Canton-McKinley range in Ohio

PDA

Captain-Quartz
November 20, 2005, 10:46 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol Club in the Akron, Canton area? I heard that they were going to spend a quarter million dollars in range improvement. They are a bullseye club, I think. any body got the scuttlebutt?

If you enjoyed reading about "Canton-McKinley range in Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armorplate
November 21, 2005, 12:04 PM
I was there in '95. Nice range! They must be adding a country club.

Captain-Quartz
November 21, 2005, 10:45 PM
The board at Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol club wants to send a quarter of a million bucks to build a 20 foot high sound abatement / safety wall around the shooting part of the club property. The problem is the rifle range use to be on the very edge of the property. They have recently purchased a strip of land next to the range. But less than 100 feet away are homes. Children play there. People cook-out and work in these yards. The rifle range needs to be moved to the center of the property were noise and safety are not a problem. They also bought 50 some acres to the right side, but are afraid to use that land. Why, I don’t know, but the boundary of the old land and new big parcel is were the rifle range wants to be. They claim that would cost them a half million dollars to move dirt around!

I have some problems:
1) Sound like someone is lining their pockets to me.
2) There are funding it with a special duty on club members, but are not doing anything to expand the range of shooting sports at the club. They are not running matches to bring in outsiders to help pay.
3) This 20 foot tall wall will only give them another excuse to discourage other shooting sports as it will define the only “safe” shooting area.

Canton McKinley will ask for a special vote of the members. Until they move the rifle range at a reasonable cost and have in place a plan to have more types of shooting sport tell them NO!

hksw
November 27, 2005, 08:15 PM
I had inquired about membership at CM a couple of months ago to get current info (also a couple of years ago but didn't do anything to gain admittance then) and was told to come on down to one of the shoots to see the facility and meet some members. Also, to gain the two signatures needed for membership. I had planned to do so but vacation got in the way but will do in the near future.

Main reason for getting into that club is it is over 100 yds for rifle (Grand River is only 100 yds max) and it is closer than Tusco near Midvale (also an excellent range but 1¾ hours away from me, I am a member there). Didn't know about the issues with the upgrades.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canton-McKinley range in Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!