Recoil Buffer

PDA

Mark Benningfield
January 2, 2003, 12:15 AM
Hello All.

Okay, supergundocs, I have a question. I got one of Buffertech's recoil buffers for my mini-30 Ranch, and it really seems to mellow out the perceived recoil and (this may just be me) muzzle jump. It definitely quietens down the action. The problem is that it also takes up just enough space to prevent the action from locking open on an empty mag. Now, if I trim the thickness of this little piece of rubber, which is really not very thick to start with, have I pretty much done away with the benefits? Has anybody ever used one of these in a mini-30? I'm wondering if it will "wear in" a little after a few rounds. Any help at all would be good. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Buffer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
January 2, 2003, 02:26 AM
The Mini-14 was NOT designed for use with a buffer. If you were to remove metal from the rear of the slide where the slide contacts the receiver (or buffer in this case) you would solve your problem but create a new one. You would not be able to use the gun without the buffer or a similar thickness washer to keep the bolt and slide from overtraveling. I've got a buffer on my mini and have an occasional failure to lock the slide open. I don't care much, it's not my home defense gun. Good luck.

Wildalaska
January 2, 2003, 02:44 AM
Hi your buffer will wear in, I have one in my personal BHP and had the same problem initially (couldnt use the take down notch) but after 100 rounds or so it broke in.

We stock all of the Buffers and sell a lot, its excellent cheap insurance...

Mark Benningfield
January 3, 2003, 01:04 AM
Hello All.

Thanks fellas. I'm much obliged.

agony
January 3, 2003, 01:40 AM
IIRC, the Ranch version of the Mini-14 has a built in buffering system; modified from the original version of the Mini-14.

I had a Buffer in my Ranch, but slowly found out that it was the reason I was getting misfeeds from several quality and non-quality mags. Took it out and even my cruddy USA brand 20 rounders work flawlessly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Buffer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!