which .22

PDA

Pheonix
April 2, 2003, 10:26 AM
I always said that I would never get a .22, I really like feeling the recoil. Now it is starting to look like it makes sense. I have a .308, 9mm's, 12 guage and plan to get a 10mm and an AR-15 type within the next year. I like the thought of having a round that is not as deadly at a long range (3 miles through the woods) and REALLY cheep to shoot. I would like an autoloader with detachable mag's, good adjustable iron sights, lightweight, and in the $100-150 price range. Synthetic stock is fine. What do you recommend? If i start researching now, maybe by July I can tell my wife what I want for my birthday!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "which .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 2, 2003, 10:50 AM
Ruger 10/22

foghornl
April 2, 2003, 11:06 AM
Echo O-BG. Some of the Ruger 10/22 models are frequently "on sale" for as low as $129 in this area. If you don't mind the tubular magazine under the barrel, instead of the box mag, I have seen the Marlin Model 60 as low as $79 from time to time, and sometimes bundeled with a low-cost scope.

I haven't looked at Remington's or Winchesters offerings lately, so I don't know what their pricing structure is right now.

Tropical Z
April 2, 2003, 11:21 AM
Get a Remington 597 or march down to your local Wal-Mart and see what Savage they have in stock for $99.00! Model may vary but it will probably be a synthetic stock 64F.Dont buy a 10/22 without shooting it.I cant stand em.

cratz2
April 2, 2003, 11:27 AM
I've had mostly very positive experience with 10/22s. I've had a couple of 'em but always end up selling them to someone that wants a 22 rifle.

I also like the Remington 597. They have a stock more suit to a grown up adult. I've seen the standard weight with synthetic stock for $99 at gunshows very slightly used.

That's probably what I'd go for. Except... if you're planning on getting a 10mm and an AR15 this year, why not put off one of those purchases a month or two and get a really nice 22? You'll probably find that you'll shoot 100 times as much 22 as you will 10mm so make it a nice one. Around here, the CZ American and Varmint models go for $310-$330 depending on if you want the sporter weight or heavy weight barrel. Excellent little rifles... accurate, full size and beautiful to boot!

Warner
April 2, 2003, 11:40 AM
You probably won't regret getting a "nicer" .22; a full sized one, intended for an adult and spending a wee bit more. A gun like that should easily last several lifetimes and be a real hoot to shoot.

I fully agree about trying a 10/22 first, but I do have a few of 'em.

Choose the new .22's action type to suit your shooting style and preferrences (target, plinking etc.).

VictorLouis
April 2, 2003, 01:04 PM
I can't stand the buckhorn style of sights found on so many guns. I much prefer the notch-and-post type than you can find on many manual-repeaters or bolts. That said, I've installed a Williams aperture on my 10/22, and it's made a big difference. I'm with a few others here, though, in that I can't warm-up to the Ruger as many have(I won't sell this one, as it was a gift.). I'd suggest you check the 597 Remington in your budget. Also, you may be favorably impressed with Marlin's 795. That's my choice of the 3.:cool:

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 2, 2003, 01:26 PM
The Remington 552 has good adjustable sights----too bad the comb on the stock is too high to actually use them----unless you get a pre-91 or 92 model with the proper shaped stock.

ruger357
April 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
Ruger 10/22.

If you enjoyed reading about "which .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!