Ft Huachuca/Sierra Vista

PDA

wmenorr67
November 23, 2005, 01:16 PM
I am going to be at Ft Huachuca from the 4th through the 16th of Dec. Is there any ranges in the area that rent firearms?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ft Huachuca/Sierra Vista" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
November 23, 2005, 11:42 PM
I don't believe so. You might have to ride into Tucson to get some rental time at a range.

Try the Marksman on 29th, Jensens on Prince to name a couple. Bring your own ammo. They want too much for it there.

Old Fuff
November 24, 2005, 08:52 AM
No gun rentals, although there is an outdoor public shooting range in the area. Service personal having their own firearms may keep them on post, but they must be registered with the P.M. and stored in their arms room. There are at least two small gunshops in Sierra Vista and one in nearby Huachuca City. In general, the whole area is gun-friendly.

armoredman
November 24, 2005, 09:39 AM
Brand new public range on Rocket Strav on I-10 just south of Tucson.

Lennyjoe
November 24, 2005, 12:39 PM
Is that the one by the fair grounds?

If so I shoot there all the time. Great range control officers, plenty of lanes and good facilities.

Old Fuff, is there a gunshop in Sierra Vista that sells reloading stuff? I seen an add for 10MM bullets from a shop in Sierra Vista on ebay but lost the info. The prices were pretty good too.

wmenorr67
November 24, 2005, 12:59 PM
Unfortunatly I am only going to be there for a couple of weeks going to a school. I am going to be staying in a hotel and don't want to mess with the security issues on trying to keep a pistol secure while on post. And since I am going to be TDY I won't have an arms room available to secure it in. Plus being former active duty and being in charge of an arms room I wouldn't store a weapon in there unless I was in charge of it again.

Old Fuff
November 24, 2005, 04:08 PM
Lennyjoe:

I don't think it's a gunshop as such, but I believe that someone was running sort of a Internet/Mail Order outfit specializing in reloading components, and that they did have some good prices. I'll try to learn more ...

Lennyjoe
November 24, 2005, 05:04 PM
You can still carry open here if you dont have a CCW. As for entering post, you will have to unload the weapon and seperate the ammunition while on post.

wmenorr67
November 25, 2005, 03:37 PM
I do have CCW I just don't want to hassle with a weapon on post and I'm not going to leave one in a hotel room either.

hkmp5g17
November 25, 2005, 03:56 PM
There's a free public range between the Warren section of Bisbee and the Bisbee airport.:)

Anthony

Dick Dart
November 25, 2005, 07:28 PM
There is the one large public range on Highway 90 or 92 heading towards Tombstone. There is a Skeet and Trap range on Ft. Huachuca and I believe they rent shotguns. If you can take your own weapons with you I strongly urge you to do so; there are a multitude of little places in the desert where you can shoot. I was at Huachuca a few months ago and the problem wasn't finding a place to rent weapons...it was finding a decent hotel!! :cuss: Have a safe trip.

JCM298
November 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Lennyjoe,

This may be the place:

Thunder Mountain Custom Rifles
(520) 803-9584

http://www.thundermountaincustomrifle.com/business_opening_page.htm

He has a few tables at most of the Tucson gunshows,

John

Lennyjoe
November 26, 2005, 08:03 PM
That just might be the dude.

sigstroker
November 27, 2005, 03:48 AM
If you're living in a hotel, you can probably just let them know at the guard shack about a pistol when you go onto the post, and keep it locked in the trunk.

Or ask the hotel if they have safe storage in the office for valuables before you go. As was mentioned before, it's a fairly gun friendly area and they won't freak out at the sight of a pistol.

Or, make your way onto one of the many ranges on the post and see if you can scam some M16 trigger time. :)

P.S. One of the biggest gun shows in the country is in Phoenix the weekend before. See if you can sneak in an early flight.

Old Fuff
November 27, 2005, 08:24 AM
If you're living in a hotel, you can probably just let them know at the guard shack about a pistol when you go onto the post, and keep it locked in the trunk.
No way!! They'll take it, turn it over to the MP's - who will lock it up in their arms room, and you won't see it until after you leave the post.
Or ask the hotel if they have safe storage in the office for valuables before you go. As was mentioned before, it's a fairly gun friendly area and they won't freak out at the sight of a pistol.
Some of the better motels (don't think there are any true hotels) have safe storage, but I don't think they accept handguns. Otherwise they are "gun friendly" though.
Or, make your way onto one of the many ranges on the post and see if you can scam some M16 trigger time.
Highly unlikely! Any shooting with Uncle Sam's guns will be duty related.
P.S. One of the biggest gun shows in the country is in Phoenix the weekend before. See if you can sneak in an early flight.
This idea might have some merit. There are a lot of interesting places to visit in Arizona becides the Gun Show. One could use up a week very quickly. :D

Dick Dart
November 27, 2005, 10:50 AM
As for gun storage, one of the gun shops there did offer a storage service. This was some time ago and I think the shop has moved, It was called Sierra Vista Guns and was located just outside the main gate next to the Sorry Gulch Saloon (gotta visit the Gulch at least once). I think they moved or changed the name to All Custom Guns. Anyway, Old Fuff was right, the MP's will confiscate your weapons and while there are a few nicer hotels (if you can find room) I don't think they will secure weapons. Have a safe trip.

sigstroker
November 27, 2005, 08:00 PM
Seriously? When did that start, after 9/11? How do you get to the ranges to shoot matches or skeet or trap? Or is it just handguns they don't allow?

All Custom Firearms bought out Sierra Vista Guns. The vault is probably still there but you'd have to call to see if they're still offering the storage service. That puts you at the mercy of their business hours for access though.

The pistol range is not the greatest anyway. There's just an outdoor range with target frames. Unless they're holding a combat match or you know an RO, you won't be allowed to use the combat range. On the other hand, they run lots of matches of different kinds there, so if you're into that, you might try and find a contact to see what's scheduled.

The rifle range is better than average. There are no pits or anything like that, but it's a good 500 yards, maybe 600, with gongs at various distances.

hub
November 28, 2005, 07:32 AM
i havent been to ft. huachuca i a while. i lived there for two years 97 98 and didnt get any trigger time on any ranges. we (marines) couldnt qualify on their range and i don't remember anywhere to shoot on base. i guess i could of done some trap and skeet but like you said i would'nt leave my personal weapons in the armory. i think your best bet is to go off base. i would ask someone when you got there probably the mp's at the gate with out you weapons, the base is huge but only a little is used in a concentrated area. watch out for the uav's they like to do fly by's on unsuspected cars. don't forget to put your s--tbags on blimp watch. ohh yeah don't forget to go to tombstone it's only 14 miles away reenactments are kinda cool but cheezy at the same time. any way it's just cool to go to somewhere with that kind of history.

wmenorr67
November 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
I thank everyone for their input on this. I have found a room and luckly I am driving in so I will have wheels while in town. After reading all the responses on here it looks as if I won't be getting in any trigger time while in town.

sigstroker
November 29, 2005, 04:29 AM
There is one gun you might be able to rent. I didn't mention it before because they might not rent it to an out-of-towner, but maybe with a large enough deposit, they will. It won't be cheap. All Custom, which is right outside the main gate, used to rent an Armalite .50 BMG. If you do it, please don't shoot holes through the gongs at the range.

W Turner
November 29, 2005, 11:27 PM
I am visiting the Sierra Vista area right now for work and have been traveling back and forth since early October. I went to the indoor range on Prince in Tucson the last time I was here. It is pretty nice, although their ammo is high, go to wal-mart first. The range guy kinda came across as a private part, but given his line of work I can't blame him.

I plan on going to the big gun show in Phoenix this weekend, would be nice to meet up with a fellow THR member if possible. I plan on going saturday.

W

sigstroker
December 1, 2005, 01:29 AM
You should get out to the outdoor range down on Highway 90 on Sundays. They have a match of one sort or another almost every weekend. Sometimes it's IPSC-type on steel, sometimes cowboy action, sometimes prairie dog on steel, sometimes sniper at unknown distances. All Custom should have a schedule.

W Turner
December 1, 2005, 05:00 PM
Two questions....

1-Where/who is All Custom?

2-Where at on Hwy. 90?

W

wmenorr67
December 3, 2005, 08:10 PM
Well I made it into Sierra Vista about 2 this afternoon. It is some beautiful country. Went on post to try and find where I am to report in tomorrow and couldn't find it. Oh well I will leave early enough tomorrow and get near the place and ask for directions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ft Huachuca/Sierra Vista" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!