Stolen gun listing??????

PDA

Brian Williams
November 23, 2005, 05:02 PM
Is there a place or way to find if a gun is stolen???

If you enjoyed reading about "Stolen gun listing??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
huaco
November 23, 2005, 08:20 PM
I've looked into this a couple of times and found the answer to be no. A fellow at the range recently said he could get a friend of his who is a judge to do it. He said a judge could still pull it off but even LEOs can't access the database without backup documentation these days. That's what he said and it may be true. I'd like to hear otherwise.

fisherman66
November 23, 2005, 08:34 PM
Of course you could commit a crime with the gun, but that's a lot of hassle, lawyers and such.

I'm surprised there is not a more easily accessed database.

isp2605
November 23, 2005, 09:15 PM
Listing of stolen guns is in NCIC. You could probably call your local PD. However, they won't do it on the phone. They'll probably send someone out to look at it. Of course, if it is stolen it will be confiscated.
I don't know what kind of "back up documentation" that judge was talking about. If something has a serial number on it we can run it. Doesn't require any documentation.

Standing Wolf
November 23, 2005, 11:08 PM
That's something useful B.A.T.F.E. could do, if it weren't too busy...

jcs271
November 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
Don't know if this is hooked up with NCIC
but I will test it next time I recover a stolen gun. It is on the official Florida state web site.

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp

rock jock
November 24, 2005, 12:40 AM
Of course, if it is stolen it will be confiscated. I woud hope that as part of that confiscation they would also investigation who sold it to this gentleman.

keyhole
November 24, 2005, 01:24 AM
NCIC no problem, but if it is stolen, I want who ya got it from. MF'ers who stole it need to recieve their "just deserts".

I have done it for friends before. Some have had them come up "hot", and lost out on the funds paid out.( and investigated, to the guy who stole, or sold it) But hey, if it was my gun, I would want it back.

Anyways, those who stole, need to pay.

jsalcedo
November 24, 2005, 02:10 AM
A nationwide database of stolen guns would be terrific.

Then police departments could be forced to return stolen guns to their rightful owners no matter where in US they might be.

isp2605
November 24, 2005, 07:49 AM
A nationwide database of stolen guns would be terrific.

Then police departments could be forced to return stolen guns to their rightful owners no matter where in US they might be.

That's what NCIC is. It's only been around since the 1960s. I started working with it in 1971 and worked closely with one of the FBI agents who was on the development team. Anything with a serial number can be entered into NCIC. Also people. It's what the police check when they run a person or property.
And yes, Rock Jock, that's why it's confiscated. Then an investigation is done to see where it came from and hopefully it will lead back to who stole it. Almost always if you find the thief you'll also clear up multiple burglaries/robberies. If possible then the property can be returned to the rightful owner.

thatguy
November 24, 2005, 11:47 AM
I had the cops in another state call me two years ago about a stolen gun they had recovered. It was taken in 1986! So they must have some way of knowing. The detective asked me for a complete list of the missing guns saying he would make sure the database was current. If anyone happens across any of the following items I would appreciate hearing about it.

S&W M29-2 N306868 DWM Luger Dated 1918 4859
S&W M27-2 N392847 Manurhian P-38 223842
Colt Gold Cup 70N76880 1851 Colt replica 3012
Colt Python V24573 Remington O/U Derringer 53
Colt Diamondback D80674 Winchester M70 G1234135
Colt Frontier Scout 132214P Remingtom M30S 19485
Savage M72 A952825 Mossberg M500 H071780
Ithaca M51 510056499

isp2605
November 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
I had the cops in another state call me two years ago about a stolen gun they had recovered. It was taken in 1986! So they must have some way of knowing.

When a gun, or any item or person, is entered into NCIC it is entered by the agency reporting it. Also lists their case number, contact number, date of theft, plus some additional admin info. If you report a gun stolen today and 20 yrs from now a cop finds it during a traffic stop, NCIC will pop up with who is the reporting agency and all the additional info so the theft can be run down and the owner located. Been able to do that for over 35 yrs. States have a similiar computerized system that link into NCIC so a gun stolen in California will pop up stolen if it's run in Maine. Pretty basic, and long used, stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stolen gun listing??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!