What was the first gun you ever held?

PDA

megatronrules
April 2, 2003, 11:22 PM
I was just thinking about this one what was the first real gun you've ever held who let you handle it and how old were you? For me it was a s&w model 60 snub nose .38 caliber revolver w/ wood s&w grips and a round butt :D I was 15 and a friend of mine who was older let me hold it after they unloaded it ofcourse.

It was so cool I remember it felt kinda heavy but not to much and it was then and there that kicked off my love of the s&w .38 snubby. So lets hear it guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "What was the first gun you ever held?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
megatronrules
April 2, 2003, 11:25 PM
moderator please move this post to general discussion as i put in hte wrong section.

Preacherman
April 2, 2003, 11:29 PM
Moved as per your request. We aim to please! :D

The first gun I ever held was a little Gecado .22 Short revolver that my dad had brought back from Germany as a souvenir of WWII. He let me shoot it when I was 9 or 10 years old. Quite accurate for a little tin gun with a 3" barrel... but would have a hard time penetrating anything much. It wouldn't even shoot through both sides of an empty 1960's-vintage beer can!

Arcli9ht
April 2, 2003, 11:30 PM
Some kind of 12 Gauge shotgun with the streetsweeper thing where you could hold down the trigger and keep pumping to fire off multiple shots. Didn't fire it, but the officer who brought it to my hunter education class let me play with it a little.

/Arcli9ht

SquirrelNuts
April 2, 2003, 11:34 PM
My uncle let me shoot his Beretta .25 when I was around 8 or 9. It was on the 4th of July. We went outside my grandmother's house and shot it into a bank of dirt. I still have the enpty brass.

-SquirrelNuts

Mal H
April 2, 2003, 11:48 PM
I think I was about 7 or 8. My dad took my brother and me to the range at El Toro MCB for a firearms class the Marines were giving for young Marine dependants. I recall clearly that the rifle was a single shot bolt action .22 rifle. I think it was a Savage, but not sure about that.

Funny thing about that couple of days. The scenes are still very clear to me so it obviously made a big impression on me. I even remember the sound of the very loud Range Safety Officer yelling in cadence, "C-e-a-s-e F-i-r-e, cease fire, open bolts, unload."

synoptic
April 2, 2003, 11:54 PM
Remington .22 at my dad's ROTC range. I was 10. Loved it

Jrob24
April 3, 2003, 12:07 AM
I think I was 12 when my dad let me handle his Beretta 21 in .22lr. I wish he still had it so I could see what kind of groups I could get today :)

TexasVet
April 3, 2003, 12:26 AM
The Mossberg 22 Bolt Action (with the neat fold down like a subgun front stock!) that my dad gave me for my 7th birthday. May of '53. He didn't even own a gun but thought that every boy needed to have one and learn to use it safely.
The next year my grandad gave me a .410 to go with it and taught me to bird hunt.
Only guns I ever fired until boot camp and the great BAR they let me play with on my first ship's boarding party.:D (I just got to load the 5 inch 38, they never let me fire it:( )

J Miller
April 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
The first real gun I ever held was a DA 38 snubby. I was about 5, and my mom was a meter maid in Farmington NM.

From looking at the pic with a magnafying glass it looks like a S&W Chief. The flutes are off centered making it a 5 shot, and it has a lug at the very end of the barrel.
The pic is dated 1957.

45R
April 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
IT was a Sig. I dont remember what caliber it was chambered in. Now I own one in 9mm

Tamara
April 3, 2003, 12:34 AM
I was a wee lass, maybe eleven or so, and the gun was a Polish Mauser rechambered in .30-'06.

Dex Sinister
April 3, 2003, 01:02 AM
A Makarov

modifiedbrowning
April 3, 2003, 01:11 AM
My brother's Sig 226 when I was 16. Still haven't fired that gun yet, but I have a 225 of my very own.

S_O_Laban
April 3, 2003, 01:23 AM
sheesze,... am I the only one that can't remember?:confused: I belive it was a flintlock pistol, I am just not sure. I do remember my first gun shop. Well maybe shop isn't the right word, shack/tent with dirt floor. All the gun and swords (lots of swords) were stacked butt down and leaning against the walls or hanging by rope/wire from poles on the ceiling. Did I mention the camels and goats parked outside?.... Kabul, Afganistan... 1974... I was eight

MJRW
April 3, 2003, 01:29 AM
.32 Colt 1903. Still trying to get that sucker out of my dad.

Sisco
April 3, 2003, 01:42 AM
That would be this one

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pb7798ed12ac2becfde786dc6a634951f/fcf75e9d.jpg

High Standard Double Nine.
My Dad let me shoot it when I was six or seven years old, some forty years ago. It's the first gun my kids shot, God willing and Hillary don't get elected president my grandkids will shoot it too.

Azrael256
April 3, 2003, 02:22 AM
Dad's S&W .44. I was still in diapers, and I was sitting in dad's lap at the kitchen table while he cleaned his guns. He finished with his .44, and reached for another gun. He looked down, and I was sucking on the Pachmayr grips. Hey, it made sense to me at the time. I was cutting my first teeth, and it hurt! Keep kids away from guns! They might put teethmarks in them :)

Kahr carrier
April 3, 2003, 03:56 AM
Browning 380.:)

atek3
April 3, 2003, 04:20 AM
Thats sad. I'm only 21 and I don't remember the first gun I fired. I was so little. Probably a .22 of some sort. I'll ask my dad and see if he remembers.

atek3

Feanaro
April 3, 2003, 04:39 AM
*puts on Southern accent*

Ma daddies Remin'ton elem hunerd. :)

dodge
April 3, 2003, 04:42 AM
Mine was my brother's Savage .22 single shot rifle. If I remember rightly I couldn't even hold it up to shot my dad had to hold up so I could sight it and pull the trigger must have beeen a 5 or 6 at the time. That was over 40 years ago and my memory has faded a little bit must be some of that old age creeping in. This started my live long love of firearms.

sm
April 3, 2003, 05:14 AM
Singer made 1911 GM

Shot it, saw it field stripped, put back together...been addicted ever since

Detritus
April 3, 2003, 05:48 AM
Ruger 10/22 at about age 10 or 11. was first shown the gun years earlier by my father but didn't get to shoot untill then (long story my mother had severe reservations about guns) this past Nov dad sent the gun to me b/c he doesn't use it anymore, except for needing a severe cleaning (dad had let it go for near 5 years without a deep clean) the gun still works fineafter over 30 years of use (gun is older than me)

Jack19
April 3, 2003, 06:13 AM
In 1967, an Erma P08 clone in .22.

cool45auto
April 3, 2003, 07:09 AM
J Miller: nice pic, that's cool.

My grandpa was a security gaurd a long time ago. His 38 revolver was the first gun I ever held.

TrapperReady
April 3, 2003, 07:44 AM
4 years old.

Walther P-38.

shermacman
April 3, 2003, 08:48 AM
A great-uncle on the farm in Missouri had me fire his Remington 12 gauge with a deer slug...I was 11 years old and didn't weigh any more than the gun. The target was a coffee can on a fence post. They howled as I landed on my back, I missed the can but had my revenge cuz the slug smashed the fence post nearly in half...!

WhoKnowsWho
April 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
Me, SIG P220 age 21

My wife, Charles Daly 1911 age 22

:)

coonan357
April 3, 2003, 10:56 AM
don't know the age maybe about 7 or 8 , papaws ( grandfathers ) glenfield marlin mdl 60 he bought it 2 days after I was born , this is the same gun my brother shot me in the leg with when I was 13 :cuss: , just last year papaw gave me the gun as he is now 81 years old , and didn't see the need to own it anymore , this is my most cherrished toy . as for first handgun? model 28 at ILEA in 1985 . couldn't hit the inside of a barn when I first shot it . but know I can atleast hit the roof ...:D

blackhawk2000
April 3, 2003, 11:05 AM
It was one of my Dad's friends hunting rifle. A 30.06 bolt action. Don't know make or model. I think I was around 10?

Ewok_Guy
April 3, 2003, 11:12 AM
Colt 1860 Army six shooter. First gun I ever shot as well.. think I was around 8? None of my friends could hold it up, much less shoot it like I could. :p

Master Blaster
April 3, 2003, 11:30 AM
Age 9 Dads old JC Higgins, Double barrel 20 gauge.

Found it in granpas closet, and put it together myself.

Ah the look on everyones face when I came down the stairs, at my grandparents house carrying it.

I knew better than to load it with the 20 year old shells I found in granpas desk.

My mom dropped a cinderblock.

:D :D :D :D :what:

JeFF D
April 3, 2003, 01:21 PM
Marlin mdl 60 I think.... or a Remington 1100.

cratz2
April 3, 2003, 01:29 PM
I think the first one I held was some sort of military Colt or S&W revolver in 45ACP. The person that introduced me to shooting only had about 5 handguns - the mentioned revolver, his beloved 1911, a little snub nose 38 and a couple others. I shot all three of them when I was 7 or 8. Guess that's why I've never quiet believed that the recoil from a 1911 would knock a full grown man on his butt. :rolleyes:

Bonker
April 3, 2003, 01:55 PM
I don't remember either !!!

I think it was the Marlin 22 Magnum bolt action that's still sitting in my safe although it might have been a mini-14.

Ala Dan
April 3, 2003, 02:22 PM
Greeting's All,

At about the age of 9, a life-long family friend let me
hold (and shoot) a Smith & Wesson .22 caliber "Kit
Gun" with a 4" barrel. This had to have been around
1956; or a little after? :cool: Fired a total of 6 rounds
and I can't remember hitting a darn thing!:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Mike Irwin
April 3, 2003, 03:21 PM
Probably my Father's Remington 521T when I was about 5.

Jesse H
April 3, 2003, 03:24 PM
Think it's my dad's .38 spl, charter arms undercover.

Don't shoot it much, the blueing is awful on it...think I'll hang on to it for that reason alone.

Grin&Barrett
April 3, 2003, 03:54 PM
A WWII Walther P38

280PLUS
April 3, 2003, 04:18 PM
probably dads old sears and roebuck .22 semi auto,

first hand gun was some beat up old colt .45 in boot camp.

after the first round i was like,"gee, that werent so bad"

:D

Kharn
April 3, 2003, 04:48 PM
.22 rifle when I was in Boy Scouts.

Kharn

CleverNickname
April 3, 2003, 05:23 PM
First gun I ever held was my dad's duty .357 when I was 7. First gun I ever shot was a .22 rifle at church camp. :D

blades67
April 3, 2003, 05:34 PM
A pair of 1873's and an 1894 rifle that came as a set, with holsters and strip caps. A birthday gift from my dad when I turned three.:D :neener: :D

Alpha752
April 3, 2003, 05:58 PM
First I ever held (becides my laser death ray toy guns) was a .22 bolt action rifle. I cant remember who made it. That was when I was about 15 and my mom freaked (she doesnt like guns). The first one when I started getting into them again (about 2 years ago) was a Browning .380.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 3, 2003, 07:35 PM
My dad's duty revolver, a Smith Model 65 if I recall correctly.

Wish I had a picture of this: When dad joined the Sheriff's department (the early '60s) dad says that the Sheriff carried a Colt single action.

I just love the idea of the county Sheriff bustin' them commie pinko reefer smokin' long hairs with a Colt single action.

Nightfall
April 3, 2003, 07:48 PM
When I was about 5 or so my father let me hold his .22 bolt action rifle. Basically it just sat in my lap and I fiddled with it. Apparently, according to my family, I shot it but I can't remember such. I have no idea why he had it, he never went shooting. Unfortunately, he gave it away to a friend for helping him move. About the same time I started showing an interest in it, too. Coincidence? :confused:

PlayTheAces
April 3, 2003, 08:11 PM
We were out in the garage and my dad pulled down something from the rafters that was wrapped in an old blanket. He removed the blanket and let me hold the 98 mauser he'd brought back from the war.

This must have been around 1960 when I was eight or so. I still remember how heavy it felt, and wondering how anyone could carry it around.

Soap
April 3, 2003, 08:31 PM
Winchester 9422 when I was five.

Black_Talon
April 3, 2003, 08:47 PM
I never held a gun until I was 11-12 years old, my parents were (are) bleeding heart liberal, rabid anti-gunners. They wouldn't even let me have toy guns when I was a kid. My uncle took me to the range when I was 11 or so and let me shoot his 22 High Standard and 6" K-38 Smith. I don't remember which I actally held first, probably the H-S.

gbran
April 3, 2003, 09:19 PM
My dad had me shooting his Marlin when I was eight and bought me Remmington 22 when I was 9. About a month ago, I let my 8 year old grandson shoot my S&W 625 (w/185gr JHP's) with my assistance.

Stevie-Ray
April 3, 2003, 09:29 PM
The Mossberg 22 Bolt Action (with the neat fold down like a subgun front stock!) I didn't know they made a bolt-action like that. My first was the Mossberg .22 with the fold down forend also, but it was a semi-auto with a 7 round magazine. Beautiful gun. I can't really remember which came first though. It's possible my first was my Dad's Colt pocket auto, which is now in my possession. I was around 10 in each case. My own first firearm didn't come til I was 11 or 12.

WilderBill
April 3, 2003, 11:01 PM
Grandad's Colt SSA, .38 Long Colt. Newest patent date was 1875!

Blackhawk
April 3, 2003, 11:08 PM
I don't really remember. I was very young and it wasn't a big deal.

drannor
April 4, 2003, 04:41 PM
I handled a M60, then a M16 during a tour of a National Guard facility/armoury at age 11. They made quite an impression, especially considering the M60's weight! (I was 11, gimme a break) The tour was part of a summer school class devoted to flight. We spent a great deal of time looking at the Army helicopters on hand, the weaponry portion of the tour was a bonus.

I don't think I handled a firearm again until shooting a girlfriend's S&W Chief's Special in .38spl when I was 21. My how things have changed since. :evil:

BerettaNut92
April 4, 2003, 05:29 PM
A not so secured .357 or .44 Magnum at my friend's not so secured dad's playroom. I think ammo was around 10-ish and it was a while ago and I don't remember how many safety rules I broke, if any. :banghead:

Waitone
April 4, 2003, 05:44 PM
300 Savage when I was 6 years old.

Cold, cold, cold.

Made targets the night before.

Would change nothing.

JohnBT
April 4, 2003, 06:40 PM
I don't have a clue.

My grandparents gave me a bb gun when I was five. Had a wall rack and a cleaning kit, too.

The first real gun was more than likely a .22 rifle belonging to my father, uncle, other uncle, cousin, other cousin, grandfather, one of 3 or 4 great uncles or somebody's neighbor. You should have asked a few years ago - maybe 30 or so - and I could have told you.

I do remember finally talking my father into letting me shoot his Model 12 20ga. when I was 5. He helped me hold it up and then caught the gun when it knocked me on my butt in the road. That happened in either late 1955 or early 1956.

John

Navy joe
April 4, 2003, 06:43 PM
Age 6, one of Berettas larger .22 autos, shooting at milkjugs. Hit first shot a 15ft, promptly violated two safety rules by dropping gun to side with finger on trigger so I could see what I hit. Even more promptly got dis-armed/backhanded to the ground... "It all happened so fast" So, I learned a little gun safety the hard way.

Age 7-8 took a shot or two with Colt SR70, nice big boom. I now own that gun, never sell it.

Mastrogiacomo
April 4, 2003, 06:47 PM
First gun I held and bought was a S&W 442 -- sold it. Second and third gun I held after the S&W was the Beretta. I imagine it'll be my fourth, fifth and sixth gun held before long...:D

Bainx
April 4, 2003, 09:21 PM
That would probably be my father's Luger P08. I still remember seeing the glass bottle shatter across the creek bed when I pulled the trigger!

TheLastBoyScout
April 4, 2003, 09:36 PM
AFAIK, It was a Marlin 880 series, modified to be single shot, at the rifle range of my first Boy Scout summer camp. Now I help introduce new shooters to it and its siblings up there as a staffer.

LMSG30
April 5, 2003, 12:37 AM
Colt 1903 .32 Pocket Pistol :)

makdaddy03
April 5, 2003, 01:14 AM
My first had to be a 12ga single shot shotgun. New England or H&R.

Combat-wombat
April 5, 2003, 02:56 AM
first gun I held/shot: marlin youth .22 single shot in boy scouts
first pistol I held/shot: Ruger Mk 1 .22
first centerfire pistol I held/shot: CZ-75 9mm

pahrumpcaveman
April 5, 2003, 08:08 AM
When I was a young kid I would help my dad reload . It was my job was to lube and then after the case was sized to wipe the lube off so I have been around guns and reloading all my life . I don't remember ever seeing a case tumbler so I guess I was it , hahaha . As for the first REAL gun I held I have no idea but I do remember my dad having a 44 mag single action we were both fond of . I never shot it back then but I did like to watch him shoot it . Man the flame and kick was impressive as I recall . I had two bb guns on a wooden gun rack as far back as I can remember , the good old Red Ryder . When I was about ten my uncle passed away and left me with a 22 bolt action of some sort so that was the first real gun I owned . Dad kept it in the gun cabinet but I would unscrew the hinges and take it out shooting when he was at work , hehehehe. I wore the firing pin out on it and he traded it at the local shop for a Marlin that would hold 12 rnd in the tube WOW !! You would have thought I was just handed an AR or something ,at the time I was impressed :)

Hand_Rifle_Guy
April 5, 2003, 09:56 AM
Mine is quite an odd story. Dunno how old I was. 1st. or 2nd. grade.

Went to friend's house after school one day. First he showed me RNL .45 ACP's bigger around than my fingers. He hadda handful and gave me couple. Had 'em for years, but lost 'em someplace.

After the rounds came something a bit more interesting: a paper bag full of parts. It was a 1911 that my buddy had somehow dis-assembled.

"All of a sudden this big spring just went 'twang' out of it. I dunno how I did it. I can't get it back together." was all he told me.

I think it took me about half an hour to figure out how to un-fieldstrip a 1911. :what: It was a neat puzzle. :eek: The hardest part was compressing the recoil spring back in and snapping the bushing in place. That took both hands and body weight. I was a skinny little kid.

I dunno if I got the slidestop through the link or not. Never seen a gun before then. But I got it to look like a gun again, instead of a bag of parts. I don't think I could've racked the slide, but I didn't try to. I didn't know you were supposed too. I remember the gun seemed huge, and heavy!

So we had a .45, and ammo, but we little first-graders didn't even THINK about shooting the thing. We knew it would be much too loud to get away with. Or I did, anyway.

I think my buddy showed the gun to his mom later, who apparently gave it too the police. I barely remember, as I didn't much care. I had satisfied any curiosity about that gun by putting it back together.

For the life of me, I never even knew where my buddy got the thing. Hindsight says he must have stolen it from someplace. (Rotten, larcenistic little wretch!) He was forever poking around in "abandoned" houses, as he called 'em. (There were some in the neighborhood back then.) He might have gotten it out of this converted schoolbus/RV he told me about. It'd had one of those skinny windows in the folding door broken out, and he could squeeze in. He had a pile of other stuff too, as I remember, just little kid loot, like the pack of round playing cards he gave me. A right angle flashlight, like the Scouts use. That sorta stuff.

And that .45. Little creep.

He said it was 'bandoned. I was too naive to recognize thieving when I saw it. I think I was six. That'd be about '73 or '74. Back when Palo Alto had a "seedy" side, on the wrong side of the tracks over by the adult bookstore, massage parlor, card room, 3 bars that were at the Stanford University 2-mile dry zone border, and the triple-x theatre. (Shhh, don't talk about that 'round here. Palo Alto's the Heart Of The Silicon Valley. Our motto is Gentrify, Gentrify, Gentrify! We COULDN'T have had a Colored Past, that contradicts my Liberal Wishes! We're ReSPECtable, I tell you!......It worked, too. Palo Alto had the most expensive real estate in the country not too long ago. Everyone in Palo Alto's a millionaire, provided you sell your house and leave. Or if'n you could afford to buy one.)

Haven't seen that guy for nigh on 25 years. Wonder if he's in jail? Hindsight gives me a 'spicion he robbed a Vet.:fire:

The rotten little fink. One of the first friends I had. Glad he didn't rub off on me.

Now I pick 'em better, hence my presence riding The High Road. :D

TheFrontRange
April 5, 2003, 10:36 AM
The first gun I ever held was my Dad's S&W Airweight Chief's Special. Of course, this was an "unauthorized" hold, as I had actually climbed to reach atop his dresser and found the gun still in its holster. I was four or five years old at the time...YIKES...but I found the gun so uninteresting with that ugly contraption (holster) around it I just set it back down and went back to play with my own, much cooler-looking toy guns.

Later I got to shoot another .38 Special snubbie, another S&W as I recall, under his supervision. :)

Stinger
April 5, 2003, 04:07 PM
This is my rifle, this is my gun :cool:

Stinger

Chuck Dye
April 5, 2003, 08:21 PM
First held? My Dad’s Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. I was perhaps 5 or 6. The pistol lived in a tobacco pouch in Dad’s dresser drawer. I can’t recall how I found it, but it was a secret magnet for years. Gun proof the kid, it is easier than kid proofing the gun.

First legitimate experience was a cousin’s J.C. Higgins .22 bolt action when I was 9. A plinking run to the dump. Kid 6, rats 0.

CB900F
April 5, 2003, 09:24 PM
Your not the only one who can't remember. I can't clearly remember how old I was either. On a guess I'd say about 5 years old. I know the gun was a .22 bolt rifle, but what it was is out the window. I know that my dad doesn't have it anymore. Since he isn't nearly as into firearms as I am, I'm also sure that he doesn't remember either. In fact, he may have borrowed it. But boy, the question here sure does bring back the memories.
900F

If you enjoyed reading about "What was the first gun you ever held?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!