a Meat bullet?

PDA

othermarc
April 2, 2003, 10:46 PM
Why does my girlfriend watch CSI? I'm doing some reading here on THR and she's watching CSI where they've determined a person was fatally shot with a "meat bullet" that would disintegrate/absorb into the body.

Come on.... that's just silly. Everyone knows Pork would be better.

Do you think I could use a Howitzer at my next picnic? Pot roast, medium rare, load and FIRE!

If you enjoyed reading about "a Meat bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ahenry
April 2, 2003, 11:01 PM
they've determined a person was fatally shot with a "meat bullet" that would disintegrate/absorb into the body. How? And further, how does a thinking person think such a thing could occur? At least an “ice bullet” had pretenses of practicality, a “meat bullet” doesn’t make any sense. Unless I'm missing something here...

AR-10
April 2, 2003, 11:06 PM
Sounds like fantasy to me.

synoptic
April 2, 2003, 11:08 PM
hahaha, my girlfriend likes it too...
the idea seemed doable, the meat was frozen with "a touch of liquid nitrogen" The fake part was the shape of the bullet... looked like a hollow point. realistically, i would figure it was more of a flat bullet, shove the meat in, cut off the top, freeze it...

synoptic
April 2, 2003, 11:11 PM
thinking about it now, the meat would have to be VERY frozen to not blow apart when the gasses expanded, but i'll bet it could still do some damage

Mal H
April 2, 2003, 11:18 PM
Grissom put the ground beef in a bullet mold and froze it with liquid Nitrogen. The bullet looked very much like a Keith pattern. He loaded it with a Dillon press into a .38 Spcl case and fired it immediately into a cadaver. Looked feasible to me.

SquirrelNuts
April 2, 2003, 11:22 PM
I used to work with a man that reloaded. He made some wax bullets for a .38 that he wanted to fire in his back yard. He stacked up several layers of carpeting as a backdrop with something else solid behind it. He used only a primer and the wax bullets. He took one shot at the target, and the wax bullet went through the target, several layers of thick carpeting, through the other solid object, and hits the wall.

At close range, I would say anything can be lethal. I have seen some wooden practice rounds either in .308 or .30-06, which are lethal up to 20 feet or so. A piece of frozen meat should be able to do the same thing at close range. It is kind of like the straw that goes through a tree during a tornado.

-SquirrelNuts

John G
April 2, 2003, 11:29 PM
He he he. "Meat bullet."

AR-10
April 2, 2003, 11:35 PM
There was an article posted on the web sometime in the last year about some guy being killed by cigarette butts fired at close range from a black powder rifle. A true story.

A meat bullet stretches the imagination. It might be possible, I grant, but to have all the circumstances fall into place to make it a viable option...

Fantasy.

synoptic
April 2, 2003, 11:38 PM
some guy being killed by cigarette butts fired at close range from a black powder rifle

I read something about that on darwin awards, only the guys put the butt in front of a real bullet to make sure it left the barrel - needless to say, i think they got the award

scottgun
April 2, 2003, 11:39 PM
better than a beat mullet,
but seriously, how long until PETA decries 'no more meat bullets' How cruel; hunting with meat bullets, not only killing a harmless animal, but using a bullet made of animal flesh to do so. I LOVE IT!!!

samualt
April 2, 2003, 11:47 PM
A Meat Bullet is kinda dumb. But what is worse is that if the bullet killed someone then their body isn't going to absorb the bullet. A corpse has no metabolism! The pathologist would see the wound and find traces of hamburger meat everywhere! Although, there would be no rifling found.

I like the idea of an ice bullet better.

Mal H
April 2, 2003, 11:52 PM
"The pathologist would see the wound and find traces of hamburger meat everywhere!"

That is precisely what happened on the CSI episode.

SquirrelNuts
April 2, 2003, 11:54 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing about the ice bullet. Kind of like the riddle as a kid. Person is dead in a sealed room, no weapon, but there is a puddle of water next to them. How did they die? Knife made out of ice.

-SquirrelNuts

Frohickey
April 3, 2003, 12:16 AM
Meat bullet?!!!

Is this a rape case?

pax
April 3, 2003, 12:23 AM
Hey, all you guys who can't figure out why your girlfriends are watching CSI, lemme ask you a question:

Were you sitting on the couch, too?

pax

I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book. -- Groucho Marx

Rembrandt
April 3, 2003, 06:53 AM
...a meat bullet made of "pork" would be to Islamic terrorists what a silver bullet is to vampires..... :D

280PLUS
April 3, 2003, 06:57 AM
sounds like a potential simpson's episode with homer catching meat bullets in his teeth,

are there any salad or bread bullets?

brownie bullets?

mmmmmmmm...

:D

TarpleyG
April 3, 2003, 07:34 AM
Why would you want to use a meat bullet? Can't you just use a real bullet. Nothing would be covered up here.

GT

TallPine
April 3, 2003, 08:10 AM
He loaded it with a Dillon press into a .38 Spcl case and fired it immediately into a cadaver.

Useful on Halloween, maybe, when you are being chased by dead things ...? :rolleyes:

DragonRider
April 3, 2003, 08:36 AM
This is one of the three episodes I have seen of CSI. The meat bullet was frozen at the time of seating. The victim was shot shortly afterwards, and taken to a dead farm. Cross contaimanation of the trace evidence almost occurred. The things that led the downfall of the badguy was the meat on his press, and the grubs/maggots in the meat bullet.

John

Jack19
April 3, 2003, 08:39 AM
No meat bullets. Bovine DNA is still bovine DNA, and even if it's human, it better be theirs.

Edward429451
April 3, 2003, 08:39 AM
Sounds more like McGiver than bond. I could probably form them by swaging them, I've got nitrogen too but could I live it down when the misses walks in the war room and sees me feeding hamburger into my swaging press?:uhoh:

Prolly have to rotate the carry ammo 30 or 40 times a day. How to carry extra ammo? Belt pack with dry ice?

Hmmm, better not try to swage dry ice either.

I've heard of swaging powdered metal. Dunno if it'd powderize upon impact, prolly not.

Ol' Badger
April 3, 2003, 08:40 AM
I own a Meat Missle I can show her :D

dev_null
April 3, 2003, 09:04 AM
The ice bullet idea originally showed up in an Agatha Christie story about 50 - 60 years ago, I believe.

-0-

pax
April 3, 2003, 09:16 AM
I would hate to close this thread because of jokes which Art's Grammaw wouldn't like.

:scrutiny:

pax

Men show their character in nothing more clearly than what they think laughable. -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Carlos Cabeza
April 3, 2003, 09:48 AM
Gram'ma might say "I'll wash your mouth out with soap!"
I watched the episode but found it amusing. Pretty ingenious idea for a beef cutter bullet.

coonan357
April 3, 2003, 10:31 AM
we better be carefull out here McD'd might get an Idea and start marketing ammo .. you like some fries with that sir and how bout's a supersizing it ...:D

Horny Toad
April 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=101100

Horny Toad

scottgun
April 3, 2003, 11:34 AM
Protect yourself from meat bullets with a hat made of meat:
http://www.hatsofmeat.com/HatsofMeat/index.html

I wonder if they make meat body armor too?

Coronach
April 3, 2003, 11:38 AM
Meat is murder!

Mike :D

MJRW
April 3, 2003, 11:48 AM
Was this guy also armed with a ham grenade?

SquirrelNuts
April 3, 2003, 02:15 PM
I think it was actually a pineapple grenade.

-SquirrelNuts

dongun
April 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
What is the sectional density of a meat bullet? Its ballistic coefficient? What is the optimum barrel twist rate?

ajacobs
April 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
It is one of those fantastic times where they invent something impractical just to make the story more interesting. (obviously). If you don't want to leave evedence. Get rid of the gun. Use a shotgun. Use magsafe's. etc etc etc. I guess criminals are rarely criminals becuase they are smart.

SquirrelNuts
April 3, 2003, 02:54 PM
Is this an African or European meat bullet?

-SquirrelNuts

Frohickey
April 3, 2003, 04:09 PM
I guess criminals are rarely criminals becuase they are smart.

The dumb criminals are the ones out on the streets.

The smart criminals are in government. :D

esldude
April 3, 2003, 07:36 PM
Watched CSI twice before and seemed alright for entertainment.
But this show was pitiful.

I don't believe the meat bullet would work, ice bullet either.

Also the part about getting all the images off the photo. Total BS.
A photo print only has so much info on it. You cannot make some-
thing from nothing with any algorithm. First he focused it, then
got some finger print almost from it being in front of the lens.
Then got a reflection from the girl's eye's with enough detail to
see she was in a boat. BS, pure and simple.

vi9er
April 4, 2003, 12:10 PM
If its an african meat bullet, what is its average unladen velocity??
Ed

dev_null
April 4, 2003, 12:15 PM
Is that coconut meat?

-0-

coonan357
April 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
when you get shot with a meat bullet does that officially make you hamburger???:D

Ironbarr
April 4, 2003, 08:56 PM
Will that import case be marked "MC"?

Mad Cow?

Joe Gunns
April 4, 2003, 09:03 PM
Read a book in the '60's wherein the bad guy used a water filled gel-cap for a bullet. Stuck the gun in the vic's mouth and blew out the back of his pharynx. No bullet to find. The detective was really puzzled by the little gel scraps in the wound.

general
April 5, 2003, 12:58 AM
D:cuss: I nearly busted a gut laughing - a ham grenade?
:p :D Har har har har -
I am truly glad I found this place and you people!
:)

arinvolvo
April 5, 2003, 01:29 AM
My next gun is going to chambered in .357 pig.

Or maybe 9mm burger (luger) *sort of a stretch.

Or possibly 44 magYUM.

10 milliMEATer?

Ok Im done....

:rolleyes:

Jim March
April 5, 2003, 04:35 AM
What do you call a shootout wherein both sides are thusly armed?

A "swap meat"...

Nathaniel Firethorn
April 5, 2003, 06:56 AM
Never bring a spud gun to a meat fight!

Unless you want your just desserts.

- pdmoderator

If you enjoyed reading about "a Meat bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!