Will moly coated bullets damage a barrel?

PDA

JCM298
November 8, 2005, 11:56 AM
On another forum, I read that moly coated bullets will damage barrels. Is there any truth to this? I've used them in both .357 and .45 and noticed no problem, although it did seem easier to clean the gun afterwards.

They are harder to reload because they are so slippery,

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Will moly coated bullets damage a barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
30Cal
November 8, 2005, 12:15 PM
I've read that they can promote pitting due to impurities on the moly (I've had a pitted barrel using MK bullets, but it was a little aggrevated by the humidifier I had in the room). If you keep the barrel patched with oil somewhat regularly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ty

The Bushmaster
November 8, 2005, 09:42 PM
The moly tends to attract moisture...

rick_in_lb
November 8, 2005, 10:37 PM
JCM298...I will tell you what. This has been covered in depth on other forums. Moly coated bullets have their fans as well their haters. I clean my guns after shooting, within a few days. The main thing here IS to clean your gun. I use and reload moly, yes they are slippery little bas***s:uhoh: . I reload 45's,40's and 38/357's. I have read the horror stories and you will hear many also. Clean your gun and oil the barrel lightly as normal. Nothing more nothing less. You might even hear some shooters say copper coated bullets are bad because they are hard to clean... I reload them also.:neener:

Gewehr98
November 8, 2005, 10:55 PM
I shoot moly-coated Sierra MatchKings and moly-coated Lapua Scenars almost exclusively in them, with the occasional moly-coated Nosler Ballistic Tip thrown in for good measure. I've been doing this since about 1998.

I also clean them as soon as I get home, because I live in a very hot and humid environment. The barrels have yet to suffer any harmful effects. ;)

VonFatman
November 9, 2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks...this is a good short, precise and informative thread. I was given a bunch of moly-coated 250gr bullets for my 45 Colt. I now feel fine reloading and shooting these as I keep my guns clean.

Bon

If you enjoyed reading about "Will moly coated bullets damage a barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!