Urine on Guns

PDA

TimboKhan
November 23, 2005, 03:20 AM
I think my old man is just having fun with me, but the other day I told him I was considering sending one of my pistols in to be diamond-koted, and he told me that if I wanted, he would do "like the mountain men did" and give my pistol a "rust-blue" coat, which apparently, and most importantly, involves peeing on the exposed metal. Is my old man pulling my leg, or is this something that has a basis in truth? He has the remarkable capacity to come up with these weird little nuggets of trivia, and this time I can't tell if he is joking or not......

If you enjoyed reading about "Urine on Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Rex
November 23, 2005, 03:25 AM
I think my old man is just having fun with me, but the other day I told him I was considering sending one of my pistols in to be diamond-koted, and he told me that if I wanted, he would do "like the mountain men did" and give my pistol a "rust-blue" coat, which apparently, and most importantly, involves peeing on the exposed metal. Is my old man pulling my leg, or is this something that has a basis in truth? He has the remarkable capacity to come up with these weird little nuggets of trivia, and this time I can't tell if he is joking or not......

Thank goodness he didn't tell you how to give your pistol a 'plum brown' finish.

Preacherman
November 23, 2005, 04:06 AM
Urea is acidic, and can indeed etch metal, but I don't know that the concentration in human urine is sufficient to do much... otherwise peeing would be a perpetually painful experience! :D

Kurush
November 23, 2005, 05:02 AM
Peeing on your gun will definitely give the steel an oxide finish, but it'll be red not blue :D

williamlayton
November 23, 2005, 06:38 AM
I think my leg is turning yellow.:)
Blessings

mindpilot
November 23, 2005, 06:40 AM
thats just not right!
:what:

mete
November 23, 2005, 06:41 AM
Peeing on metal can cause problems of corrosion. Nitrogen compounds [ammonia etc] will attack copper alloys. The uric acid will attack metals too. metals in warehouses etc have been destroyed by rats peeing on the metal.And I know of a heat exchanger destroyed by people peeing into it !

SomeKid
November 23, 2005, 07:51 AM
Urea is acidic, and can indeed etch metal, but I don't know that the concentration in human urine is sufficient to do much... otherwise peeing would be a perpetually painful experience! :D

I believe Urea (which becomes Ammonia) makes up about 5% of urine.

Who knows what Urine, Industrial/Pre-Industrial Europe, and mouthwash have in common?

Sleeping Dog
November 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
I don't know about rust-blue, but I'm positive it'll remove copper from the bore.

Just remember to wash your hands afterwards.

Regards.

(I always preferred blue guns. But from now on, I'm sticking with stainless steel) :)

Henry Bowman
November 23, 2005, 11:04 AM
Who knows what Urine, Industrial/Pre-Industrial Europe, and mouthwash have in common?I bet it involves a Frenchman.

f4t9r
November 23, 2005, 11:07 AM
Just say no

Better pissed off then pissed on

GunnySkox
November 23, 2005, 11:14 AM
Everytime someone posts a crazy thread or a pun on THR, God kills a kitten.

For the love of kittenity, think of the kittens!

:D

~GunnySkox
"I am a banana!"

rustymaggot
November 23, 2005, 11:14 AM
ive been told it was a old school, backwoods way to clean your gun after using corrosive ammo.

The Drew
November 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
you'd be better off using soap and water if you want to clean out corrosive salts... then running a patch through...

Delmar
November 23, 2005, 11:24 AM
A whiz-bang:what:

Geno
November 23, 2005, 11:27 AM
In WWII soldiers used this technique to "free" the frozen bolts of the Garands. Wizz wizz and rack the bolt. Personally, if it were that cold I'd be concerned about frostbite. It also was a "medical treatment" for certain soiled injuries. The days of old (300 years ago), urine was used to "bleach" white cloth. Urine combined with doo doo is still a procedure to remove fur from hide at tanners. There are some uses for this substance. :)

Doc2005

SomeKid
November 23, 2005, 11:31 AM
I bet it involves a Frenchman.

You reminded me of another one, but first the answer to my question.

Back before they had mouthwash, they still needed to keep their teeth clean and white. Ammonia would do this job. Where to get ammonia? Urine! That's right, urine was used as mouthwash! The whiter a persons teeth back then, the more piss he gargled.

Now, HB, you reminded me of this little WW I load of joy.

What did a full bladder, French troops, and Gas Warfare have in common? (Our Doughboys were smart enough to say No I might add.)

Justin
November 23, 2005, 11:58 AM
What did a full bladder, French troops, and Gas Warfare have in common? (Our Doughboys were smart enough to say No I might add.)

As I recall, in order to activate the French gas mask, you had to pee on it.

Everytime someone posts a crazy thread or a pun on THR, God kills a kitten.

What are you doing? Trying to encourage crazy threads on THR?

fisherman66
November 23, 2005, 01:03 PM
A whiz-bang

That's aweful, urine trouble.

paul45
November 23, 2005, 01:43 PM
Well...... I believe this is THEE most insane thread I have ever encountered.....just insane...:scrutiny:

mole
November 23, 2005, 02:08 PM
"Back before they had mouthwash, they still needed to keep their teeth clean and white. Ammonia would do this job. Where to get ammonia? Urine! That's right, urine was used as mouthwash! The whiter a persons teeth back then, the more piss he gargled."

My great-grandmother grew up in the backwoods in NC (some family members and homesteads are in the foxfire books). She said that it was common if a baby got sores or ulcers in their mouth for the mother to take a cloth diaper that the baby had peed on and use it to rub inside the mouth of the baby. Supposedly the ammonia would kill bacteria and speed up the healing. She said she never would have done it because it was gross to her, but she didn't know if it had been done to her.

I think urine was also used in the production of some blackpowder.

petrel800
November 23, 2005, 02:27 PM
Urea is acidic, and can indeed etch metal, but I don't know that the concentration in human urine is sufficient to do much... otherwise peeing would be a perpetually painful experience!

You mean its not supposed to burn! That's the last trip to Tiajiana I take for a long time.:D

SomeKid
November 23, 2005, 04:20 PM
Justin got it.

I don't know about you guys, but death might be preferable to sitting in a trench surrounded by guys covered in piss, while I myself had just recieved a golden shower.

Chawbaccer
November 23, 2005, 05:25 PM
It is called chamber lye, one of the top cleaners in the old days before petrolium solvents came along.

MNgoldenbear
November 23, 2005, 05:27 PM
A whiz-bang:what:
Dropping your drawers in public to do this would constitute a 'flash-whiz-bang'? :D

And yes, we do seem to be marching happily down the path marked "Sick, Twisted, and Wrong!" :D

michakav
November 23, 2005, 05:32 PM
you'd be better off using soap and water if you want to clean out corrosive salts... then running a patch through... I hope you mean the barrel!:eek:

svtruth
November 23, 2005, 05:39 PM
Do you have to recite "This is my rifle, this is my gun..." while you do it?

yomama
November 23, 2005, 05:43 PM
Can I get the make and serial number of this gun so I can make sure I NEVER buy it!!:) :neener:

markdaniel
November 23, 2005, 05:55 PM
I read an old journal where mountain men used to pee down their rifles to remove fouling from the black powder maybee this is what he is taling about.

joab
November 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
It was a common practice in the 70s an 80s among memorabilia forgers to soak replicated Nazis and Cibvil War collectable items in urine to age them.
I think urine was also used in the production of some blackpowder.

This was ent to me in an e-mail a few weeks ago

During the Civil War, the acute shortage of nitratesin the South prompted a Confederate official to place the following advertisement in a Selma, Alabama newspaper:

"The ladies of Selma are respectfully requested to preserve the chamber lye collected about the premises for the purposes of making nitre. Abarrel will be sent around daily to collect it. --

John Harrolson, Agent, Nitre Mining Bureau."

The ad inspired the following poem:

John Harrolson! John Harrolson!
You are a wretched creature.
You've added to this bloody war a new an awful feature.
You'd have us think while every man is bound to be a fighter,
The ladies, bless the dears, should save their P for nitre.

Where did you get the notion
To send your barrel 'round the town to gather up the lotion?
We thought the girls had work enough making shirts and kissing,
But you have put the pretty dears to patriotic pissing.

Do pray invent a neater
And somewhat more modest mode of making your saltpetre;
For 'tis an awful idea, John, gunpowdery and cranky,
That when a lady lifts her shift, she's killing off a Yankee.

The poem made it's way to the Union Army, where a
Yankee penned the following addendum:

We've read in song and story
How women's tears through all the years have moistened fields of glory.
But never was it told before amid such scenes of slaughter
Your Southern beauties dried their tears and went to making water.

No wonder that your boys are brave, who wouldn't be a fighter
If every time he fired his gun, he used his sweetheart's nitre;
And vice-versa, what would make a Yankee soldier sadder
Than dodging bullets fired from a pretty woman's bladder?

They say there was a subtle smell that lingered in that powder,
And as the smoke grew thicker and the din of battle louder,
That there was found to this compound one serious objection,
No soldier boy could sniff it without having an erection.

redneck2
November 23, 2005, 06:04 PM
I can't believe someone else didn't have the "real" answer.

Many of the older muzzle loaders were "browned" rather than blued. I have a replica of an 1850 Hatfield that is browned. From what I've read in rather reliable sources, the urine method was rather common.

Use animal fat (not petroleum) and get it hot, and the oil/grease soaks into the metal and makes it resistant to rust

rallyhound
November 23, 2005, 09:21 PM
As long as it is a Glock, I really dont see any harm

Preacherman
November 23, 2005, 10:27 PM
And Joab gets the winner's crown for this thread! :D

Borachon
November 23, 2005, 11:26 PM
Urine on Guns

P*** on that!

fisherman66
November 24, 2005, 12:20 AM
I'm in, if urine.

TimboKhan
November 24, 2005, 02:50 AM
Good Lord.... I got back on today to see if someone had actually responded to this, and I saw "32 Responses" and just started laughing. I don't know if you all noticed, but one guy actually said this is true! Seriously guys, my dad is a funny character, and every once in awhile he will just randomly spit some wierd fact out that he read in a magazine or something, so I am never sure... Ha Ha, I have now joined THR legend for this post! Yay Me!!!

gunsmith
November 24, 2005, 06:01 AM
as you p*** on his shoes

MountainPeak
November 24, 2005, 11:45 AM
A whiz-bang:what: Actually, Pee-Shooter!!:)

Delmar
November 24, 2005, 12:06 PM
Actually, Pee-Shooter!!

Whew-thanks, mountain-had me worried for a moment:what:

ChefJeff1
November 24, 2005, 08:53 PM
I pee on my CZ all the time and it works perfectly. Over 500 rounds without cleaning or anything and it keeps asking for more.

Firethorn
November 24, 2005, 09:02 PM
If you do some research, you can find many, well, 'industrial' uses for urine back in the early times.

fisherman66
November 24, 2005, 09:06 PM
If you do some research, you can find many, well, 'industrial' uses for urine back in the early times.

Why would they want old urine? j/k

Felting wool was a common use. It involved a process similar to a part of wine making.

If you enjoyed reading about "Urine on Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!