Smyrna Gun Show in TN, will they have metal detectors at the door?

PDA

Oleg Volk
April 2, 2003, 09:28 PM
Last show someone had an ND while trying to clear a pistol at the door. I just heard a rumor that the show organizers would start wanding patrons at the entrance. I'd like to verify this rumor: if it is true, I'll stay away and go to the other, smaller, show. Don't like that kind of treatment. Does anyone know for sure or have contact info for the organizers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Smyrna Gun Show in TN, will they have metal detectors at the door?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Giant
April 3, 2003, 03:00 AM
I would stay away, too -- however, they would have a really fun time finding my "gun", I have at least 10 pounds of metal inside of my body, including a 5.56mm bullet in my back. Sure do make their metal detection equipment go to full weird! (g)

Giant

faustulus
April 3, 2003, 04:51 AM
Haven't heard that, but my friend knows Bob Pope so I will ask him. Seems a bit hard to do, what with everyone in there bringing a gun in and out the place. Not like they had any problems before so I don't know what would bring about the change. I will post something when I hear from my friend.

triggertime
April 3, 2003, 08:52 AM
Oleg: Its not a rumor. Starting April 12th, Bob Pope has a new set of rules for both vendors and patrons, "No loaded guns, period." Anyone coming in an out of the show will be wanded.

I seriously doubt I'll be attending this show...

April 3, 2003, 09:10 AM
I boycotted BOB POPE shows years ago when he bought into a strip joint and started running prostitues.

Oleg Volk
April 3, 2003, 09:55 AM
There's always the Fairgrounds show.

Bob Pope's Cellphone: (615) 218-5503 (no answer at this time)
Bob Pope's Info Line: (615) 391-2315 (recording)

Email: bobpopegunshows@aol.com

I'll mention that turning a gun show into an airport checkpoint is not appreciated. I also suspect that more administrative handling of firearms will lead to more NDs, just as it did at the last show.

Oleg Volk
April 3, 2003, 10:48 AM
Called him, had a long chat. Bob said that all patrons and dealers will be wanded and all guns will be tied because he won't get insurance otherwise. He thinks that every show will have that within a few weeks (though not sure about smaller shows like Fairgrounds). Some folks will keep on going to shows, I'll stick to the local FFLs as much as possible. Bob feels he has to do this to keep the show going at all.

Police officers, TBI, FBI, highway patrol and anyone else on duty or with local jurisdiction will be excluded.

It was good while it lasted...

glockten
April 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
Oleg, do you have any more info about that ND?

Betty
April 3, 2003, 10:52 AM
I'm not going to lift my shirt up or let someone feel me up when my metal body parts set the detectors off.

I won't be going to the Smyrna show anymore. Oh well.

:rolleyes:

glockten,
Some dipstick was "showing that his gun was unloaded" in the entrance of the show. He sent a .357 SIG into the floor. No injuries. Dipstick was banned from the show, no charges pressed.

Tamara
April 3, 2003, 10:56 AM
Bob said that all patrons and dealers will be wanded and all guns will be tied because he won't get insurance otherwise. He thinks that every show will have that within a few weeks (though not sure about smaller shows like Fairgrounds).

Uh, I'll believe that when I see it. Sounds to me like he was blowing smoke to try and keep your business.

We'll see, but I'll be willing to bet the next Holloway show has no such thing...

Oleg Volk
April 3, 2003, 10:58 AM
Oleg, do you have any more info about that ND?

Someone had an ND with a .357sig autoloader (apparently pulled the trigger while pointing it at the floor). No damage except to ears and drawers.

More on insurance issues: http://www.naas-info.org/ Mr. Hope says his hand was forced --- he'd not be able to do the show at all otherwise.

MoNsTeR
April 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
This is new?
No loaded guns have been allowed in Denver gun shows as long as I've been going. I figured it was common practice.

Betty
April 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
Mr. Pope,

I have enjoying coming to your show for quite some time now. Recently I heard that you are intending to wand all patrons for firearms before they enter your show.

I will not be a part of an insurance company's ignorance, or bear any collective responsibility for some careless gun owner's stupidity (I was standing about 25 feet from the negligent discharge at your show).

I am also not inclined to either lift my shirt up or have someone feel me up when my metal body parts set the detectors off. Any mishandling or public humiliation of a female patron may lead to yet another layer of troubles for you.

My decision has already been made - I will no longer come to your show.

Betty Wendt
Nashville, TN

triggertime
April 3, 2003, 01:01 PM
Remember that the Bob Pope gun show at the Tennessee Expo Center is being held on the same weekend as the Bill Goodman gun show at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds on April 12th and 13th.

I'm betting that Bill Goodman continues his show as usual with no wanding or ziptying of actions and Tamara's theory of smoke blowing holds true. :scrutiny:

Oleg Volk
April 3, 2003, 01:19 PM
We will find out. Goodman's show is closer to us, so I might drive out and see...or call ahead. Pope said that most shows will change over as their insurance contracts come up for renewal but wasn't sure if smaller shows, such as the Fairgrounds would follow. If that is so, then the Fairgrounds show may well grow at the expense of the Pope show. Time will tell. If all shows turn to this practice, I'll stick with local stores (those that do not have "no loaded guns inside" signs, as some do.)

Smurfslayer
April 3, 2003, 02:32 PM
I haven't heard of any metal detectors or wanding, but I am given to understand ( There was a thread on Packing.org last week ) the practically all VA shows prohibit loaded firearms, open or concealed. That's a big deal in VA, as there are very few places off limits by state law. VCDL leadership apparently is unphased by this so it's not likely to change.

I understand - you don't want a N.D. :banghead: but consider this - there's probably a lot higher chance of that by making people unload before entry...

There have been about 3 publicized N.D. of firearms recently, one resulted in a fatality. Insurance is probably an issue, and I don't know how much. I think that metal detectors & wanding will be the death of gun shows as we knew them... I can go to a gun shop and do better, be treated better AND most importantly, still lawfully carry my personal defense firearms of choice.

YMMV

Art Eatman
April 3, 2003, 03:49 PM
I had a table at the Odessa, Texas, gunshow last weekend. As usual, all guns being carried in were tie-wrapped, as were all guns on tables. There was no checking about CHLs. Boxed/bagged ammo on several tables...

The tie-wraps have become common since a number of years back, in Austintatious and Tallahassee that I know of. Outside of that, this is the first bit I've heard about "wanding". It sounds like Pope needs to ask around about another insurance company.

Art

Tamara
April 3, 2003, 04:23 PM
(those that do not have "no loaded guns inside" signs, as some do.)

You'd love the sign at one of our local shops (Gunsha... er, Guncraft): "No loaded guns. We support concealed carry: concealed weapons are to remain concealed." :D

cordex
April 3, 2003, 05:07 PM
Only show I attend with any regularity is the Indy 1500. Loaded firearms are prohibited, and there are two or three cops at a table by the door to tie guns.
Whenever the ticket taker asks "any guns?" I simply lift my shirt slightly and expose my empty belt in response.
That's all they need to know.

Wanding patrons is a good way to keep them out. I'm not sure how big the gun shows 'round there are, but up here they wouldn't have a chance in wanding everyone and still having a show. If they started, I just might "forget" about the numerous duct-taped links of chain on various parts of my body. Every dosh-garned time until they told me not to come back.

faustulus
April 4, 2003, 03:13 AM
Guess my confermation is a little late, needless to say I won't be going to any more shows. Not really a loss since his shows have pretty much gone down hill in the last few years.

April 4, 2003, 11:31 AM
I have been to at several shows in the past where an AD has occurred.

Twice in Nashville. One patron was struck in the butt from a ricochet at the Bill Goodman show in 1992 0r 1993?.That one involved a police officer with the Metro Davidson co police department that was working for a dealer at the time and demonstrating how safe the glock 10mm was that he was carrying. The gun went off when he attempted to re-insert his gun into his belt line. I will give him credit he addmited that he had his finger on the trigger.

The other Nashville incident was also at a Goodman show where an exhibitor had a loaded gun on his table and someone pulled the trigger.

At the Rex Curlie show in Memphis 2001 a patron was shot when a different patron brought a 45 acp to the door to be tie wrapped and inspected and the police officer cking guns at the door fumbled with it and it went off causing a patron who was with his 6 year old son to sustain a gunshot wound to the leg.

In 1987 , Bham Alabama a shot gun was discharged into the ceiling by a gun that was on an exhibitors table that he had just traded for. Someone picked up the gun and racked it and pulled the trigger.Only casualty there was a bunch of asbestos on the tables.It looked like a cocaine convention!

If you look at these incidents you can blame everyone that handled the weapons involved but a pattern emerges when you start to look at where the source comes from. They all came from the employees at the show or dealers not being responsible enough to ck the condition of the firearms or mishandling the firearms.

I can remember being a dumb 21 year old hitting the shows and picking up every gun I could find and snapping and clicking them.Most dealers will cut the strap in order for you ck the action of the firearm if you show a true intent of purchasing.For the most part I like the idea of all firearms being strapped but I don’t agree with wanding everyone at the door.Carry laws are in affect in TN and they should remain that way.

Oleg Volk
April 4, 2003, 11:35 AM
involved a police officer

They will be exempt under the new rules, too.

April 4, 2003, 11:38 AM
Scary,

On duty I can understand but off duty they need to follow the same rules if there is going to be wanding in place.

I’ve been at gun shows and gun shops in the past where patrons,citizens and cops will bring out a loaded gun and want to try out a holster.This is what gives responsible gun owners a bad name

April 5, 2003, 07:48 PM
Did anyone go this weekend?

Bowlcut
April 5, 2003, 08:15 PM
Hmmm i dont like the idea of wanding everyone. Thats just going to cause problems for everyone. But trying to be "safe" may be the way of life from here on out. Until something can be done about it. I doubt Ill drive down to Bob's show, but likely will hit the fairgrounds show.

Only way I would feel safe doing such thing as tie wraping and wanding is if they did them on a one on one basis in an enclosed room. Basicly make everyone go in with a cop and unload and tie wrap. Standing in front of a table on the floor with guns being pointed in all directions...makes me feel nervous if they are unloading and tie wraping.... Just keep them concealed dang it...

Standing Wolf
April 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
Lots of businesses hide behind imaginary "insurance requirements."

If entrepreneurs want me to trust them, they're going to have to trust me.

atek3
April 5, 2003, 08:44 PM
I like the Big Reno Show. If you have a ccw, you are good to go. Also the reno hilton kicks butt. people walking around the hallways w/ AR-15's on their backs and 1911's on their hips, it felt like I was in AMERICA.

atek3

Darrin
April 6, 2003, 10:55 PM
I just might "forget" about the numerous duct-taped links of chain on various parts of my body. Don't give me any ideas!! :evil:

MitchSchaft
April 6, 2003, 11:09 PM
Concealed carry laws are in affect in TN
I know what you're saying, but we dont have a concealed carry law :neener:.

April 7, 2003, 09:06 AM
Mitch,Do you work for POPE?

bogie
April 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
Y'all are lucky. The biggest show in St. Louis had someone get stupid with a little mousegun (popped the floor, and frags hit someone's leg), and no more gun shows inside the city limits.

MitchSchaft
April 7, 2003, 02:21 PM
I've never heard of POPE.

April 7, 2003, 05:02 PM
Bogie,I am afraid that is what the world is going to come to all over.

April 13, 2003, 02:47 PM
so did anyone go to the pope show?

triggertime
April 13, 2003, 03:01 PM
I didn't. I went to the Bill Goodman show at the fairgrounds instead. Guess what? Business was as usual, albeit a little dead. And just as I expected, there was no wanding and no action tying. I guess Bob Pope was blowing smoke afterall. ;) Tamara 1, Pope 0.

Darrin
April 13, 2003, 06:12 PM
Some guy I met at the Bill Goodman's show yesterday had just come from the Pope show and said it was dead there. Only about half the tables were full.

Betty
April 13, 2003, 06:19 PM
Two gun shows and Knob Creek on the same weekend - I'm sure the vendors though that was great planning. :rolleyes:

One vendor asked me, since he knew I was a regular, if I was ever going to go back to the Pope show (because of the wanding). I said nope, and explained why.

The Bill Goodman show wasn't very good. I didn't even buy another knife! :uhoh:

Sheslinger
April 13, 2003, 06:46 PM
The guy at the door at Bob Pope show had a wand but just asked Cslinger if he had a gun on him and we said no. So would any person who would not be telling the truth, I guess. They did not wand us.

Anyway, the show was really slow and several vendors said it was the worst ever. The prices, however, were pretty decent, I guess, in absence of customers.

Sheslinger

If you enjoyed reading about "Smyrna Gun Show in TN, will they have metal detectors at the door?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!