Container to carry ammo??? Suggestions?

PDA

Logistar
April 1, 2003, 03:30 PM
After reading some of the posts here about SHTF scenerios, I checked to see how things would go if I had to "leave" in a hurry.

My problem is that I'll be leaving a lot of ammo behind. I have some "ready to go" but I do not have a container that is big and strong enough to carry a LOT of ammo. (Mostly 9mm and .38/.357)

Anyone have a suggestion of what I might put the ammo in for transport? All ammo will be in factory boxes. (I don't like having it loose.) Also, innocent looking is a plus. (The common briefcase is great except the handles seem to break from all that weight!)

Thanks!

Logistar

If you enjoyed reading about "Container to carry ammo??? Suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZTOY
April 1, 2003, 03:33 PM
Ammo cans:confused:

bogie
April 1, 2003, 03:34 PM
If it ain't man portable, it ain't tactical.

I've basically learned (the hard way) that there's a reason why ammo cans are small. Because when I fill a .30 cal can with .38 special bullets, I grunt when I pick it up. Don't even wanna consider a .50...

Slotback
April 1, 2003, 03:44 PM
Ammo cans are the way to go. If not that, then a heavy duty tool box perhaps.

cool45auto
April 1, 2003, 03:45 PM
Go with ammo cans. I labeled the top of mine for whatever is in them.

SoDFW Jason
April 1, 2003, 03:46 PM
I use a coffee can for .22lr, works for me. Then again, I'm a dumb hillbilly, what do I know?:D

DMK
April 1, 2003, 04:11 PM
Bandoliers. Theres a bunch of different surplus ones out there.

10-Ring
April 1, 2003, 04:12 PM
I have ammo cans galore!

HSMITH
April 1, 2003, 04:21 PM
In ammo cans on strippers or in magazines. Loose for revolver loads.

Redlg155
April 1, 2003, 04:36 PM
Ammo cans. The smaller ones are the easiest to carry around when full of ammo. A couple packs of dessicant will also keep things nice and fresh. The .50 cal ones are the best for pre loaded magazines.

I've tried a bunch of aftermarket containers in an attempt to find something suitable for carrying ammo, but in the end I come back to the old ammo cans again. Not many containers are strong enough to handle the weight or have a locking system strong enough to keep the container closed.

I guess if you wanted to make them look a little less like ammo cans you could paint them white with a red cross on them like a first aid kit. :D

Good Shooting
RED

Mike Irwin
April 1, 2003, 05:17 PM
Ammo cans are great for many many different things.

I keep one filled with mineral spirits for soaking guns.

Bonker
April 1, 2003, 05:31 PM
I keep toold in ammo cans. I keep my ammo in small metal toolboxes. Works the same as ammo cans but is a lot less noticeable. If it's made to carry tools then it's probably strong enough for ammo.

beckrodgers
April 1, 2003, 05:43 PM
Bout 10 yrs past I discovered flour buuckets at the donut hut we hung at. They are not ammo cans ,they work good. All of mine seal up tite & have the rubber seal ring. Thanks

jsalcedo
April 1, 2003, 07:15 PM
I've got ammo cans clearly labled in black and white bold letters
what calibers they hold.

Those 30 and 50 cal cans are perfect sizes for 3 stacked boxes of pistol ammo to sit sideways and one on its side making for about 1100 rounds of .45 per can

longspurr
April 1, 2003, 10:29 PM
For carrying ammo, or cameras, I really like plastic coolers. Yes they can't carry a ton of weight but a cooler sized for a 6 pack can carry just about as much ammo as you can put inside it. Especially if you leave ammo in a car on summer days then I really like the coolers.

Innocent? nobody gives coolers a hard look unless they are thirsty.

Mike Irwin
April 1, 2003, 11:06 PM
Beck,

I use a couple of those flour buckets to hold fired brass, sized and cleaned brass, and primed brass.

TechBrute
April 1, 2003, 11:36 PM
If you are talking SHTF, it depends on how much ammoyou'd be taking and how you are going. Walking? I'd just load up all the mags to one pistol and then grab an extra box. Driving? I'd dolly the cases to my truck and then go. I wouldn't even bother with cans or the like.

Logistar
April 2, 2003, 12:20 AM
I would likely be trying to drive. The idea was to load ALL the ammo I had into the car rather quickly. Looks like ammo cans must be the way to go. I love the small cooler idea though!. That would be great if I need to move some of the ammo and didn't want to be obvious.

If I have to go on foot, I will be carrying around 120 rounds on me but they will mostly be loaded into magazines.

Thanks again guys!

Logistar

Kharn
April 2, 2003, 07:37 AM
The idea was to load ALL the ammo I had into the car rather quickly.

Got a pick-up truck, a mini forklift and a pallet? That would probably be the fastest way.

Kharn

larry_minn
April 2, 2003, 08:23 AM
Actually I just picked up a $15 duffle bag with handle and wheels. It would work fine for ammo on bottom of main and loaded mags on either side pocket. Thanks for idea. This would be way to move supplies around without notice. Guess I will never need it but ideas are cheap. :) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Container to carry ammo??? Suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!