Yugo SKS - 30 Round Mag Illegal?

PDA

ReadyontheRight
November 7, 2005, 11:11 AM
I just read in this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=139302&highlight=sks+rounders

that attaching 30-round detatchable mags to a Yugo SKS is illegal. Is this still the case after the AWB sunset?

I know these mags have performance problems, but if it IS illegal on a Yugo, shich SKSs can legally accept the 30-round mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo SKS - 30 Round Mag Illegal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BTR
November 7, 2005, 11:17 AM
You can buy a varient of the chinese SKS made to accept ak-47 magazines, and you can legally use 30 rounders. Might be around $250.

You can add a certain number of US made parts to your SKS and legally use 30 rounders (don't know the exact number of parts needed).

Not supposed to add a 30 rounder to a original config. SKS, as you would be creating a rifle unsuitable for importation, which is illegal.:rolleyes:

dracphelan
November 7, 2005, 11:17 AM
Is it illegal? Yes and no

If you do anything besides changing the sights on a Yugo SKS, you need to switch it over to have at least 10 American made parts. I'm sure someone has a link to an article giving a list.

railroader
November 7, 2005, 02:41 PM
Actually you can do some things to a yugo 59/66 rifle without doing the 10 parts change out. If you get rid of the bayonet and the grenade launcher you can change things like add a scope and a synthetic stock (not folding). The rifle will no longer be C&R but it would be still importable as a sporting rifle. Now if you want go with a 30 round mag and say a folding stock with a pistol grip then you have to change out enough parts for the rifle to be considered USA made since the rifle wouldn't be importable as a sporting rifle. Mark

karlsgunbunker
November 7, 2005, 07:49 PM
http://sksboards.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=07a0d1614a5a779c3a3d5984c3f54708

whm1974
November 8, 2005, 06:24 AM
You can add a certain number of US made parts to your SKS and legally use 30 rounders (don't know the exact number of parts needed).

Last I read it's ten or less imported parts and it's certain kinds of parts at that.

Considering that replacing parts can be expensive why not just get an AK?

-Bill

armoredman
November 8, 2005, 08:57 AM
Having a Yugo, I would say leave it the way it is, and if you need a 30 round mag, get a WASR 10 for about $250 or so. You spend more than that trying to convert the Yugo t0 922 compliance - not worth it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo SKS - 30 Round Mag Illegal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!