My AK muzzle brake went flying today!

PDA

firestar
April 1, 2003, 04:49 PM
I was shooting my SAR-1 AK today and my muzzle brake went flying off. It must have come loose whlie I was shooting it and then one shot blew it off and splattered some gunk back at me! I guess I could just pin it back in as it looks like the pin sheared off.

Where do I get a pin for this? Can I just use any pin that will fit? It it now illegal because the bbl is less than 16"?

Also it has been going full auto for short bursts once in a while. What is the deal with that?

If you enjoyed reading about "My AK muzzle brake went flying today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAKOwner
April 1, 2003, 04:58 PM
If's it doubling I would suspect the disconnector is not mating up with the hammer just right. With the weapon unloaded with the dustcover off and hammer down, pull the trigger and hold it. Now cycle the action once still holding the trigger down. Once you've cycled it, as slowly as you can release the trigger. If the disconnector releases the hammer too early the triggerhook won't catch it, and it will drop. That would have been a double pretty easily at the range.... Simple fix is to file on the very bottom front of the disconnector (where it touches the trigger base), so it can tip forward more holding the hammer for a slight bit longer so the trigger hook can catch it again. If you get familar with how the setup works I think you'll see what I'm talking about. No biggie. Or if you don't want to monkey with it yourself just replace the whole fire control group with another US made group, from FSE or GordonTech or the like ($35ish), or Red Star Arms if you want the fully adjustable group ($80ish).

If it's ripping off bursts larger than 2 then I'm not sure what would cause that. Gummed up firing pin possibly hitting hard enough when the bolt slams home that it sets off the round sometimes? Beats me...

firestar
April 1, 2003, 05:49 PM
It sounds like it will shoot 2 at a time once in a while but it may be a 3 round burst. It is so fast, it is hard to tell. I do notice that the trigger feels different when it pops off doubles, kind of like I was in mid trigger pull on the second shot. Does that make sense? Anyway, it has a lot of trigger slap so I will fix that and see if maybe that solves the problem.

Redlg155
April 1, 2003, 05:59 PM
I didn't know the SAR 1s came from the factory these days with a muzzle brake already installed? My first suspicion is that it is an aftermarket product. If that's the case then you would either have to track down the manufacturer or do a trial and error fitting until you find the right pin.

It it now illegal because the bbl is less than 16"?

Did you check the measurment of the barrel? If the muzzle brake was held on by just a pin and not soldered and blind pinned then I'm almost positive you have at least a 16" barrel.

Also it has been going full auto for short bursts once in a while. What is the deal with that?

I'd give Century Arms a call and tell them you are having problems with the trigger group. They will also need to have your serial number. I had the same problem and requested a replacement trigger group, which they sent at no charge.

Try doing a little test. With the weapon unloaded pull the bolt to the rear and release. Then pull the trigger. The hammer should fall. Keep holding down the trigger while pulling the bolt to the rear again. Then slowly let pressure off of the trigger. My bet is the hammer will release as you let off the trigger. If so then it is your disconnector.

Good Shooting
RED

benEzra
April 1, 2003, 09:07 PM
It it now illegal because the bbl is less than 16"?
Remember to measure the distance from the muzzle to the bolt face (with the bolt closed) rather than just the length of the exposed barrel. (Easiest way--stick a cleaning rod down the barrel until it bottoms out on the bolt face; mark the rod at the muzzle with a piece of tape; remove the rod and measure.)

firestar
April 1, 2003, 09:59 PM
O.K. I did that test, the hammer follows the the bolt donw if I hold the trigger part of the way back but not all the way. If I hold it all the way back, it seems O.K. If I hold it about half way back it will drop the hammer once the bolt moves out of the way. What does that mean?

I just measured the bbl again and it is just over 16" without the muzzle break.

Do you guys prefer the muzzle brake or not? I kind of like it with out it. I did shoot it without it and it seemed quieter and had no more recoil that I could notice.

benEzra
April 2, 2003, 12:18 AM
I don't own an AK, but a friend has one (without a muzzle brake) and I shoot it fairly often. It doesn't seem to recoil enough to really warrant a brake, IMO, and like you said the brake does increase the noise factor considerably. The brake also adds unnecessary length to a gun that we value for its compactness and ease of handling.

I could see using a brake if you were class III licensed and had a full-auto version (to reduce muzzle climb), but for a semiauto in an intermediate caliber my personal preference is "no brakes."

Just my $0.02!

If you enjoyed reading about "My AK muzzle brake went flying today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!