Taurus PT145 Mil Pro vs other Polly pocket 45's.

PDA

HighVelocity
November 14, 2005, 10:23 AM
About a month ago I picked up a used PT 145 Mil Pro w/stainless slide. I had my doubts being this was my first Taurus product and the price was incredibly low at $200. :eek: (I saw them brand new at a gunshow for $289)

I own or have owned a few compact polymer 45's. Glock 30, HK USP V1 and a CZ TT.

In my hands, the PT145 out handles them all by a wide margin. This little gun is well designed, has great ergonomics and is built tough enough to chug down box after box of 230grainers without cleaning and never miss a beat.

Some of the advantages as I see it...

1) Smallest of the lot with high capacity
2) Snag free (no sharp edges)
3) Smooth DAO trigger and NO little lever in the middle of the trigger
4) Thumb safety and slide stop levers placed just right for a 1911 guy.
5) Slim profile (smaller than G30) but still holds 10 rounds
6) Standard rifling will safely accept cast bullets
7) Good sights and very accurate
8) Loaded chamber indicator
9) 100% reliable from day 1 with all ammo I've tried (1,400 rounds so far)

There was a lot of attention to detail put into this gun. Little things like a small dished out spot on the both sides of the frame (lefty friendly) right behind the accessory rail to rest the thumb of your off hand in. So simple but makes a huge difference by insuring you get the exact same hand placement on every draw.
A nice big serrated mag release button that is easy to find but doesn't protrude so far as to be hit accidentally. The shape of the trigger is DA revolver like and is smooth on the front, not serrated.
Wide cocking serrations on the slide.

In summary, I will recommend this gun to anyone looking for a compact 45acp pistol for concealed carry.
It is the best bang for the buck in the polly pocket 45 class, hands down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT145 Mil Pro vs other Polly pocket 45's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigmike45
November 14, 2005, 03:59 PM
HighVelocity,

I have been carrying one now for a couple of years as my BUG behind my primary 1911. It also performs the duty as primary carry in the office/church or anywhere I need a gun in my pocket because I cant wear it in a holster of some sort.

Mine......like yours has been exceptionally dependable, extremely accurate, and I love that it shoots to point of aim right out of the box. Mine has the little rail in front of the trigger guard and I have an XML light that I attach to it at home. I have been told that the rail model is the newest model, supposedly with all the frame cracking and other noted problems corrected. All I know is I am passing 2500 rounds and the darn thing is like an old Timex watch..."Takes A Likkin and Keeps on Tickin".:D

Darn good gun for the money.;)

HighVelocity
November 14, 2005, 04:24 PM
HighVelocity,

I have been carrying one now for a couple of years as my BUG behind my primary 1911. It also performs the duty as primary carry in the office/church or anywhere I need a gun in my pocket because I cant wear it in a holster of some sort.

Mine......like yours has been exceptionally dependable, extremely accurate, and I love that it shoots to point of aim right out of the box. Mine has the little rail in front of the trigger guard and I have an XML light that I attach to it at home. I have been told that the rail model is the newest model, supposedly with all the frame cracking and other noted problems corrected. All I know is I am passing 2500 rounds and the darn thing is like an old Timex watch..."Takes A Likkin and Keeps on Tickin".:D

Darn good gun for the money.;)

Mine too! I forgot to mention the rail. I think the little xml light looks better on the Taurus than it ever did on my XD. :D

madmike38
November 14, 2005, 10:17 PM
iv'e got the older millenium pro,when they first came out i have about 3,000 rds through mine, no cracks found in mine. but anyway it is my main carry piece i love it. no problems with mine.

mjolnir
November 14, 2005, 10:20 PM
You're right:
It's one of the smallest 10 round 45 ACP semi-autos.
Trigger pull decent and not that long.
Second strike capability (no racking slide to reset striker).
Safety lever.
Mine also shot exactly to point of aim right out of the box.
SURPRISINGLY good accuracy (barrel doesn't move at all). At least equal to my P345, P220, and Kimber Target II.

That said, I wouldn't expect it last long with continuous firing. Small package = small parts.:uhoh:

bratch
November 14, 2005, 11:00 PM
How does it compare in height to a Kimber Compact/CDP?

madmike38
November 15, 2005, 12:47 AM
i think the cdp is slightly taller.not by much, i just ran across a cdp ll at gander mountain,i'm not into 1911's but this gun was never fired and they wanted 725.00 for it so i threw it on lawaway,they said it retails for 1.200, as soon as i get it i'll snap some pics.

MachIVshooter
November 15, 2005, 09:22 PM
How does it compare in height to a Kimber Compact/CDP?

Most of the micro 1911's are slimmer, but they are also heavier and, excepting the para "Hawg's", have less capacity. IMO, the little Taurus is in a league of it's own. It is simply the smallest and lightest full capacity .45 out there. It is dimensionally smaller than the new Kahr P45, albeit a tad heavier. And it certainly beats them all price-wise.

wally
November 15, 2005, 09:36 PM
It is simply the smallest and lightest full capacity .45 out there. It is dimensionally smaller than the new Kahr P45, albeit a tad heavier. And it certainly beats them all price-wise.

Kahr P45 is significantly thinner than either the PT145 or my Kimber Ultra Carry.
Not sure it justifies the high price though.

--wally.

Babalouie
November 15, 2005, 09:41 PM
I have a PT 140 Mil Pro and love it the same as you guys. Its my main ccw...carry it in a Tucker Texas Heritage. Never a failure of anykind. Shoots a little low left though.

mjolnir
November 16, 2005, 08:34 AM
Wally, it's thinner because it's a single stack. For a large-capacity .45, the Taurus is tiny.

As an example, my Glock 38 only holds 8 rds in the tube, has a larger grip circumference, and a longer reach to the trigger. This with a midget round!

The Taurus holds 10 full-length ACPs, has a smaller grip circumference, and a shorter reach to the trigger. It's also lighter.

Of course, the Glock will probably still be shooting when the Taurus is ready for the old gun's home.

made2cut
November 16, 2005, 09:37 AM
I have a PT 140 Mil Pro and love it the same as you guys. Its my main ccw...carry it in a Tucker Texas Heritage. Never a failure of anykind. Shoots a little low left though.

My pt145 is shooting a little low as well, if I want the shots on target I have to cover my POA with the sites. Otherwise I am satisfied with the accuracy. Last night I was able to put 10 rounds on an 8 1/2 X 11 target at 20 yards at the end of the night when I was pretty tired. I was very happy with that given my skill level.

This was the second time shooting the gun and I am still having problems with rounds failing to fire the first time around. Using the DA second strike capability of the trigger they go bang but this problem is starting to bother me. I had failures last time with WWB so I tried Federal American Eagle FMJ last night with similar results. I cleaned it good when I came home and will try again tomorrow. I'm hoping this is a break in issue as I have less than 200 rds through it.

MachIVshooter
November 16, 2005, 04:37 PM
Well, with all the recent posts about this little pistol, and my desire to have a smaller and lighter 'light clothing' CCW than my Witness 10mm compact, I decided I had a bona-fide need for a PT145. So today I meandered on down to Sportsman's Warehouse and picked one up. Timing was perfect, too, as Nov. 14-18 they are having a 6% off sale on all guns to cover sales tax. So $283 later I went home to try out the little all-black bullet launcher . Ran a mixed bag of ammo through it (230 gr. ball, 230 gr. Hydra-Shok, 185 Gr. Gold Dot +p, 230 gr. WWB). Several minutes later with a 3-3/8" 25 foot group consisting of 40 holes, the little pistol is still hiccup-free. I still do not like the ILS or loaded chamber indicator, but I can live with them. The LCI being located on the extractor is not too obtrusive, and the lock will be permanently unlocked with superglue.

HighVelocity
November 16, 2005, 04:43 PM
Who do I call at Sportsman's Warehouse to get my commission check? :D

Congrats on your new pistola. Regarding the ILS, I just ignore it.

On a side note... Regarding holsters, I carry mine in a Donner Gunleather high rise belt holster (similar to Galco Combat Master) designed for a Glock 27. It's a perfect fit.

http://webpages.charter.net/silverspurs21/range/milpro.jpg

Marshall
November 16, 2005, 06:07 PM
The .45 Mil Pro is the man of men for a small Hi Cap .45! It's the schnizzit.

Dave R
November 16, 2005, 11:58 PM
I have to agree. I'm enjoying mine. And it shoots right to POA.

Rob1035
November 17, 2005, 12:11 AM
how is it compared to a Glock 30, size wise?

torpid
November 17, 2005, 01:43 AM
how is it compared to a Glock 30, size wise?

Glock 30
Length 6.77 in
Height 4.76 in.
Width 1.27 in
Weight (without magazine) 23.99 oz (an empty magazine is 2.50 oz.)

PT145 Pro
Length 6 in.
Height 5.125 in.
Width 1.25 in
Weight 23 oz

(The Glock is shorter, but I do like the full hand grip of the Mil Pro over the stock Glock, personally.)

RussK
November 17, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hi guys. Just registered today so I could also brag on my Taurus PT-145. I've had it about 2 months now, only have approx 250 rounds thru it without any problems at all and LOVE this gun! I carry it in a Desantis IWB holster. When I first shot it, I too noticed that my rounds were a bit low and to the left. But using a rest, and covering the target with the front sight, I was right on the money. So it was me and not the gun. This is a fine handgun, and for what they sell for, a very good value.

ulflyer
November 17, 2005, 03:39 PM
Made2cut: I had problems similar to yours; some failures to ignite the primer but mine wouldn't fire on repeated trigger pulls. Tried all sorts of ammo including reloads with Federal primers which are reputed to be the softest. Didn't seem to matter. Never did isolate the "problem" but eventually it pretty much worked itself out with only a rare failure. Kept it for awhile but traded it in as I could never be comfortable using it as a carry gun.

HighVelocity
November 17, 2005, 04:26 PM
Were the light stike issues with the pre Pro milleniums? Did the ones that had trouble have light rails on them?
I'm trying to figure out if it a design flaw that has been corrected or a quality control problem. :confused:

Babalouie
November 17, 2005, 05:02 PM
I know it would be a real pain the butt but those light primer strikes can be fixed by sending it to Taurus for repair. Sounds like a stronger striker spring is needed, but I'm no gunsmith.

made2cut
November 17, 2005, 05:27 PM
Mine is a Mil Pro with the light rail. If the problem continues after say 500 rounds I will be contacting Taurus to see they can fix the issue.

HighVelocity
November 17, 2005, 05:31 PM
Mine is a Mil Pro with the light rail. If the problem continues after say 500 rounds I will be contacting Taurus to see they can fix the issue.

Don't wait, go ahead and call. It should run 100% out of the box.

ulflyer
November 17, 2005, 06:00 PM
Mine was a Mil Pro with the light rail...I made sure it was a current production model before I bought it. This was earlier this year. I don't keep track of rounds fired, but doubt that I ever got to 500. I subscribe to the notion a gun should fire properly right out of the box, and have no patience with one that doesn't; nor the patience to deal with warranties and shipping. I should note that I liked the gun and find myself picking them up at gun shows and wondering if I dare try another.

I later bought a Taurus 24/7, which has the same internals as far as I can tell, and it performed as it should. No problems.

made2cut
November 17, 2005, 08:41 PM
I just returned from the range having fired 100 rds of WWB through my PT145 with NO failures of any kind :D. I think my problems were due to the gun going through a break in period plus I cleaned and lubricated it well before tonights outing. I hope this is the start of a beautiful relationship between me and my little PT :p.

Kamicosmos
November 18, 2005, 06:02 PM
I am on the verge of buying one of these. I just love the idea of having 10 rounds of .45 in such a small package. The only thing holding me back is it would be competing with my SP101 for everyday CCW. They are pretty much the same dimension wise. The SP is a bit longer, and an ounce heavier.

decisions, decisions...

meef
November 18, 2005, 06:08 PM
I am on the verge of buying one of these. I just love the idea of having 10 rounds of .45 in such a small package. The only thing holding me back is it would be competing with my SP101 for everyday CCW. They are pretty much the same dimension wise. The SP is a bit longer, and an ounce heavier.

decisions, decisions...
No no..... not 10 rounds....... 10+1.

As for your being on the verge, let me try and help to push you over that line. I've been carrying one for about 6 months now and can tell you it wears/seems smaller than it actually is - and it really isn't very big.

And oh so reliable! Best firearm investment I've made in quite a while.

torpid
November 18, 2005, 08:35 PM

decisions, decisions...

To add fuel to the fire...

I already have a well-liked SP101 but just recently got the Mil Pro as well.

I really like the stout SP101 as a rugged 5-shot .357 wheelgun, but I really really like the Mil Pro's 11 rds of .45 in a similar sized package.

Speaking for myself, if I had to go with just one, I'd go with the Mil Pro at this point.

denfoote
November 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
You guys have ALMOST convinced me to give this beast another go!! :evil:

torpid
November 19, 2005, 12:56 AM
Ha ha!

It's not a PT145 thread without denfoote!
:D

patriarch 2
November 19, 2005, 10:58 AM
after 193 rounds/mixed 230 bn and 165 hydrashok my wonderful little pistol failed to return the trigger to firing position. had to be nudged fwd in order to fire again. i actually like the gun very much and consider this a fluke failure. problem is that taurus intl's repair station in fla has had it since 22 october and gave an immediate snail mail response along with repair order nbr. but. will not give any details about return to me date saying only a part has been ordered. i have told them i will not criticize the gun but will regularly badmouth their warranty response every chance i get.

regards::cuss:

Grayrock
November 20, 2005, 01:01 AM
Gotta give a thumbs up to my PT-145 MilPRO. I've been carrying it for several years with no problems at all. Love it. Just recently got a Fobus paddle holster for it. Alternate between it and a SmartCarry. I have noticed that after a particularly hot humid day here in Texas that the top edge of the safety lever has a light film of rust on it after being in the SmartCarry for a while. A quick wipe with Hoppes and a swipe of Remoil and it's good to go, though. Got 2 extra mags for it and carry the Taurus Total Copper hex hollow points exclusively.

Grayrock
November 20, 2005, 01:02 AM
PS- Oh - and Denfoote- go for it. I don't think you'll regret it this time:)

Marshall
November 20, 2005, 10:12 AM
i have told them i will not criticize the gun but will regularly badmouth their warranty response every chance i get.

I'm sure that made them warm up to you. I'm sure they put you on top of the pile after reading it, the don't fix for three more months pile. :p

kahuna
December 12, 2005, 06:18 PM

Hi,

I have my PT-145 now for about two months and ran about 200 rounds through it. At first, it was shooting low and left. But, after taking it to a gunsmith, it was not the gun. It was me! The gunsmith shot it and it was perfect for him.

This result was proven yesterday, when I took my Taurus to the range. Following some changes with my trigger pull and breathing, I was able to aim and shoot, and got a nice grouping in the middle of the target from about 15 yards. I continued with more rounds, but the grouping became more consistent. So, the gunsmith was right. It was the shooter. Live and learn once again.

Kahuna.

Richard.Howe
December 12, 2005, 09:58 PM
I shot my first PT-145 MilPRO a couple weeks ago. It's a well thought-out pistol. The trigger, while not match grade, was never intended for matches. It was reasonably accurate and quite ergonomic for a sample gun. My only three gripes?

1. Barrel is a little short for my tastes in 45 ACP. If I own this gun, I'm forced to use +P 230s at the very least -- and probably more like +P 200s or 185s. Which means that I'm now shooting a .40 S&W.

2. Internal lock bugs me to no end.

3. Extremely repeatable rendency to stovepipe when limpwristed. Proper form does away with this issue. I would have to hope that I or my loved ones execute proper form in an emergency!

FWIW,
Rich

Richard.Howe
December 12, 2005, 09:58 PM

Dave R
December 13, 2005, 08:09 PM
You guys have ALMOST convinced me to give this beast another go!! It would be fun to see denfoote give the PT-145 another try. Afterward, maybe he could save some typing time and just re-post his ORIGINAL PT-145 report...

(J/K!)

patriarch 2
December 14, 2005, 10:05 AM
WHILE MY PTI45 WAS IN MIAMI FOR WARRANTY REPAIR I BOUGHT A MIL PRO.
DURING A TEST SHOOT IT FAILED TO RELOAD FROM THE CLIP ONCE AND JAMMED AN EXPENDED CARTRIDGE WITH A NEW FEED. I WAS FIRING A MIX OF 230 GR AND 165. JURY STILL OUT. BELIEVE I WAS HAVING A CLIP PROBLEM.

PT145 REPAIR. AFTER 193 RDS THE TRIGGER OFTEN FAILED TO RETURN TO FIRING POSITION. TRS INT'L ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THE GUN BY RETURN MAIL..THEY DO NOT LIST AN E-MAIL SITE AND DID NOT USE MINE... I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR REPAIR NOR THE GUN SINCE RETURNED. BUT..THEY SURE DON'T COMMUNICATE AT ALL. THEY WOULD NOT ANSWER MY Q'S AS TO STATUS ONLY SAYING THEY HAD ORDERED A PART FROM BRAZIL. NO ETA. AFTER 8 WEEKS AN O'NITE FED EX APPEARED WITHOUT ANY PRIOR NOTICE. END OF STORY????

CHEERS, PATRIARCH 2

Smurfslayer
December 14, 2005, 01:04 PM
on the PT145MP forecast. My PT145 woes were detailed here on THR. From day one it had feed problems with both magazines, with different brands of ammunition, and FMJ round nose ammo. It also had light strikes, again on different types of ammunition. The final straw - I was going to send it to Taurus up until this point - was a spontaneous disassembly. Shot #2 I think, of a magazine the magazine, and catch assembly fell right out of the gun.

Every mfgr. puts out some bad examples, and I obviously had one such PT145, since quite a few posters here have a few trouble free rounds through theirs... I liked the gun's ergos and price, but just had too much trouble to keep it.

kahuna
January 31, 2006, 05:28 PM
on the PT145MP forecast. My PT145 woes were detailed here on THR. From day one it had feed problems with both magazines, with different brands of ammunition, and FMJ round nose ammo. It also had light strikes, again on different types of ammunition. The final straw - I was going to send it to Taurus up until this point - was a spontaneous disassembly. Shot #2 I think, of a magazine the magazine, and catch assembly fell right out of the gun.

Every mfgr. puts out some bad examples, and I obviously had one such PT145, since quite a few posters here have a few trouble free rounds through theirs... I liked the gun's ergos and price, but just had too much trouble to keep it.

Smurf,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Of course once you have a bad one, it's hard to have faith again. Have you contacted the Taurus customer service directly? From what I've heard, their CS is pretty good and would do anything to make things right. Not sure how true that is, since I have not used them personally. I have had my PT145MP now for about five months and ran over 1000 rounds through it without any issues. And, I only used reloaded ammo from gun shows. A caviat here, is that I have been cleaning it religiously after my IDPA matches. This is also my CCW, so I try to keep it clean. Not sure if that helped eliminated less problems. Just don't know for sure.

Let us know what other .45 you end up with. I'm going to be in the market for another one real soon. I'm thinking about a 1911.

Good Luck,
Da Kahuna

Marshall
February 1, 2006, 01:31 PM
Who has a pic of a Mil Pro with a rail?

HighVelocity
February 1, 2006, 02:51 PM
Who has a pic of a Mil Pro with a rail?

I posted one on the previous page.

Marshall
February 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
I posted one on the previous page.

HV, is that a Pro? Do they still offer them with a rail? I don't see it on their site?

gt3944
February 2, 2006, 05:11 PM
Love my Pt145, it took the place of my ruger p95 and its an awesome piece, I also highly recommend it...:D

HighVelocity
February 2, 2006, 05:21 PM
HV, is that a Pro? Do they still offer them with a rail? I don't see it on their site?

Yep, Mil Pro with rail. It's got to be on their site somewhere. The gun was made in 2005.

torpid
February 2, 2006, 06:37 PM
They haven't updated their site, but I think all recent manufactue Mil Pros now have the rail as standard. (Mine did.)

Pilot
February 2, 2006, 08:43 PM
I bought a PT145 Mil Pro a few weeks ago. LOVE IT!

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT145 Mil Pro vs other Polly pocket 45's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!