Remington 700 "safety"

PDA

Prof
April 1, 2003, 04:33 PM
I recently purchased a new Remington 700VS in .223. It is at the dealer's during the "waiting period". :cuss: When I went down to sign the papers, I was able to fondle, I mean, handle the gun ;) and I noticed two green cylindrical plastic objects hanging from the trigger guard. The dealer said they were the "keys" for the "safety system". He was busy so I didn't get to ask him what he meant. Can someone enlighten me on what the heck this "system" is and how I can get rid of it if it's just a PC thing? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 "safety"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matthew_Q
April 1, 2003, 04:49 PM
The remmys have some sort of key lock on the bolt, I think...

Part of some integrated lock initiative thing to appease the antis. Had a buddy with a different model Remmy. Leave it unlocked, and you won't have any problems.

Ledbetter
April 1, 2003, 05:11 PM
The keys fit the safety. You can apply the manual safety and lock it into position.

This gives you the advantage of potentially losing the green plastic keys and not being able to use your rifle on your hunting trip or until you can convince Remington that you are the original owner and need a new key.

Prof
April 1, 2003, 05:21 PM
Wow, not good! I kind of suspected that it was something like that! Is there anyway to disable or remove this "feature"? Also, I noticed that the barrel was not centered in the stock channel. However, I folded a dollar bill and ran it from forearm tip to receiver with not problem so the barrel is floated. If I decide to open it up a bit more, though, what is a good tool to use on those H-S stocks? Thanks!

Ledbetter
April 1, 2003, 05:52 PM
Make sure the safety is unlocked. Put the keys away somewhere "safe" (meaning that they will be gobbled up by the sprites who eat one sock and you will never see them again.)

Actually, one key is in my gun safe and one is in my range bag so I can play a dirty trick on another Remington owner at the range someday.;)

ShaiVong
April 1, 2003, 09:18 PM
Actually, one key is in my gun safe and one is in my range bag so I can play a dirty trick on another Remington owner at the range someday.

Haw! :evil:

JohnDog
April 1, 2003, 10:46 PM
Prof,

If I decide to open it up a bit more, though, what is a good tool to use on those H-S stocks?

Well, since the aluminum bedding block runs out to the forearm on that stock a grinder might be your tool of choice to "open it up". Try loosening up the action screws and see if you can center the barrel in the channel any better than it is now. My 700VS was a little off when I first got it, and stayed that way until I did a major cleaning one time, and took the action out of the stock. With a little patience I got it centered pretty well.

This safety that you mentioned, or as I refer to it "a child lock", is causing me to re-think a purchase I had planned however. I was thinking of getting a 700Ti for next fall's hunting trips but I am having a hard time convincing myself that a rifle that costs more than $1000 needs a "child lock". Right now I'm more inclined to get a Winchester M70 Featherweight and restock it with a lightweight synthetic stock. A little heavier than the 700Ti - but no "child lock". I'll contemplate this for a while longer before I make up my mind.

JohnDog

BusMaster007
April 1, 2003, 11:02 PM
Don't let a silly lock stop you from buying that rifle with the free floating barrel!!!

I think you can change that system out.
Can't remember where I read that or what little advertisement I saw in a magazine, but, you can change it out for one that doesn't have the J-Lock key feature.

Enjoy your new gun. :D

762x51
April 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
The J-Lock can be swapped out rather painlessly. Brownells sells the part and the tool to do it.

Prof
April 2, 2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks, 762X51! That's what I was hoping to hear!

Nero Steptoe
April 2, 2003, 02:28 PM
The aluminum bedding block doesn't have to be ground in order to open up the barrel channel. I used a Dremel tool with the flexible shaft and the larger sanding drum to open up the barrel channel on my VS. Used the same tool to free-float my VLS.

JohnDog
April 2, 2003, 03:33 PM
762X51,

What's the name of the tool? Is it just the a regular 700 bolt disassembly tool? And is the part a new bolt shroud - or a plug of some sort? I 'm not sure what I was looking for - so I didn't find it on Brownells site. I've also got catalog #55 - so if you've got a page number I can do that too.

Thanks - JohnDog

Kestrel
April 2, 2003, 03:57 PM
The lockout device on the 700s is not the same as the one on the 870 shotguns. The lock on the 700 is integral to the BOLT, whereas the one on the 870 is simply in the crossbolt safety and can be replaced with a new crossbolt. I don't think the 700 lockout is as easy to remove...

This device is the reason I won't buy a new Rem 700 any more. I'll only buy older models without them, or Win 70 Classics or pre-64, (or CZ 550 or Sakos without THEIR lockout devices, or older Steyr Mannlichers, etc.)

I agree with one of the other posters - when I buy a rifle, be it a mid-range or high-dollar rifle, I expect NOT to have a child lock on it.

Steve

Stinger
April 2, 2003, 06:15 PM
Safeties are useless. The only safety you need is your mind. Follow all gun rules and you will be A-Okay!

Stinger

308 Hawg
April 2, 2003, 08:53 PM
The "J" lock can be eliminated from the bolt shroud. (I did it to have a spare firing pin assembly available at matches) I think that I just disassembled the bolt, drilled out the hole in the front of the shroud that releases the spring and ball detent, took out the "J" shaft and reassembled the bolt. It is now functionally a non-locking bolt assembley but will only be used in case I need one at a match. For a personal rifle I would just swap out the firing pin/spring/shroud assebly. The older shroud is not interchangeable with the longer "J" shroud.

BusMaster007
April 3, 2003, 01:12 AM
:uhoh:
WARNING:
THIS IS NOT A FLAME--- I REPEAT---THIS IS NOT A FLAME...

Stinger wrote ---

Safeties are useless. The only safety you need is your mind. Follow all gun rules and you will be A-Okay!

This is something I've read numerous times, and most often on MarlinTalk Forums.
I understand the idea of engaging your brain as the first safety device, versus not using it and trusting only the mechanical safeties to 'save you'. Maybe a combination of both would work well.

It makes me wonder if:

A) these guys use the parking brake in their cars with automatic transmissions, or just trust the parking pall detent to hold the weight of the car on its own, or better yet, if the car gets slammed by another car while it's parked...using their 'MIND' to keep the car where they parked it.

B) these guys don't wear the safety restraint devices in their cars, trusting their 'MINDS' to overcome any potential 'unintended contact' with another vehicle.
:what:

I agree with the statement of using your mind as the PRIMARY SAFETY DEVICE.
The other safety devices on certain products, in this case firearms or automobiles, if provided, should be used properly.

Without nitpicking the heck out of it, I can see where the owner of a rifle may wish to revise the safety system to something that is not overly redundant.
The crossbolt safety on the Marlin doesn't bother me, because other rifles I have use a crossbolt safety, so it 'fits' in with functional familiarity.
The J-Lock on my 7400, while I'd prefer it not be there, it isn't like an extra safety, it's just 'there' where the button always was anyway...see above statement.
On the 700, I can see where using a key to unlock the bolt would be 'weird'. I can also see having a crossbolt safety installed, by Harry Lawson, to fit in with my other long guns.

Not using the parking brake or safety belt in a car would be, well, uncivilized! ;)
To repeat:
I agree with the statement of using your mind as the PRIMARY SAFETY DEVICE.

Be safe!

762x51
April 3, 2003, 09:40 AM
JohnDog:

Yes, the tool is the standard Remington bolt disassembly tool. I don't have a part number for the bolt shroud (It's just a replacement shroud) off hand but it's in there somewhere. If you can't find it, I know www.tacticalstocks.com also sells them for about $10 bucks.

Good Luck.

Stinger
April 3, 2003, 10:46 PM
BusMaster007,

A firearm is not a car. Once unloaded, a rifle is of absolutely no danger to anyone or anything. The analogy to a parking brake doesn't correlate because a car can still move when turned off, a gun cannot fire when unloaded.

You are correct though, I rarely use my parking brake. I live in West Texas. No mountain, no hill, no slope, no nothing. :D

these guys don't wear the safety restraint devices in their cars, trusting their 'MINDS' to overcome any potential 'unintended contact' with another vehicle.

:confused: A mind can't control another's actions, but it can control yours.

Yes, safety equipment is a viable backup, but if the rules of firearm safety are followed, there is NO need for backup.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Stinger

No flame felt, and none intended on my part either. :neener:

BusMaster007
April 3, 2003, 10:57 PM
Roger that, Stinger.

Must have been the long day when I reached for that analogy...:p

Good point. Thanks.

308 Hawg
April 3, 2003, 10:59 PM
By definition, 1/2 of the people on Earth have an I.Q. of less than 100. A lot of those people have firearms, drive cars, have kids (that have firearms, drive cars) and that causes some really scary things to happen. We need good safetys on all of these dangerous things.

BusMaster007
April 3, 2003, 11:08 PM
:D ...and that's why this member of the 'other half' drives a BUS and collects guns that have too many safeties on them!
Yowza!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 "safety"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!