Do y'all like the Kahr MK9 as much as I do?

PDA

22luvr
April 2, 2003, 10:59 AM
No, I'm not a proud owner but everytime I fondle one of these little jewels, I get the hots to own one. It's like Kahr engineers dropped by my house, took a a casting of my hand, and built the gun to fit me personally. It feels that good.

I field-stripped this thing and it's sorta the "Ruger SP101" of autoloaders......it's beefy and built like a bank vault.......and just about as heavy. THAT's the drawback: weight! Man, that little sucker is heavy!

I've also compared triggers on the MK9 and PM9 and find the PM9's trigger stiffer and not as smooth as the MK9. The MK9's is buttery smooth and easy- the best I've experienced in a small DA only autoloader.

You who own one - how do you carry? IWB? Belt Holster? Pocket-holster? I've put some heavy guns in my pocket (Taurus model 605 at 24 oz empty) If I thought I could lug this fishing sinker for 8-10 hours a day in a quality holster without wrecking my trousers, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow. Yep, I'm pretty-much a die-hard pocket carrier.

Go ahead, talk me into it. Your comments are certainly welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do y'all like the Kahr MK9 as much as I do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeJ
April 2, 2003, 11:27 AM
I agree that the MK9 is one of the most appealing little pistols out there. I don't own one either but every time I pick one up it seems to fit and balance perfectly. My issue is that I know it is too big for pocket carry, at least for me, and I can't find another use for it but they sure are nice.

M1911
April 2, 2003, 12:43 PM
Mikej: If you can fit a J-frame in your pocket, you can fit an MK9 in your pocket. The MK9 is a heavy little bugger, but not that big. It is much easier for me to shoot accurately than my S&W 642. Nice gun. And yes, I do carry it in my pocket.

22luvr
April 2, 2003, 12:52 PM
Hello M1911: What holster do you carry your MK9 in? It has to make a difference in daily comfort.

Son of Liberty
April 2, 2003, 01:44 PM
I have a small hand...you mention its little but weighs a lot...How would you characterize the size of the grip...thats the key for little me.....Thanks

Remember the Sons of Liberty!

22luvr
April 2, 2003, 02:31 PM
I'm on the larger side of hands/fingers and the gun fits me like a glove. It is a single stack grip so is quite a bit narrower than a Glock or KelTec P11. Check one out; I'll bet you'll feel the same way if you handle one.

Have you checked out the Kel-Tec P32?
That one is ideal for small hands and is probably the most popular pocket pistol on the market today.

If you would consider a small revolver, I'll almost guarantee a Smith and Wesson J-frame snubby will fit your hands.

Son of Liberty
April 2, 2003, 02:38 PM
Got the J frame and one Keltec p32 in the family...Will check it out. Do you know if the trigger can be redone for a shorter pull in case the grip is still a little big? Im talkin small hand....Thx

M1911
April 2, 2003, 02:51 PM
Son of Liberty: Just like my 642 J-frame, the MK9 grip is only big enough for me to fit my middle and ring fingers on the grip. On both guns, my pinky wraps underneath the base of the grip. And it is not a problem with either gun.

22luvr: I carry the MK9 in a pocket holster from Rusty Sherrick. The main issue for me is the weight of the gun. I'm currently suffering from Dunlop disease, so the extra weight helps to cause my pants to droop. If I'm carrying something in a belt holster, I can carry something significantly larger.

Handy
April 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
A very nicely engineered gun. But the trigger pull is too light for anything but holster carry.

Sold it.

M1911
April 2, 2003, 04:10 PM
But the trigger pull is too light for anything but holster carry.That's why I use a pocket holster, just like I do for a J-frame.

hd1.
April 2, 2003, 04:21 PM
I have the MK9 Elite98. Carry it all the time. It fits in the back pocket of denims in an Uncle Mike's.
When riding the motorcycle, it goes in a Coronado carry leather vest.
I considered the MK40, but after shooting one I settled on the 9. I want a gun that my wife wouldn't be intimidated by, in the event she needed to use it.

charlesb_la
April 2, 2003, 04:54 PM
I have an MK40 and love it. It's built like a tank and reliable as can be. The little bit of extra weight helps keep the .40 easy to shoot. I love it. I carry IWB in a Comp-tac CTAC. It's tuckable and makes the little Kahr dissapear and is comfortable for all day wear.

concerned citizen
April 2, 2003, 05:17 PM
I like my little kahr mk-9.

Its a sweet shooter, super accurate and reliable.
It aint a lite weight though. I use a thick gun belt and when carried in heavy denim pants (jeans) the weight is not an issue, with thinner pants he can get cumberson, but you have to comprimise a bit for the punch and shootabilty you get.

I've been mostly pocket carring a colt pocket nine, weights about 6oz less and works in all my pants.

For an auto the best pocket holster I have found is the new fist polimer push off, it works great and keeps the auto from riding tight against you thigh.

Greybeard
April 2, 2003, 10:10 PM
MK9 weight was at least a perceived problem for me. (But I've got spoiled by the ultralight j-frames.)

Just got in a new PM9 yesterday. Only time for a quick 100+ rounds thru it so far. Possible replacement for 340PD "always" gun for the last couple of years.

I rarely carry in pocket, so not much feedback there. Mostly on ankle (with lace-up boots) or IWB, often with draw-string shorts. Late today, the big brown truck delivered Bianchi Pro 100 (IWB) for the PM9. :) Time will tell.

Erik Jensen
April 2, 2003, 10:13 PM
I've got the MK40. I'm still waiting for "the call" from the County Clerks office to pick up my CCW, so the only experience I have carrying it is around the house. I've been carrying it IWB in a Desantis Stealth. it's a cheapie holster, but after a few minutes, I don't even notice the pistol. I've tried pocket carrying it, but it prints a bit much in jeans. it's not so bad in my work pants, though. the heft of it makes the rather stout .40 round managable. though it does get to be a bit of a bear after 100+ rounds. pretty accurate though, once you get used to the short sight radius.

http://www.armyofjuan.us/photos/KahrRight.jpg

Zundfolge
April 2, 2003, 11:37 PM
Ah yes, Beretta92F ... an MK40 and a fist full of Gold Dots :)

My MK40 Elite 98 is my constant companion. I'd say its about the perfect CCW gun.

Some complain about the weight, but unless you're used to carrying a P32 I don't think it'll cause you any problems.

I used to carry mine in an Action Direct Defender (belly band) but recently got an Alessi Talon Plus. With either holster the gun melted to nothing in my pants (that sounds odd) ... anyway, with both holsters I've found myself almost forgetting its there (once or twice I've had that "OMG my gun fell out!" feeling, only to reach back and find its still there).

What are you waiting for 22luvr? Go get you one!

Ya know ya wanna. :evil:

tomkatz
April 3, 2003, 03:27 AM
son of liberty....don't worry about these guns having too much trigger reach, massad ayoob actually has his trigger built up a bit to fit his big hands. I just traded for a mk9 and I think it is a great little gun, my hands are kind of large and it feels fine to me. Jeff 22luvr go get one of these you won't be sorry!....tom :cool: :cool:

WonderNine
April 3, 2003, 04:50 AM
I field-stripped this thing and it's sorta the "Ruger SP101" of autoloaders......it's beefy and built like a bank vault.......and just about as heavy. THAT's the drawback: weight! Man, that little sucker is heavy!

I've also compared triggers on the MK9 and PM9 and find the PM9's trigger stiffer and not as smooth as the MK9. The MK9's is buttery smooth and easy- the best I've experienced in a small DA only autoloader.

You who own one - how do you carry? IWB? Belt Holster? Pocket-holster? I've put some heavy guns in my pocket (Taurus model 605 at 24 oz empty) If I thought I could lug this fishing sinker for 8-10 hours a day in a quality holster without wrecking my trousers, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow. Yep, I'm pretty-much a die-hard pocket carrier.

Go ahead, talk me into it. Your comments are certainly welcome.

I carry a Cop .357 four barreled derringer in an Uncle Mike's front pocket holster daily for the past year in blue jeans without a second look from anyone. 28 ounces unloaded. I carry it loaded of course :rolleyes:

I've been looking at the MK9 (not the PM9 anymore because of the frame problems *I can't believe I actually considered a plastic gun for carry*) as a "lightweight" gun and higher capacity gun. Also easier to reload, but without the reliability that the Cop has.

If Kahr made one out of blued carbon steel (lighter) as opposed to stainless, I'd be looking at that instead.

Polymer carrry gun? :barf:

WonderNine
April 3, 2003, 05:00 AM
http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/Kahr/KahrFrame1s.jpg

22luvr
April 3, 2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the excellent close-ups of the PM9 trigger axis pin. That is somewhat disappointing that Kahr decided on such a mickey-mouse fix of the trigger axis pin backing out. Yuck. Other than that, the PM9 is mighty appealing.

Yes, I am thoroughly spoiled in that I have carried around a P32 for the past 3 years so just about EVERYTHING feels heavy in my pocket. Now, I have to figure out how to "un-spoil" myself!

I've seen a couple of creampuff used MK9's in the area for less than $400.......not bad and I don't think much damage could be done to an MK9 anyway...........

Thanks for your responses; (I want it, I want it not, I want it, I want it not, I want it, etc, etc)

harrydog
April 3, 2003, 07:28 AM
If the K9 didn't exist I'd probably own an MK9.
The K9 fits my hand better and is more controllable and comfortable to shoot. I don't pocket carry anyway and the K9 is just as concealable as the MK9 with a good IWB holster. I use an Alessi WSDT.

mini14jac
April 3, 2003, 08:10 AM
Ditto on all the good things said about the MK9.
Fit like a glove, amazingly smooth trigger, feeds anything, more accurate than I am.
Had one for over a year.

When I could wear a cover garment, I tucked it in a Uncle Mike's IWB, and forgot about it.
Too heavy for me to pocket carry, and that method works best for me, so I traded it for a PM9.
I have all the same great things to say about my PM9, and it doesn't have the weird trigger pin blemish.

I wish I still had my MK, though.
I had just put night sights on it before I found the PM9. :(

I went to visit it at my dealer the other day.
I think they had $450 on it, and the tag didn't say "night sights".
I pointed this out to the guy behind the counter.
He looked at the gun, grunted, and put it back under the counter.
Oh well. Somebody is going to get a sweet deal when they buy that gun! :D

M1911
April 3, 2003, 09:18 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend an MK9 for IWB carry. My reason for that is that if you are going to carry IWB, you can easily carry a larger gun (e.g., K9 or even larger).

WonderNine
April 3, 2003, 06:20 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend an MK9 for IWB carry. My reason for that is that if you are going to carry IWB, you can easily carry a larger gun (e.g., K9 or even larger).

I agree. For IWB carry you might as well go with a full sized 1911 or Hi-Power. I've never been a fan or understood the rational behind "compact" models. I want them either full sized or really small. :D

Ivansrm
April 3, 2003, 06:53 PM
I just picked up a new Mk9 Satinless tonigt from the gun store. I can't believe how smooth the trigger pull is. I can't wait to shoot this thing :D

mini14jac
April 4, 2003, 08:14 AM
The MK or PM 9s work well for me for IWB carry.
Similar to a .38 snub.
If you spend a lot of time sitting, the shorter barrel is more comfortable.
If you have let your six-pack turn into a twelve-pack, the overhanging "muscle" is more comfortable on on a shorter grip.
YMMV, and to each his own.

bad_dad_brad
April 4, 2003, 09:24 PM
I have an older MK9 and really like it. Ditto most of the comments. I carried mine in pocket. Docker type pants. Uncle Mike #2 holster. I had to slightly modify the holster a bit (had to cut it to accomodate the trigger guard.)

It is a heavy "little gun" and sometimes I had to put my hand in my pocket to keep it from bruising my leg when briskly walking.

Since I got my feather weight P32, I don't carry the MK9 much anymore.

denfoote
April 4, 2003, 09:47 PM
My MK9 Elite is my designated "mousegun". Yeah, I can carry the honk'in large guns, But that gets old sometimes. Especially when I'm in a social situation where others would disapprove of my being armed!!. I still carry it IWB, because I don't like tying up one of my pockets. I have more stuff than can be fit into just one!! ;)

The MK has the smoothest trigger I have felt. Even smoother than my KP95DC!!! :eek:

HadEmAll
April 4, 2003, 10:41 PM
Sounds like I'm one of the few who like the full-size Kahrs. I got my K40 before the smaller ones started rolling out. I still consider it small, and it's never had 1 problem functionally. I like the weight. It doesn't matter as I carry it IWB. But I have carried it in my boot for several hours at a time with no problem. Wonderful trigger. Great carry piece.

WonderNine
April 5, 2003, 04:07 AM
The MK has the smoothest trigger I have felt. Even smoother than my KP95DC!!!

I'm surprised to hear all the comments in this thread about how smooth the trigger of the MK9 is as I was always under the impression that the PM9 (polymer model) was the one that came with the vaunted short "Elite Trigger". I even thought I read a comment here about the PM9 trigger "sucking"? I'm too lazy to go back and look, I'm awful drunk right now.

stretcharmstrong
April 6, 2003, 04:01 AM
I have an MK9 Elite 98 and it is a very smooth LDA trigger. It's very accurate as well, with practice. The weight makes it a little difficult for pocket carry. I may end up selling it to get a PM9 and get a single stack compact size for IWB...possibly the Kahr T9 or Sig P239 along w/a couple others I am considering. The MK9 is a real shooter though and it would be hard for me to sell it. I have put more than 200 rnds in a single range session a couple times now without discomfort. The thing is just plain fun to shoot.

WonderNine
April 6, 2003, 05:19 AM
I'm gonna save my pennies for a Rohrbaugh 9mm rather than a PM9 if they are that good.

I know the $1,000 price tag will scare off most people, but hey, I'm not most people :cool: Even though I am a poor boy :uhoh:

harrydog
April 6, 2003, 11:46 AM
The Rohrbaugh 9mm sounds good but if their goal was to create the ultimate carry gun, they should have used titanium rather than 7075 aluminum. There is no comparison in terms of durability/longevity. They went with a better stainless steel (17-4) than the usual 416, so why use aluminum for the frame?

Jeff OTMG
April 6, 2003, 01:46 PM
I have an MK9 and it is a super little pistol, though it is heavy. I got it primarily for ankle carry in an Alessi ankle holster. I have also carried it in a pocket holster. I liked it so much that I bought a P9 Covert for pocket carry, much lighter than the MK9 and cheaper than the 'first on the block' price being asked for the PM9.

M1911
April 6, 2003, 07:57 PM
I'm surprised to hear all the comments in this thread about how smooth the trigger of the MK9 is as I was always under the impression that the PM9 (polymer model) was the one that came with the vaunted short "Elite Trigger". I even thought I read a comment here about the PM9 trigger "sucking"? I'm too lazy to go back and lookMy MK9 is a stainless elite model. The trigger is quite good in my opinion. Think of it as the lightest, smoothest double-action revolver trigger that you've ever felt. That's true for my MK9 and for my other 2 Kahrs.

There are folks who don't like them. The Kahr trigger is relatively long and also has a relatively long reset (compared to a Glock).

If you enjoyed reading about "Do y'all like the Kahr MK9 as much as I do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!