Is Your Name in the Ammunition Logbook?

PDA

AR-10
April 1, 2003, 05:41 PM
There has been a procedural requirement in place in my county since the early sixties. All handgun ammo purchased in the county has to be recorded in a bound book. Each store that sells ammo maintains such a book.

Purchasers name, address, age, and caliber of ammo is recorded. A seperate entry is made for each caliber if there are more than one. This is to maintain a record the Sheriff's office can access if there is a violent crime committed with a firearm.

One odd thing about this is the record does not show anything more specific than the caliber you purchase. That would seem to make any such record unusable. Another odd thing is this- from 1900 to 1990 the number of homicides in my county was zero.

The fact that most of my ammo is bought out of county with no such record keeping sort of makes the whole thing a joke.

Homeland Security, Mayberry style.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Your Name in the Ammunition Logbook?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hondo68
April 1, 2003, 06:15 PM
Los Angeles county (PRK) has something similar. Totally worthless, as well as illegal IMO.

Dave R
April 1, 2003, 06:24 PM
I have never in my long life had to fill out a log to buy ammunition.

That I remember anyway...

I bought some .22LR in CA back in the early '90s. In Orange County. I don't recall having to fill out a log then.

I remember buying ammo in at least these states:

-Texas
-Wyoming
-Utah
-CA
-Florida
-Arizona
-Idaho

No logs, if there wasn't one in CA.

jsalcedo
April 1, 2003, 06:38 PM
Thankfully they dumped the bound book in Texas almost
15 years ago. It was about the dumbest idea I'd seen up to that point.

I guess the only benefit was you had to be able to read and write in order to buy ammo.

El Tejon
April 1, 2003, 06:43 PM
Hey, I remember that from pre-'86. What a silly thing.

My name isn't there, but my Dad's name is (a lot).:D

Jason Demond
April 1, 2003, 06:55 PM
Buy online, and reload!!:scrutiny:

spacemanspiff
April 1, 2003, 06:58 PM
glad to see all those manhours spent and money spent to maintain those 'crimefighting techniques' really pay off. how many crimes have they solved thanks to it?

jsalcedo
April 1, 2003, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately when the book requirement went away in 86
nobody told the retailers and they kept doing it for a period of time Kmart, sporting goods, etc..

I had to bring in a copy of the law on a tattered piece of newspaper (pre internet sucked). The manger at the Oshmans scoffed and said "well its our company policy now, so there".

Shortly thereafter Oshmans stopped selling guns and ammo and began selling thigh masters and pink jogging suits.

Redlg155
April 1, 2003, 07:06 PM
Nope.

The closest I come is when answering the"Handgun or rifle?" question at Walmart. If I use it for a handgun I answer rifle. If rifle I answer handgun.:D

Good Shooting
RED

CZ 75 BD
April 1, 2003, 07:48 PM
I'm glad I live in Alabamastan. :D

El Tejon
April 1, 2003, 07:51 PM
CZ, lord knows y'all tried, but failed. Alabama is still in the Union; the SSA applied even to Alabama (as if anyone followed it).:D

JBP
April 1, 2003, 09:01 PM
Two sporting goods chains here (Dicks and Sports Authority) require that you furnish a photo id and sign a log book when you purchase handgun ammo (they don't bother to ask what the 22lr is going to be used in). I normally buy my ammo either online or at gun shows but if Dicks is running a sale I'll normally pick up a few boxes. I figure that my name is on enough lists that if it shows up in another one it really doesn't matter.

Cal4D4
April 1, 2003, 09:03 PM
I believe Kali's log book for handgun ammo went oujt in the '70s or so. Since .22 rimfire could be fired in pistols, it was a logged item. Somewhere in the archives, I am a known user of .22 rimfire ammo, possibly for a handgun. Oh the shame.

TheLastBoyScout
April 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
Never. I was BORN in late 86:p

Destructo6
April 2, 2003, 12:20 AM
Hondo, I thought that ban/restriction only applied to the City of LA, not the county.

foghornl
April 2, 2003, 08:48 AM
I sort of vaguely remember some type of ammo log like that back in the late 60's, but I think it was only for handgun ammo.

braindead0
April 2, 2003, 08:57 AM
I thought it was LA county? I remember guying ammo in Northridge, and having the lady ask "this is for a rifle isn't it?, cause if it's for a pistol I have to log your DL number"...

nudge nudge...

cratz2
April 2, 2003, 09:01 AM
I've heard a couple of references to it but have never filled out such a log. Since about 1982 or so, I've bought ammo in Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana and Vermont. Never was asked to fill out a log, never was asked if ammo was for a handgun or rifle either. Guess I've just always dealt in pro-gun states.

And TheLastBoyScout, are you even allowed to buy handgun ammo yet? :p

Logistar
April 2, 2003, 10:42 AM
The closest I come is when answering the"Handgun or rifle?" question at Walmart. If I use it for a handgun I answer rifle. If rifle I answer handgun. Sometimes I tell them, "I haven't decided yet." or maybe "Gee, I don't know. I suppose the one I end up shooting next." or "Both".

I get a kick out of watching their faces when they can't decide which botton to push!

Logistar

shermacman
April 2, 2003, 12:21 PM
I am beginning to think that Massachusetts has some pretty open gun laws. I buy target stuff at Wally World, they just look at my Firearms ID card. I did get some very strange looks one time when I took five friends to the range...10 boxes of .22lr, 1000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 rounds of .40 auto, an entire box of 12 gauge #8. I can buy a hand gun over the counter in 15 minutes and walk out with it here in the People's Republic.

Dave R
April 2, 2003, 02:08 PM
Just so you know...

The reason Wal-Mart asks if your ammo is for rifle or pistol is--you have to be 18 to buy rifle ammo. You have to 21 to buy pistol ammo. They want to know what age to check for.

If you say the ammo is for a pistol, they may check your ID to make sure you're 21.

sm
April 2, 2003, 02:42 PM
Logbook...NO.
Walmart...pistol or rifle?,,,Shotgun:D
What...she rang up the 9mm, 45ACP, 38spl, 357's...didn't even wince, I paid and left. Keep telling you those knurled chokes come in handy...:neener:

TheLastBoyScout
April 2, 2003, 04:46 PM
no... those evil bad influece adult family members make the actual purchase, and give ammo as a gift. Completely coincidentally, I give them a gift of the money, exactly what the ammo cost.:what:

ball3006
April 2, 2003, 05:11 PM
if it was for a handgun or rifle, I replied that it is not for either at this time. I am just buying it because it is a good sale price and I will buy a gun for it at the next show. They didn't know what to do. They almost did not sell it to me. I can't even remember what store it was but this post moved a cobweb somewhere in there.....chris3

cordex
April 2, 2003, 05:39 PM
Being a young'n (just barely under 21), I rarely buy handgun ammunition commercially. Instead, I buy reloading components in ever-increasing bulk and work the Dillon pretty hard. Not that I'd have to put my name in a logbook if I did buy commercially on a more regular basis.

sm
April 2, 2003, 05:51 PM
115# young lady driver/delivery person:

" Mister, whew, glad your home , see all those dollies...that's all yours, and I -well -I need help".
-100K primers
-5 cases shotshells
-5 cases assorted handgun ammo
-5 cases of wads
-2 reloaders

At least I had the heart to have the pallet of shot delivered to a buddies warehouse

:D

blades67
April 2, 2003, 06:57 PM
Nope.

jimbo
April 2, 2003, 08:57 PM
California has been cash & carry. I've never been asked my name for a cash ammo purchase in my life. The only time I have EVER had to do so is I have had to send a photocopy of my California Driver's License to order ammo over the web. But never in person.

Black_Talon
April 2, 2003, 09:05 PM
I worked in a gunshop back in the late '70's to late '80's here in Kali. I used to have to log all pistol ammo that was purchased (including ALL 22LR ammo, even if I knew it was being used in a rifle). That was the law until around the mid '80's. I haven't been in the biz for the last 15 years and shoot mostly reloads. The factory ammo I do buy, I buy online so I don't know what local laws may be in effect.

Kharn
April 2, 2003, 09:30 PM
I was 5 in 1986. Never signed the book, but I just send my C&R instead of a copy of my driver's license when ordering ammo.

Kharn

craigz
April 2, 2003, 11:21 PM
Homeland Security, Mayberry style.

Name: B. Fife
Caliber: .38 Special
Quantity: 1

AR-10
April 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
Actually, they don't record the quantity.

That reminds me of the stories my hardware store owner/FFL friend likes to tell of certain people in town who have come in asking for six bullets. :D

It really doesn't bother me to be in The Book. Anything I buy in the county lasts about two hours. I just think it is a hoot that anyone thinks this info is valuable.

As for Homeland Security, I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or go load a few more mags when I read the local paper last summer. They did a spread on the local LEOs practicing tactical procedures for a Terrorist Attack. They were showing off their new black gear, balaclavas and all.

I live in a town of 3200, in a county of less than ten thousand. It really is Mayberry. Tactical style. :rolleyes:

Kharn
April 2, 2003, 11:55 PM
AR-10: My local sheriff's office has been doing the same thing, almost bi-monthly full page articles in the local paper showing off their latest and greatest mall ninja accesories. Their latest acquisition? An armored car complete with pintel (pintle?) mount and gunner shield ala M113 that they leave parked in front of their building. Its anyones guess what they have locked away in the armory to go on that pintel.

Kharn

TexasVet
April 3, 2003, 12:33 AM
I always just tell them "submachine gun" and watch the glazed, confused look come over their eyes.:what:

Tamara
April 3, 2003, 12:37 AM
Well, is Oshman's still in bidness?

If so, I reckon it is, then, as my first gun and ammunition purchase in my name was in January of 1985, some time before FOPA '86 rendered the ammo log book obsolete. ;)

TearsOfRage
April 3, 2003, 06:33 PM
only the ammoman knows :evil:

RustyHammer
April 4, 2003, 09:34 AM
.... what about bulk purchases from places like cheaperthandirt or Natchezss? Can you even order it through them in your local?

AR-10
April 4, 2003, 08:42 PM
RustyHammer,

Yes, I can, although I seldom do. I buy cases of ammo at gunshows quite frequently. Also buy cases at various gunshops.

The fact that I can get ammo just about anywhere, without leaving the house if I choose to buy online, illustrates the uselessness of continuing the record keeping at the county level. The records are not required in every county, either. So none of the ammo I am purchasing elsewhere (other than mailorder) has any record of sale that points to me.

It's just one of those silly regulations that was never terminated.

Schuey2002
April 5, 2003, 12:44 PM
Nope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Your Name in the Ammunition Logbook?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!