New Assignment!

PDA

trvlr905
April 1, 2003, 04:36 PM
Well, I just got a phone call from the detailer this afternoon and got verbal orders for my new station. Looks like I'm leaving funny Washington and going to sunny Mayport FL. My first question, any good places to shoot down there? I'm looking for both indoor and outdoor ranges. How do the gun laws compare to GA? The reason I ask is because I already have a GA CCW. I'll be off this summer so I'm starting early.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Assignment!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ebbtide
April 1, 2003, 05:16 PM
I was stationed at Mayport Naval Station back in the late 80s. I was not into guns at the time so I don't know whats available.

When I drove through there a couple years ago I did not recognize the place. When I left Mayport was a hole, not it looks pretty swanky. I used to ride my bike from Mayport to St. Augustine and there were no buildings for miles. Now, you can't throw a rock without hitting a development or shopping center.

However, I did find these for you.

Gateway Rifle & Pistol Club, 9301 Zambito Rd., Jacksonville, FL 32210. Phone: 904-389-2782
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol, Outdoor Rifle, Airgun
Click here for a map to the range:

Jacksonville Gun Club, 12125 New Berlin Road, Jacksonville, FL 32226. Phone: 904-757-4584
Facilities include: Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays

If I recall the zip codes correctly, Gateway is ferry ride across the St. Johns (unless they built a bridge by now).

The Gun Club sounds like it is northwest of Mayport closer to downtown.

I hope some members from Jax will chime in to set me me straight.

Hope this gets you started,

ehenz

UnknownSailor
April 1, 2003, 05:27 PM
Well, I imagine one could contact one's sponsor, when the welcome aboard package comes in.

I'm on Whidbey, so don't ask me. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "New Assignment!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!