Hi Point Kabooms

PDA

gopguy
November 7, 2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Gang, Over the weekend I overheard a heated discussion on the high point pistol. As some of you may know from my previous posts I am not fond of them, however I have never heard of one having a dramatic failure, or Kaboom. The two chaps that were arguing, one claiming the high point the greatest thing since the cartridge firearm was ever created, and the other how the damn things blow up in your face. As I listened I thought about how I have seen pictures of Glocks and HK USP pistols that have given up the ghost...but no high points. Does anyone have any info on one blowing up?

Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point Kabooms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Ron
November 7, 2005, 03:47 PM
I've never seen one kaboom ,for that matter i've never seen one work either:D

clone
November 7, 2005, 04:32 PM
i have a c9 and a JHP45. they're ok for what they cost but there not the best gun made. what forum was this on anyway? there always intertaining to read. ;)

Justang
November 7, 2005, 06:45 PM
If you have a polygonal rifled barrel then you should not shoot lead. It clogs and causes kabooms. That's the only reason Glocks and HK's do that. The early HK's had traditional land and groove barrels and are cool to shoot lead out of. I'm not sure if the Hi-Points have polygonal rifling or not, but if they do, and you shot lead, you should be carefull.

P95Carry
November 7, 2005, 06:59 PM
Never had one as yet and not likely to but - have heard way many stories of folks shooting the snot outa theirs with nairy a problem. So in a ''value for money'' sense it seems they ain't all bad.

Plus I believe Hi-Point are great for customer service.

I'll put this in autoloaders where I feel it belongs :)

wally
November 7, 2005, 07:04 PM
Here is what I said in the first one:

:neener: If all you can afford to shoot is a HiPoint, doubt you could afford a digital camera, computer and internet connection :)

Actually one of our larger gun show dealers sells a lot of these and claims he hears few complaints from the buyers, he is also a Kimber master dealer and moves a lot of Kimbers as well. I've see a few people shooting them at the range while I was there and didn't notice the owners having any problems.

OTOH if they always blew up when fired with a 45 degree cant (Gangsta hold) the world would quickly be a better place :)

--wally

Crosshair
November 7, 2005, 07:37 PM
I added some lead tape to the bolt and I improved the reliability of mine. (Slowed the bolt.) I plan to handload some +P+ loads for it. I have shot it out to 100 yards and it is accurate. The only problem I have is that the recoil seems to be a little sharp, even though it is only a 9mm. Might need a recoil pad. One of the local stores sells a ton of them and have not had any problems.

f4t9r
November 7, 2005, 07:50 PM
Have not heard of one going kaboom
I also know people who think they are the best thing going.
Had a guy tell me that he could shoot better with his hi point then any gun out on the market that I wanted to shoot with. He was wrong, not even close

Maybe get one if I only had a hundred dollars and was never going to have any other gun money ever

Jim K
November 7, 2005, 07:54 PM
I have never owned a Hi-Point, but have fired several quite extensively and never had a problem of any kind in feed or functioning. They DO NOT have polygonal rifled barrels, so Justang's comment seems to be unwarranted in connection with Hi-Point pistols.

FWIW, I have found that some folks, once having decided that they don't like a gun (for whatever reason), will bad mouth it to others. When their slander seems to have no effect, they throw in the clincher, "they blow up." Obviously, some guns do blow up, but I am always suspicious of such a statement unless the person making it can give details and/or show pictures, or at least provide the names and addresses of witnesses.

FWIW, I can see no reason for a Hi-Point to "blow up" any more than any other gun, and in fact, its blowback action eliminates several possible causes for a blowup, such as failure of a locking mechanism.

Jim

Justang
November 7, 2005, 09:05 PM
Cool, I wasn't sure.

I have a friend that has a Hi-Point 9mm. It was like $110 NIB. I shot it. Didn't think much of it. Kinda funny looking gun IMO. To each their own, I guess.

Phaetos
November 7, 2005, 09:11 PM
Apparently the ones we get here in Louisiana are bottom of the barrel production runs. During my CCW class, the instructor told us that the cops around here call them "jam-o-matics". Apparently they are trained to spot a Hi-Point in action and know when they see one on the perps hands the battle is already won because they jam every other round.

BluesBear
November 8, 2005, 09:54 AM
Phaetos, your instructor and/or the police in your area are fools. Either way that was a stupid thing to teach. A gangbanger can kill you just as dead, just as quick with with a Hi-point as with a Kimber.

CajunBass
November 8, 2005, 10:07 AM
Apparently they are trained to spot a Hi-Point in action and know when they see one on the perps hands the battle is already won because they jam every other round.

If someone is actually giving that advice out it seems like a darn good way to get a cop killed.

I've got a C-9, 9mm Hi-Point. I've stopped counting the rounds through it, but it's somewhere near 1000. I've had two (2) jams. If that's a jam O matic, your standards are a lot higher than mine are.

The second time we took it to the range, a fellow was watching my wife shoot it. We hadn't even adjusted the sights at this point. He asked about it, then asked if he could shoot it. He fired this group with it at seven yards. This was the first time he had ever held the gun. He shoots a lot better than I can.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/2845ee07.jpg

Actually I guess I'm in a real minority, because I actually LIKE this thing. It fits my hand well, and just feels good to me. I can't say they never blow up, but I have never heard of one doing it.

Jim K
November 8, 2005, 10:20 PM
So does that idiot tell the cops they don't need to worry if someone aims a Hi-Point at them? What does he suggest they do, laugh? I was once a police instructor and if I had given advice like that my butt would still be bouncing.

Jim

WarMachine
November 8, 2005, 10:22 PM
Considering the slides on HP's are basically steel ingots, it doesn't suprise me that we don't see many KB's :neener:

walking arsenal
November 8, 2005, 10:27 PM
They're the most hidious sidearm ever created, they'd go great with an AK-47

We sell them by the truck load from the shop. For what it's worth we've never had one returned.

WillBrayJr
November 9, 2005, 02:33 PM
They're the most hidious sidearm ever created, [they'd go great with an AK-47]

We sell them by the truck load from the shop. For what it's worth we've never had one returned.

Watch it Bucko, you're comparing the most dependable firearm in the world to some sub-standard Bunker Junker. The AK-47 is in the Guinness Book of World Records.

hksw
November 9, 2005, 08:25 PM
Watch it Bucko, you're comparing the most dependable firearm in the world to some sub-standard Bunker Junker. The AK-47 is in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Calling the AK a 'Bunker Junker' is uncalled for.

WillBrayJr
November 9, 2005, 09:04 PM
Calling the AK a 'Bunker Junker' is uncalled for.

No I called the Hi-Point a Bunker Junker. Why would I call my favorite rifle that???

walking arsenal
November 9, 2005, 10:08 PM
Actually what i was doing was comparing them for reliability.

AK reliable, i know, i own one.

High point, ive HEARD the reliablity is good.

Both are ugly, both are simple, both work.

mr.trooper
November 9, 2005, 10:37 PM
THe biggets complaint i have with mine is that the serations on the slide are HORRIBLE! The springs are very strong, and the slide iv very smooth. If your hands are sweaty or greesy you'l have a hell of a time racking the slide. A problem with a gun that has no last-round-hold-open feature.

Reliability wise, they don't start jamming untill they are thuroghly dirty.

clone
November 10, 2005, 12:42 AM
mr.trooper,

they have a last round hold open. or at least both of mine do.

Whatsit
November 10, 2005, 08:46 AM
Hmm MOST highpoint(e) users probably don't use handloads, so the possibility of overcharged rounds is reduced there.

CajunBass
November 10, 2005, 11:45 AM
mr.trooper,

Mine does too. Now they don't have a slide release, so you have to pull back on the slide to chamber a round after it locks back, but it will lock back.

Phaetos
November 11, 2005, 01:25 AM
Phaetos, your instructor and/or the police in your area are fools. Either way that was a stupid thing to teach. A gangbanger can kill you just as dead, just as quick with with a Hi-point as with a Kimber.

I understand that completely. It was kind of an off-hand remark that was made. But police here are a totally different breed than you will find anywhere else, I can guarantee that.

Phaetos
November 11, 2005, 01:27 AM
If that's a jam O matic, your standards are a lot higher than mine are.

I didn't call them that, some of the cops around here do apparently. Though I haven't had the nerve to just ask one their opinion :rolleyes:

foghornl
November 11, 2005, 12:12 PM
Well, lets say the Hi-Points are not the most AP {Aesthetically Pleasing} firearms around.

However, I have shot both the 9Milly handgun and the Carbine...sort of odd-looking pieces, but they do go BANG! on demand.

I don't own any Hi-Points, but I MIGHT buy one sometime just for grins.

Hawkmoon
November 11, 2005, 06:18 PM
Apparently the ones we get here in Louisiana are bottom of the barrel production runs. During my CCW class, the instructor told us that the cops around here call them "jam-o-matics". Apparently they are trained to spot a Hi-Point in action and know when they see one on the perps hands the battle is already won because they jam every other round.
If I were an LEO I don't think I'd be betting my life on a Hi-Point jamming.

CajunBass
November 12, 2005, 12:58 AM
I didn't call them that, some of the cops around here do apparently. Though I haven't had the nerve to just ask one their opinion :rolleyes:

That was really meant to be a "general" your, Phaetos, not to single you out. Sorry I didn't make that clear, which I should have done since I was quoting you.

Stasher1
November 12, 2005, 11:29 AM

FWIW, my Kimber has been the most unreliable firearm I've ever owned. A Hi-Point couldn't be much worse...and I could've bought 8 of them for what paid for my Pro Carry II. ;)

I don't think I'd ever go look for one to buy, but I'd accept one if it was a gift. Nothing wrong with them if you're looking for a range toy, or if you're broke but still need to defend yourself.

dpesec
November 12, 2005, 11:53 AM
I bought one for a friend as a birthday present. She can't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I tried it and it works just fine.

I laugh when I see the Khar ad about "why buy a brick..." they're refering to a Glock, but I think HP.

I've been kicking around picking up one or two 45 ACP versions as car pistols.

mr.trooper
November 13, 2005, 12:48 AM
mr.trooper,

The NEW ones do. Mine are over a decade old. Older models dont have any features whatsoever. they have a European style heal release, and a crude, cheaply made safety. End of story.

Mine does too. Now they don't have a slide release, so you have to pull back on the slide to chamber a round after it locks back, but it will lock back.

BTW: I know more about my guns than you do. ;)

TimboKhan
November 13, 2005, 01:33 AM
Hi-Points fascinate me for the simple reason that they draw more loyalty and hatred, at the same time, than any other firearm I can think of. I actually want one of thier 9mm carbines, and have never read, here or anywhere else, anything but largely good reviews about them. The pistols... well, I know alot of guys like them, and I have talked to several people personally that swear by them, but... well, its a Hi-Point. All that being said, I really admire the company. They offer a super warranty, and its my understanding that they are a smallish mom-and-pop type operation. If thats not the American way, I don't know what is! Plus, in the article I read, the guy that owns the company really takes it personally that his guns are considered to be the gun that criminals like best, and why shouldn't he? He isn't making them for criminals, and he sure isn't the one choosing to commit criminal acts with them! He is aiming for a market the rest of the gun companies largely ignore, and I admire that his goal is to make a gun that just about anyone can afford.

Olys45
November 13, 2005, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=walking arsenal]They're the most hidious sidearm ever created, they'd go great with an AK-47
QUOTE]

I was just curious, do you think of the Glock (i.e. Glock 27) in the same way? It just seems to me that the G27 and the HP C9 look a lot alike.

I don't want to start a flame war, but just asking a simple question.

hksw
November 13, 2005, 10:05 AM
No I called the Hi-Point a Bunker Junker. Why would I call my favorite rifle that???

IMO, the ;), :D, :p icons defeats the purpose of subtle humor.

In any case, IIRC, the AK is only in Guinness for sheer production numbers.

walking arsenal
November 13, 2005, 10:08 AM
yup, one of my bug-out kits i have stored in a different location other than my home contains an AK-47 and a glock 26.

Glocks are hardly pretty, but they work, with me, really, thats all i ask.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point Kabooms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!