Winchester .40 S&W Value Packs

PDA

WarMachine
November 24, 2005, 10:37 AM
I made a thread a few weeks awhile back about my struggles at choosing a new gun, and I couldn't decide if I wanted to go with a GLOCK, CZ-75, or XD. Anyway, while deciding, (after 3 months I still have not made up my mind which one I want :banghead: ) I have taken the time to do a lot of pricing on ammo. I am not a reloader, and the initial costs involved are too probitive at the moment. But I digress...

I have bought a bunch of the WWB 100 round packs of 9mm, and a few boxes of .45. Nine is of course is the cheapest at around 10.99 , and 45 is about 19.99. I assumed that the .40 ammo was 15 or so, but I have seen at two stores their .40 ammo priced at 18.99. That's a dollar less than .45 :scrutiny:

Has this always been the case, or have I just over looked it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .40 S&W Value Packs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
November 24, 2005, 11:03 AM
There are always variations but there is a significant savings if you buy a case [ 1000 rds] rather than boxes.If you shoot a lot ,like IPSC, the 1000 rds is the way to go.

WarMachine
November 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
What brand/supplier of case ammo do you recommend?

nfl1990
November 24, 2005, 11:26 AM
cheaperthandirt.com has all calibers, and quite a few brands of ammo, some are sold by the box, but a few are by the case.

Werewolf
November 24, 2005, 11:40 AM
It's been a while since I bought WWB .40S&W at Wally World but if it's selling now for $18 then that's $3 higher than it used to be.

.40S&W is a bit on the expensive side which I find strange considering it is the caliber of choice in PD's. Maybe they just aren't shooting enough of it to bring the price down.

FWIW in .40S&W S&B is cheaper and IMO better - especially out of a CZ (that's the brand CZ uses to test their firearms). Out of my CZ-75 about 1 in 10 WWB is what I'd consider a flier. No fliers with S&B. I also like the Speer Lawman brand for .40S&W.

Push comes to shove though reloading is the way to go if cost is an issue. You can reload 50 .40S&W for around $5 a batch assuming you save your brass.

ny32182
November 24, 2005, 03:00 PM
I use at *least* 100 rounds a month of WWB .40 in IDPA, and at the range... It is $16.xx around here per box. Especially after shipping costs, thats just as cheap as ordering online by the case.

Its plenty consistent through my .40cal Sigs. No problems to report whatsoever.

No_Brakes23
November 24, 2005, 09:43 PM
Here in SoCal, The .40S&W Val-paks go for for about $3-4 less than the .45ACP.

That is about $16/100 rounds versus $20/100 for .45ACP.

Not much cheaper, but a little bit. Over 500 rounds, it adds up. WWB is filthy stuff, though. I dislike the extra effort involved in cleaning up after using it. But it is reliable and inexpensive if one does not have the practical ability to reload or buy in bulk.

Doubt I will keep buying it after I start reloading.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .40 S&W Value Packs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!