Kimber CDP

PDA

G19NDE
April 1, 2003, 04:10 PM
I've been considering a Kimber CDP to add to my collection. Knowing me, I'd shoot it a ton and then make it my primary carry gun.

I'd like to hear from any of you about these apparently fine pistols.

I'm considering the "medium" (commander) size.

Comments? Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber CDP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
April 1, 2003, 04:17 PM
I like the commander sized 1911's. They are easy to carry, use fullsize mags & are easy to shoot. I don't have much experience w/ the Kimbers, but from most comments / threads I've read, they are a quality handgun.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 1, 2003, 04:46 PM
I’ve had a first series Kimber CDP Compact (Commander size) since it first came out and I love it; shoots great looks great and no sharp edges. My only complaint/change would be to go to another make of night sights because the factory sights are REALLY dim and don’t have a white outline alá Trijicon.

Dobe
April 1, 2003, 07:40 PM
I have the all steel Kimber Compact. I was surprised at how tight the groups can get, and how controlable the gun is. It is fun to shoot. I had a local gunsmith put a short trigger and a tritium front sight on it. Now it feels more comfortable to shoot, and it is easier to shoot in dim light.

XLMiguel
April 1, 2003, 10:57 PM
I've got a Kimber Compact in stainless. Runs like a freight train going off a cliff - eats every/anything, more accurate than me. I recently polishe d teh flats, am thinking of adding night sights and stippling the front strap. Nice gun, CDP's are nicer still.

Croyance
April 1, 2003, 10:58 PM
I like mine, though for carry I put in a set of smooth grips. No complaints from me.

M1911
April 2, 2003, 12:40 PM
I have two compacts, one is all steel and the other is AL frame. I've put a bunch of rounds through the steel compact. It is a great little gun, not much perceived recoil. The AL frame is significantly lighter for carry, but also has significantly more recoil and muzzle rise -- not what I'd want to put a ton of rounds through. YMMV.

Smoke
April 2, 2003, 04:13 PM
I have the Ultra Carry CDP. Its my summer gun.

Lots of rounds, no problems. I did have the front tritium go out. Kimber replaced it with no hassels, quickly too.

My only regret is I didn't get the Pro Carry (Commander)

Dobe
April 2, 2003, 04:57 PM
Smoke,
You said the tritium went out. Does that mean that the tritium stopped shinning in low light, or the insert fell out?

Stevie-Ray
April 2, 2003, 10:05 PM
I have the tiny Ultra CDP, and it's now my primary carry. Very small and light, yet very controllable, surprisingly. Felt recoil no worse than my H&K USPc. More accurate than I by a great margin. Love it.

blades67
April 2, 2003, 10:12 PM
I think you'll find the CDP to be an excellent piece of ordnance. You'll really like shooting it too!:D

Smoke
April 4, 2003, 07:10 AM
Dobe,

Just quit shining. Sent in the slide and they replaced it. I have had superior customer service from Kimber (they had to fix on eof my 84Ms also) despite what some others have said on this board.

stellarpod
April 4, 2003, 07:32 AM
Agree 100% with QuarterBoreGunner. I love my Compact CDP, but have always had trouble picking up the sights. And just recently the front tritium insert went dark.

I'm sure Kimber will take care of it. But, I'm seriously considering replacing the sights with Ashley big dots anyway.

The site issue aside, I highly recommend this Kimber for daily carry duty.

stellarpod

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber CDP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!