Alliant Power Pistol for 357mag

PDA

mtnbkr
November 8, 2005, 01:30 PM
Has anyone used this powder in the 357mag?

I have nearly a pound left from when I was hotrodding the 32acp. Since I don't load 9mm, I have no other uses for this powder. It looks like it might be a good choice for moderate mag loads, but some info I found online makes it sound like it's not ideally suited for the 357mag. I'm not looking for top speed, just something that will push a 158gr plated bullet to 1000-1200fps, burn clean, and deliver consistent velocities.

Supposedly 8gr will push a 158gr jacketed SP to 1300fps, but a post I found on another board claims about 1100fps from a 6" 586 with a cast bullet. That velocity is fine by me, but I want to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks,
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Alliant Power Pistol for 357mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
November 8, 2005, 02:25 PM
I have used a good bit of it in 357, but never chronographed any of the loadings. I had clean, accurate and (judging from my recoil-o-meter) solid middle to upper end velocities. I have not used it with plated bullets, I just don't like plated bullets as I have not found a way to get them to shoot as well as jacketed or cast bullets.

I use Power Pistol with jacketed bullets in 9mm, 40, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 44 mag, 38 and 357 right now. It really is a great powder. Some purpose specific loads are better with other powders, but Power Pistol delivers really good performance in general purpose loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alliant Power Pistol for 357mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!