Just a reminder: Always check the chamber

PDA

hartzpad
November 19, 2005, 11:10 PM
Found a link to this guy's page, he shot himself through the hand with a .45 while stripping his Glock after he forgot to check the chamber. Always good to have reminders no matter how safe you are:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/11/from-email.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Just a reminder: Always check the chamber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
solareclipse
November 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
why load a mag with bullets in it if you are going to strip the gun later anyway.. user error 10035%,

Standing Wolf
November 19, 2005, 11:23 PM
Ouch!

3rdpig
November 19, 2005, 11:28 PM
why load a mag with bullets in it if you are going to strip the gun later anyway.. user error 10035%,

If I go to the range with my carry piece when I'm done practicing with it I'll reload with my carry ammo and holster the gun for the ride home, then unload, strip and clean later in the day.

I didn't read his story, but this kind of thing is usually nothing more than a lack of proper education, training and practice. I see it all the time in new gun owners who, having never shot a gun before, go out and buy a gun and never get the proper education and training in safe gun handling.

There's something to be said for having a father who drills it into your brain at a young age, but that's getting fewer and farther between these days.

EddieCoyle
November 20, 2005, 12:03 AM
The link on that blog is from a post on our forum:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166509

Nematocyst
November 20, 2005, 12:05 AM
Even though the title doesn't reflect it, there's already a thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166509) going on this story.

Amazing story to remind us all to be careful.

Nem

losangeles
November 20, 2005, 02:58 AM
Yep, it can happen. Just one second of forgetfulness after thousands of hours of doing it. Thanks for the reminder.

GRIFFIN1
November 20, 2005, 03:24 AM
I hope he learns that you don't have to put your hand in front of the barrel to remove the slide on a glock.

c_yeager
November 20, 2005, 05:18 AM
I think that the best lesson to be learned from this is that its a really bad idea to point a firearm at your hand and then pull the trigger. I guess some people cant just figure that one out without having to have a demonstration.

johnmcl
November 20, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

When I read this thread I started reflecting on a very recently experienced and very long half second.

I have a new gun safe. The first time I pulled my Garand out of the safe, I put my hand on the barrel guard and gently pulled forward. For about a half second the business end was boresighted at my head. That was the *longest* half-second and has never been repeated. I was thinking about that mistake for days and what a stupid, stupid, stupid..... stupid thing to do.

In summary, experience is no guarantee for safety. Keep aware, buddies....

John

SouthpawShootr
November 20, 2005, 10:26 AM
Been a while since I had gross anatomy, but I'm pretty sure the metatarsals are on the feet not the hand. So the reference to "ring finger meta-tarsal" is a bit confusing.

Still, from the pictures, that is a serious ouch! :what: He says the MD expects 80% return of function, but.......damn! Hurts just to look at.

I've seen more than one picture like this. A local police officer field stripped his S&W 6906 for cleaning and somehow forgot to clear the chamber. As the slide came off the frame, the hammer tripped and fired the gun into his hand which was covering the muzzle. Glocktalk has a couple of threads showing like damage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just a reminder: Always check the chamber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!