Tell us about your .223 NEF single shot.

PDA

Tropical Z
April 2, 2003, 10:29 AM
Im thinking of getting one just for fun.Are they reasonably accurate? Are they picky about ammo?
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell us about your .223 NEF single shot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
priv8ter
April 2, 2003, 10:35 AM
Well, it's not mine, but a buddy of mine has one in .223, and he loves it. I tried it at the range and was very impressed. Fairly short and deffinetatly handy, it was a tack-driver using milsurp ball ammo.

Can't tell you actual group sizes, but it will probably be as accurate as you need it to be, and as fun as a new kitten.

cratz2
April 2, 2003, 10:55 AM
I had a heavy barrel model with a $100 Simmons scope. I didn't shoot many groups with it but but kept 10 rounds in 4" at 175 yards. I'm sure the rifle could have done better with a better shooter too.

I shot 40 Gr VMaxes, and various 50, 55 and 62 Gr ammo and all seemed about equally accurate, again, not shooting groups so it's pretty hard to tell.

The biggest drawback is the trigger. H&R would tune the trigger down if you send them the rifle and Im told that Marlin still does the same. Can't confirm that though.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1125a.jpg

Sleeping Dog
April 2, 2003, 12:37 PM
I don't have one, but I've heard the rifling is a 1:12" twist rate. If so, it'll shoot best with light (short) bullets, 35gr to 55gr, maybe 60gr.

Regards.

Selfdfenz
April 2, 2003, 01:59 PM
I have one in 223. Great rifle. Very accuarte. Trigger sucks.
Also have one in 22 Hornet. Ditto the above.
And I have one barrel in 45-70 that I swap out on the 223 when I want to have the living ---- kicked out of me by one of my reloads.
Also surprisingly accurate.

Extra barrels (other calibers) from the manufacture are about 70 or 80 bucks IIRC.

S-

Smoke
April 2, 2003, 04:16 PM
I have the 45/70 as mentioned above. I'll echo similar comments: Trigger sucks, surprisingly accurate. Good value for the $$$

s&w 24
April 2, 2003, 07:33 PM
the one I had was a great shooter. I had trouble with norinco and IMI 5.56 ammo but hand loads and winchester worked good.
the problem I had with norinco was sticky axtraction and poor accuracy. The IMI shot well but again sticky extraction.

rick melear
April 2, 2003, 07:57 PM
I bought a youth model in .223 for my son a year ago. Sent it back in august to have a .243 barrel fitted. At the same time i had them lighten the trigger to 3.5 pounds, very accurate with either barrel. My 13 year-old took his first two whitetails with it this year. There was a $15 charge for the trigger work, well worth it.

goon
April 2, 2003, 08:59 PM
I bought my dad one a few years ago.
He likes it because it doesn't hammer his shoulders like his old '99 Savage (He has degenerative arthritis).
He likes it, but I think that the trigger is too damn heavy.

cratz2
April 2, 2003, 11:31 PM
Now that I think about it, I did have maybe 1 in 40 or so that would not extract on their own. But a easy little nudge with a cleaning rod and the case went flying out.

Didn't bother me enough to send it back but it wasn't my only rifle. I traded it to a dealer on gunbroker and he said he'd seen the problem before and said he could take care of it.

dude
April 2, 2003, 11:52 PM
HA!!!!!

........if you think the .223 is fun, wait til you try the .17HMR!

Having owned a H&R .223 bull-barrel for target shooting I can say it was plenty fun. But I now have the .17 and use it pretty much to the same ranges (out to 250-ish yards) and it is more than twice as accurate. Same weight, round speed and feel with no kick at all. You can watch the target vaproize (charcoal briquets are the current target of choice) in a black 'puff' through the scope..........sort of like a viedo game!

Ikari
April 3, 2003, 03:37 AM
I'm thinking of getting one too. Was trying to decide between .223 and .243, but I've started to lean towards the .223 for cost of ammo and lower recoil. The .45-70 barrel sounds like fun, though...

xtarheel
April 3, 2003, 08:01 AM
I think it's one of the best deals going. I bought mine in .243 and sent it back to hace a .22 Hornet barrel fitted and the trigger slicked up and reduced to 3.5 lbs. Shoots a lot better than any rifle in this price range has a right to!

Tropical Z
April 3, 2003, 11:27 AM
I remember some rule about what barrels can be changed out for what calibers.I better see if i can find that.I dont currently own a .223 but want an inexpensive one just to have.Thanx

Chainsaw
April 3, 2003, 11:53 AM
TZ, Try this website for further info plus links at the top for the barrel offer.
www.hr1871.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

It has been said that polishing the chamber of the H&R/NEF will aid in extraction problems, but it didn't completely cure the .308 and 30-06 that I once owned. I do have two 30-30's that have NEVER had a problem, but they have a half moon type extractor that grips the rim of the 30-30 case and appears to be a great idea. The 22 Hornet 357-44 mag and 45-70 all have a similiar extractor that grip the rim of the case.

JBP
April 3, 2003, 04:43 PM
For the price you can not beat them. I have one with a heavy barrel .223 and another one with a standard barrel .243. Stay with 55gr and below in the .223. The .243 prefers 100 gr to lighter loads. I don't find the trigger pull to be heavy but then again I'm used to my T/C Contender.

Dr.Rob
April 3, 2003, 05:46 PM
A neat value in the varmint shooting category. Some drawbacks: handloaded ammo and milsurp didn't get us any accuracy, whereas federal premium gave us 1/2 and 3/4 inch groups. The triggers can be twitchy and I've seen a hammer spring fail. Still cheaper than many full set ups.

Shalako
April 3, 2003, 06:50 PM
I have been thinking about one of these for a couple weeks now. The link Chainsaw posted is a great forum for learning all the tips and tricks for tuning up a NEF/H&R. There is a guy there who has a great website for do-it-yourself trigger jobs for your NEF/H&R (http://www.perkloafm.com). I can't stop thinking that I might even be able to scrounge up the money for one these little devils. Man, I think I need one.

:D

Selfdfenz
April 4, 2003, 11:38 PM
I know an excellent link when I see one and the one you posted is excellent.
Very useful information and excellent pictures.
Thank you very much.
S-

Bainx
April 5, 2003, 06:13 PM
A friend at work has one of the NEF rifles in .223 and so help me, it shoots more accurate than his Bushmaster!

Now, the smoldering coals have been re-ignited to get one of these.

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell us about your .223 NEF single shot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!