Is a state abbreviation search possible?

PDA

OH25shooter
November 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
Is it possible to [SEARCH] a state abbreviation, i.e., OH, CA, PA? I was looking for guns F/S in Ohio and had no luck in that forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a state abbreviation search possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pwrtool45
November 22, 2005, 02:31 PM
Realizing I'm not staff...

Try searching for "(OH)" or "(CA)" or "(PA)"

The parens take the state abbreviation up to 4 characters, which is allowed by the vBulletin search function.

In your case, I would use the following search string: "ohio OR (OH)" , "california OR (CA)" etc. This returns posts with either the term "ohio" or the term "(OH)"

halvey
November 22, 2005, 03:10 PM
Try searching for "(OH)" or "(CA)" or "(PA)"

The parens take the state abbreviation up to 4 characters, which is allowed by the vBulletin search function.

Try searching "(WI)" and tell me if this thread comes up:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165281

Nope it doesn't.

Mal H
November 22, 2005, 07:04 PM
I believe parens (and many other non-alphanumeric characters) are ignored when searching. About the only way I know of would be to search for OH*, CA*, PA*, etc. The obvious drawback is that there are many terms that begin with CA and PA.

pax
November 22, 2005, 07:08 PM
Mal's right -- but if you limit your search to titles only, and limit it by forum, too -- and maybe put a date limit on it as well -- that should narrow your results down enough to be useful.

pax

OH25shooter
November 22, 2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I was trying to do a quick search of handguns sold in Ohio from the title forum: Buy, Sell and Trade: Handguns

Spot77
November 22, 2005, 08:19 PM
This is one of the reasons I always type out the word, "Maryland" in my posts or titles if the thread is directly MD related.

If you're posting something that you think people will want to reference later, I think its always a good idea to type your words out.

pwrtool45
November 22, 2005, 09:50 PM
Interesting. I used parens before as string characters in a vBulletin search and could have sworn they were respected. They say memory is the first thing to go.

Off the top of my head then: you can use search strings of two characters through Google. Try the following:

intitle:"WI" "buy, sell and trade: handguns" -"thread / thread starter" -"[archive]" site:thehighroad.org

However, any posts between now and the last time Google crawled THR will not be visible. Lag time appears to be several weeks, so this may or may not be of limited utility. AFAIK, If Google starts getting more hits on thehighroad.org it will start crawling it more frequently.

Mal H
November 23, 2005, 12:24 AM
That's a great tip, pwrtool45! I never thought of using Google to search here. Their search engine is much more user friendly. As you stated, about the only drawback is currency of posts.

mindpilot
November 23, 2005, 06:55 AM
that is very true!!!!!!

mindpilot
November 23, 2005, 07:32 AM
or is it ????:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a state abbreviation search possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!