NoVA Lives!

PDA

KONY
November 2, 2005, 12:07 AM
Well guys,

Looks like our mega-thread was terminated. I did write to P95Carry to express my displeasure and he stated he was merely acting at the request of other posters. With that said, he stated that is was not a warning or anything. Just a reminder to avoid mega-threads, in general and try to create newer threads to correspond with events.

Thus, we will have our next shoot this Friday (same time, same place). We should use that time to discuss this month's Magnum Night over dinner. Seems that the 4th Wednesday of November is on the 23rd (day before Thanksgiving). I realize that many folks may be out-of-town (I likely will be) so maybe we should push it back to the week after (Wednesday, Nov 30th)?

P.S.: I really miss our old thread! :(

If you enjoyed reading about "NoVA Lives!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sinsaba
November 2, 2005, 06:26 AM
Actually, I'm more in favor of the Wednesday before the normal magnum night (That would be the 16th).

Why would anybody complain about a long thread? I think someone got jealous! :neener:

KONY
November 2, 2005, 07:53 AM
Actually, I'm more in favor of the Wednesday before the normal magnum night (That would be the 16th).

Why would anybody complain about a long thread? I think someone got jealous! :neener:

Yea, I think there was some jealousy involved. However, plenty of other long threads (not as long as ours) still going so I wonder if they'll get closed.

As for having Magnum night on the 16th, that works for me too. We'll see what the others say when they get to chime in.

mtnbkr
November 2, 2005, 07:56 AM
The 16th should work for me. It'll give me a final opportunity to sight my gun in before I take it hunting that weekend.

*Crosses fingers and hopes he's ready to shoot this friday...

Chris

Sinsaba
November 2, 2005, 09:16 AM
here it is (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=122120)

At least if we want some information in it we won't have a hard time finding it again.

countertop
November 2, 2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for getting this one up and running again KONY!

Not sure about my schedule yet for the rest of the month (I do want to get out the weekend of the 19th and need to site my gun in).

I also contacted P95Carry and agree that the thread was closed down simply because it was too long and for the purpose of trying to break it up into multiple threads.

Smurfslayer
November 2, 2005, 12:10 PM
There's always the cheesy, free to my domain message board on bighammer.net ;-) <-- Halloween pics that we briefly talked about in the OLD thread for VA are up. check the message board.

I've already got shooting scheduled for the 9th... Why not just move Magnum night for Nov. '05 to Friday Nov. 25th ?

I can certainly see not trying to meet up on the 23rd - the travel day from Hell. On the Plus side, if we hold Magnum night on "Black Friday" spouses, significant others, and life partners will be at the malls nearby, meaning more lanes available to shoot :cool:

I'm up for Nov. 25th...

Sinsaba
November 2, 2005, 12:43 PM
I've got to work that day anyway so is good for me!

mtnbkr
November 2, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'll be chasing bambi in SW Va that day. Have fun folks. :)

Chris

KONY
November 2, 2005, 06:08 PM
Well, I probably won't make it on the 25th as I'll probably be on my way back home if we decide to head to NY for Turkey Day. But thats still TBA. We can still do the 16th or 30th for Magnum Night though.

Smurfslayer
November 2, 2005, 06:33 PM
Hey I'm only posing the 25th as an alternative, the 30th could be good...

Sinsaba
November 2, 2005, 07:14 PM
30th would work for me... I'm easy. But I'm not cheap!

KONY
November 2, 2005, 08:54 PM
30th would work for me... I'm easy. But I'm not cheap!

That's not what I've heard! :uhoh:

:neener:

Smurfslayer
November 2, 2005, 09:47 PM
That's not what I've heard!

B!tch. You said you wouldn't tell.

I had the FNC out tonight at Shooters Purgatory.
MUWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sinsaba
November 2, 2005, 09:52 PM
We doing anything special this Friday? I'm trying to think of something but nothing's happening :banghead:

KONY
November 2, 2005, 11:32 PM
We doing anything special this Friday? I'm trying to think of something but nothing's happening :banghead:

I'm bringing something special ... to me, at least. :)

Slateman
November 3, 2005, 12:09 AM
I'm bringing something special ... to me, at least. :)

Yes, well, your kid is hardly special to us :neener: j/k was good to see a youngin practicing his marksmanship.

To quote the great philosopher, Eric Cartman, this is, "Weak man. Totally weak." Why couldn't we keep the old thread? :cuss: :(

Sinsaba
November 3, 2005, 05:52 AM
Yes, well, your kid is hardly special to us :neener: j/k was good to see a youngin practicing his marksmanship.

To quote the great philosopher, Eric Cartman, this is, "Weak man. Totally weak." Why couldn't we keep the old thread? :cuss: :(

Well... for one thing we don't run the place? :cool:

KONY
November 3, 2005, 08:20 AM

Yeah, he really likes my latest addition ...

http://members.cox.net/lukev326/SKS_1.jpg

Sinsaba
November 3, 2005, 08:51 AM
Sweet! You bringing your new toy on Friday?

Smurfslayer
November 3, 2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, he really likes my latest addition ...

http://members.cox.net/lukev326/SKS_1.jpg

That's not tactical. Where's the bayonet?:neener:

Would one of you fine gentlemen :scrutiny: cell me w/ Friday's dinner location? Gotta work 'til 8... PM me for Cell#...

mtnbkr
November 3, 2005, 09:46 AM
I'd like to suggest something like Golden Corral. It's CCW and child friendly. :)

Chris

Slateman
November 3, 2005, 05:32 PM
I'd like to suggest something like Golden Corral. It's CCW and child friendly. :)

Chris

Where is it?

mtnbkr
November 3, 2005, 06:33 PM
The nearest one to NRA that I know of is in Manassas, right off I66.

Chris

KONY
November 3, 2005, 06:40 PM
Sweet! You bringing your new toy on Friday?

Yup! I traded my P11 for it yesterday. Guy also threw in a soft case and 100 rounds so I'm good to go. :cool: Its not pristine but should be a good starter rifle. I waited way too long to get one!

That's not tactical. Where's the bayonet?

Yeah, this is a Chinese Paratrooper model with a 16.5" barrel. When imported, the bayonets were removed because they were "non-sporting". As far as tactical, it does have an inexpensive scope. Does that get me any tactical points? :confused:
:p

KONY
November 3, 2005, 06:41 PM
Chris

I'd go for it. There is also Old Country Buffet, which is closer (Fair City Mall off Main Street).

Well Regulated
November 3, 2005, 07:02 PM
I didn't know Walmart sold rifles like that?

mtnbkr
November 3, 2005, 07:23 PM
Speaking of wallyworld, while I was there tonight (needed some shop rags and 30-30 ammo), a guy in line was buying a Thompson Bobcat muzzleloader for $55! At that price, I almost bought one myself. Unfortunately, it would end up languishing with my Remington 700ML because I can only shoot it at Clark Bros. :banghead:

Chris

KONY
November 3, 2005, 07:24 PM
I didn't know Walmart sold rifles like that?

Walmart actually sells some pretty damn nice rifles. They recently started selling CZs and Steyrs. :cool:

Slateman
November 3, 2005, 09:09 PM
The nearest one to NRA that I know of is in Manassas, right off I66.

Chris

Manassas?!? Ummm . . . hmmm . . . Golden Corral better be damn good to go out that far. I dunno, if everyone else wants to I will. I just may have to fill up on gas first.

Can I borrow some money guys? :p

KONY
November 3, 2005, 09:39 PM
Can I borrow some money guys? :p

Ummm ... ask Sinsaba! See his quote below ...

I'm easy. But I'm not cheap!

KONY
November 3, 2005, 09:44 PM
Trade your Glock 17 or 26 for this AR-15 ...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=306758

Sinsaba
November 3, 2005, 09:48 PM
:cuss: you KONY!!

:banghead:

What should I do!! How can I NOT jump on that? But then... how can I trade my 1st Glock?

Sinsaba
November 3, 2005, 09:54 PM
<sigh>... I offered up my G19. I hope he takes it!

KONY
November 3, 2005, 10:43 PM
:cuss: you KONY!!

:banghead:

What should I do!! How can I NOT jump on that? But then... how can I trade my 1st Glock?

LoL ... don't blame the messenger! :D

Slateman
November 4, 2005, 12:15 AM
LoL ... don't blame the messenger! :D

That implies that the messenger is not on the take! We all know that to be different in your case . . . .:D

hightech
November 4, 2005, 12:26 AM
Well... for one thing we don't run the place?

You mean the inmates are not incharge? :o

I just want to know if we have the record for the longest thread. :confused:

Trade your Glock 17 or 26 for this AR-15 ...

Don't feel bad, Kony's has run me out of money twice now and I know he is ploting the next one. :uhoh:

KONY
November 4, 2005, 12:56 AM
That implies that the messenger is not on the take! We all know that to be different in your case . . . .:D

Sssshhh ... keep your mouth shut and I'll cut you in. ;)

I just want to know if we have the record for the longest thread.

Sure do! :cool:

Don't feel bad, Kony's has run me out of money twice now and I know he is ploting the next one.

I'm currently mulling over what I'll "coerce" you into buying next! :evil:

hightech
November 4, 2005, 01:02 AM
Hey Kony, we are the only members logged in right now [0059].
Good night, I have to go to work today and have a BP class on Sat.
I will have the new [to me] K-22 and model 61 on the range about 1600 on Sat. :neener:

KONY
November 4, 2005, 01:05 AM
Hey Kony, we are the only members logged in right now [0059].
Good night, I have to go to work today and have a BP class on Sat.
I will have the new [to me] K-22 and model 61 on the range about 1600 on Sat. :neener:

G'night, sir! I'm retiring right now myself. Enjoy the shoot. You owe me on next Magnum Night! ;)

Slateman
November 4, 2005, 09:50 AM
Sssshhh ... keep your mouth shut and I'll cut you in. ;)

How much? :D

Smurfslayer
November 4, 2005, 12:20 PM
Manassty? :what: Yikes.

Mexican? we haven't had that in a while.

I relearned a valuable lesson Wed. night. Loose shirts are an invitation to showering brass. The S/P lane dividers are fairly close, and create a "pinball" effect for brass. I had brass bouncing off the right divider, then the left wall. It was like it was raining .223 brass :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yup, you guessed it, Smurflayer took a spent 5.56 brass down the back of his unbuttoned shirt. E. OW. I did not drop the rifle, or point it anywhere but down range and in order to maintain my tactical points, finished out the 3 shot burst that was firing _on target_. I noticed this AM that I have a coincidentally 5.56 size burn mark on my back. :mad:

the ".223 rain effect" has me thinking a kevlar lid might not be such a bad investment too ;)

KONY
November 4, 2005, 05:24 PM
How much? :D

Not sure. Got a resume?:D

KONY
November 4, 2005, 05:25 PM
Smurf,

Did you ever send anyone your cell #? I am heading out in a few so if you need a call, send it quick. :)

Smurfslayer
November 4, 2005, 05:33 PM
Sinsaba has it!

I could be shooting...

RIGHT NOW...

if I didn't need the money :banghead:

KONY
November 4, 2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.fubarhill.com/temp/BikerChicks.jpg

:D

KONY
November 5, 2005, 11:10 AM
Sinsaba,

Well, I guess I'm just going to split that box o' .357 with ya. They have no more 7.62x39 left. :(

However, last night we were discussing Olympic ammo, here's a post from the SKS forum ...

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2585

Sinsaba
November 5, 2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&ammoRecID=1&brand=FA&prodID=FAXM193PD

If so we have a problem... they're out! How dare they?

Slateman
November 5, 2005, 03:54 PM
Well pink shirt couldn't make it. Pink shirt had a study date. The study date appreciates a pink shirt far more than you guys :neener: :D

On a more firearms related note, I have been informed that my application for concealed gun permit has been approved. :) Of course, I have to wait till Monday to pick it up :cuss:

Leads me to a question: Whats the rule with regards to carrying in a state or local park?

KONY
November 5, 2005, 07:59 PM
Was at Bernie's today ... there was a P-01 there for $395. The XD sub-compact I was eyeing was snatched up though. :(

KONY
November 5, 2005, 11:22 PM
Anyone buy their 7.62x39 at gun shows? If so, who has the best deal on Wolf?

mtnbkr
November 5, 2005, 11:27 PM
My brother bought his last 500 rounds from the Chantilly show this summer. Dunno which dealer, but they were all within a dollar or two of each other.

I take the SKS is a keeper? :D

Chris

KONY
November 5, 2005, 11:34 PM
My brother bought his last 500 rounds from the Chantilly show this summer. Dunno which dealer, but they were all within a dollar or two of each other.

I take the SKS is a keeper? :D

Chris

Yup! I was really happy with the way it shot. Now, I only shot it at 35 feet but I gotta start somewhere. I'm really glad I have the Paratrooper as I still got "arm-weary" pretty quick. But I just need to put in the time to work on my mechanics. :)

KONY
November 5, 2005, 11:38 PM
870's for $125 at Wal-Mart?!!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=164286

Anyone know if the local ones have this offer going?

Smurfslayer
November 6, 2005, 05:33 PM
Sinsaba: Yes, those are the ones!

Ok guys, Gun o' the week will be the Beretta PX4 Storm. I traded my seldom used full size Witness .45 (actually sold it outright not 10' after walking in the D/C show). Dale City. Aside from being in Prince William County, the show staff is friendly, courteous and has no problem with ammo, or you loading up before leaving. This is a step in the right direction. Anyway, Trader Jerry had them for $520 w/ 3 mags.

For those not in the know, the PX4 is Beretta USA's response to the LE / Gov't contract sales being chiseled away at by Sig, H&K w/ their fancy triggers, and dissatisfied Glock contracts. Sinsaba, no offense, but how many times can your department stand to replace the entire service pistol itself and still call them serviceable...2? 3?

At a certain class recently, I listened to someone explain how Glocks warranty was only limited to a couple of years... But they have always just fixed broken guns free - But wait :scrutiny: broken guns? :scrutiny:

then went on to explain how he got a handful of replacement parts at some Glock sponsored event to fix a broken one:scrutiny: broken what I wonder? Obviously the truth is somewhere between they never break and they break all the time, and I liken this to the cult of the Mac10 which has a similar rap in the Submachine gun world, albeit a little more "Barrio". A lot of shooters have a bit of an imagination about how reliable their pet gun is. My Mac is a cheap piece of heavy steel that works about 90-95% reliability, probably 98-99 on factory rounds - BUT that means about 5 malfs in a range session for me... I've actually seen some of the Glock guys come off the line after breaking a part, look someone in the eye and proclaim that same gun has never failed... :scrutiny:

I must not have that kind of success, because I've had several guns which didn't stack up or broke. Among them: An SKS, 2 Mossberg 500's, a Sears 12 gauge, 2 Beretta 96's, Taurus PT145 and I'm sure I'm shorting a few. Anyway, back to the PX4 Storm. If none of you ever shot a Beretta 8k series Cougar, well, it was ok. Not spectacular, but OK. Compact but HEAVY. The PX4 took the stronger rotating barrel operating system of the Cougar and enlarged/modularized it to try and bring it "mainstream". Reassembling the Cougar was an absolute B!tch because you could not keep the rotating barrel & lug assembly from moving while replacing the slide. This alone was enough for me to sell the 8040 I had. The PX4 addresses this, but weakly IMO. It's still more intricate to reassemble, but it does lock in place w/o moving, thus allowing easier reassembly. Nowhere close to the modified Browning design, but enough to bring Beretta into the "ease of maintenance" league of the other top designs. The PX4 is hammer fired, a preference of mine, and I think the action feels very, very good. Trigger pull is a long, but not ridiculous double action at about 9-10 pounds, smooth, no stacking. Actually very, very good as far as DA/SA guns go. S/A is about 4.5 pounds(?) - just guessing here - typical of Beretta. Reset is positive, but not as positive as H&K LEM, Glock, P99. As good possibly better than other DA/SA offerings.

Ergos: Excellent. The slide release is reachable for average hands, trigger reach is good, safety/decocker I'm undecided on. I don't like mechanical safeties, but I'll give it a fair chance. No accessories I can find yet, but my initial impressions are favorable.

I'm light on 9mm, so if you want to put any serious rounds through the G.O.W., pick up some and give Smurfslayer a hand wringing out the new gun. :cool: Let's see if the oldest gun company has put out a winner, also ran, or dog...

KONY
November 6, 2005, 05:43 PM
I'm light on 9mm, so if you want to put any serious rounds through the G.O.W., pick up some and give Smurfslayer a hand wringing out the new gun. :cool: Let's see if the oldest gun company has put out a winner, also ran, or dog...

Hmmm ... OK! You talked me into it! :D

I've actually seen some of the Glock guys come off the line after breaking a part, look someone in the eye and proclaim that same gun has never failed...

Sounds like a case of mistaken identity ... surely, you must've mistaken their gun for a Glock. :D

Sinsaba
November 6, 2005, 08:26 PM
... Sinsaba, no offense, but how many times can your department stand to replace the entire service pistol itself and still call them serviceable...2? 3? ...

... Obviously the truth is somewhere between they never break and they break all the time ...

You will find me unlike a large number of Glock owners. Yes, I swear by my G17. Yes, I have yet to see a pistol that is easier to maintain. and Yes, it isn't perfection.

This implement has moving parts therefore it can and will break. I have yet to have one break but then I've only put about 5K - 8K through my G17 and 2K through my G19. There is plenty of time. Right after I got my G17 I had one count them one failure to eject (my own doing not being used to it I "limp wristed" it. Once my trouble was explained to me I have never done it again). I feel that the Glock series of pistols are fine guns.

However, I'm not part of this cult that thinks the sun shines out of Gaston Glock's A**

For example the Styer M9 I bought feels much better than my G19, it carries better than my G19 (being thinner it isn't as inclined to print), and with the Blade tech holster I bought it fairly leaps into my hand when I reach for it. I need to practice with it more as I'm not as accurate with it as I am with my Glocks. The biggest down side that I see is that after 200 - 400 rounds you actually have to clean it because it will malfunction if you don't (just to see, I have put upwards of 1000 rounds through my G17 without cleaning it and no problems at all).

Again, good points and bad points.

I'm not sure what you meant about replacing the entire service pistol 2 to 3 times. Could you enlighten me?

KONY
November 6, 2005, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure what you meant about replacing the entire service pistol 2 to 3 times. Could you enlighten me?

Yea, I'd like to know about the replacements as well. I, for one, really have nothing against the Glock as I just pick on them in jest because they're the popular pick at this time. I do feel, however, that it does leave alot to be desired ergonomically. However, I recognize that reliability is their main selling point, which I cannot attest to because I have not owned one. Probably never will either unless their pricing gets more competitive. I wonder if this will happen soon as the competition seems to be catching up. :scrutiny:

Sinsaba
November 6, 2005, 08:47 PM
Order placed to Natchess

500 rounds .357

Half of the .357 (including shipping) is $52. Should arrive by Friday.

BTW KONY, when I opened the paint I couldn't get it to mix... (pigment had separated otu) how long have you had that?

Smurfslayer
November 6, 2005, 08:48 PM
Here I was just about to follow up about how Mike shoots next to me frequently, and you never see him shaking his head, tinkering w/ his poly-pistol etc....

You're right, they're fine; everyone produces bad examples in an otherwise good line...

A couple of times, DC MPD has had the entire inventory of glocks replaced. It made the WaPo at least once. I heard some MPD officers whining about them early in the 90's at Myrtle Grove (southern MD shooting range). I was also witness to a couple of the early guns' malfs there. I balance that experience with the current line, which is quite obviously using a proven operating system, and doing it well enough to stay in business. Every once in a while though, the company makes a screw up. The "frame replacent" program a while back, the 60 minutes endorsement of gun control - which the company stands by still... There have been a couple of other medium profile department level incidents. Moreso than other manufacturers? I don't know. I don't think they were the hot ***** everyone made them out to be at first, but much moreso now, for sure. Alas, like the vaunted 1911 there's reality and how folks "fondly remember" them ;) And that's with every gun.

So...Are you going to join Smurfslayer's & Kony's band of merry men and help wring the crap out of this new PX4 or what? :evil:

KONY
November 6, 2005, 08:58 PM
Order placed to Natchess

500 rounds .357

Half of the .357 (including shipping) is $52. Should arrive by Friday.

Cool. :cool:

BTW KONY, when I opened the paint I couldn't get it to mix... (pigment had separated otu) how long have you had that?

Um, a few months. I never opened any of them so I wouldn't know. :confused:

KONY
November 6, 2005, 09:03 PM
So...Are you going to join Smurfslayer's & Kony's band of merry men and help wring the crap out of this new PX4 or what? :evil:

Tough job but someone's gotta do it. ;)

Sinsaba
November 6, 2005, 10:04 PM
...So...Are you going to join Smurfslayer's & Kony's band of merry men and help wring the crap out of this new PX4 or what? :evil:

Count on it!! I wouldn't feel right about leaving all that work to you two!!

Besides, I'd really like to try some Beretta besides the Storm! There's another poly gun that had problems in the beginning but it seems as if they have them worked out for now.

Smurfslayer
November 6, 2005, 10:35 PM
Alright, now there's 3 of us. What a coincidence - I have 3 magaziness for the PX4... I think you're talking about their 9k guns. I've not heard a lot about them, and what I have heard has been no better than third hand. One of the common threads I personally noticed between the 90 series and 8k series was that the 9mm worked very well, the .40's not as well.

I think it's good to see the "Wundernine" making a comeback, competition improves the breed. I took the PX4 apart to get the excess oil off, and the reassembly is good, and better than the 8k series, but not as simple as some out there. One nice thing about them, no magazine safety.

This gun is going to get a thorough work out...

countertop
November 7, 2005, 01:20 AM
Had A G23 for a long time and put a lot of rounds through it. Never had a problem and trusted it as well (or even more) than any other gun I have ever owned.

However, it hurt my hand to shoot it. I think it was a combination of the .40 S&W ammo and the medium sized plastic frame, but it had too much recoil and my wrists would ache after a range session, so I got rid of it.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to get one again in a split second (except for the fact that they are pretty ugly - I like the look of an exposed hammer)

Smurfslayer
November 7, 2005, 03:50 PM
I forgot to mention earlier:

Background check time for the D/C show was maybe 10 minutes, tops... Way better than the anti-gun C&E shows....

Of course, nowhere near as many people.

Among the 'treasures', some small autos with a "pink, pearl like" grip. That's the best I can describe it. So, I look over at TOWMBO "whaddaya think"?

Me: "I can see you with one of those"
TOWMBO: "shyeah. That is way to pimp."
Me: "It's pimp if it's a guy gun, but it's 'ho' if it's a chick gun"
TOWMBO: <scowls disapprovingly>
Me: "what"
TOWMBO: "don't you have a gun to buy or something?"

:D :D :D Sometimes I'm so good, I amaze myself.

Sinsaba
November 7, 2005, 04:16 PM
... Among the 'treasures', some small autos with a "pink, pearl like" grip. That's the best I can describe it. So, I look over at TOWMBO "whaddaya think"?

Me: "I can see you with one of those"
TOWMBO: "shyeah. That is way to pimp."
Me: "It's pimp if it's a guy gun, but it's 'ho' if it's a chick gun" ...

Would it still be pimp of Slateman bought it? :neener:

KONY
November 7, 2005, 04:16 PM
:D :D :D Sometimes I'm so good, I amaze myself.

Happens to me too. Now if I can figure out how to amaze the others around me. :)

Been thinking shotguns lately (damn you, Smurf!) and remembered that we never made good on our plan to visit Bull Run. I know next to nothing about rifles and even less about shotguns so I need to start furthering my education. As of right now, not sure if I could manage operating a pump (Remington 870/Mossberg 500, etc.) so I may need to "Pass go and collect a semi-auto" (Remington 1100). However, then I need to decide what guage as I want something all-purpose but don't know if I could handle a 12guage. Thoughts?

KONY
November 7, 2005, 04:18 PM
Would it still be pimp of Slateman bought it? :neener:

But of course ... anything for the ladies! :neener:

Sinsaba
November 7, 2005, 04:18 PM
I think someone in the know ought to take us shotgun deprived persons (SDPs) out for some show and tell! :D

KONY
November 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
I think someone in the know ought to take us shotgun deprived persons (SDPs) out for some show and tell! :D

Agreed! :)

mtnbkr
November 7, 2005, 04:30 PM
However, then I need to decide what guage as I want something all-purpose but don't know if I could handle a 12guage. Thoughts?

A 20g would be my first choice outside of the 12 for "general use". In fact, I kinda wish I had bought a 20 since most of my actual shooting is on the trap line, not hunting. It's still cheap to feed and powerful enough in the 3" loads to do most anything a 12 will do. A 16 is good, but not as common, so more expensive to feed. Anything smaller than 20 becomes too specialized to use as a GP gun.

I think you can handle a 12. My brother (we've talked about him) can shoot my 12g 870. He has trouble racking the slide, but he has no problem with the recoil. Recoil is mostly in the mind anyway. I can go 100rounds with my 12 in a day (how about several rounds of trap and skeet :evil: ). My shoulder is a bit tender at the end, but nothing I can't handle with a couple advil.

There's more to recoil than gauge. Proper fit, bore, gun weight, etc all play a role. A weighty and properly fitted 12 with a gentle forcing cone will be a pussycat to shoot, while the featherweight 20 with a sharp forcing cone and poor fit will turn you black and blue.

Have you considered a double? Either SxS or over/under? There are some good, yet inexpensive models out there now. Less fussy than a semi and fewer controls to mess with.

Chris

KONY
November 7, 2005, 04:40 PM
Have you considered a double? Either SxS or over/under? There are some good, yet inexpensive models out there now. Less fussy than a semi and fewer controls to mess with.
Chris

Nope, because I have no idea what constitutes a "double", "SxS" or "over/under". :) Thus, I will have to do more research into this. Also, if your brother could rack the 870 then maybe I can do it.

mtnbkr
November 7, 2005, 05:48 PM
Nope, because I have no idea what constitutes a "double", "SxS" or "over/under". :) Thus, I will have to do more research into this. Also, if your brother could rack the 870 then maybe I can do it.

A double is a two barreled shotgun. A SxS (side by side) is one where the barrels are next to each other (thing granny's shotgun in the Beverly Hillbillies). An over/under is a double barrel shotgun where the barrels are stacked on top of each other.

He can rack the gun, but not very well. I'm sure he would do better with practice, as will you.

Chris

KONY
November 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
A double is a two barreled shotgun. A SxS (side by side) is one where the barrels are next to each other (thing granny's shotgun in the Beverly Hillbillies). An over/under is a double barrel shotgun where the barrels are stacked on top of each other.

He can rack the gun, but not very well. I'm sure he would do better with practice, as will you.
Chris

Thanks for the break-down. I suspected that might be the distinction but wasn't sure. Now, as for the racking, the thing that concerns me is that if I wanted to use it for HD, I would probably be less able to rack it in a tense situation. This is why I prefer second-strike capability on my semi-auto pistols (or just a wheelgun instead). I hear even folks with full use of both arms question their ability to do this in such a situation. Plus, they say semi's make recreational shooting easier as well. Anyway, I look forward to learning from you guys. We need to get out to Bull Run on a good day and get me and Sinsaba up to speed. In the meantime, I will get more familiar with my SKS. :)

mtnbkr
November 7, 2005, 06:55 PM
I would probably be less able to rack it in a tense situation.
IMO, the gun should already be chambered. If not, then you'd have the same issue with a semi (actually worse since they have smaller bolt handles to grasp).

Chris

Slateman
November 7, 2005, 07:10 PM
Alright, now there's 3 of us. What a coincidence - I have 3 magaziness for the PX4... I think you're talking about their 9k guns. I've not heard a lot about them, and what I have heard has been no better than third hand. One of the common threads I personally noticed between the 90 series and 8k series was that the 9mm worked very well, the .40's not as well.

I think it's good to see the "Wundernine" making a comeback, competition improves the breed. I took the PX4 apart to get the excess oil off, and the reassembly is good, and better than the 8k series, but not as simple as some out there. One nice thing about them, no magazine safety.

This gun is going to get a thorough work out...

Ok, ok, ok, you twister my arm. I'll help too

:D

KONY
November 7, 2005, 07:48 PM
IMO, the gun should already be chambered. If not, then you'd have the same issue with a semi (actually worse since they have smaller bolt handles to grasp).

Good point. However, I was thinking about follow-up shots. Still, there's no substitute for practice. If I could work a pump confidently, I'd surely get one of them as their are much more reasonably priced. I really should call Wal-Mart to see if they're clearing any out.

KONY
November 7, 2005, 07:54 PM
These Ahrend's should be bought!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=164702

Sinsaba
November 7, 2005, 09:46 PM
... I really should call Wal-Mart to see if they're clearing any out.

I'll try to look out myself too there's one not too far from where I work. If I find out I'll let you know.

Well Regulated
November 7, 2005, 10:59 PM
Didn't somebody mention eating at Golden Coral restaurant?

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opnscvtx/1050358.txt

"The day after she ate at Golden Corral, Bussey was
still experiencing gastrointestinal disturbance and she went
to the emergency room where she was treated with intravenous
fluids and medications. The next day (two days after eating
at Golden Corral) she went to her treating physician, Dr.
Gaylord, who diagnosed her condition as food poisoning. She
was hospitalized for four days."

mtnbkr
November 7, 2005, 11:43 PM
Ahrends:

If you can't get the ones that guy is selling, you can order and receive a set straight from Ahrends in a week for about $66. email is ahrends@goldfieldaccess.net

re: golden corral.
We eat there about once a month. The only negative side effect is the tendency to overeat. :o
Actually, the one in Manassas is pretty good. It's usually so busy, the food doesn't sit out too long. :)

Shotguns: The Wallyworld in Leesburg had 20 gauge Winchester 1300s for $150. If I didn't already have an 870, I would've bought one. My dad has a 1300 and likes it.

Chris

Slateman
November 7, 2005, 11:51 PM
Ahrends:

If you can't get the ones that guy is selling, you can order and receive a set straight from Ahrends in a week for about $66. email is ahrends@goldfieldaccess.net

re: golden corral.
We eat there about once a month. The only negative side effect is the tendency to overeat. :o
Actually, the one in Manassas is pretty good. It's usually so busy, the food doesn't sit out too long. :)

Shotguns: The Wallyworld in Leesburg had 20 gauge Winchester 1300s for $150. If I didn't already have an 870, I would've bought one. My dad has a 1300 and likes it.

Chris

Ok, well if we all decide to go to GC, just let me know ahead of time so I can break my piggy bank for gas money :D

Smurfslayer
November 8, 2005, 09:07 AM
I think someone in the know ought to take us shotgun deprived persons (SDPs) out for some show and tell!

Well... I've got some maint scheduled for the scatterguns... :eek:

I need a couple weeks for readying...
And I still don't have a 'trap' gun. I've shot clay birds 1 time, and I can see the draw. In fact, I think most golf courses would be far better used if converted to trap ranges :evil:

Kony, you're going to need to actually try to manipulate the slide on a decent pump gun. Notwithstanding the hold, you will have to be able to actually cycle the pump rear, then forward by 3-3.5" or so. On a Semi, loading will be the same, but chambering and readying to fire is something you'll need to investigate too. Either type of double barrel may be easier, but again, this is a "YMMV" thing.

Slate, thanks for the help... Now we've got 4 lined up. It's looking to be a long night for the px4 ...:evil:

mtnbkr
November 8, 2005, 09:58 AM
In fact, I think most golf courses would be far better used if converted to trap ranges
One can dream...

Chris

KONY
November 8, 2005, 10:28 AM
Kony, you're going to need to actually try to manipulate the slide on a decent pump gun. Notwithstanding the hold, you will have to be able to actually cycle the pump rear, then forward by 3-3.5" or so. On a Semi, loading will be the same, but chambering and readying to fire is something you'll need to investigate too. Either type of double barrel may be easier, but again, this is a "YMMV" thing.

Yeah, I've got to see if that'll work for me. Looks to me that the semi's chamber rounds similar to my SKS but I may be mistaken.

Sinsaba
November 8, 2005, 10:35 AM
... Notwithstanding the hold, you will have to be able to actually cycle the pump rear, then forward by 3-3.5" or so. ...

I know this will sound ignorant... if only because it is seen in the movies. But, haven't I seen in the movies (*NO* I don't believe *EVERYTHING* I see in the movies) whereby one holds on to the pump with one hand and then jerks the entire gun in an upwards manner letting inertia actually "pump" the gun? Would this actually work?

Even if it did, somehow I think they might take issue at NRA... now then at blueridge...

Well Regulated
November 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yes, Sarah Connor might be able to do it while being chased by the Terminator, but if it can be done it is very difficult. First, it could only be done once a shell is fired because the pump action is released from being locked into battery. Otherwise, there is usually a button that has to be pushed to allow the action/pump to be moved rearward. That's how it works on a Remington 870.

mtnbkr
November 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
It's also rough on the gun. If I had to choose between that method and a different gun, I'd get another gun.

Chris

KONY
November 8, 2005, 10:56 AM
I know this will sound ignorant... if only because it is seen in the movies. But, haven't I seen in the movies (*NO* I don't believe *EVERYTHING* I see in the movies) whereby one holds on to the pump with one hand and then jerks the entire gun in an upwards manner letting inertia actually "pump" the gun? Would this actually work?

Even if it did, somehow I think they might take issue at NRA... now then at blueridge...

Good question. This might just be more of than Hollywood gun-handling ala flicking your revolver cylinder.

Smurfslayer
November 8, 2005, 12:29 PM
one holds on to the pump with one hand and then jerks the entire gun in an upwards manner letting inertia actually "pump" the gun? Would this actually work?

Yes, if you did it correctly. Just like you can cycle the slide on most semi-auto pistols by hooking the rear slide on your belt. Before anyone gasps in horror, I'm not advocating it, but I do know it's taught in some venues... It *can* be done, and under certain conditions it would be correct, but they are very limited. If you remember correctly, from your movie trivia, that scene was after Sarah was stabbed through the shoulder by the T1K. YMMV.

Concur on testing this method at black lung. Once the barrio shooters figure out what we're doing and try to imitate, we'll get some "low light" practice for sure...:uhoh:

KONY
November 8, 2005, 02:30 PM
Wondering if I should jump on one of those 1300's or wait til I get more info. A buck-fifty sounds pretty nice.

mtnbkr
November 8, 2005, 02:35 PM
Wondering if I should jump on one of those 1300's or wait til I get more info. A buck-fifty sounds pretty nice.
Well, if you do and don't like it, you could probably get your money back out of it AFTER the Wallyworld sale is over. Even if you sold it at a loss, it wouldn't be a large one.

Oh, and the 1300 is pretty smooth from the factory, making it easier to operate. The 870 Express is rougher and takes a few rounds to break in.

Chris

countertop
November 8, 2005, 03:04 PM
Isn't te 870 the most bling blanged pimped out shotgun ever?

I'd say jump in with both feet.

Heck, I might.

Sinsaba
November 8, 2005, 04:06 PM
For whatever it might be worth... one of the guys up at Blueridge was telling me that on resale you should get your money back. Therefore, I'm thinking that to have a shotgun to own it is a good/ok deal. However, it isn't the deal of a lifetime that some have posted. I'm not going to go out and buy 10 and make a mint.

This puts me squarely on the fence. I'm going to want a shotgun but it isn't as high on my list as other items. What's more, I'm not sure if this is the shotgun I'd want. There are other features I would want that this doesn't have (and am not sure if I could get).

This http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39663196 is closer to what I think I want.

On the other side... it *IS* affordable.

What to do ... what to do...

Sinsaba
November 8, 2005, 04:10 PM
BTW... Went to WW today and the only shotgun I saw there in the $150 range was a Mossberg Mavrick 12ga Pump and that was what I was talking about in the previous post.

KONY
November 8, 2005, 04:55 PM
BTW... Went to WW today and the only shotgun I saw there in the $150 range was a Mossberg Mavrick 12ga Pump and that was what I was talking about in the previous post.

Which Wal-Mart? Burke? Fair Oaks? :scrutiny:

Sinsaba
November 8, 2005, 06:53 PM
Uh... the one on Liberia Ave.

KONY
November 8, 2005, 08:24 PM
Uh... the one on Liberia Ave.

Ah, ok. I guess they might've run out. If I decide to buy, I may try the other two. Mtnbkr confirmed Lessburg so I could go straight there. Still undecided though.

hightech
November 9, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would go with a Mossberg predator, 18-1/2 inch barrel. It is a Mossberg 500 that you can use the stock or pistol grip that is included with it. Later if you want to shoot upland game you only need to buy an additional barrel and interchange it with the 18 inch one. I walked out of the last Chantilly show on the last day for $225.00. The Mossberg 500 has two slide rails instead of one, less chance of binding. Just my opinion. ;)

mtnbkr
November 9, 2005, 11:11 AM
The Mossberg 500 has two slide rails instead of one, less chance of binding
So does the 870. I dunno about the 1300, but it's a very smooth shotgun out of the box.

Chris

Smurfslayer
November 9, 2005, 11:17 AM
I've broken a couple Mossy 500 shotguns - 2 busted firing pins, and one that 'bound up' / failed to eject... YMMV. I think my next ones will be either Benelli, Saiga or Rem. FWIW, the Beretta 1201 - aka "Precious" has worked out really well.

My election musings on the bighammer message board
www.bighammer.net, bottom of the page, click on the message board link. Have at it, unless you're a moderator here, I won't censor any posts! :neener:

Smurfslayer
November 9, 2005, 08:41 PM
New November ICORE videos coming soon!

I put the PX4 through it's first 100 rounds tonight... WHAT?! you guys didn't think I was going to let you have first crack at a sleek Italian virgin, did you :neener: Pretty boring actually, it's accurate. No drama.

My initial impressions are that you do notice the "missing" weight from an all metal design. Ergos are very good, except for that decocker/safety lever. Which will probably soon find itself a decocker only...

I confirmed the trigger pull is good, a little creep in s/a, and the reset is longer than the "industry leaders", but certainly manageable. I think the gun is very easy to like... Let's see if I still feel that way after Friday's hopefully hellish testing by the enthusiastic hands of the FNG...

2040 EST, Videos still uploading, but keep an eye out:
http://www.bighammer.net/pages/10/index.htm

af1acura
November 10, 2005, 12:31 AM
Hello, I'm going to be up in the DC area this weekend sightseeing. I was wondering what gun stores would be good to visit on the way back. I'll be heading down to Hampton Roads on I-95 on the way back. I'm defenitely stopping by Quantico Arms, probably the one by Potomac mills. I was looking for stores that were close to I-95. Thanks

mtnbkr
November 10, 2005, 06:40 AM
I think that's about it. Everything else will be a large detour. Greentop is close to Richmond and only a very small detour from I95. That's a good place to stop (I'll be stopping by there on Friday when I drive to Victoria).

Here's their website: http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

Chris

Smurfslayer
November 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
While at Shooters last night for the match, I fondled a few shotguns, caressing their slide actions, stroking their... uhh... :uhoh: stocks.:neener:

They had the mossberg 590 & 870 express + extension side by side. The 590 was more pricey, and you could not "pre load" the action by pulling back. On the 870, you can "pre load" the action - pull back on it, and it will release as the trigger is pulled. With the 2 side by side, I liked the 870 a bit better, but the controls on the mossberg - to cycle without shooting, safety, etc. were a little better on the mossberg. I've seen the 870's at Dale City for $290, S/P had them for 300...

Slateman
November 10, 2005, 05:19 PM
While at Shooters last night for the match, I fondled a few shotguns, caressing their slide actions, stroking their... uhh... :uhoh: stocks.:neener:

Eww . . . http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/vomit.gif http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/vomit.gif http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/vomit.gif

. . . . ? http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/supergay.gif http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/distrub.gif

Smurfslayer
November 10, 2005, 08:27 PM
Pot.

Kettle...

Black...

KONY
November 10, 2005, 09:14 PM
Happy 230th Birthday, USMC!

KONY
November 10, 2005, 09:26 PM
NAA .22mag for sale in VA ...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458012

AK-74 in Fredricksburg ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39953035

Smith M63 in VA ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39755706

Well Regulated
November 11, 2005, 11:35 AM
The USMC did not exist in 1775, nor did any United States Military force. Reconciliation and not independence was still on the table at this time. On January 1, 1776 George Washington raises the Grand Union Flag, but this is a grand union of the colonies, not the states.

Smurfslayer
November 11, 2005, 01:14 PM
Then the currently celebrated Independence Day, should actually be renamed to "conception day", since the nation's birthday wouldn't really be viable until the ratification of the Constitution.

:scrutiny:

We can discuss this novel theory over a patriotic dinner tonight. After shooting. We haven't done good Italian lately - How about an old standby -Bueno Apetito? (behind Otani, on Metrotech Drive).

crucible
November 11, 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi folks! Is the shoot tonight? I probably can make it if it is, if y'all can spare room for another shooter.

As far as scatterguns: I have a farily new 870, with the new Knoxx Spec Ops stock that I was finally able to get to the range last week to try: what a blast! Recoil shooting 2.75 slugs is on par with a .223 out of an M16-no kidding. A few things I don't like about it, but no doubt, it works doggone well. (That, and the combo of an extended mag makes it well....not exactly Bull Run friendly :))

I also am shooting in what seems to be a very reliable new Dan Wesson 1911 that I've had for a few weeks now (already 400 rounds through her!). It got XS Big Dot sights on it (very quick to aquire at teh expense of slow fire precision), but it's shooting a bit left...I've got to find an appropriately sized hex wrench for it though as the holes are smaller than any I've got now.

And thanks for Happy Bday wishes. While there wasn't say, companies of Marines in formation in ranks in 1775, November 10th, 1775 *is* the day that the US Marine Corps was born in Tun Tavern, Philly, PA (Beer has always lured Marines :))

In the year 1685, Samuel Carpenter built a huge "brew house" in Philadelphia. He located this tavern on the waterfront at the corner of Water Street and Tun Alley. The old English word tun means a cask, barrel, or keg of beer. So, with his new beer tavern on Tun Alley, Carpenter elected to christen the new waterfront brewery with a logical name, Tun Tavern.

Tun Tavern quickly gained a reputation for serving fine beer. Beginning 47 years later in 1732, the first meetings of the St. John's No. 1 Lodge of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Temple were held in the tavern. An American of note, Benjamin Franklin, was its third Grand Master. Even today the Masonic Temple of Philadelphia recognizes Tun Tavern as the birthplace of Masonic teachings in America.

Roughly ten years later in the early 1740s, the new proprietor expanded Tun Tavern and gave the addition a new name, "Peggy Mullan's Red Hot Beef Steak Club at Tun Tavern." The new restaurant became a smashing commercial success and was patronized by notable Americans. In 1747 the St. Andrews Society, a charitable group dedicated to assisting poor immigrants from Scotland, was founded in the tavern.

Nine years later, then Col. Benjamin Franklin organized the Pennsylvania Militia. He used Tun Tavern as a gathering place to recruit a regiment of soldiers to go into battle against the Indian uprisings that were plaguing the American colonies. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Continental Congress later met in Tun Tavern as the American colonies prepared for independence from the English Crown.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas to raise two Battalions of Marines. That very day, Nicholas set up shop in Tun Tavern. He appointed Robert Mullan, then the proprietor of the tavern, to the job of chief Marine Recruiter -- serving, of course, from his place of business at Tun Tavern. Prospective recruits flocked to the tavern, lured by (1) cold beer and (2) the opportunity to serve in the new Corps of Marines. So, yes, the U.S. Marine Corps was indeed born in Tun Tavern. Needless to say, both the Marine Corps and the tavern thrived during this new relationship.

Tun Tavern still lives today. And, Tun Tavern beer is still readily available throughout the Philadelphia area. Further, through magazines it is advertised to Marines throughout the world.

Chris, former USMC, Chris

KONY
November 11, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi folks! Is the shoot tonight? I probably can make it if it is, if y'all can spare room for another shooter.

Heck ya! I was just asking about you at last week's shoot. We're shooting at the NRA @~6PM.

countertop
November 11, 2005, 02:40 PM
af1acura ,

Don't forget about "The Range (http://indoorrange.com/)" in Stafford.

Machine gun rentals DR:D :D :D :D :D :D L

crucible
November 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
Good deal-I'll be there (with the 870 too).

Chris

countertop
November 11, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'll be heading over to the NRA with my brother and father (and maybe mom) who are driving down from Jersey tonight. I've got to site in my rifle for next week. My dad's got a Glock (large frame .40 cal - not sure what model number) that he never gets to shoot and he's gonna be bringing that. Brother is going to have his Henry Golden Boy in .22 mag with him.

We won't be getting there till 8 or so though, so I might miss you (or simply catch the back end of you)

While at Shooters last night for the match, I fondled a few shotguns, caressing their slide actions, stroking their... uhh... stocks.

On second though, maybe I won't be catching your back end :neener:

but you get the point.

countertop
November 11, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'll be heading over to the NRA with my brother and father (and maybe mom) who are driving down from Jersey tonight. I've got to site in my rifle for next week. My dad's got a Glock 22 that he never gets to shoot and he's gonna be bringing that. Brother is going to have his Henry Golden Boy in .22 mag with him.

We won't be getting there till 8 or so though, so I might miss you (or simply catch the back end of you)

While at Shooters last night for the match, I fondled a few shotguns, caressing their slide actions, stroking their... uhh... stocks.

On second though, maybe I won't be catching your back end :neener:

but you get the point.

Sinsaba
November 12, 2005, 06:35 PM
Well, as you all know, I had some problem with my new ammunition I bought. I just sent them off an e-mail about it and we shall see what they have to say. I took a photo to show them but couldn't include it. In case anybody is interested, the photo is HERE (http://www.mrs-tech.net/chamber2.jpg). Maybe dave would care to offer comments (as he did to me on the range).

KONY
November 12, 2005, 06:46 PM
Well, as you all know, I had some problem with my new ammunition I bought. I just sent them off an e-mail about it and we shall see what they have to say. I took a photo to show them but couldn't include it. In case anybody is interested, the photo is HERE (http://www.mrs-tech.net/chamber2.jpg). Maybe dave would care to offer comments (as he did to me on the range).

Thanks for the pics. That definitely looks worse than I could see for myself at the range. Thanks for sending the note to CCI. I wonder what they'll say. Did you start a thread on the revolver forum? Maybe others have had an issue.

countertop
November 12, 2005, 07:07 PM
What happened? My parent's didn't get in till late so we couldn't get over there.

Is that an ammo issue? Or is something wrong with the gun? Looks like the ammo was probably a little hot - but still, it should have held. What kind of gun was that? Is it the 500 S&W? If so, maybe contact S&W too as it seems more indicative of a steel failure than anything.

KONY
November 12, 2005, 07:45 PM
Is that an ammo issue? Or is something wrong with the gun? Looks like the ammo was probably a little hot - but still, it should have held. What kind of gun was that? Is it the 500 S&W? If so, maybe contact S&W too as it seems more indicative of a steel failure than anything.

Its a Taurus snubbie. Well, I agree that it would be a good time to test Taurus' customer service. I bet the first thing they'll ask is ... "Did you use reloads?" Since this was with factory ammo, who knows what they'll say but there warranty dictates that they'll fix it. However, is its bad ammo then you still have to deal with CCI. They should arrange for an exchange. Also, should Natchez be notified. Afterall, they are CCI's largest distributor AFAIK.

Sinsaba
November 12, 2005, 09:11 PM
To answer questions and make images easier to see ...

A Less dramatic view ...

http://www.mrs-tech.net/chamber1b.jpg

In that image it looks more like a smudge than anything else. In the real close up shot that I made a) because of perspective it looks like there is damage to the chamber. I havent cleaned it so I don't know, but I don't think it is. b) Shows "rings" on the back of the cylinder. That is an optical illusion of the camera

http://www.mrs-tech.net/chamber2c.jpg

In answer to your question KONY, I haven't posted in the revolver forum, I completely forgot about it. :o I'm still getting used to haveing one.

As far as testing out Taurus' warranty, I'm going to wait to see what CCI has to say. Who knows they might say it is a known issue and send them the gun and they'll get the cylinder replaced (right!!)

KONY
November 12, 2005, 09:50 PM
In answer to your question KONY, I haven't posted in the revolver forum, I completely forgot about it. :o I'm still getting used to haveing one.

As far as testing out Taurus' warranty, I'm going to wait to see what CCI has to say. Who knows they might say it is a known issue and send them the gun and they'll get the cylinder replaced (right!!)

Well, I doubt CCI would come clean about any issues. My prediction is that both parties will blame the other and possibly YOU (yup, hard to believe ain't it?). Just be prepared so you don't just yell some expletives and hang-up. :p Anyhow, I believe I have seen a similar issue described on this or another forum so a post and/or search for "case support" or "split case" might turn up some good info. Here's a couple actually ...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=161661&highlight=split+case

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=142220&highlight=case+support

Sinsaba
November 12, 2005, 10:49 PM
... My prediction is that both parties will blame the other and possibly YOU ...

It might be amusing if they do try to blame me. My response will be something along the lines of "please educate me on how to keep this from happening again". Of course I didn't post my e-mail to them

Last night I was shooting some CCI Blazer .357 Magnum 158gr ammunition in my Taurus Model 65 revolver. A friend of mine suggested that any time I try a new to me ammunition that I take it slowly. I load the cylinder with 6 rounds. Then I fire 2 rounds. I check the spent casings for anything unusual. I check the remaining rounds to ensure that the bullets remain seated correctly. I check the gun for anything ususual. Then I replace the 2 spent cartridges and fire all 6 rounds. Again I check the casings and the revolver for any unusual signs. I followed these steps with nothing unusual.

I fired 12 more rounds. When I went to reload I noticed a light colored marking around one of the chambers. While I didn't think it was actually part of the casing it was of a similar color. Being somewhat new to handguns and very new to revolvers I figured it better to be safe than to be sorry so I put the gun away to await the arrival of a more knowledgable friend of mine.

Some time later (when it was too late to get the spent casings back) he arrived and examined the strange marks. He noticed that in one place on the chamber the mark extended in a line the length of the chamber. He concluded that the shell casing failed.

If it is of intrest to you I have taken some photos of the gun to show what I'm talking about but there doesn't seem to be any way I can attach them electronicaly to this.

He said that after I clean the gun if it looks all right that it should be fine (no apparant damage to the outside of the cylinder etc.). I am writing this to find out if you have had any problems with this batch of ammunition or anything. Or if you can suggest a cause.

On the box it says:

357 MAGNUM 158 GR. JHP
3542 j06L1

(The 3 above could be a J)

I'm not sure if the above is the information you need so here is the number under the barcode printed on the box

076683 03542 4

Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Their reply will be interesting as will any attempt to attach any blame to me.

countertop
November 12, 2005, 11:39 PM
Good letter.

My guess is that CCI will make good on this one. Sounds like the problem is on their end- and even if its not the potential downside of not responding in a suitable manner is far more troublesome than the minor costs it would take to rectify the situation (ie: repair the gun if needed - which it doesn't sound like it does - or just give you some free ammo, which is always a good thing).

Let us know how they respond.

countertop
November 12, 2005, 11:42 PM
Hey all,

Gonna be taking the 'rents down to Potomac Mills tomorrow - mom wants to hit the Ikea grocery (Swedish food Mmmmmmm). Anyone know if there are good gun shops in the area/complex? I know the Dale City show is hosted right there, but I've never been to a gun shop there.

Thanks!

tankertom
November 13, 2005, 08:55 AM
Quantico arms is in that area. www.quanticoarms.com

Our 12,000 sq ft Washington, DC shop is located in the Potomac Mills Area of Woodbridge, VA. We are conveniently located off the Prince William Parkway just 2 miles West of I-95. Come see the best equipped shop in the county.

hightech
November 14, 2005, 04:36 PM
Ok I have a S&W model 17-3 inbound from wild and wonderful WV.:p I should be picking it up on Sat morning and then heading out to the Chantilly show.:neener: I got the side plate off of the K-22 post war and it still had the original factory grease. Let me think, 1954 to 2005, hmmmmmmm thatís 51 years of quality. They wonít ever make them like that again.:(

Gun steel smelted from ore of the Minnesota iron belt and quenched with the sweat of US steel workers, ďold worldĒ:) ďby gone eraĒ:) ďthe last centuryĒ.:rolleyes:

TankerTom does Quantico Arms have any used or consignment arms? I am interested in S&W .22cal revolvers mostly.

Sinsaba
November 14, 2005, 09:44 PM
Ok... CCI says they will replace all of the ammo and throw some more in to make up for the cost of my shipping it back. They say that there are not any reports of this lot having issues but they'll replace it just to make sure (good customer relations I suppose). Because I didn't have the spent casing they weren't going to offer an opinion as to cause. They said to go ahead anc clean it and if there wasn't anything wrong with the cylinder we should be good to go.

So, I break out my bag of cleaning supplies. I spray a nylon brush with slip 2000 gun cleaner & degreaser. I thoroughly scrub the offending chamber and let it sit. I scrub some more. Give it a good wipe down/out and have a look. Hmm.... it is better but not gone. I'll try some Slip 2000 carbon cutter. ... Nope! no (or maybe very little) better.

I know, I'll do what I should have done in the first place...

Here's what it looks like...

http://www.mrs-tech.net/clean.jpg

I don't mind putting more elbow grease on it, or should I be using a brass brush? Should I be using some other solvent? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

mtnbkr
November 14, 2005, 10:21 PM
Try a 40cal bronze brush. It won't hurt it. You'll still need some elbow grease, but not as much.

BTW, what happened to the brass?

Chris

Sinsaba
November 15, 2005, 06:00 AM
Try a 40cal bronze brush. It won't hurt it. You'll still need some elbow grease, but not as much.

BTW, what happened to the brass?

Chris

First of all there never was any brass. It was Aluminium :D Secondly, I had no clue (being semiclueless when it comes to revolvers) that it could have been something of that magnitude. When I ejected the spent casings a) I didn't notice the marks on the cylinder, b) didn't notice anything on the spent casings (wasn't looking), therefore c) threw them on the floor. Once Dave had diagnosed the problem I didn't think to try to retrieve the spent casing from all the brass on the floor (I'll be wiser in the future).

Smurfslayer
November 15, 2005, 03:51 PM
My scythe got a real workout this weekend...

Smurfslayer comments on the above mentioned ammo failure.

I mentioned to His Tacticalness earlier that I suspected a case kaBOOM. If I were to guess - and that's all I can really do with everyone else here - I would say that H.T. suffered a case split & failure at the base and that the case material residue is what we're seeing in the chamber. Further range inspection with a surefire light revealed a light colored line that ran the length of the case in the chamber, which ran parallel with the chamber & barrel, looking as if the case "split" horizontally as well as the calamity at the "base".

IIRC, His Tacticalness indicated to me that he did not notice any "stickiness" in extracting the empties, so I'm not inclined to suspect an overpowered round, or overpressure - too much crimp, bullet setback, etc. I've seen the results of a revolver case split at the base before, resulting in a case "rim" which simply fell out with the remaining cases, but the actual length of the case still left in the chamber. As many of you know, or those who may visit my website to check for new goodies who have perused my 500 S&W page know, I've had cases split along the length of the cartridge... I think that the difference is that my split cases were way overpressure, whereas His Tacticalness are more indicative of a defective case at normal pressure, thus explaining the seemingly normal extraction.

Since you've got doc & pictures Your Tacticalness, I concur with the P.P. .40 bronze brush recommendation, and maybe a couple of pictures along the way. If this fails to dislodge the offending material ( I hope that's what it is, and not metal from the chamber that's been cut out ) then use a somewhat sharp piece of metal, like a paperclip to determine if you have excess, leftover case material, or, the chamber is bollixed. If the former, gently pick at it to see if you can break it loose - DON'T force it. If you have the latter, where the chamber is hosed - metal eaten or flame cut away, then that's a warranty issue, definitely. Is the rest of the chamber clear now?

If you're not comfortable going any further, don't! we can all take a look Friday to be sure. FWIW, I don't think I ever fired CCI's in any of my Taurii, but I have fired a couple of boxes through my 627/327 combo w/o incident. Only incident I've had w/ blazer is ( 1 IIRC ) a misfire, that went off on the 2nd strike.

The results of a similar failure in a semi-auto are usually not as pleasant. Particularly those which don't have fully supported chambers. Most of the mfgr's proof their guns with hideously over pressure rounds - Beretta uses 60 or 65k psi as I recall (saw cases of this ammo on the tour) - that's more pressure than a 500 generates. Of course, the gun only has to survive 1 shot or a few shots at that level...

Smurfslayer
November 15, 2005, 03:55 PM
That's what I say. And I have to say it because that's what the Precious TOLD me to say :uhoh:

Bring your smoothbores this Friday! If you don't have one, those of us who DO will make fun of your guns. :neener: ( the guns you did manage to bring with you ).

Tactical points if you have mounted lights, lasers, bayonets...ham radios...:uhoh: etc...

Negative tactical points for wood stocks/furniture.

Remember, slugs only, no buckshot.

KONY
November 15, 2005, 04:14 PM
Bring your smoothbores this Friday! If you don't have one, those of us who DO will make fun of your guns. :neener: ( the guns you did manage to bring with you ).

Does a really clean barrel count? :o

countertop
November 15, 2005, 04:26 PM
I don't shoot slugs out of my smoothbore barrels.

mtnbkr
November 15, 2005, 04:35 PM
I don't shoot slugs out of my smoothbore barrels.
Any particular reason?

I don't, but only because I don't have a need for slugs.

Chris

countertop
November 15, 2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah,

I have a Browning BPS and Browning was pretty clear in the owners manual about not shooting slugs out of it unless I purchased a rifled barrel.

Of course, a quick check of their web page including the FAQ and the BPS owners manual doesn't seem to indicate this.

Perhaps I misread my owners manual. I am going to have to go back and check.

Smurfslayer
November 15, 2005, 06:25 PM
You shouldn't shoot slugs out of a **choked** barrel. IIRC, you may shoot slugs from either cyl or imp. cyl. and that's it - check your manuals.

And no, Kony, a clean rifled barrel = your guns get talked about :neener:

Hey... It's time for a new gun anyway! :D

I did my part last week. Time for somebody else to step up w/ a GOW

KONY
November 15, 2005, 06:43 PM
And no, Kony, a clean rifled barrel = your guns get talked about :neener:

Careful now, my commie rifle is quite sensitive to gossip! :p

Well Regulated
November 15, 2005, 06:46 PM
Does the NRA allow black powder shooting? If not, I guess my Smooth bore brown bess is out.

mtnbkr
November 15, 2005, 07:21 PM
Does the NRA allow black powder shooting? If not, I guess my Smooth bore brown bess is out.
Nope. It would take a helluva ventilation system to clear the smoke from BP.

Chris

countertop
November 15, 2005, 07:36 PM

Back when I had a Glock 23 I inherited from a family friend about a 1000 rounds of remanufactured 40 S&W ammo - non jacketed. I know Glock says not to use it, but I never had a problem. The folks shooting around me did though - as it put out about as much smoke as a blackpowder rifle

KONY
November 15, 2005, 07:38 PM
Back when I had a Glock 23 I inherited from a family friend about a 1000 rounds of remanufactured 40 S&W ammo - non jacketed. I know Glock says not to use it, but I never had a problem. The folks shooting around me did though - as it put out about as much smoke as a blackpowder rifle

They were probably just former Black Lung Arsenal shooters and your smoke sparked some flashbacks. :D

Smurfslayer
November 15, 2005, 09:02 PM
If you saw Mike's Aguila 38 loads, you saw a lot of smoke... an almost magical amount...

I actually stopped an entire line of shooters at Black lung when I first shot my Mac10 w/ suppressor. The suppressor had a light coat of oil, got hot *really* fast, and after 2 magazines, was billowing smoke :D

Was actually kind of funny...

Sinsaba
November 15, 2005, 09:27 PM
... .40 bronze brush recommendation, and maybe a couple of pictures along the way. If this fails to dislodge the offending material ( I hope that's what it is, and not metal from the chamber that's been cut out ) then use a somewhat sharp piece of metal, like a paperclip to determine if you have excess, leftover case material, or, the chamber is bollixed. If the former, gently pick at it to see if you can break it loose - DON'T force it. If you have the latter, where the chamber is hosed - metal eaten or flame cut away, then that's a warranty issue, definitely. Is the rest of the chamber clear now?

If you're not comfortable going any further, don't! ...

Ok, I had a go at it (didn't have a .40 but I did have a 9mm since I've seen kits advertised for cleaning 9mm & .357 and a totally differant one for .40 I thought I'd be safe). The way it looks to me is that if this is extra material it is such a thin coat (that doesn't seem to budge) that I can't tell. However, since I did a bit of scrubbing I do see what appears to these old eyes a small pit. At this point I stopped. I'll bring it with Friday.

This is holding up shipping back the remainder of the ammo to CCI as I want a determination of the cylinder before I do so. If I have to send the gun to Taurus and they want the ammo too for testing (I don't know they would but I could see where they might want to test), I want to be able to do so. Do you think that is necessary?

... Oh, I forgot... yes, the rest of the chamber is clear. You can see all there is in the photo above.

Smurfslayer
November 15, 2005, 09:56 PM
Definitely keep the ammo until we're certain if the chamber is damaged / or we just aren't sure and you send it to Taurus anyway. When the jacket shaved off of the Grizzly ammo in the 500, I had to get it off the forcing cone with a very sharp knife...

We'll have a look Friday...

KONY
November 15, 2005, 10:29 PM
Definitely keep the ammo until we're certain if the chamber is damaged / or we just aren't sure and you send it to Taurus anyway.

Good time to test Taurus' customer service which I've read so much about. Speaking of which, I just noticed a pit in the side of my Millenium Pro's feed ramp that I've never noticed before. If it was always there then it should be no biggie as it hasn't failed yet but we shall see.

countertop
November 16, 2005, 12:44 AM
In the spirit of KONY . . . .

Colt Trooper (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39840470) in .357

Sweet Series 70 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40138008) in .45 acp

Police SPecial Mk III (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=39997024) in .38 Spl.

Smurfslayer
November 16, 2005, 01:56 PM
it hasn't failed yet

shyeah. Put some lead downrange with that thing, not 10 or 15 rounds a week! :neener:

and the rest of yous mugs better have a shotgun this Friday, or your guns will get similar treatment! :neener:

Black Majik
November 16, 2005, 03:18 PM
This thread is ALWAYS on the top of the Rally Point, so I just wanna be a part of this thread too. Dont mind me. :D

Sinsaba
November 16, 2005, 03:24 PM
This thread is ALWAYS on the top of the Rally Point, so I just wanna be a part of this thread too. Dont mind me. :D

Question I've got is when are you going to move to VA for real. It can't be fun for a gun owner living where you do.

Slateman
November 16, 2005, 06:15 PM
Question I've got is when are you going to move to VA for real. It can't be fun for a gun owner living where you do.

Yes, come join us. Come to the Dark Side :neener:

KONY
November 16, 2005, 09:09 PM
shyeah. Put some lead downrange with that thing, not 10 or 15 rounds a week!

My lone budget wouldn't allow a torture test but I'd put it through one with some help. ;)

Saiga .308 in VA ...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=309367

VEPR in VA ...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=309223

Sinsaba
November 16, 2005, 10:00 PM

VEPR in VA ...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=309223

You had my heart going pitter patter... that's the same one we saw a month or two ago. I'll hold out for a .308 and the muzzle break (price seemed good though).

countertop
November 17, 2005, 12:53 AM
Just thought I'd let you guys know that Sports Authority in Tyson's corner has gotten out of the firearms business. They stopped selling handguns in 1999 but still sold rifles and ammo. According to the guy there tonight, they moved all the rifles out (to their stores out West) about a month ago and were just selling the last bits of ammo they had (which wasn't much). The rest of the hunting/firearms stuff was being boxed up too for shipment to the west coast.

The reason - which I believe - is that they made no money on gun sales. He said no one ever really came in to purchase guns from them (or ammo) in profitable quantities and that they needed more room to sell golf equipment and clothing. This being Tysons, I can believe that.

Its not a big loss - I only purchased ammo there once before, but its still sad anytime it happens.

Smurfslayer
November 17, 2005, 08:23 AM
Too bad for Tyson's... You're right, it's bogus any time the FFL list gets shorter. Of course, I'd much prefer to be able to get my own FFL pricing, but that's another matter.

Menu suggestions for this week?

Sinsaba
November 17, 2005, 03:10 PM
I'm not going to be around this week. My wife and I are doing a re-fi and have to do the papers tomorrow. :(

Smurfslayer
November 17, 2005, 06:28 PM
;)

You're just avoiding us because you haven't bought a shotgun yet:neener:
We're still going to talk ***** about your guns!

Any extra money ? ? ? Because here's what you need...
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/bfchinalk.html

PERFECT for home defense. <tip> just don't use the HE rounds </tip>

KONY
November 17, 2005, 06:32 PM
Menu suggestions for this week?

I have to a major presentation to prepare for Monday so I am a probable. as well.

countertop
November 17, 2005, 06:46 PM
I won't be there either, my Marlin's got a date with a deer. Not sure which one though :evil:

Sinsaba
November 17, 2005, 07:29 PM
;)

Why not? I'm doing the refi to do some home remodeling :evil:

KONY
November 17, 2005, 07:55 PM

Nice! Now thats a HD weapon! :evil:

Sinsaba
November 17, 2005, 08:05 PM
On another note... with regards to the Taurus saga. Since I'm not going to be there on Friday to have the real experts (you guys)look at it, I dropped by BRA and had the guys there look at it (figuring that I want to do whatever Iím going to do sooner than later).

Comment was that there was some pitting in the chamber but not enough to compromise the cylinder. The damage therefore (according to them) is cosmetic. The mechanical action appears to be good so no issues there.

If their assessment is correct, Iím thinking that it might not be worth my while a) fighting with CCI/Taurus about it (since I wasnít original owner and the warranty card was never filled out, there was some skepticism expressed about Taurusí willingness to do anything), then there is the cost of shipping it around (shipping, insurance, and would I have to use a FFL to ship to them?). All of this for a $200 gun?

Obviously Iíll end up doing what I think best but I sure would like to hear you alls opinion.

Off the saga topicÖ

Since Iím not going shooting on Friday, the wife says she wonít take issue if I go to yet another gun show. So Iím figuring on going to the show this Saturday with an eye out for a shotgun so you all wonít talk about me in the future. Since Iím looking for primarily HD Iím thinking 18.5 in bbl. (do I have that length right?) Any opinions on what I should look for and ball park what it should cost?

KONY
November 17, 2005, 08:36 PM
Obviously Iíll end up doing what I think best but I sure would like to hear you alls opinion.

Well, shipping will cost about $20 one-way, I believe. Taurus shouldn't care about you being the 2nd owner because they honor their warranty for the life pf the gun.

So Iím figuring on going to the show this Saturday with an eye out for a shotgun so you all wonít talk about me in the future. Since Iím looking for primarily HD Iím thinking 18.5 in bbl. (do I have that length right?) Any opinions on what I should look for and ball park what it should cost?

This one has been getting praised lately. Seems like it meets your criteria.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

pauli
November 17, 2005, 08:46 PM
so who all will be at the show this weekend?

Sinsaba
November 17, 2005, 09:13 PM
... This one has been getting praised lately. Seems like it meets your criteria.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

Sounds nice but... have you done a price check? $854 at Impact guns :what: Can't touch that... way too many $$$$

http://www.impactguns.com/store/3088929010.html

mtnbkr
November 17, 2005, 09:42 PM
I'm going, but I won't be there till Sunday.

Chris

mattdus
November 18, 2005, 12:16 AM

well as some of you might remember me asking about the show I will be going either friday or saturday. I wasent sure if friday would be worth it or not but my wife will be going with me and as she is in a wheelchair I thought that maybe there might be less crowd, and thus easier for her to get around. any opinions on friday instead of saturday?

pauli
November 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
friday instead of saturday? no no no. friday as well as saturday. as well as sunday.

at least that's my plan...

crowds are a bit thinner on friday, though. definitely more chair friendly.

hightech
November 18, 2005, 01:46 AM
Look for a Mossberg predator [18 inch] for about $200 to $250 out the door. It is a Mossberg 500 with both full stock and pistol grip:evil: . You can change them at will, allen wrench is supplied by Mossberg. You can also add other Mossberg barrels later if you want to hunt with it.:)

November 18, 2005, 07:41 AM
Which show? Dulles Expo?

Sinsaba
November 18, 2005, 08:13 AM
Which show? Dulles Expo?

That would be correct.

mattdus
November 18, 2005, 09:52 AM
well it seems that I will be going today, so if anyone sees a large and probobly tired looking guy (just finished a 12 hour shift at the prision) with a blond in a purple wheelchair feel free to introduce yourself. I would like you all to know that it was the original NOVA thread that got me hooked on this forum, it's always nice to know that there is someone fairly local here :)

Smurfslayer
November 18, 2005, 10:11 AM
:cuss: I hate to see you guys give money to the cheesy anit-gun alpha hotels at C&E.

If someone could post back if they are still confiscating ammunition, it could be useful.

Sinsaba- I'm thinking you need a poll in the shotgun forum... :)

Smurfslayer
November 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166557

Sinsaba
November 18, 2005, 11:34 AM
:cuss: I hate to see you guys give money to the cheesy anit-gun alpha hotels at C&E.

If someone could post back if they are still confiscating ammunition, it could be useful.

Sinsaba- I'm thinking you need a poll in the shotgun forum... :)

Doh!!

As far as "confiscating ammunition"... 1) is it confiscation if they give it back? and 2) at least this time they have it very prominently displayed on their web site that you can't bring loaded mags into the hall (I don't think they say anything about speed loaders though :evil: )

As far as "anti-gun" ... I have to wonder about that assessment. I'm trying to figure out any company being "anti-gun" to start with. As I see it companies have as their purpose the making of money. Pro/Anti doesn't enter into it. Yes I'm sure there are some exceptions. But it seems a bit far fetched to me that a company would be a) anti enough to knowingly cost themsleves business and at the same time b) be in the business of hosting shows to sell guns. It just doesn't sound sensible to me.

What does sound sensible to me is that you have a company that holds gun shows and makes as much money as they possibly can from them. Finding that insurance, permits, or whatever will cost them less at the Dulles expo if they don't let the people have loaded mags thy decide the risk of offending a few people enough to keep them away is outweighed by the savings.

While Occam's Razor is not the be all and end all of logic it is certainly a principal to keep in mind (and the way the smart money bets)

Just my $.02 (awww... what the heck... make that $.50)

Sinsaba
November 18, 2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166557

Thanks for setting that up!!

pauli
November 18, 2005, 02:30 PM
well i'm off to go stand in line. i wish it was warm enough to wear distinctive clothing...

Slateman
November 18, 2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/jun/pumpgun40.jpg

http://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/jaw.gifhttp://64.193.62.178/~maddenma/forums/images/smilies/drool.gif

Must have . . . .

pauli
November 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
well i'm home. met mattdus and his wife, who were as easy to identify as he indicated (lots of wheelchairs there, but only one was purple), and had a good time talking to them.

hopefully i'll find some of the rest of you people tomorrow or sunday.

i got a copy of the abc's of reloading (sixth edition) for $5, a locking hardcase big enough for at least two guns for $34, and a 22 revolver: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166612

and i even got it back in the house before anybody could notice!

KONY
November 19, 2005, 12:27 AM
Pauli,

Nice .22 wheelgun! Just don't let hightech see it! :D

Anyhow, did anyone see any deals on Wolf 7.62x39mm ammo?

mattdus
November 19, 2005, 10:37 AM
made it home from the show finaly, I managed to make a left when I should have gone right :scrutiny: . I thought it was a great show except for the no loaded weapons part, but I can live with that. I picked up a taurus 85 .357 for $289 as well as a holster, speed loaders and a box of .38 Hydra-Shok JHP. and I stayed almost within budget too :) . I met Pauli and must say that he is a pretty good guy, hope to meet some more of you at some point.

pauli
November 19, 2005, 02:47 PM
so you went with the taurus after all?

i'm headed back to the show... in my bright orange ars technica tshirt. granted i've got a blue flanel shirt over it, but hey, it's cold out! hopefully someone will identify me...

mattdus
November 19, 2005, 07:10 PM
yup, the Taurus won out, but only after I found a .357 for a better price than I have seen them go for in .38. although I will probably never put a .357 through it I feel like a gun built to take the .357 will likely last forever running just boring old .38 special through it.

Sinsaba
November 19, 2005, 07:17 PM
I'm about as mad as a wet hen :fire: Got to the show today. I had decided to sell the Steyr that I bought from Luke. Since I fell into the G19 I do't carry the Steyr any more and it would bring me the funds to buy a shotgun! I finally sold it (I even got my price) and I even spotted an 870 for a good price $280. But, it took so long to sell the Steyr that I ran out of time to buy the 870 (they were running 40 min. to get the check done). I had prior commitments that just couldn't be put off.

Just one of those days! :banghead:

JamisJockey
November 19, 2005, 07:37 PM
Anyone have a link to where I can find the VA hunting rules online? My specific questions are muzzle-loader related. I'm hoping to buy one for here, but need to make sure that the specific type of gun (inline 209 primer fired) is legal there.

pauli
November 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/index.asp

near as i can tell, virginia just requires that your muzzleloader... be a muzzle loader. and, i suppose, have an 18" barrel and be of at least .23 caliber, but those aren't generally problems...

Smurfslayer
November 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
Shooter's purgatory has the 8 shot 870 express for 300 IIRC, and 280 for either the express or police model 870 can be had...

Another benefit of Dale city - not so big a crowd that you have to wait more than 10 minutes for a background check...

Not sure if this helps anybody but the Hybla Valley WalMart had Winchester 7.62x39... looked pricey. Rem. Slugger 12ga for $2.27 / 5, Winchester .223 $3.97/40. YMMV. No entrance fee at Walmart :neener:

They had an 870, but I wasn't able to see the price. the 20 gauge was a little over 200 as I recall.

hightech
November 19, 2005, 07:55 PM
pauli it sounds like you picked up on a post war, k22 masterpiece, series 3. From the SN I would say it was manufactured in 1956 or 57. Smith started with the model number system in 1957 and k22 masterpieces became model 17s.:)

Ok here is the skinny. I picked up my lates addition, check it out Pauli, a S&W 17-3 from wild and wonderful WV.:p On to the show where I picked up two storage bags, a S&W screw driver set and yes I broke the bank and purchsed :uhoh: a Taurus model 651, blued steel, 357 mag, 2 inch equivlant of S&w bodyguard. I was looking at a S&W airweight at one dealer and the Taurus at another and both Andy and I thought that the Taurus trigger pull was much better.:o I later showed it to WellRegulated [I still think he eats a lot of fiber] and he said it was one of the best Taurus factory jobs he has seen.:confused:

So that is it. I will have three [3] new toys on Wed for anyone to try. Pauli come on down to the NRA and you can try my S&W K22 series 3, S&W model 17, and Taurus 651. :evil:

When will this stop? :confused:

KONY
November 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'm about as mad as a wet hen :fire: Got to the show today. I had decided to sell the Steyr that I bought from Luke. Since I fell into the G19 I do't carry the Steyr any more and it would bring me the funds to buy a shotgun! I finally sold it (I even got my price) and I even spotted an 870 for a good price $280. But, it took so long to sell the Steyr that I ran out of time to buy the 870 (they were running 40 min. to get the check done). I had prior commitments that just couldn't be put off.

Just one of those days! :banghead:

Sinsaba,

Sorry to hear about missing out on the 870. However, you still have a chance for tomorrow. I totally understand the decision on the Steyr. Too bad I won't get the chance to shoot it anymore. I almost bought the one being sold locally with traditional 3-dot night sights.

KONY
November 19, 2005, 08:17 PM
yes I broke the bank and purchsed :uhoh: a Taurus model 651, blued steel, 357 mag, 2 inch equivlant of S&w bodyguard. I was looking at a S&W airweight at one dealer and the Taurus at another and both Andy and I thought that the Taurus trigger pull was much better.:o I later showed it to WellRegulated [I still think he eats a lot of fiber] and he said it was one of the best Taurus factory jobs he has seen.:confused:

So that is it. I will have three [3] new toys on Wed for anyone to try. Pauli come on down to the NRA and you can try my S&W K22 series 3, S&W model 17, and Taurus 651. :evil:

Cool! I get to try this one out. I've been itching to try out the Taurus J-frames to see how much better the trigger is as many report that it is really noticeable.

Sinsaba
November 19, 2005, 08:33 PM
... I will have three [3] new toys on Wed for anyone to try. Pauli come on down to the NRA and you can try my S&W K22 series 3, S&W model 17, and Taurus 651. :evil:

When will this stop? :confused:

There was discussion to posponing Wednesday to Friday this month. Was that a go?

Sinsaba
November 19, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sinsaba,

Sorry to hear about missing out on the 870. However, you still have a chance for tomorrow...

Actually I'm booked up on Sunday. I guess it is "you snooze you lose". Of course they had the Kross stock/pistol grip assembly there too.

I guess I'll just have to go shooting on Monday to cheer myself up :D

Smurfslayer
November 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
So, how was the door staff at the show? :evil:

I do NOT want to have anything to do with an automobile 11/23... it promises to be very, very busy. 11/25 would be ok with me...

Gunny want to sponsor the GOW? that would make it a GGOW. One each. ;)

Maybe we could even bait countertop into coming ;) It's been so long since we've seen him, I've forgotten which guns to make fun of since he isn't there!

Kony, I'm seeing a bunch of 7.62x39 Wolf ads, I know you were looking for local sources but it seems like it's still available for delivery. I could probably be convinced to pile on for a couple hundred rounds...

countertop
November 20, 2005, 01:55 PM
Anyone have a link to where I can find the VA hunting rules online? My specific questions are muzzle-loader related. I'm hoping to buy one for here, but need to make sure that the specific type of gun (inline 209 primer fired) is legal there.

Are you moving to Virginia or just heading out here for a trip?

You can also buy your license online, its very convenient.

JamisJockey
November 20, 2005, 02:13 PM
Are you moving to Virginia or just heading out here for a trip?

You can also buy your license online, its very convenient.

Moving, in Jan of '08. The .Gov agency I work for is a little slow on its moves....:cuss:

KONY
November 20, 2005, 02:36 PM
Kony, I'm seeing a bunch of 7.62x39 Wolf ads, I know you were looking for local sources but it seems like it's still available for delivery. I could probably be convinced to pile on for a couple hundred rounds...

Smurf,

According to various threads, the websites are inaccurate. People are calling places with these ads (like Cabelas) only to find out they "won't have any in stock 'til next month". Seems like Wolf has increased production of 7.62x39mm but its all going to foreign markets. :(

hightech
November 20, 2005, 07:47 PM
do NOT want to have anything to do with an automobile 11/23... it promises to be very, very busy. 11/25 would be ok with me...

11/23 is better for me because the company usually closes early before holidays. Most of the traffic will be going out of town so cutting across for me will not be to bad. I will be working on 11/25, the company now follows the government's holiday schedule. Just think there will be nobody in the restruants on 11/23 of course there will be onbody on 11/25 either since they will ALL be gone.

My next target is a S&W model 34-1 that I saw at the show.:o I am going to e-mail the dealer this week and see if he sold it. It is a J-frame, 2 inch, .22cal, and adjustable sights. Not many of them were made according to my book, :uhoh: very rare without the adj. sites, but the dealer was asking top dallor :( at the show so I did not talk with him.

Smurfslayer
November 21, 2005, 02:56 PM
Anyone who knows me would never expect those words from me.

That said...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2047483#post2047483

Your Tacticalness, doesn't your AR possess the requisite flash suppressor?

I know my FNC does :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sinsaba
November 21, 2005, 10:50 PM
Anyone who knows me would never expect those words from me.

That said...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2047483#post2047483

Your Tacticalness, doesn't your AR possess the requisite flash suppressor?

I know my FNC does :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It does indeed... with that and my pool cue I think I might even be able to enjoy golf!! Where can we play?

P95Carry
November 21, 2005, 11:22 PM
Guys - we are it seems heading for another mega thread!;)

Do refresh now and again to a new thread and also - while no wish to interfere with interplay - Rallying Point is really primarily to serve as a place to fix up shoots and meets etc.

There is, looking thru here - a distinct ''chat room'' thread running! I like social - don't get me wrong but - this is IMO at times exceeding the purpose of this forum. Some of this should by rights be in one of the gun discussions forums.

If a lot of chat required then why not set up yourselves for MSN, AIM, whatever - I am just wanting for the forum to not have a perpetual weeks long duration simply for chat if possible. Note - Rallying Point-

Use to post announcements of THR member gatherings, range days, and other social get-togethers for our members.

Sinsaba
November 22, 2005, 06:01 AM
P95Carry has pointed out that this thread is beginning to resemble the old one in form and function. In addition, only by the most liberal ( did I say LIBERAL? :what: ) interpretation of the expressed function could one say that this thread is following the "rules" and therefore this thread is beginning to resemble a "chat" thread.

It appears to me that having a chat thread is useful and desirable so I have set up a "chat forum" for Northern Virginia at another location. This location is as follows: http://www.mrs-tech.net/nova . I don't know how well or even IF this will work out because THR provides so much more that anything I set up could or will. If you want to give it a try and have any problems please drop me an e-mail at shooter@mrs-tech.net

I do want to thank P95Carry and the others here at THR for at least having the courtesy of saying something instead of just shutting down the thread.

Smurfslayer
November 22, 2005, 08:05 AM
http://www.mrs-tech.net/nova

seems we've run afoul of a mod. Let's chalk it up to more users driven from THR...

countertop
November 22, 2005, 09:41 AM
I understand P95's concerns but don't really view this as a chat thread so much as it is a running commentary on our regularly scheduled meet ups.

What we have instead are a running discussions on the date and locations of our next range meet, the guns that will be coming to a particular range meet, the types of targets we will be focusing on, humorous attempts to drive up attendance at the range meet, a follow up discussion on that range meet and the guns seen and shot, as well as some advice on similar types of guns that others might consider purchasing and bringing to the next meet.

Throw in the occaision excuse for failing to show up to the range meet (or, in my case, much more than occaisional excuse) and I can't possibly see how we have violated any rules ;)

Rallying Point-

Use to post announcements of THR member gatherings, range days, and other social get-togethers for our members.

hightech
November 22, 2005, 10:48 AM
Rallying Point-

The problem is we shoot at least once a week or more :neener: and we have at least 4 commercial ranges available.:D Most other threads shoot once a quarter or month.:o We only need to know who is going to show and what the theme of the soot is, magnum night, gun of the week [GOW], home defense practice, or personal carry practice.:cool: Also of course where to eat and talk.:cuss: If we put all of the dinner talk on the thread we would have a thousand replyes in a week.:cool: Other people need to practice and shoot more. :o

KONY
November 22, 2005, 10:53 AM
The problem is we shoot at least once a week or more :neener: and we have at least 4 commercial ranges available.:D Most other threads shoot once a quarter or month.:o We only need to know who is going to show and what the theme of the soot is, magnum night, gun of the week [GOW], home defense practice, or personal carry practice.:cool: Also of course where to eat and talk.:cuss: If we put all of the dinner talk on the thread we would have a thousand replyes in a week.:cool: Other people need to practice and shoot more. :o

My sentiments exactly. Just seems like the NoVA group is a victim of practicing too much. Honestly, I do see where some of our posts veer off but we the focal point is almost always around our next meet ... whether at the range, after-range dinner or at the next gun show. Seems perfectly compatible with the Rally Forum purpose.

countertop
November 22, 2005, 11:04 AM
Just seems like the NoVA group is a victim of practicing too much.

Yep.

Perhaps, instead of punishing us The High Road ought to bestow upon us some sort of award as the most faithful defenders of the 2nd Amendment.

KONY
November 22, 2005, 12:34 PM
Perhaps, instead of punishing us The High Road ought to bestow upon us some sort of award as the most faithful defenders of the 2nd Amendment.

Now, you're talking! ;)

Smurfslayer
November 22, 2005, 12:41 PM
You're just thumbing your noses at p95carry.

Just pick up and go to Sinsaba's new board and we won't have any more trouble.

hightech
November 22, 2005, 01:41 PM
You're just thumbing your noses at p95carry.

Ok, I will do my S&W collecting on another classified board. :D
I do fee better though. :neener:

Good by :(

Well Regulated
November 22, 2005, 07:02 PM
Other people have Thread envy! We are just more popular!:)

Smurfslayer
November 22, 2005, 07:15 PM
Just seems like the NoVA group is a victim of practicing too much.

Shooters at NRA HQ both tomorrow and Friday. After tonight's ride home, I'm not sure I'm willing to chance thanksgiving travel traffic tomorrow night.

Sinsaba - your board is down 'mano.

Sound off at bighammer.net, click the message board link (pop up alert).
I have to make a decision on how many moon clips and magazines to load!

Slateman
November 23, 2005, 02:17 AM
Practicing too much!?!?

Clearly, this guy has never seen me shoot. Dude, trust me, I need that practice :D

mindpilot
November 23, 2005, 05:49 AM
ITS HUGE

mtnbkr
November 23, 2005, 07:42 AM
ITS HUGE
Why thank you Mindpilot. :evil:

Chris

Slateman
November 25, 2005, 07:30 PM
So . . . umm . . . . we're not shooting tonight? :uhoh: :( http://imgs.pbnation.com/smilies/dodgy.gif

Smurfslayer
November 25, 2005, 08:21 PM
We're not even going to talk about it here since we will end up offending some enlightened sensibilities by doing so...

http://www.mrs-tech.net/nova/viewtopic.php?p=38&sid=e07da2b5e899f98b507b9bef92ec0452#38

Slateman
November 25, 2005, 09:51 PM
We're not even going to talk about it here since we will end up offending some enlightened sensibilities by doing so...

http://www.mrs-tech.net/nova/viewtopic.php?p=38&sid=e07da2b5e899f98b507b9bef92ec0452#38

:( :( :( I wanted to shoot stuff!!!! :( Well its ok I guess. I mean, I did spend the day paintballing little kids :D ;)

But at least I wasn't the only one that drove there :neener:

Slateman
November 26, 2005, 08:29 PM
So I gotta wait till next week to see ya'll's ugly mugs? :D :neener:

countertop
December 2, 2005, 09:29 PM
I guess this thread has died . . . .

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/cntrtop/death.jpg

Smurfslayer
December 3, 2005, 12:32 AM
when mods are given too much leeway...

P95Carry
December 3, 2005, 09:18 AM
We're not even going to talk about it here since we will end up offending some enlightened sensibilities by doing so...when mods are given too much leeway...Note, comments made earlier about the thread's purpose were essentially just that, comments and a request. The thread was NOT closed at that time.

If however sarcasm is all that remains to be levelled at mod's (I assume in this case myself) then closure is obviously due. I am not a heavy-handed mod by any means and my ''leeway'', if that's what it has to be called, could well be excercized a lot more vigorously if I so chose.

Snide remarks are not necessary or appreciated. Apologies to the rest of you.

If you enjoyed reading about "NoVA Lives!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!