M4's with 14" barrel and 2" muzzle brake

PDA

natedog
April 2, 2003, 06:45 PM
What's the point of having a 14" barrel with a 2" brake? Why not just get a 16" barrel? It will end up being the same length as the 14+2" barrel, and you will have the added velocity advantage.

If you enjoyed reading about "M4's with 14" barrel and 2" muzzle brake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Redlg155
April 2, 2003, 06:58 PM
Most folks do because that's the way they come from the factory. Bushmaster is one of the makers that have a 14.5" barrel with a muzzle brake. The 14.5" barrel keeps it close to the military profile, something that a lot of folks seem to want.

A 16" barrel is quieter and has more velocity, but it just isn't as cool. The same thing goes for collapsible style stocks that don't work. They are just for show.

Folks want the look, and the look sells guns.

Good Shooting
Red

4v50 Gary
April 2, 2003, 07:03 PM
Folks want the look, and the looks sells guns.

Pappy always said people will spend money on haircuts and looks before they buy food.

ajacobs
April 2, 2003, 08:17 PM
You need that set up for proper bayonet fuction.

Byron Quick
April 2, 2003, 09:31 PM
You need that set up for proper bayonet fuction.

Hmmm. The M-16/AR-15/M4 platform has always seemed awkward to me with a bayonet. Ditto for the M14/M1A, the Uzi, and HK91. In fact, the last military rifles that feel right to me in use with a bayonet are the WWII main battle rifles. Really about the only one after that that feels good in use is the SKS.

Don't get me wrong here, I am by no means an expert with the bayonet. I've just fooled around here and there.

natedog
April 2, 2003, 09:34 PM
But with the 14" barrel + 2" muzzle brake, the barrel is a total of 16" long. the carbine with the 16" of actual barrel is 16" long. How does that affect bayonet?

Redlg155
April 2, 2003, 10:57 PM
You need that set up for proper bayonet fuction

Ahh..but that point is moot if you have a post ban M4 with a muzzle brake.

Good Shooting
Red

rock jock
April 2, 2003, 11:36 PM
A 16" barrel is quieter and has more velocity, but it just isn't as cool. The same thing goes for collapsible style stocks that don't work. They are just for show.
Exactly. That's why my M4gery is solid at the muzzle. I can't understand why people want MB's on AR's. They make an already loud rifle positively deafening.

Onslaught
April 3, 2003, 11:40 AM
But with the 14" barrel + 2" muzzle brake, the barrel is a total of 16" long. the carbine with the 16" of actual barrel is 16" long. How does that affect bayonet?
Redlg got there first... post-ban = no bayo = don't matter.

The best of both worlds (to me) is the Rock River "fake supressor". It looks exactly like a flash supressor, but it's pressed all the way onto the barrel so that the muzzle is even with the end of the FS. Looks like a 14.5" barrel with FS, but is actually 16" barrel with "eye shadow".

I just can't get over the look of an AR with a bare muzzle. I also don't like the looks of a 16" barrel with carbine handguards, either with or without decorations. It's just too long. The best look for the carbine (again, just my opinion) is the mid-length handguards from Rock River.

Now, if we're talking about a PREBAN rifle, then having a 14.5" barrel with a 2" flash supressor is actually 1" shorter than having a 16" barrel with a 1.5" flash supressor. Also, not that it matters, but you can't use the bayonet with a 16" barrel and carbine handguards.... But again, my personal preference (and one I may go with next time) would still be a 16" pre-ban barrel with mid-length handguards from Rock River. The only thing I'd want to see is a "mid length" FIRSCH or similar rail setup.

If I had a post-ban rifle, I would not want the fake-O collapsible stock either. I'd want either an A1, or a "shorty" entry stock, or maybe an ACE non-collapsible lightweight stock.

But personal preference is a freedom, so I generally refrain from asking "why would ANYONE" because there's always someone... And if we all thought and acted just alike, who would we have to yell at in traffic?

sanchezero
April 3, 2003, 01:16 PM
I can't help but think that the original bayonet post in here was a joke.

Who wants a freakin' bayonet anyway :scrutiny: ?

Onslaught
April 3, 2003, 02:07 PM
I can't help but think that the original bayonet post in here was a joke.

Are you kidding? How about.. Just about any bank robber or Gang Banger out there? Don't you know that drive-by bayonettings are all the rage these days? Plus it's much quieter than a plain ole bullet. And the next time you're robbing the Wells Fargo bank, just throw one of those puppies on your Assault Rifle and see how much less likely those tellers are to push the alarm button whilst staring down the steel!

:D

But I will admit... I do OWN a bayonet, simply because my AR has a lug on it... I just keep it in the safe... only put it on once or twice to see if it fit... Gosh, that's truely the first time I've ever admitted that out loud :what:

Arcli9ht
April 3, 2003, 07:19 PM
I like the 14.5" barrel with the 1.5" Blast enhancer. When I finally manage to pick up one of them from the local store, I was planning on putting a Trijicon ACOG TA01 on it, which is calibrated for .223 14.5" barrels.

/Arcli9ht

GLOCKT
April 4, 2003, 07:48 AM
How much velocity does one gain from a extra inch and a half?
From a 14.5" barrel to a 16" barrel with 1 in 9 twist rate.

April 4, 2003, 07:59 AM
I have a 14.5" barreled AR with a 2" muzzle brake. Why ? Because I want one. I got news for you. I am a civilian. The chances of me being in some firefight where I need to get the last ounce of performance from my rifle are pretty slim. Therefore, instead of trying to fool myself, or impress others, I simply buy what looks good to me. If I need to grab an AR for this hypothetical do or die, arm chair commando situation that I see endlessly discussed here, I will just grab one of my other eight ARs and leave the short ones at home.
I have done some chrono work with my AR15s. I have AR15s with barrels ranging in length from 11.5", 14.5", 16", and 20". According to my average results the difference between a 14.5" barrel and a 16" barrel is 78 fps. In other words, you will have some fast rounds out of the 14.5" barrel that is faster than a slow round out of the 16" barrel.
I wouldn't own an AR without a muzzle brake, so my 16" ARs are 16" plus a muzzle brake.

GLOCKT
April 4, 2003, 08:11 AM
Thats my fun gun set-up.
I paid $850 for it here in Indy.It's my range noise maker.I hit out to 200 yards with good accuracy.
My comp barrel is a 24"V-match fluted barrel with flip up rear and front sights.
1-lower,2uppers=2 different riffles.
I bought the carbine with break over non-break for the mistique of breakt barrel weapons.
It has met my needs 100% to this point and we all what that means.
If your happy with it, that's all that matters!

ajacobs
April 4, 2003, 09:02 AM
While it was somewhat of a joke that you need that set up for proper bayonet function it is true. Of course it is not relevant with postbans. And I am certainly not sure, maybe someone from ar15.com can help out but I do believe that is why 14.5 was decided on for them. 16" was never a military length. Actual m4's are less than 16 in with their flash hider. The reason that the bayonet works on a 14.5 in with a flash suppressor and not on a 16 in with the additional length of a flash suppressor has to do with the length between the front site (bayonet lug) and the end of the barrel coupled with the diameter of the hole in bayonet guard. If you put a bayonet on a preban 16 in barrel (that is really 16.5 in long with flash suppressor) the guard on the bayonet falls behind the flash suppressor. The hole in the guard is designed for flash suppressor size. The barrel is narrower so it would rattle. It works like the 20 in model on the 14.5 in with the hole in the guard falling over the flash suppressor. In that case it does not rattle.

I can not swear to it but I think that is why the 14.5 in was decided on. It is strange if they choose barrel length by bayonet function but I do believe the experemented with some 16 in and decided to cut them back.

Why people get postbans in 14.5 as opposed to 16? I can only think of 2 reasons.
1. They want to be as close to millitary specs as posible (hense the step down barrel even though they probally will never put a m203 on it)
2. They want a flash suppresor but as close to a 16" as possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "M4's with 14" barrel and 2" muzzle brake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!