Friendly reminder: do your homework before air travel w/firearms

PDA

grimjaw
November 24, 2005, 09:11 AM
Got my things packed up to go after reading Delta's website and rereading the TSA website. Delta gets as specific as saying how many firearms you can check for free (two rifles in one case, two pistols in one case, etc etc, I had to leave my AK47 at home :fire: ). Delta's website proclaims that ammunition and firearms can be transported in the same case, as long as the ammunition is packaged properly. However, SkyWest, my connection flight, does not allow this. SkyWest's website is delightly bereft of details about their policy on such things. I would have had to call. So don't make the same mistake I did! Call ahead.

The baggage handler didn't bother to take my keys long enough to let TSA frisk the gun case and then lock it. So the combo lock is the only thing keeping it from being pilfered. Also, he had me put the ammunition in my suitcase, which had to remain unlocked. :scrutiny:

I wouldn't have bothered to bring ammo at all, but I was worried about the availability of 9x18 Makarov in rural Arkansas.

So I'm sitting here wondering would it would take to get the, ahem, big-boned female security detail to use the taser on me. I need to be exhausted for the srest of the flight so I can sleep.

Happy Thanksgiving all. :cool:

jmm

If you enjoyed reading about "Friendly reminder: do your homework before air travel w/firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chad
November 24, 2005, 10:21 AM
I wish doing my homework was enough.
The airline employees need to do theirs.

Continental is so bad and so inconsistent in firearms handling that I don't fly with guns anymore.
Unfortunately they are also the best flight between El Paso and Florida...and I make the trip 2-3 times a month.

My fear is that they handle it so badly, violating TSA and Continental's regs in different ways every time, that I worry if my guns will be there when I land.

I have written to them with my complaints but received no response other than a form email saying they received it.

GRB
November 24, 2005, 10:31 AM
I just don't get it. I have flown Delta several times and made connecting flights to other airlines. I have not had recent big problems with them. They have never had me claim my baggage before going to another flight so that I would have to again clear security with it. Yet, it seems that maybe you imply such was done before you passed through some sort of checkpoint again at the SkyWest counter for your connecting flight. Or, are you saying that a Delta baggage handler at your first point of debarkation knew all of this about Skywest and arranged things to be amenable to their regs? Very strange indeed, either way. I do agree that you need to do your homework ahead of time as the rules and regulations difffer markedly from airline to airline, I am just surprised that one of delta's connecting partners would apply rules to you other than those of the primary carrier on which you started your flight. I guess that could be a royal pain in the butt.

rick_reno
November 24, 2005, 11:15 AM
I've simplified this problem even further - I DON"T FLY.

Flyboy
November 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
I have written to them with my complaints but received no response other than a form email saying they received it.
Do some research, get thoroughly familiar with the laws--you're going to need to cite them--and send your letter to their legal department.

They'll listen.

Car Knocker
November 24, 2005, 01:06 PM
Chad,

Email is too easily ignored and/or discarded by low-level employees. A physical letter mailed to someone in authority, such as the CEO, vice-president for customer service, legal department (as Flyboy noted), etc., is much more likely to receive a response. The response will likely be much more informed and thoughtful than anything you get from a CS drone with no authority.

November 24, 2005, 01:19 PM
Could you summerize briefly what is involved in flying with firearms ?
I am flying in two days. I intended to ship a few guns ahead of me by UPS but never got around to it. Now I am considering taking two muzzleloaders with me on the plane.
I am not flying the airlines you mention and it will be a direct flight.

Standing Wolf
November 24, 2005, 06:15 PM
Bush has had five years to replace Norman Mineta, a representative of the Democratic (sic) party.

Chad
November 25, 2005, 06:32 PM
Email is too easily ignored and/or discarded by low-level employees. A physical letter mailed to someone in authority, such as the CEO, vice-president for customer service, legal department (as Flyboy noted), etc., is much more likely to receive a response. The response will likely be much more informed and thoughtful than anything you get from a CS drone with no authority.

Do some research, get thoroughly familiar with the laws--you're going to need to cite them--and send your letter to their legal department.

They'll listen.

Yes...I will.
I'd like to see it done right by the airlines someday.

I've got guns on both ends now so I won't try again, unless it's a low priced firearm.

Chad
November 25, 2005, 06:34 PM
Could you summerize briefly what is involved in flying with firearms ?
I am flying in two days. I intended to ship a few guns ahead of me by UPS but never got around to it. Now I am considering taking two muzzleloaders with me on the plane.
I am not flying the airlines you mention and it will be a direct flight.
A good quick site with helpful links is at packing.org...
http://www.packing.org/airlines/

fisherman66
November 25, 2005, 06:41 PM
So I'm sitting here wondering would it would take to get the, ahem, big-boned female security detail to use the taser on me. I need to be exhausted for the srest of the flight so I can sleep.

You have some strange....ahem, interesting predilictions.

I hate connecting flights with different carriers. Hate it with a passion.

grimjaw
November 25, 2005, 07:16 PM
Or, are you saying that a Delta baggage handler at your first point of debarkation knew all of this about Skywest and arranged things to be amenable to their regs?

Glenn, I was on Delta Connection flights the whole trip. ASA/Skywest, so I don't think I dealt with a Delta baggage handler at all at my point of origin. There's only Delta Connection folks at that airport.

444, you can find most info you need to know at the TSA website, the website of your chosen airline, and by calling ahead to the airports where you intend to embark on your flights (not necessarily your connections). If the websites don't have information, they'll at least have numbers that you can call. When you have enough time, you can have them fax or mail you their official policy from corporate offices with their nice little letterhead on it that you can show to the uninformed at the counters.

You have some strange....ahem, interesting predilictions.

fisherman66, at 5:00AM after a night of no sleep, alot of odd things occur to me. I was actually checking out her duty weapon (some kind of full size Glock, 3rd gen), but the yellow Taser stuck out more because the yellow contrasted with her all black gear.

jmm

fisherman66
November 25, 2005, 07:28 PM
fisherman66, at 5:00AM after a night of no sleep, alot of odd things occur to me. I was actually checking out her duty weapon (some kind of full size Glock, 3rd gen), but the yellow Taser stuck out more because the yellow contrasted with her all black gear.

Jet lag and sleeplessness does strange things; as do hotel rooms and taxi drivers. Eventually big bone women in uniform inspire thoughts of S&M, or so I am told.

If you enjoyed reading about "Friendly reminder: do your homework before air travel w/firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!