home today (she normally gets home around 7:30 if she goes into the office), I will be able to attend!!! Hope to meet you all there!

Norton:

At least *I'd* have a chance at 2nd place

Think again :D

Ed

deker
December 8, 2005, 02:25 PM
I'll definitely be in attendance. Look for the bald guy w/ glasses, black jeans, and a Blue shirt w/ tribaly patterns on it. Of course a few of you may recognise me, but...

Are we meeting in the bar or the sit-down side?

-d

Spot77
December 8, 2005, 02:44 PM
Bar side. There will likely be too many of us to sit at a table or booth, but we can arrange the tables on the bar side to reaonably accomodate us.

chaim
December 8, 2005, 05:58 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing you guys and I am off work tomorrow but I doubt I'll make it, I'm just too exausted today.

I just walked in the door coming home from work about 5 minutes ago. I was there from 6:45AM until 4:30, and I had to stop and buy some food (the delay wasn't all from traffic). While at work today (I work at a psychiatric hospital) we had 4 patients who got so out of hand we had to take them to the seclusion room. All four refused to cooperate and had to be taken there (dragged or carried as appropriate/possible) kicking and screaming (literally). One during the take down (where we drop them onto a mat) and while holding him while waiting on his meds got a hold on my wrist and dug his nails in pretty good. Any wound at work where the patient draws blood on an employee is considered a big deal (infection worries, possible exposure to HIV, Hepatitis, etc). Lots of paperwork and I was required to get medical attention. Anyway, I'm fine, but it was an exausting day.

If I get a second wind I'll go join you, but I'm probably going to end up vegging out in front of the computer or TV tonight.

Spot77
December 8, 2005, 10:37 PM
ahhhhh....that was more fun than a barrel of monkeys on speed.

Pleasure to meet some of you finally, and I hope everybody had a safe trip home.

Luckily, Norton and I had the Admiral as our personal driver :D

Norton
December 8, 2005, 10:43 PM
Good times,

We had me, the Admiral, surperreverb, DorGunr, Live Free or Die, Chris Rhines , Spot77 and Deker.

Good times, good food and most importantly some very good beer.

Thanks for coming out tonight guys......I really needed this.

DelayedReaction
December 8, 2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it. My class went longer than I thought.

Stupid graduate school, making me work for a degree. :cuss:

Norton
December 9, 2005, 05:24 AM
All four refused to cooperate and had to be taken there (dragged or carried as appropriate/possible) kicking and screaming (literally). One during the take down (where we drop them onto a mat) and while holding him while waiting on his meds got a hold on my wrist and dug his nails in pretty good. Any wound at work where the patient draws blood on an employee is considered a big deal (infection worries, possible exposure to HIV, Hepatitis, etc). Lots of paperwork and I was required to get medical attention. Anyway, I'm fine, but it was an exausting day.

.....and you thought that your substitute teaching gig was rough :what:

Glad to hear that it wasn't any worse than it was.

chaim
December 9, 2005, 06:46 AM
.....and you thought that your substitute teaching gig was rough :what:

Glad to hear that it wasn't any worse than it was.

Sometimes this job is more relaxing and sometimes more "eventful". Yesterday I was in the kids unit (5-13yo kids) which actually is why we could carry one of the kids who resisted, and why it was more likely to be so eventful. Anyway, the biggest difference between what I'm doing now and substitute teaching is that most of the time I left frustrated and really didn't enjoy my day when subbing, while in my current job I usually love it- my only real complaints are the scheduling (which is understandable anyway due to the 24/7 scheduling needs) and the pay (I took a $10K pay cut for a job related to what I want to do which will help with grad school admissions, which I got, and also so I could actually get usable tuition reimbursement, ours is so low it is a joke and when they gave me the job offer they told me it was "competitive" :banghead: ).

Dave McCracken
December 9, 2005, 09:16 AM
Sorry I missed it, had lunch from the wrong place and got good and sick. Sounds like a good time, alas.

anapex
December 9, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry I missed it too, GirlWithAGun and I even had a babysitter lined up. I ended being sick and sleeping on the couch when we were supposed to be meeting up. Oh that's just an excuse to get something else planned right?

Norton
December 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
Dave and anapex,

Sorry you guys were sick....hope it passes quickly. We'll catch you next time.

crofrog
December 9, 2005, 03:46 PM
Me and a friend where there at 7 but then relized we had no ????ing way of finding you. So we tried for a few minutes asking around. Then we left.

Norton
December 9, 2005, 03:52 PM
Dangone.....sorry you didn't see us. :(

We were right across from the bar against the wall. We had on our blue Maryland Shall Issue hats as advertisement.

We'll catch you the next time around.

tall2tango
January 5, 2006, 10:00 AM
DRAT!! This is what happens when I get busy and drift away...I miss things.

If you do one of these again, please include me on your notification list.

Best wishes to all for a safe, healthy and prosperous 2006.

Lambo
January 5, 2006, 09:41 PM
It's January and the Maryland Legislature will be back in Session soon. Now is the time to organize and set the Agenda. Anybody for a get together to form a plan of Action to take to Annapolis this year?

Spot77
January 6, 2006, 10:45 PM
January 15th is a meeting open to ALL members of MarylandShallIssue.org. So even if you only get the emails, it's worth coming to the meeting and sharing your ideas.

Check the webpage for details.

Norton
January 7, 2006, 03:45 AM
January 15th is a meeting open to ALL members of MarylandShallIssue.org. So even if you only get the emails, it's worth coming to the meeting and sharing your ideas.

Check the webpage for details.

Is this in addition to the get together in Annapolis on January 16th?

Lambo
January 7, 2006, 09:01 PM
Just as a reminder the Shoots http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=173183
start next Sunday. Anybody here going?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marylanders - Time For Some Social Fun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!