Rites of Passage

PDA

sm
April 2, 2003, 01:03 AM
Another thread got me to thinking. Seems we goes through some common learning experiences, growing pains...Rites of passage.
Some we are forewarned, sometimes too late, or we have to be reminded. So for the sake of fun, laughing at ourselves , reviewing scars, being reminded, or informing the new shooters...

1) Slide stop scratch (AKA character)
2) Muzzle burn (be it summer temp., holstering, etc)
3) Recoil Spring going ballistic
4) GI plug going ballistic (usually in a differrent direction , bouncing off everthing and ending up in the most furtherest corner in the room)

c'mon, I know I'm not the only one:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Rites of Passage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
April 2, 2003, 01:12 AM
5) M1 thumb. :uhoh:

QuickDraw
April 2, 2003, 01:17 AM
Tamara,
Now thats a memory that still hurts!

QuickDraw

Mike Irwin
April 2, 2003, 02:10 AM
There was a dent in the wall in my old office at the NRA Publications building from where the receiver cover and recoil spring for my SKS hit when I forgot that the action had to be decocked before attempting to remove the cover...

Nightcrawler
April 2, 2003, 02:27 AM
One time, I wsn't careful when removing the gas piston spring on my FAL. The spring and steel plug shot out straight up, hit my light bulb, knocking out the lights and blowing a fuse in my house.

LOL

Devonai
April 2, 2003, 03:07 AM
I've suffered no injuries at the hands of my firearms. Humiliation, yes. The most notable time was when buying my Beretta 92G with the "Lethal Weapon 4" take-down lever. Due to the added force required to move this type of lever I lost hold of the slide and sent it flying into the gut of the shop owner. He then pointed to a rather conspicuous sign not a foot away from me that read, "NO DISASSEMBLY OF WEAPONS ALLOWED EXCEPT BY EMPLOYEES." No harm done but I could forget about a discount after that.

Azrael256
April 2, 2003, 03:09 AM
Mike, you were lucky. Took darn near 3 months for my thumbnail to grow back. I did, however, put a dent in a wall doing that with a 1911. That spring will really throw that little cap.

- AK barrels get real hot when you shoot them all day. Still have the burn scar on my forearm.
- ALWAYS make sure that the baseplate of your USP mags are clicked into position BEFORE loading them. Mom gets real mad when the spring comes shooting out of that little sucker and shatters a water glass all over the living room.
- Be real sure you put your SKS firing pin back in the right way. Better yet, get one of those nifty pins with the spring on it so you don't... well... you know.
- Never, EVER put the firing pin in a 1911 without the spring. This one wasn't mine, but I had the pleasure of spending a good hour gingerly tapping it out without dinging up the finish.

I seem to have a real problem with springy things. I think I'll stick to leverguns and revolvers from now on.

sm
April 2, 2003, 03:11 AM
quote:
"Does M-1100 thumb count too?"

YES !! Oh Yes!!

Now to index fingers...

M-1100 "sliced tip end of index finger syndrome" . Left inside of receiver is razor sharp, just gonna a take a patch and ...Yikes!

jsalcedo
April 2, 2003, 08:35 AM
No matter how hard I try slide stop scratch on a 1911 is nearly impossible to avoid.

I have to use a brass punch to push in rounded pin coming off the safety while I get the slide stop in place usually requiring 3 hands.

Are there any good solutions to this annoying problem.

shermacman
April 2, 2003, 08:40 AM
I have a beautiful old bolt action .22 rifle that belonged to my father. Recently I was poking holes in poor defenseless paper targets and shooting with spectacular skill and accuracy...and failed to close the bolt completely. The heat, shock wave and tiny bits of burning powder were impressive even for a .22. The only damage to the rifle was the 10 round magazine which was blasted out of the bottom into several useless pieces. The bullet made it all the way to the end of the barrel but tapped out easily enough. I am not blind due to the fact that I wear goggles. :what:

MacPelto
April 2, 2003, 08:48 AM
Second worst - M1 thumb...I'll never forget it.

Absolute worst - Selling a gun that my grandfather gave me...I'll never forgive myself, I should've known better.

Sisco
April 2, 2003, 08:57 AM
Not me, but a friend. 7mm mag, short eye-relief scope. Yep, crescent moon scar above the eyebrow.

foghornl
April 2, 2003, 09:00 AM
M-1 Thumb

Rem 1100 index finger

Stevens/Savage M94B Thumb

Tis one takes a while to explain...suffice to say it was a 'speedload' trick attempted with shell carried in forend support hand, popping action open tossing in 16Ga shell, and slamming shut the barrel. Note to those that try this trick..make sure shell goes into chamber, and not thumb of forend support hand, before slamming action closed.....:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Red Ryder trigger hand

Don't shoot Red Ryder without lever fully closed, and the rest of trigger hand fingers INSIDE the lever........:cuss:

Mauserlady
April 2, 2003, 01:29 PM
crescent moon scar above the eyebrow.

Same here, different circumstance.

Shooting a .50... First shot about knocked me off the stool I was sitting on. Planted my feet a little better for the second shot but forgot to roll with the recoil....

"Ouch... THAT'S gonna leave a mark"

It did.... :D

dongun
April 2, 2003, 02:46 PM
A buck snuck up on the wrong side of my stand and required me to shoot my rifle left-handed. Scope kissed me across the bridge of the nose. I bled more than the buck. Still have the scar.

buzz_knox
April 2, 2003, 03:12 PM
I put a slide stop scratch into my ANIB blued Delta Elite a while back. :(

I've also put a dent in my brother-in-law's wall from a recoil spring plug going bye bye. He knew exactly what happened from the sound and my asking him for a flashlight.

Nathaniel Firethorn
April 2, 2003, 03:22 PM
6) Slide in the anatomy.

- pdmoderator

sm
April 2, 2003, 03:25 PM
Slide stop, have seen two tricks.

1) pc of plastic screwdriver modified with a notch cut ( gunsmith used those electricians use). 2) Guy had a notch cut in the corner of American Express Card...never leaves home...it works.

Helping with students "Do not cross thumb behind slide...hold like this" Most Always at least one student finds the slide the hard way...

sm
April 2, 2003, 03:31 PM
Opening the Skeet field, getting the traps ready, loaded up and standing in the high house you trip the switch...you know it works better if you open the door first...:D

not that I would know anything about this--you understand :o

Trisha
April 2, 2003, 03:44 PM
Headstamp brand!

Hot ejected brass temporarily brands the headstamp on exposed skin. . .

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rites of Passage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!