Time for another Austin shoot?

PDA

Drizzt
November 12, 2005, 04:26 PM
Well, now that the weather is getting back down into the slightly more bearable range, is anyone up for another Austin TX get-together? I'm still out of work, so I've got plenty of time..... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Time for another Austin shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MatthewVanitas
November 12, 2005, 05:37 PM
I just moved to Austin back at the start of the semester, and it'd be great to meet some THR folks in the area.

It's funny actually, I've only met two THR members in person, and both of those were for firearms sales at FFLs in California. Maybe we should all wear THR shirts to the range, as has so often been suggested.

So I'll keep my eye on this thread. Where are THR meets usually held?

-MV

elric
November 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
I'd be interested in meeting a few local THRers, just need to figure out where/when.

Kacerdias
November 14, 2005, 02:17 PM
I'm up for it, but I won't be back in town until the 18th. Any time after that would be shiny.

HankB
November 14, 2005, 05:34 PM
Maybe sometime during Thanksgiving week?

Drizzt
November 16, 2005, 11:36 AM
either that week or the week after....

belton-deer-hunter
November 16, 2005, 12:28 PM
i live in belton let me know when you plan where to do that i would like to meet some thr members. what kinda shoot like pistols, long range rifles, or just at a local range?

Kacerdias
November 16, 2005, 02:19 PM
As far as locations, there is a great pistol/rifle/skeet range in Manor, TX not too far from the Austin city limits. It's the Austin Skeet and Rifle range right off of Hwy 290E. It's an outdoor range (easier to socialize), $7 per gun/per shooter for all day blasting and $7 per skeet/trap round with clays included. The rangemasters are great folks too. :)

Sound good?

Spreadfire Arms
November 16, 2005, 02:21 PM
if it does not conflict with my schedule i may pop my head in and say hello. if you elect to use austin skeet & rifle range call the owner Stan and reserve the CHL range so it can be used for the THR shoot. otherwise someone else may be on it when you get there, or the Sheriff's Dept. may already be on it.

last time i checked old Stan didn't want full auto fire anymore...the range officers told me 3 round burst is ok.

elliost
November 16, 2005, 08:07 PM
I'm up for a get together weekends are best for me.

belton-deer-hunter
November 17, 2005, 11:55 AM
there is a shooting range up in tryo texas called webers we may be able to tlak to them they have the best range i have seen (only been to two) but it is really hight class they give you a golf cart to drive and is jsut really fancy but a greast range

Drizzt
November 26, 2005, 10:59 PM
Well, since I am still without a job, it looks like I may be moving next week, so I don't know if I would even be in the area to participate now anyhow....

Tman
November 29, 2005, 09:44 AM
For the Weber's range (in Troy, TX):

http://www.webersguns.com/webers_outdoors.htm

The public has access to the shotgun/clay target portion. IIRC the pistol and rifle range is open to members only???? Don't know if they allow full auto. Also, you have to stop shooting when the train passes by. TRAIN!! They do have a very nice outdoor facility. Was there shooting skeet and once on Smith&Wesson day when you could try out their pistols (1911 PD commander....didn't want to shoot the .500magS&W or the .475?S&W).

EYESOFTEXAS
November 29, 2005, 01:31 PM
How long are the ranges at Austin Skeet & Rifle? I've been there a few times, but only ever for shotgunning.

Looking for any range in Austin longer than 100 yards. I shoot most every weekend, but at Red's (south store, 0-100 yards). I'd like to reach out a bit more with my 300 WSM. And I just bought a 338 lapua.

HPJeep
December 3, 2005, 12:01 PM
Count me in too for the shoot. I have been to the range in Manor several times. Heard about a good range on 183 north of Leander. Something like $10 for everything. You can bring 12 guns and shoot all day long for $10. I heard it is a nice range too compared to the one in Manor. I am game for anything though.

Daniel T
December 13, 2005, 01:25 PM
Depending on when we shedule it, I'm in.

Manor isn't bad, and it's easy to get to. A bit rustic perhaps, but the CHL range is decent.

trav58
December 13, 2005, 02:10 PM
Count me in too for the shoot. I have been to the range in Manor several times. Heard about a good range on 183 north of Leander. Something like $10 for everything. You can bring 12 guns and shoot all day long for $10. I heard it is a nice range too compared to the one in Manor. I am game for anything though.

Eagle Peak Shooting Range (http://epsr.home.texas.net/)

I haven't shot there yet, but my girlfriend bought me a gift certificate for my birthday a couple months back, and I haven't had the chance to make it out there. It has a 200 yd rifle range, it's pretty far away if you're coming from South Austin though.

CentralTexas
December 13, 2005, 04:00 PM
I went ONCE several years ago, father in law in town and wanted to shoot outdoors. Besides range fee there is a annual membership fee of $40 I think, he had to pay and my wife who wasn't shooting did to go on the range with us. Only certain types of ammo allowed etc
Havent been back....
CT

Spreadfire Arms
December 13, 2005, 09:45 PM
eagle peak does not have a $40 annual fee that i am aware of.

they do have a $10 one-time membership fee where they give you a range card. you then can shoot every time there all day for $10 each day.

you cannot shoot FMJ rifle ammo there. that is a setback for alot of people. there is a CHL range and the range is very well maintained.

there is NO full auto or rapid fire allowed there.

RomanKnight
December 13, 2005, 09:54 PM
Any takers?

MatthewVanitas
December 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
I'm booked up for the rest of December, but early January is good for me.

The consensus thus far seems to be that Austin Skeet and Rifle (Manor) is the best bet. The only troublesome part is their "per gun" requirement, which I've never even heard of despite going to ranges in five different states.

Do you think ASR might waive/modify the per-gun rule if we booked as a group, and explained that we're "sort of collectors' organization"?

Isn't there a good diner of some sort in Manor, perhaps a shoot-and-sup?

I'm a member of Austin Rifle Club (also in Manor), but that has a required orientation meeting that only goes once monthly, and I think a THR meet would be really, really stretching their "guest shooter" policy.

-MV

lowracer
December 14, 2005, 12:22 AM
Eagle Peak is a great outdoor range. I used to shoot there all the time when I lived in Austin. They're friendly and run a safe range without being 'nannies' about it. Ten bucks for the range card, plus ten bucks a day, shoot as many guns as you like and as long as you want. Heck they'll even let you use a 4-wheeled cart to load your guns into, to bring them from your truck to the firing line. There's a gun shop inside the building and they have ammo, targets, accessories, loading supplies and equipment, a CCW classroom, and a real heated restroom.

There's also the Hill Country Rifle Range out by Hamilton Pool. No range card or member fees, only $5 to shoot plus I think a couple bucks extra each gun. Full auto is apparently fine and dandy there. They have a plinking range where you can shoot at metal pigs and chickens, and if you've never seen a line of metal pigs and chickens falling to the onslaught of TWO machine guns going simultaneously, you're missing out on one of life's rare treats. My wife loved to shoot at this range for the plinking range alone, though she could have done without the full auto. Otherwise it does not seem to be as well run as Eagle Peak, you're kinda more on your own and the facilities are not as kept up. No gun shop that I ever saw, no store, and the restrooms are some porta-potties about 500 feet away from the line. Hey the restroom thing is important if you're bringing the spouse, for sure.

Spreadfire Arms
December 14, 2005, 07:54 AM
two thoughts.

1. you can rent the CHL range at the Austin Skeet & Rifle Range in Manor. my friend did it the day after Thanksgiving. we took out a bunch of firearms and Stan was fine with it. also he did allow full auto.

2. they don't call Crazy Richard crazy for nothing. he is ????ing nuts. there aren't a whole lot of people who will go shoot at his place since he is crazy. go do a search on "Crazy Richard" and you'll see. personally if you host this shoot at Hamilton Pool i will not go. i boycotted going to his place for my own safety. everyone i know who still shoots there carries a backup gun in case they need to take him down.:confused:

lowracer
December 14, 2005, 09:05 AM
they don't call Crazy Richard crazy for nothing. he is ????ing nuts.

Yeah, we got that vibe too when we were there, but I did not know he had this nickname and reputation. If it weren't for the metal pigs and chickens, we'd never have gone back. Don't know of any other ranges in the area where you can shoot metal targets like that.

HankB
December 14, 2005, 11:06 AM
Crazy Richard isn't too bad as long as you don't talk politics, religion, land reform, Hollywood, the End Times, or lawyers with him . . . he WILL try to talk your ear off if you let him. (I'm still trying to figure out why "they" put 47 pounds of plutonium on Jupiter . . . for that matter, I'm still trying to figure out who "they" are . . . but I didn't feel like asking him. I was afraid he might tell me.)

I've never felt I might need to "take him down" . . . and since he got a shave and a haircut a couple of years back, he doesn't look quite so much like Charles Manson as he used to . . .

MatthewVanitas
December 19, 2005, 12:22 AM
@ Drizzt: not trying to hijack your shoot, but are you still planning to move for a new job? If circumstances are compelling you to move, I'm willing to start putting together a shoot.

Here's my proposal:

WHERE: Austin Skeet and Rifle (Manor, TX, 20min east of downtown Austin on Hwy 290)
WHEN: Saturday 21st January 2006, 1PM-5PM, followed by optional THR dinner at a Manor restaurant
COST: Currently, ASR has a $7/shooter/gun fee, but I suggest that someone who is friends with the owner call to reserve us some rangespace and get a group discount, preferably one that doesn't charger per-gun, since we're all "collectors" or various sorts.
WHY: To meet other THR members, try out/show off cool gear, swap ammo or accessories, have fun.

We seem to have a lot of debate on the issue, but I think the above meets the needs of the majority. After the holidays but not too far down the road, decently centralized range with good rep and good price (if we negotiate as a group), etc.

I'm really looking forward to meeting other THR-folks (including some who may come up from San Anton), and have a bunch of ammo and accessories that I'd rather trade than sell. Got a bunch of 45-70 and no gun for it, need 223.

If Mr Drizzt is still running things, I offer this as a suggestion. If Drizzt is tied up in life at the moment, I offer to take the conn. If anyone is buddy-buddy with the ASR staffers, please post so (Spreadfire?). If anyone has a favorite affordable restaurant in Manor, likewise.

If you support the above proposal, please sound off, otherwise we'll have to PM you individually for a yea/nay.

If you know any other Austin THRfolk, clue them in. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

-MV

Malice
December 19, 2005, 01:45 AM
I am in San Antonio, Id like to come up if school and work permits.

jeremywills
December 19, 2005, 09:43 AM
+1, I been talking with Matt and Im game to drive up to Austin from here, Mr Malice sir, if you want we can always meet up here locally and possibly carpool or something if interested, lemme know, like a pre meet and greet for the meet and greet :D

@Matt, or whoever finally organizes this, if you do get this going please let us SA folks know in as much advance time as possible so we can try and plan to go, I haven't been up to Austin in a while and meeting some of the fine folks here on the boards sounds like fun.

SCarruth
December 19, 2005, 11:36 AM
I'm up for it. keep me posted.

CentralTexas
December 19, 2005, 12:06 PM
Me to!

tuckerdog1
December 19, 2005, 07:25 PM
My plans sometimes get changed on short notice. But for now, I'm there.

As the 21st gets closer, I'll be able to firm it up. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Tuckerdog1

waterhouse
December 19, 2005, 08:20 PM
I've been real busy lately, so this has been in the back of my mind, but if I'm still in Austin at the end of January this sounds great. Maybe my suppressor will have cleared by then :D

Spreadfire Arms
December 20, 2005, 02:00 AM
arrgh! :(

on that day (1/21/06) i think i am returning from Blackwater......

HankB
December 20, 2005, 11:03 AM
Right now, it sounds good to me . . .

elric
December 20, 2005, 12:51 PM
I can probably make that. Although, I'm not thrilled about the location. Had too many idiots point loaded guns at me there. :uhoh:

Maybe if we can chase off all the bleach blonde bimbos who swivel around 180 degrees with their fingers on the triggers of their boyfriends' .357 saying "that's like so cool!" I'd feel better ... :)

mosttoyswins
December 20, 2005, 01:48 PM
+1 from San Antonio as well, keep us posted!

MatthewVanitas
December 20, 2005, 02:23 PM
Mr Drizzt being occupied, I'm taking the conn for the time being, and definitely welcome input from all other THRfolks.

The date/time is looking pretty good for most folks (sorry SA, will see you at your store later, and hopefully at the next THR shoot). So that's a step in the right direction.

I realize that no range in the area is ideal, but ASR seems the best compromise. But I'm working another backup option: at the end of Dec, I'm going to drop a line to some folks at Austin Rifle Club (also in Manor), and see if we can work something out with them.

I request that any fellow ARC members send me a PM: the more ARC members we have on the trip, the easier it will be for me to try and convince ARC to let us hold our shoot there. ARC has a nice outdoor facility and a lack of knuckleheads, but it's a "members" range. I'd like to come at them from this angle: we're a collectors'/gunpolitics forum, will have several ARC members present, are willing to assign a Range Officer from the ranks, etc. etc. Perhaps they'd even support it as a way to advertise their range to responsible shooters.

Even if we do move to ARC, the overall plan at the top of this page is still valid, we'd simply be moving the location a couple miles east, so slight modification only.

For the next couple weeks, if you see a posting from someone in the Austin area, please drop them a PM to let them know that our thread is here. Take care, -MV

TamThompson
December 20, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'd prefer Eagle Peak. Their prohibition of FMJ rifle ammo is due to all the rock out there and the potential for ricochets.

The Manor Road range attracts too many gang-bangers shooting unsafely to suit me, although the owners are nice.

Another thing about Crazy Richard is that he's a brass Nazi. Don't be seen picking up brass. That's why Texas Tactical no longer has matches there.

Daniel T
December 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
The prohibition of FMJ is a complete deal killer on Eagle Peak.

Also, sorry Tam, but I've never seen a "gang-banger" at ASR, and I've been going there for at least a decade, if not longer.

Thanks for running with this Matthew; I look forward to meeting you and the other High Roaders at the range. :)

CentralTexas
December 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
I've seen more Gang Bangers at Red's than there!
CT

MatthewVanitas
December 20, 2005, 09:42 PM
Improved range ideas:

1) If we go Austin Skeet and Rifle, we'll try to reserve the CHL range to ourselves, thus no gangbanger problems (except THR gangbangers; we've got all kinds)

2) If I can sell the idea to the club officers, we'll take a stab at getting a range to ourselves at Austin Rifle Club. Nice place, no hassles. Thus it's important that any ARC members who want to attend contact me and let me know they're members. The higher the member/visitor ratio, the easier to sell the idea to the club. There are maybe 3 or 4 ARC members in on the deal so far.

Looking good thus far, and I've been abusing the Search engine to find folks who've posted on Austin topics in the last couple years. Again, the importance of folks chiming in on this thread with a "me to" or "next time" post, so we don't have to hunt everybody down for the (potential) Spring Austin Shoot later on down the road.

-MV

MudPuppy
December 22, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds good to me--I'm not too picky about location.

Even if its a per gun thing, I'll still be in (it'll be nice just to meet some THR folks).

jeremywills
December 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
i might be buying a new shotty tommrow if all goes well, any of these places shotty friendly, im bringing it all if I come, I have never been to a meet and greet like this before, im kind of excited to make the trip

matt, definately if I dont make this meet and greet at least we can still plan to meet up sometime in the near future, but im definately going to try and make this one instead

cheers everyone

photo_guy
December 22, 2005, 08:24 PM
I'd like to join you guys but it is too early to know if I will be in town that day. Thanks for setting things up. I see as my schedule develops if I can make it.

Texfire
December 22, 2005, 11:18 PM
Put me in the I'd love to column. But I'm on duty the 21st, and we're at minimum staffing, so no way for me to take off. Maybe some other time.

If enough people have conflicts that the date gets changed, I'd be able to do the 28th. Otherwise have a good time and I'll catch you on the flipside.

Tex

Spreadfire Arms
December 23, 2005, 08:22 PM
the 21st is a day i can't make, since i am coming back from Blackwater that day and even if i did make it back i have a gun show to attend!

anyway Matthew if you do choose to use Austin Skeet & Rifle Range best bet is to talk to Stan, the owner, and ask him if you can reserve the range that day and ask him how much it is. i have no idea how much it is since i didnt get the range last time...my friend made all the arrangements.

MatthewVanitas
December 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
The tentative list so far, those who have PMed me are given by initial for anonymity. If you did PM me, please do add a post to this thread, unless you're laying really low:

Probables

MatthewVanitas
AustinTexas
mudpuppy
elric
HankB
Tuckerdog1
CentralTexas
SCarruth
OscarOrum
Jax
"MP"
"Dv"

Coming up from San Anton (carpool)?:

jeremywillis
malice
mosttoyswins

Maybes

waterhouse
photoguy
TamThompson
Drizzt
"C.H"
"l.w."
"l.h.g"

I'm going to plan for roughly twentyish, and at least four of us are ARC members, which should make it easier for me to make the case for ARC (which is a great outdoor range in Manor) to let us hold the shoot there. I just sent the ARC officers an email, will post back when I get a reply. All looking good thus far. Keep inviting any Austin members you see posting in the next couple weeks, and please let folks know to leave a post on this thread so we can have a rough guess as to who will show.

Futher, I suggest that folks bring out any gun books, accessories, extra ammo, etc. that they're interested in trading. I've got various grips and scopes to get rid of, and tons of ammo (45-70, 45LC, etc.) that I no longer have guns for (need .223, .45). Not to turn it into a swap meet, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of socializing mixed in with the shooting, and its far more effective to trade than to toss out ammo that you can't use anymore.

Tentatively planning for Cafe 290 in Manor as our optional post-shoot dinner.

Will continue to update thread as situation develops.

-MV

Tejas Gunwerks
December 24, 2005, 02:19 PM
I will be attending the SAXET gunshow that day.

jeremywills
December 25, 2005, 12:02 AM
Title says all, no need to take multiple cars with the current gas prices etc... if anyone is interested in carpooling, LMK please either myself and or matt since hes spearheading this thing. My car seats 4, so thats myself and 3 others. If someone else wants to do the driving, Ill go halfsies on the gas if they have a van or something bigger than my lil ol ford escort. Just some suggestions folks.

Oscar Orum
December 26, 2005, 03:25 PM
Gentlemen and Ladies, I am interested in a metting 1/21/2006 and would vote for ARC of which I am a member. Thanks for the PM from Matthew.

Jax
December 26, 2005, 04:33 PM
Howdy, y'all.

I've been out to Stan's place many times to use the CHL range. He has always charged me a fixed fee per person for the range - usually $8 to $10. I believe he charges the per gun rates when shooting on the line, though.

I was the one who arranged the full auto shoot with Spreadfire at ASRR. Stan charged $10 per person that day - for 5 hours of unrestricted range time. All they asked is that we police the range and leave it looking as nice as when we started (or better). We *did* provide our own targets.

I've never been to ARC. Heard good things about it, though.

I'm in for either location.

jeremywills,

If you have a tactical shotty theres no problem shooting it on the CHL range. I've done that many times. If you're looking for sport shooting, he also has skeet stands.

MatthewVanitas,

AFAIK, Cafe 290 is about the best Manor restaurant - but that ain't saying much.

TamThompson,

I've also seen 'bangers at ASRR - but not on the CHL range. (I've seen far more at Red's, though, trying out their new Birdman sights...)

IZinterrogator
December 27, 2005, 12:56 AM
I'll be in the field doing an exercise here at Hood from the 5th to the 27th. :( Shoot me an e-mail if it has to be bumped for some reason to the next weekend.

AustinTexas
December 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
I'm game.

MatthewVanitas
December 29, 2005, 04:17 PM
Initial reaction is good, but they need to check with the rest of the board. I'll post back when we get a final confirmation either way. ASRR is our back-up plan, but ARC would be a lot better, due to all the reasons mentioned in the thread. We're looking at 15-20 folks currently, looking good. Plan is still a go, just narrowing down which Manor range. Will update soon. -MV

jeremywills
December 29, 2005, 07:02 PM
i already asked for the time off and everything, wether or not anyone carpools with me from SA im definately in

just awaiting the details so i can mapquest it and have my directions in hand :)

RomanKnight
December 29, 2005, 08:22 PM
99% sure I'll be there. It would be better if we could get the ASRR CHL range, although I don't know if there will be any long range shooters among us. Cafe 290 used to be good, but no info for the past couple of years.

incursion
January 3, 2006, 06:15 PM
I might be able to make it.

Fire1
January 4, 2006, 03:38 PM
You can put me and my wife down as "possible". We are also both ARC members.

timn
January 5, 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that my son, our wives and I (all shooters) can make it.

Farnham
January 8, 2006, 11:21 PM
Do I just show up with a truck fulla guns and share, or do I have to actually socialize? ;)

I'm in. Might have one seat for somebody in San Antonio, Mrs. Farnham's schedule depending.

S/F

Farnham

MatthewVanitas
January 9, 2006, 12:23 AM
PLEASE DIRECT ALL FUTURE TRAFFIC TO THE UPDATED AUSTIN SHOOT THREAD:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2154229#post2154229

We can use this thread as a source of names for the Spring Shoot. I've personally invited about everyone I could find from the greater Austin area who has posted over the course of 2005, so when searching for invitees in the future, no need to go any further back than 2006.

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "Time for another Austin shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!