arcus...is it a good gun?

PDA

mephisto
April 2, 2003, 12:53 PM
Any news or rewiews on the arcus pistols would be great. I found a good price on mod 94 for 228. thanks.

mephesto:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "arcus...is it a good gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shweboner
April 2, 2003, 02:27 PM
Its another BHP copy, while not an exact copy most parts and magazines are compatible. The slide is also a bit different.

I have heard it called the best of all the BHP knock-offs. Im waiting for my FFL before I buy anymore guns, but the Arcus is in the top ten. I personally have not handled one... but have been checking them out for over a year. But I say get one. Grab some hicaps and you have yourself one hell of a blaster specially for $230, cant go wrong.

~Brain

cratz2
April 2, 2003, 03:42 PM
I read Duane Thomas's glowing review :rolleyes: in 96 or 97 and was going to the gunshop to pick one up when I bought my first CZ75. Or EAA Witness, I guess.

I've probably handled about 10 of them by now but still haven't bought one yet. It seems like a solid gun. Made in Bulgaria IIRC so quality should be on par with their Maks I'd imagine. Saw one at this weekends shot but it was around $290. I've seen them for $230. If they accept Hi Power mags, I have two standard/full/hi cap magazines already.

I'll still get one someday. ;)

mephisto
April 2, 2003, 05:09 PM
cratz

you have more guns than most gun shops.:what:

citizen
April 2, 2003, 07:22 PM
Looked into them 'bout ayear ago; decided I liked the compact.

Got so excited, I called the plant in Bulgaria at $7 a minute (:what: ). Followed up with some e-mails; and learned their export license prohibited shipping spare mags, etc.
Their ONLY licensed imported is Century; and they're bringing in ONLY the 2-tone version of full and compact models.:(

Decided a no-go based on that.:cuss:

But still, nice guns.;)

railroader
April 3, 2003, 12:31 AM
I had an arcus awhile back. It was a good gun. Hipower mags and internals seemed to fit. I put an FN extractor and a Inglis hammer and sear in it. They all dropped right in. Finding good holsters might be a problem because of the square slide and trigger guard. Mark

cratz2
April 3, 2003, 12:41 AM
you have more guns than most gun shops.

Well, maybe more 1911s than most gun shops that cater more to the Glock/SIG/Beretta groups. ;)

JohnKSa
April 3, 2003, 01:29 AM
There are now some DA Arcus models on the market. I'm pretty sure the BHP mags don't fit those, only the original SA pistols.

Mylhouse
April 3, 2003, 02:20 AM
I had a full-size two-tone model. It had a very smooth action, and the trigger was quite usable once I took out the mag disconnector thingy.

It was pretty reliable, failing only twice in 500 rounds (which were failure to feed). I sold it simply because it wouldn't group to my satisfaction at 25 yards. I think the best it would do was about 3 1/2" @ 25 yards, hands rested on the bench.

cratz2
April 3, 2003, 12:38 PM
I think the best it would do was about 3 1/2" @ 25 yards, hands rested on the bench.

I don't mean this as a flame at all, but what sub $250 brand new semi auto pistols can you
recommend that groups better than 3.5" at 25 yards? :confused:

Tropical Z
April 3, 2003, 12:44 PM
Theyr'e made the old fashioned way (forged and milled).I meant to get one the last time Aim had them but waited too long.They are sweet looking.Ive heard that a lot of them have extraction problems ( a friends did) but that swapping out the extractor solves the problem.

Mylhouse
April 3, 2003, 03:19 PM
I don't mean this as a flame at all, but what sub $250 brand new semi auto pistols can you

You have a point there, cratz2. :o

1) I simply don't have any interest in handguns that aren't accurate, no matter what the price is. I guess I wanted my "free lunch" when I bought the Arcus.

2) For <$100 more, my CZ75B will do 1.5-1.75" @ 25 yards with my handloads, a little over 2" with Winchester white box.

Most people won't realize the accuracy potential of even the Arcus, anyway, so in light of that, the Arcus is a great buy if you can still find them for $250!

railroader
April 3, 2003, 08:17 PM
Since we are on hipowers right now CDNN's last catalog had new FM hipowers either fullsize or detectives for $270 with a 17 round mag., As for accuracy I've had two FM's and an Arcus and they shot decent groups but not great. I'm like Mylhouse I also have a cz75b which is really accurate but I like the grip better on hipowers. Mark

PCRCCW
April 5, 2003, 11:00 AM
Out of the FM (ARG), FN, FEG, Arcus etc...Ive shot....Id take an Arcus over the FM Arg. contract guns anyday......very poor examples of a good gun. Shoot well

cratz2
April 5, 2003, 09:56 PM
Actually, I really want to get an Arcus. Think I'm going to the next couple shows and if I can get one for $250, I'm going to. :D

Gerald McDonald
April 5, 2003, 10:55 PM
I had one and while mine didnt start out very reliable, after sending it to Kurt Wickmann it came back a great +P shooter. I didnt like mine all that much but Wickmann had a lot of praises for it. Said it was tough and would stand up to hot loads very well but was kind of ugly and the sights on mine were a little too low.
Gerald

If you enjoyed reading about "arcus...is it a good gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!