colt noob ??

PDA

gunhappy
November 4, 2005, 02:11 PM
I can get a colt 1991a1 for 450 in pretty good shape. I am seriously considering this for carry, and I would like to know if this officer's size pistol will be compatible w/common aftermarket parts such as grip safeties, grips, sights, even holsters. also, what is the difference between the 1991 and 1911, is it a series 80 or 70, or for that matter, what are the differences? I have carried cocked and locked before, but I can use some informed opinions about carry methods that are safer than others, ie: OWB, IWB, etc. Also are there any holsters that would keep it closer to the body and thus safer from having the safety come off due to play of the weapon against the clothing? Ideally, I want to carry C+L. any info on these issues, also history, and any trials, tribulations you may have experienced will be appreciated.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "colt noob ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
November 4, 2005, 08:53 PM
On the Officer's Model, grip safeties and sights interchange.
Grips will NOT, since the Officer's has a shorter butt, and a shorter spacing between grip screw bushings.

Holsters for the Government Model and Commander can be used, BUT, the holster will be too long.
The Officer's has a 3 1/2" barrel, while the Government has a 5" and the Commander has a 4 1/4".
So, the holsters will be longer, but you could use them with an Officer's.

The difference between the 1911 and the 1991 is, the 1911 is a military issue Government Model, the 1991 is Colt's name for a modern "budget" version of their commercial Government Model.

The 1991-A1 was introduced in 1991, and the serial numbers picked up where the WWII Colt GI 1911-A1 left off in 1945.

Colt quickly introduced 1991 versions of the Commander and Officer's ACP.

The 1991 has a dull black or stainless finish, plastic grips, and is more or less a modern commercial equivalent to the original military issue pistols.
It has the Series 80 firing pin lock assembly, which, of course, the GI guns didn't have.

In short, the 1991 is, as above, a "budget" version of the more highly polished and refined commercial guns, but still with the firing pin lock, and was intended to be a lower cost pistol reminiscent of the WWII GI pistols.

Probably the closest to the body carry is the IWB.
Keeping the safety from moving to the OFF position, is more a function of holster design than anything else.

BluesBear
November 5, 2005, 03:13 AM
Also the 1991A1 is a series 80 pistol.
The Series 80 features a firing pin safety. The pre Series-80 guns do not.

In the 1991A1 series, the short barrel/short frame is called the Compact. In all other Colt versions it is called the Officers ACP. The parts are interchangable. The Compact will work with any part designed for an Officers ACP.

If you enjoyed reading about "colt noob ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!