Which has been the most unpleasant handgun you have shot ?

PDA

Scott13
January 2, 2003, 02:31 AM
For me personally it was the 45/70 Goverment , Thompson contender . I was with some friends a few years ago and shot a few rounds of 400 grain handloads . that was enough for me :D
And one of the guys with me shot some 500 grain loads , and the gun must have turned in his hand because his thumb was cut open . And he later told me his bone in his hand hurt for a few months . Also just curious has anyone shot the 480 Ruger and if so how is it compared to the 44 mag or 454 ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which has been the most unpleasant handgun you have shot ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tomkatz
January 2, 2003, 03:01 AM
S&W 340 scandium with full power 357:cuss: it belongs to a friend....tom

faustulus
January 2, 2003, 03:32 AM
any glock :evil:

Hkmp5sd
January 2, 2003, 03:42 AM
Cobray/FMJ Model DD .410/.45LC Double Barrel (SxS) Derringer.

Very small grip, very big recoil.

sm
January 2, 2003, 03:57 AM
.480 Ruger, fine, have shot 44 mag stout loads that felt worse,grip really didn't fit me tho on the later.

20 yrs ago (?) shot some .380 and can't recall what it was, but due to being sharp and the fit...bit me and hurt like the dickens.

I could at least shoot a whole cyl of 357 out of a light alloy revo and not get bit...

Schuey2002
January 2, 2003, 04:22 AM
.44 magnum out of a Ruger Redhawk with a 5 1/2 in. barrel..

It wasn't that bad,recoil wise. It just happens to be the only "big bore" that I've had a chance to shoot. :o

I'd love to try a .500 Linebaugh... :D

sm
January 2, 2003, 04:48 AM
You've been reading my sig line too long:D

ThePerfectOne
January 2, 2003, 04:54 AM
a .38 special wadcutter really sucks to shoot, because of the total lack of power and recoil :D
the most uncomfortable handgun I have ever shot, was ... a browning hi-power :what: yes, it was a military one, made in 1953. the grip was too small, there was a lanyard ring on the left side of the grip, which made it very difficult to shoot since I'm left-handed. also sights weren't what they were supposed to be.
just my opinion tough, and I've only shot 7 handguns in my life, but than again, I'm only 19 :D
glock 17 3rd gen was the best to shoot, that trigger feels soooo good. realy, I'm serious, I like the short and consistent trigger pull.

stans
January 2, 2003, 08:00 AM
My worst experience was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk, 4 5/8 inch barrel, Remington 210 grain JHP load. After five shots the web between my thumb and forefinger was bleeding. This was my first experience with 44 Magnum and it took me a while to muster the courage to try some different 44's.

PCRCCW
January 2, 2003, 08:11 AM
BFR Maxine 45-70 Govt s/a revolver....He didnt tell me they were 425 gr HOT RELOADS......:cuss:
Shoot well

Kahr carrier
January 2, 2003, 08:41 AM
Freedom Arms 454 cassull.OUCH.:uhoh:

Shmackey
January 2, 2003, 09:39 AM
Little baby scandium J-frame w/ .357s.

TooTaxed
January 2, 2003, 09:48 AM
early S&W .44 Mag revolver. Shot one cylinder load, and peeled my fingers from the grip to find a bunch of blood blisters in my hand...
On the other hand, I LOVE my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt!

Stoney
January 2, 2003, 09:49 AM
S&W model 29. After 500 rounds I traded it for a sig p-220.

No regrets.

dev_null
January 2, 2003, 09:51 AM
1. Taurus UL85 with +Ps and the stock rubber grips -- tore the skin off my thumb in less than a dozen rounds.

2. Glunk -- don't remember the model. Nevermind how futt buggly it is, I absofreakinlutely hated the trigger.

Can I say that? (Thinking back to the word filter thread.)

-0-

Neal Bloom
January 2, 2003, 09:54 AM
44 Mag SuperBlack Hawk. The first few times I shot it that Dragoon trigger guard really did a number on my fingers.

Tamara
January 2, 2003, 10:06 AM
My Nagant revolver will give you forearm cramps in half a cylinder, the trigger pull is so heavy. At least it's wildly inaccurate, though. ;)

BigG
January 2, 2003, 10:10 AM
Small meatgrinders cum pocket automatics like the Walther PPK with their propensity to eat human flesh. :eek:

Nanook
January 2, 2003, 10:11 AM
No contest: T/C contender, 10" barrel, in .44 Mag. If felt like a grenade going off in my hand. I bought a box of ammo, shot about 10 rounds, and never took it back home. I traded it that instant for an SKS and never looked back.

HSMITH
January 2, 2003, 10:16 AM
4" S&W Mountain Gun in 44 mag with some 325 grain idiot loads. That was brutal. The front sight pin broke and the sight flew off never to be found after less than 20 rounds of that crap were shot. I only shot one cylinder.

A 45-70 contender loaded hot is nearly as bad. A 4 5/8" blackhawk in 44mag with a stipled front and backstrap (the guy was an idiot, what can I say) is really bad too.

10-Ring
January 2, 2003, 10:44 AM
Usually, the first gun that comes to mind when a discussion of "the worst, most unpleasant" handgun, my mind goes straight to a POS AMT 380 backup. :cuss:

Diesle
January 2, 2003, 10:49 AM
SRH in .454 could be considered unpleasant I guess.. Or pleasent... depending on how 'agressive' your feeling.... :evil:

Diesle

foghornl
January 2, 2003, 10:58 AM
I never was quite brassy enough to try it, but a shooting buddy of mine bought one of those 2-shot over/under derringers in 357Mag. Last time I asked, he still had 49/50 of the original box of 158-Gr Rem SJHP (Bought in 1992, as I recall). As to why he still had 98% of the original ammo, he muttered something about ".....A tiny fraction more 'kick' than I expected....."

:eek: :eek:

MacPelto
January 2, 2003, 11:03 AM
Kel-Tec P40. Could just barely hang on to it, beat up my hand from round one.

mjustice
January 2, 2003, 11:05 AM
Any Glock.

The grip angle and trigger setup just did not "click" for me. I would imagine that the Springfield XD series would have a similar feel.

MJ

glockten
January 2, 2003, 11:44 AM
T/C Contender .30/30.

Irwindale Javelina 10mm; chronic hammer bite.

farscott
January 2, 2003, 12:01 PM
T/C Encore with 10" .454 Casull barrel using Freedom Arms 260-grain factory ammo. The recoil happened so fast it was amazing. No push or shove; just a solid slam to the palm and arm.

Mike Irwin
January 2, 2003, 12:03 PM
One of those assnine little .44 Mag. 2 shot deringers.

The first shot actually dislocated my thumb.

I never did touch off the second shot.

A close second is Moderator Mal's little .380 NAA(?).

Talk about unpleasant!

dairycreek
January 2, 2003, 12:09 PM
In 38/357:fire: Bought it NIB cause it was really pretty. Fired a .357 load in it once. Fired two 38 specials. Sold it next day! Despite its good looks it was, witout doubt, the most unpleasant handgun experience I ever had. Good shooting:)

PATH
January 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
.50 Desert Eagle and a close second would be the .454 Casul

Cal4D4
January 2, 2003, 12:19 PM
My vote goes to the American Derringer Corp 2 shot derringer in .44M. Little rounded grip is alot like catching a ball pein hammer in mid swing. Hottest shot were Federal 240 grainers. Not bad with shot loads or gallery loads. Sights are crude, could use a scope mount or or something. Kids thought the whole scene was pretty funny.

Gewehr98
January 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
Thompson Contender in .45/70, non-ported barrel. That trigger guard is designed to remove knuckles.

.50 AE Desert Eagle comes in second. A hoot, but you'd better hold on for the ride. Makes my .357 Desert Eagle seem like a rimfire in comparison.

2" S&W Model 29, firing 240gr Flying Ashtray .44 Magnum handloads. The owner was trying to sell me the gun. One cylinder full of that stuff convinced me I didn't want the gun.

JB3rd
January 2, 2003, 02:07 PM
Desert Eagle in ....50 AE w/ 325 gr. full house hand loads...

Recoil was manageable, but uncomfortable, and, at about 80 oz. loaded, the thing got veeerrry heavy after going through a couple of magazines. Without all that mass, though, the pistol would really have been hard to hold during recoil. The recoil felt to me to be about equivalent to a mossy 500 12ga with the pistol grip shooting 1-1/8 oz field loads. Wrist was a bit sore for couple of hours after shooting.

Prior to that, most powerful handgun shot was .357 Magnum...seems rather anemic compared to DE.

MikeJ
January 2, 2003, 02:14 PM
AMT .45 backup :banghead: . I've never shot anything else that hurt so bad. It was like a medieval torture on my trigger finger. Mike

Larry Ashcraft
January 2, 2003, 03:23 PM
I actually enjoy shooting my Super Blackhawk. Also enjoyed my 14" 30-30 Contender and my Wichita 7mm IHMSA when I shot silhouette.

On the other hand, I have a Makarov with thick wooden grips that is absolutely unpleasant to shoot. I guess the blowback action and the thick grips makes that little 9x18 a hand-bruiser.

Mastrogiacomo
January 2, 2003, 06:18 PM
The Smith and Wesson model 442. I call her "the little Bitch" and I don't mean it with affection...:fire:

shootingfarm
January 2, 2003, 06:37 PM
The most unpleasant handgun,

AMT HARDBALLER, its a wonder I ever bought any more 1911

The hardest kicking T/C Contender 10" 45/70, followed by some very very HOT 44mag. given to me by a friend ( whats wrong with us I read this above , they give them to us and we shoot them) it locked up cylinder on my Redhawk.

I've shot Desert Eagle 50AE, I though it would worse than it was, actually I'd like to get one, don't no why.

Paul

wild billz
January 2, 2003, 07:14 PM
the worst shooting gun was a Jennings model 9, 9mm. horrible trigger, horrible sights, horrible finish, horrible fit, horrible reliability, and hurt your hand due to the horrible ergonomics and cheap grip, just plain horrible

enutees
January 2, 2003, 07:29 PM
Does a Serbu super shorty count? 7" barreled 12 gauge hurts like hell with buckshot.

After that it would have to be any AMT backup gun. 380 sucked as bad as the .45.

I'd rather hit my hand with a hammer.

January 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
This is a difficult one... I'm kind of a recoil junkey so I actually like my Contender in .30-30 and my friends Desert Eagle .50 AE (both which I've shot one handed, but I don't recomend it) I guess my answer is the AMT Backup .380 that @#$%'n thing took skin off of me every time I shot it....

Michael

branrot
January 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
S&W 340sc. Rough with .38's, painful with .357's. Not painful like getting whacked over the head, but it will leave your hand stinging after just a cylinder full. More painful than my 44Mag Anaconda, or my 50AE Desert Eagle.

Oh yeah, it's the gun I carry most.... loaded with .357's.

Kevlarman
January 2, 2003, 07:58 PM
I was quite small at the time (maybe 4 years old), but to me, my dad's S&W 9mm was too much for me to handle! :D

J Miller
January 2, 2003, 08:19 PM
The worst gun I have ever fired was a NM Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" with the stock dragoon grips, fireing 240 gr factory ammo.
Within in six shots my hand was almost split at the web, and my trigger finger was black and blue because the trigger kept snapping forward under recoil and pinching my finger.

G31user
January 2, 2003, 08:23 PM
Anything but a Glock:neener: .

Actually, a Walther PPK was the worst. Terrible trigger, jammed constantly, and chewed up my hands.

Dave Markowitz
January 2, 2003, 09:18 PM
Glock 27 in .40, shooting 135 grain CCI Blazers. The G27 is light and those Blazers are hot loads. My finger kept getting pinched between the bottom of the grip frame and the mag baseplate. Ouch! :(

MarineTech
January 2, 2003, 09:21 PM
Made the mistake of firing my mother's S&W Ladysmith with a full load .357 Magnum. The gun has the smooth wood grip and was hard to hold on to. Little bugger stood straight up in my hand and the cylinder release took a gash out of my thumb. I quickly recomended to her that she use only .38s or .38+P in the thing.

fallingblock
January 2, 2003, 09:22 PM
My first shot split my left thumb on the loading gate...taught me to position the thumb differently after that!:D

Marko Kloos
January 2, 2003, 09:35 PM
NAA Guardian in .32ACP.

Beautiful little jewel of a gun, but it would belt the crap out of my fingers. Never enjoyed shooting it because it really started hurting after a few magazines.

notbubba
January 2, 2003, 09:47 PM
The most unpleasant handgun,

Walther p99, worst trigger ever and way off point of aim.
Happily it got stolen, so I didn't have to feel bad about selling it to someone.

Soap
January 2, 2003, 09:48 PM
Broomhandle Mauser...it bit me like crazy!

BSeevers
January 2, 2003, 09:55 PM
TC contender in 45/70 I bled everytime I shot it.
A guy said he had a derringer in 45/70. I didn't even want to see it after shooting the TC

cratz2
January 2, 2003, 10:58 PM
Don't remember the model for sure but a Scandium 357... and I was only shooting +P 38 Specials.

Have shot a Freedom Arms 454 with a 7 1/2" barrel that wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. But it'll certainly wake you up in the morning.

MessedUpMike
January 2, 2003, 11:53 PM
glock19

okeydoke
January 3, 2003, 12:05 AM
the old, 1960's saw handle stock, or the first 1911 (short grip safety, beavertail hammer spur) I ground off the latter after the first shot left the gun hanging on the web of my hand. I was 16 years old,it was 1968. :-)

Politically Incorrect
January 3, 2003, 12:17 AM
Hi-Point.

It felt like shooting 9mm out of a brick. My buddy bought one because he's cheap (at least sometimes). He has learned that you at least have to spend a couple hundred dollars for a decent handgun. ;)

The second unpleasant is my 2 1/2" S&W 629. The gun would twist in your hand when shooting Magnum rounds with the nice looking rosewood Hogue grips I bought for it. I can handle hot loads much better with the rubber grips that came on it.

Of course, it's neat to stand behind someone when shooting my little hand cannon. If it's overcast outside, you can see the flash of flame and the ring of fire that the bullet passes through. I'm pretty sure a quite a bit of powder is burns outside of the barrel.

The web between my thumb and forefinger have been sore because of that gun. Sure, it begins to hurt, but it's too fun to put down. I've had many looks at my snub nose magnum, but not many want to try it out. :D

Fiveshooter
January 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
The absolute worst was a Desert Eagle in .50 AE. The problem was not recoil as in a gun this heavy recoil was quite mild. I fired exactly 3 rounds from the gun and was hit very hard in the forhead by the ejected brass 3 times. I handed it back to it's owner and noticed he had several bumps and bruises on his face and forehead. He asked me if the recoil was too much for me. I told him "no I just don't like any gun that shoots anything back at me."
I have fired thousands of rounds of .454 Casull and .475 Linebaugh in Freedom Arms revolvers with no major discomfort.

FunYet
January 3, 2003, 01:16 AM
A Guardian 380. The recoil rammed the trigger guard into my knuckle with every shot.

agony
January 3, 2003, 01:43 AM
PA-63 in 9x18 makarov. Just plain hurts; the backstrap was poorly designed.

NAA Guardian .32 and .380. Amazingly horrible trigger slap. Yuck.

WonderNine
January 3, 2003, 01:49 AM
Probably firing off 210 grain loads out of my Titanium Taurus .41 magnum. My hand got a little sore after about 100 rounds. And the cylinder release usually caught the top of my thumb joint a few too many times and made be bleed. And the webbing between my index finger and thumb was sore for several days afterwards.

4v50 Gary
January 3, 2003, 02:40 AM
Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. My wrists were shot after a couple of rounds. Even the guys at the factory asked in wonder, "Why would anyone want to buy one of these, yet alone shoot one?"

Okiecruffler
January 3, 2003, 05:31 AM
A Davis P380. Up until that point I'd never shot any auto except my dad's 1911s. Didn't realize you had to keep an eye on the web of your hand. That lesson cost me a good quantity of blood, a nice silk shirt, and the money to get two sutures to keep things closed.
Second worse was also a .380, a Bersa thunder. A peice of the slide broke off while shooting and made a gash under my left eye. Got lucky and that one only needed some steristrips.

riverdog
January 3, 2003, 11:28 AM
A Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Despite all the claims of a better grip, I could never get used to it. After two cylinders I'd be sweatin just from holding on to the "better target grip". I sold it and replaced with a S&W 629, I'll never look back. Even though it's lighter, the 629 felt recoil is less due to the grip. Much better overall weapon. YMMV

MJRW
January 3, 2003, 11:53 AM
S&W Sigma 380. Bit like an angry, rabid dog with an self-esteem problem. I can deal with recoil, I don't really want to, but I can. But I cannot deal with that nasty biting.

Big Al
January 3, 2003, 12:43 PM
AMT .45 Backup. No Doubt. I'm not that sensitive to recoil, but shooting that POS was like setting an M-80 off in your closed fist. My hand hurt for a month after only one mag!

killjoy
January 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
S&W Scandium with hot .357's hurt like hell and the flash will blind you.:mad:

tobeat1
January 3, 2003, 04:08 PM
Scandium Smith .357. :what:

Carbon_15
January 3, 2003, 04:40 PM
My S&W 360PD Scandium with full-house Remington 125 S-JHP or (For a big OUCH) S&B 158 JSP's is without a doubt the most painfull weapon I have ever fired. After a few cylinders full, my wrist and elbow would ache for a day or 2. My old AMT backup .45 was pretty dang awful too. the recoil itself was moderatly bad, but the slide's propensity to dig to little trenches in between your thumb and forefinger was the worst...and the little sharp squared off bottom corner of the grip likes to dig into the heal of your hand.

ButchG17
January 3, 2003, 05:29 PM
An HK VP70Z.

Sharp, painful recoil (unlocked blowback action), the trigger was very poorly shaped and painful aswell as being a very heavy DAO, and the sights were just plain sorry.

HankL
January 3, 2003, 05:55 PM
B.I.L. had a S&W 629 with a very short barrel that was very nasty to shoot with full power loads.
I love to shoot my FA 454 even with FA full power loads.

JeepDriver
January 3, 2003, 06:21 PM
Another vote for the 50AE. I shot a rental gun with Gold Dot ammo. After 20 rounds (@18.95 a box) I was done. I can say I shot a 50 cal. pistol. Don't want to do it again. That gun is brutal.

Everytime I watch the movie "Snatch" I laugh when they shoot it one handed.

treeprof
January 3, 2003, 07:17 PM
My wife's former Walther Interarms PPK/S. One pass of the razor-sharp slide over my hand and: "Umm, look dear. No more unsightly webbing between my thumb and forefinger to worry about. Hold this while I grab a towel"

sig970
January 3, 2003, 08:09 PM
The Glock line of handguns.

That trigger, grip angle, plastic

Boats
January 3, 2003, 09:01 PM
My unpleasant one was easy, the first full house USGI M1911A1 I fired in the Navy. The hammer bit me so hard I had a through-and-through puncture wound in the ole thumbwebbing.:cuss:

The sweetest pistol I have ever shot is also a 1911A1, but I will now only fire ones with spurless hammers and something approaching a spade or beavertail grip safety. I call the stock hammer and grip safety "the hammer and the anvil.":D

Yep I was bit so hard that I was infected for life. You see, that bloody shot out of that sloppy pistol went COM, (as did most of the rest), on the shilouette and was trigger heaven compared to the revolvers my Dad let me cut my teeth on. The 1911 trigger was like a hand rifle. I have owned as many as five at any one time, though I am currently down to two to feed a recent Garand frenzy.:what:

sonoranjack
January 3, 2003, 09:16 PM
Revolver. My shots are all over the target. I don't like the long hard DA trigger pull.

Sean Smith
January 3, 2003, 09:19 PM
AMT Backup .40. The slide bit the back of my hand, and it took a month for the marks to go away.

:cuss:

Politically Incorrect
January 3, 2003, 10:00 PM
What's wrong with the .50AE? I think it's fun to shoot!

http://home.earthlink.net/~fortyfourmagnum/_uimages/DE24k.jpg

gbelleh
January 3, 2003, 10:11 PM
Easily the HK VP70. The trigger must have been at least 40 lbs. At first, I was convinced the safety was still on! I would say I have pretty strong hands, but after the first few shots, I had to use both index fingers to pull the trigger all the way back!

One of the best features of the VP70 is its 18 round mags, but after 8 or 10, I had no desire to finish the mag. No fun at all! :(

Neat as an interesting HK collectable, and the very first production polymer pistol, but I'll never shoot one voluntarily again.

WonderNine
January 3, 2003, 10:13 PM
After owning a titanium .41 mag I can't imagine the .357 scandium recoil is all that bad in comparison. I'd consider using full house loads if it wasn't for the NOISE!!! :eek:

ARGarrison
January 3, 2003, 10:48 PM
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with 7 1/2" barrel. It was loaded with UMC 180gr bullet, full magnum loads, fast and hot. The problem was the after market rubber grip left the back strap open. First round I found the palm my hand pinched between the grip and backstrap. :cuss:

HadEmAll
January 4, 2003, 01:54 AM
Beautiful little stainless Walther .22 semiautomatic. I forget the model # (TPH?). Just impossible for me to hold it so the slide didn't hit the web of my hand. Really regretted having to get rid of it, it was so purty. Don't have that problem on the little Berettas. Ah well.......

telewinz
January 4, 2003, 11:37 AM
A Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. Reloaded "warm" 44 Special loads with 240 grain bullets. After 3 rounds decided to trade pistol in for something else but wanted to finish shooting all 50 reloads. After 10th round gave up and walked into gunstore and traded it away for some else. Bulldog (circa 1977) great gun to carry but terrible gun to shoot! :eek:

Kentucky Rifle
January 4, 2003, 11:53 AM
A 12 ounce .357 Scandium Ti model 360 snub. I've read posts that say "No Problem"! However for me, BIG problem!
I'd rather lay my hand on an anvil and whack it with a hammer than shoot that thing empty again. Strangely, I have a cousin who loves his 360. :confused:
(He's a little nuts, though :) )

KR

Carbon_15
January 4, 2003, 12:05 PM
BTW, the Scandium guns with an exposed hammer are worse. Sometimes I think if it hadn't been for the hammer embeding into the web of my hand, the gun would be in orbit.

waterman
January 4, 2003, 01:28 PM
The 480 ruger in a super redhawk. Shot 2 rounds through it and handed it back. It just wasn't any fun. My 44 mag and my 41 mag are a whole lot nicer to shoot.

para.2
January 4, 2003, 01:34 PM
Walther PPK/S .380. Never had a shooting session w/it that I didn't come away bloody. Still have scars on the back of my hand from it. (Yeah, I guess I'm a slow learner, But the darn thing would hit where I pointed it!):banghead: Also, it feels so good whenyou stop!;)

tlhelmer
January 4, 2003, 02:16 PM
.44 magnum snub!?:eek:

larryw
January 4, 2003, 02:18 PM
Right now its any 1911 with a palm swell grip safety: smashed my hand a couple years ago and it never healed right, palm swell hits in just the "right" spot. More unpleasant than my 5 1/2" Redhawk in 44mag.

Carbon_15: who was behind the camera for that picture? :eek:

denfoote
January 4, 2003, 02:29 PM
I have given this some thought and finally came up with one: Taurus M605 .357 MAG snubbie.
I made the mistake of loading it with full house mag loads and touched it off. Well, it took a full week for the webbing on my shooting hand to heal!!! :what:
I sent it into Taurus to have the barrel ported, but never warmed up to it after that. I finally traded both my Taurui revolvers for a Kel-Tek P32 that my lovely wife uses to carry to work at her politically correct graveyard retail job. So, in that sense, I made out like a bandit on the trade!!! :D

Fish Springs
January 4, 2003, 04:35 PM
Two very unpleasant come to mind:

1. Remington XP in .308 Winchester
2. Scandium Smith .357

One very painfull one:

1. Remington XP in .458 American (.458 Win shortened to 2" case length). The blast and recoil were tremendous--I am still amazed that this gun's owner could clean the ram line with this gun. Chickens went sub-orbital!

Carbon_15
January 4, 2003, 04:41 PM
My Ex took that picture....talk about missed oportunity :what: :eek: ....JUST KIDDING, I used a timer.
Before anyone freaks..those were dummy rounds.

larryw
January 4, 2003, 06:11 PM
;)

Dean Speir
January 4, 2003, 06:31 PM
A Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. Reloaded "warm" 44 Special loads with 240 grain bullets. After 3 rounds decided to trade pistol in for something else but wanted to finish shooting all 50 reloads. After 10th round gave up and walked into gunstore and traded it away for some else. Bulldog (circa 1977) great gun to carry but terrible gun to shoot! I have one of the original 2½-inchers, and as Jeff Cooper wrote 30 years ago, "a brilliant concept egregiously consummated!." Don't know how it would "feel" in a stressfire scenario, but I do know that I wouldn't ever be able to train and practice with it well-enough to allow myself to carry it as a PDW. I did an article on it for one of the Combat Handguns books some years back and as is my wont, ran lotsa different rounds through the thing using the Eagle Rosewood "Secret Service" (!) stocks, and all were extremely painful, from the lightweight MagSafe exotics to the 246-grain WW RNLs… bad juju for the shooter! My writing of that report was interrupted by frequent ibuprofen breaks!

But the worst was an old (mercifully defunct!) Federal Ordnance "lightweight Government Model!!!" Talk about "egregously consummated!," the concept was almost as bad. Badly cast in a porous alloy somewhere on the Pacific Rim, it was virtually unfinished (retained all manner of razor-sharp edges!) and would only feed hardball… and unreliably, at that!

Every press of the trigger which did result in a discharge, usually drew blood on the shooter. An awful experience!

rick_reno
January 4, 2003, 06:54 PM
Thompson Contender in 45/70.

I have a couple of FA 454's - but wasn't prepared for the punishment that TC had. I shot it once, I had no interest in doing it again. The rubber on the grips might have contributed to the pain, the gun didn't roll in my hand like the FA handguns do - it just kind of stuck and forced my wrist back.

armabill
January 4, 2003, 07:33 PM
454 Casull (Taurus)

jrpeterman
January 4, 2003, 08:53 PM
Shot a friend's 5 in. Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum loaded with 300gr. bullets and a super hot powder charge that he intended to use boar hunting. It ripped the skin off the web of the hand. I have never fired a handgun loaded that mean since. Learned a valuable lesson.

Detachment Charlie
January 4, 2003, 09:52 PM
S&W .357 Scandium.
ONE full house round did it for me. Returned it my friend, its owner. Remember, I'm crazy, not stooopid!:banghead:

Gopher
January 5, 2003, 01:54 AM
A Taurus 945 just because it hammer bit the hell out of me. I loved the gun and would still be using it as my carry choice but it made me bleed every time I shot it. Second place would be a Springfield .45 before I added a beavertail safey grip to it for the very same reason.

The weapon should punish on only one end.:D

Rick R
January 5, 2003, 08:57 AM
Worse I ever owned was a Detonics Pocket Nine, didn't know it till I bought it but the grips were made out of aluminum! After a magazine of 9mm the bones in your hand would hurt. It was like being too cold or arthritis or something.

Those Scandium .357Mag revolvers are probably second worse, they kick harder and usually abrade skin off of my thumb but my hand still feels useable afterwards.

I don't mind firing my Mountain Gun with heavy stuff at all compared to the above two.

Rick

Dienekes
January 5, 2003, 10:36 PM
Original Remington-sized derringer in .357, put out by Hy Hunter circa 1963. Brutal in .357 and merely bad with .38 Spls. Quality control was iffy and I soon decided that it was not much different than holding a hand grenade. It was retired to a shadow box over 20 years ago and there it will stay.

Long gun: Model 870 police shotgun with metal folding stock and 13" barrel. Very compact but terminal on both ends. The 13" barrel is in a drawer someplace and likely to stay there.

XavierBreath
January 6, 2003, 01:17 AM
KelTec P32 with a pocket clip. One shot and the stud holding the clip eats flesh. Unfortunately this is my CCW for summer and scrubs, and there is no alternative. I've tried everything I can think of to cushion the damed stud, but have learned to accept it.

Next worse was the walther PPK/S before I radiused it, smoothed the bottom of the slide and installed Pachmayr grips. It was a nasty little nibbler!

Archie
January 6, 2003, 01:27 AM
I had a S&W M19 long ago... used full house magnum ammo in it and Herrett Shooting Star grips. Single rounds weren't bad, but the effect was cumulative.
S&W M25 firing hardball with Shooting Stars was similar. Both revolvers shot like rifles, but beat and beat and beat my hand.

Was issued a match grade 45 one year (1976) for the Western Division Matches. It shot much better than I did, but hammer bit. I can still feel the lump where the scar was.

Heavy recoil per shot? I once shot two rounds out of an over/under derringer in 45ACP. Hardball. I'm still happy they weren't something like +P. That was painful and the shift of the pistol was serious. I could probably made a solid body hit out to ... five or six feet.

Then I shot two rounds from a howdah pistol. Imagine, if you will, the two shot High Standard DA derringer, sized up to chamber two rounds of .577 Snyder. The barrels are about 7 inches long and the pistol weighs about four pounds. The owner of the pistol shot 28 guage shotgun ammo through it.
I have a picture of me shooting it somewhere... I ripped the arm seam of my shirt.

With any kind of luck, there will be worse ones yet!

Hand_Rifle_Guy
January 6, 2003, 10:44 AM
Got a couple.

Springfield Armory S.A.S.S. Looks about like so. This one's a .223, but mine are considerably bigger, with correspondingly heavier barrels:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/45sass.jpg

Shooting the .308 Win. is bad. It hurts. The .358 Win. is MUCH WORSE. Bruises after 4-5 shots. Imprints the mainspring checkering on your palm. No scopes on mine, so they weigh less.

Runner-up is The Monster. American Derrringer Model 8, chambered for 7.62 X 39. Example:

http://www.amderringer.com/pix/M8.jpg

Stings like Hell won't have, but not as bad as the .358. Doesn't shove you around, or try to bury itself in your head. Light bullets make all the difference.

In comparison, my buddy's .454 SRH is a breeze to shoot. My Mountain Gun is a positive pussycat, even with those UMC Yellow-box softpoints. I have a steel .41 Tracker that's pretty bad, but it just doesn't compare.

dd-b
January 6, 2003, 01:00 PM
For me personally it was my Colt Government Mk. IV series 70. I owned it from 1981 until last year, but I never found it pleasant or comfortable to shoot.

I don't mind .357, I enjoyed shooting a friends .44 snubbie and the same friend's .45 Super; I'm not super-sensitive to recoil or noise or anything. But the .45 just wasn't my friend.

Ian
January 6, 2003, 01:08 PM
The worst I've fired was a Dan Wesson .44 mag single-handed. Maybe I was holding it badly, but it gave my whole arm a good jarring. Compared to that, a .45 win mag LAR Grizzly is wimpy, and a 1911 is downright soft and fuzzy.

tex_n_cal
January 6, 2003, 09:51 PM
Another vote for the .50 DE. The grip to me was just like a 2x4 - my thumb got all the brunt of the recoil.

The 10" .44 mag Contender with hot loads kicks hard, straight back into the palm of you hand. It also was pretty inaccurate, to my disgust.

I've shot a .454 SRH, with full tilt loads, and it was memorable. Lots of muzzle whip, and it whacked the palm of my hand hard. I want a .480:neener:

I was surprised at the kick of a Walther PPK I shot recently. I do fine with normal pistol calibers, even hot .44's and .45 Colts, but that PPK ended my longstanding desire for one of them.:(

I want an XP100R in full length 7mm-08:D

Worst muzzle blast? An XP100 in .22-250, loaded with lots of Varget.:evil:

happy old sailor
January 7, 2003, 02:05 PM
see a number of mentions on the .380 NAA Backup. me too.

was a happy day when some dude thought it was the "cutest" little thing he had ever seen. same thing i thought when i bought it. he made an offer that included a small profit to me. had a handful of money vice a handful of pain. happy day indeed.

357Man
January 7, 2003, 05:15 PM
Several; I recently shot one of the S&W titanium snubbies with 158 grain .357 loads. I didn't make it through all five in the cylinder, I stopped at two, and I am not recoil sensitive.

Second, TC Contender in .45-70, 500 grain HOT handloads. Even with the muzzle break, it was a killer. Also, same gun, .375 JDJ with muzzle break - I shot it offhand, with iron sights. It came straight back with almost no muzzle rise, and darn near knocked me over (handloads with 300 grain Sierra boattails).

Gunner45
January 7, 2003, 05:44 PM
FEG PA-63 in 9Makarov. That little commie pistol hurt the web of my hand worse that my .44 mag ever has. One box, and I was ready to go back to shooting the 44, just to give my hand a break.
:)

Gunner45

RCL
January 7, 2003, 07:04 PM
Most unpleasnat handgun I ever shot was a T/C Contender in .44 Mag, even using Winchester "white box". I don't know what it was about that gun, but it would leave my fingers bruised and bloodied. Felt recoil was more than my FA .454 with heavy loads. That thing just did not fit me.

Owen
January 7, 2003, 07:26 PM
TC Encore in .454 Casull. I had blood rushing out of my knuckle for 10 minutes

Dr.Rob
January 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
Call me a wuss but the 454 casull is just too much gun for me.

Let's not even get started on the 30-06 Encore.

I had the shakes for days.

Grizzly
January 7, 2003, 11:10 PM
mine was a T/C contender in 7x30 waters with a muzzle brake
the reciol was managable but getting slapped in the face with the blast of hot gas was quickly tiresome

OldFatGuy
February 4, 2003, 03:13 PM
AMT .45 Backup gets a vote. I have one. Not fun to shoot, but I do use it, and will keep it.

My new .47-70 10" BFR is a fun gun to shoot. Recoil isn't that bad. 4" S&W .44 mag is worse.

CGofMP
February 4, 2003, 03:48 PM
But i really disliked the Beretta Jetfire .25 automatic.

I have fired lots of high powered handguns and felt BIG recoil but that stupid little Jetfire has such a sharp SMACKING little recoil .....

Bleah...

Charles

DJJ
February 4, 2003, 03:49 PM
.50 AE Desert Eagle. Wasn't mine, and I almost dropped it. Never really did have a decent hold on the 2x4 sized grip to begin with.

3" M29. Mine, and not for sale, because it hits like the bullets are self-guided, even with the recoil & short sight radius.

M342 airweight. Recoil is very snappy due to the light weight, and as mentioned earlier, the "ball peen hammer effect" on the palm.

YodaVader
February 4, 2003, 05:08 PM
"The 10" .44 mag Contender with hot loads kicks hard, straight back into the palm of you hand. It also was pretty inaccurate, to my disgust."

Yeah I know where you are coming from! I have fired many 44 Magnum rounds through S&W and Ruger revolvers (6.5" -7.5" mostly) and even from the bench and they were not even close to the 10" TC 44 in FELT RECOIL! :cuss: Although the TC 44 barrel I owned was fairly accurate - fianlly resorted to wearing a padded glove to shoot that thing!

A Glock 17 was the most unpleasant gun to shoot that did not cause actual pain. The ergonomics of that gun are all wrong for me. Did not not care for the pointing characteristics , muzzle flip for such a modest cartridge and the terrible trigger. Never liked Glocks since.

Bob C
February 4, 2003, 10:42 PM
A TC Contender in .44 Magnum with a octagon 10" barrell and full l;oads. Much worse than a 14" 35 Remington.

gbran
February 4, 2003, 11:42 PM
Hot ammo in handguns do two things; Kick and push (or bite and shove). Titanium .357's kick and bite and are very unpleasant. Hot rounds out of my SRH .454 kick worse that some .475 & 500 Linebaughs, which do kick, but certainly push a lot harder. Rate of burn vs. weight? Don't forget ergonomics. My titanium .357 Taurus trigger guard rested against the backside of my finger and hurt like hell when shooting.

Rexzila
February 5, 2003, 04:46 AM
The most unpleasant gun I had through the year was a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. I loved the concept of having a large bore in a small package. But the darn thing always bit my hand, I traded it for an old Colt Police Positive. I have passed on quite a few guns over the years. As mentioned by many a PPk will give you stitches on the back of your hand it you have thick mitts like mine. The bottom of the slide coming back on the web of your hand will cut it like sushi. I have a Beretta Tomcat that would of had the same problem, but I changed to Pierce Wrap Around grips which solves it. The moral of the story...always find an example to shoot before you buy something....that is what gun ranges are for.

Pappy John
February 5, 2003, 09:58 AM
NAA mini-revolver in .22lr. Big hands mean a one finger grip. And to top it off, the first time I tried to shoot one I was inexperienced with any type of handgun. The first couple of shots left the gun standing straight up in my hand so I thought it would be a brilliant idea to shift my grip for a better grasp, using my middle finger on the trigger with my forefinger bracing the gun alongside the cylinder...with the tip of course right next to the cylinder gap. Can you say blood blister? :what: :banghead:

Kobun
February 5, 2003, 08:06 PM
Grisly .45 Win Mag.
It had a bunch of sharp edges and it cut my hand badly. I bled all over the gun but finished the mag.
I told the owner to get the sharp edges rounded, but he wanted to keep it in original condition! :banghead: :rolleyes:
Gees... The recoil wasn't bad, but that gun sucked!
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

benewton
February 8, 2003, 08:33 AM
I've gotta back MJRW: .380 Sigma's truely suck.

I went back to my ,44 Bulldog for relief after a mag full of .380s.

goon
February 8, 2003, 06:26 PM
It was most likely my Ruger Blackhawk 45LC. I bought it for a hunting/outdoor gun, so I loaded some pretty stiff handloads for it. The recoil itself wasn't that bad, but because of the shape of the grip and my long fngers and big hands, the triggerguard would smack me in the knuckle of my middle finger every time.
After about 5 rounds, I would have a pretty wicked bruise where that thing kept hitting me. In order to get rid of the problem, I had to load standard loads for it. That defeated my reason for buying it, so I sold it off.

Beorn
February 8, 2003, 10:30 PM
Another vote for the Desert Eagle .50AE. The slide kept nicking the web of my hand. That changed once I started wearing my shooting glove, but then the hold was awkward. And I'm a big guy with big hands... Not remotely fun to shoot.

Another, believe it or not, was a little derringer in .22 magnum. See big hands comment above! It hurt like heck. Nowhere to grab it.

The worst thin I ever shot was a "trick" shotgun for a wild-west show. It was a double barreled 12 gauge with rabbit triggers for one hand (a la "Mississippi's gun" from Rio Bravo [John Wayne movie]). It was loaded with "safety rounds" (half powder charge and disintegrating wad). I was supposed to fire both barrels with one hand (see big hands comment above).

Bad idea.

The first trigger stabbed into my middle finger on the second trigger and stuck there. I had to pry my finger off of the first trigger. It darn near broke my wrist. If it had been a "real" shotgun with "real" 12 gauge ammo, I WOULD have broken my wrist, badly.

Sometimes we do stupid things, eh?

MCNETT
February 9, 2003, 12:43 AM
I have some heavy hitters, including a .454 SRH that I shoot regularly 360gr WFN @ 1500fps. BUT....the S&W scandium that my brother has stoked with 158GDHP over 15.0 2400 takes the cake for pain. That triggerguard nail yout middle finger and will draw blood!!!
-Mike

ahadams
February 9, 2003, 01:19 AM
dragon atgm...well okay that was unfair and a long time ago, as well (it compares unfavorably to someone firing a ported 12 gauge next to your ear). how about every titanium snubby over .38 spl I've seen so far? what in the world is the attraction some people have for those things?

Bainx
February 9, 2003, 12:17 PM
Unbelievably, the Makarov with the stock military hard plastic grip is the most uncomfortable handgun to shoot. It just flat-out stings your hand! The Pearce grip is a vast improvement.

Kframe
February 9, 2003, 04:16 PM
As far as recoil goes, it'd have to be the a .44 Mag Rossi 2" snub with tiny grips.

As far as noise, the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine had quite a bark and blast.

-Kframe

Hypnogator
February 9, 2003, 07:16 PM
...and another vote for the Kel-Tec P-40. Recoil is just on the stiff side of vicious. I'm an experienced shooter, but I just can't seem to hang on to it tight enough to keep it from twisting in my hand. By the time I've put a box through it, the plastic grip top has worn a hole in my thumb near the web of my hand.

My 2.5" Combat Magnum also gives quite a slap with 158-gr full power magnum loads. I'd truly hate to touch one of those off in a weapon the size and weight of my stainless Chief's Special.

happy old sailor
February 10, 2003, 12:55 AM
my sincere apology to NAA. you did not make the .380 Backup that whacked my palm, it was AMT.

my memory of the manufacturer may have faded somewhat, but not the pain.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which has been the most unpleasant handgun you have shot ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!