Read: Crazy Idea - Gun Buy Backs Are Good

PDA

hso
November 24, 2005, 10:08 AM
Before anyone starts slavering and reacting to the "headline" on this thread I want you to read and think before responding.

Shooters aren't turning these guns in. Collectors aren't. It's folks that don't want them, aren't interested in taking care of them to hand down to family and aren't going to secure them against accidental discharge or theft. It's people without gun safes that aren't completely comfortable in having it in a box in the closet or in a sock drawer.

Regardless of the reasons local governments hold these things, they perform a service to the public in allowing people to "dispose" of unwanted firearms without having some snotty gunstore clerk snear at uncle Bob's old hogleg and tell them it ain't worth nuthin'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Read: Crazy Idea - Gun Buy Backs Are Good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
November 24, 2005, 10:12 AM
if someone is so lazy as to not be able to figure out how to run a classified ad in the local newspaper and get something for it, i guess the gun buybacks might as well be used.

Werewolf
November 24, 2005, 11:01 AM
That's a very convincing argument HSO and except for the fact that those doing the buy backs are using our tax dollars to do them you've mostly convinced me.

Maybe if after the buyback was done the gubmint doing it would hold an auction so the use of tax dollars would be offset...

Gunpacker
November 24, 2005, 11:07 AM
What a great idea Werewolf. Have a gun buyback, then sell the guns at a profit. I am sure that the $50 price they usually give would leave plenty of room for a profit margin. :)

bogie
November 24, 2005, 11:33 AM
I'd venture that the average person out there thinks that the gun that they've had on the top shelf of their closet since Aunt Ethel died is ILLEGAL. There's lots of folks who think that you have to register everything from BB guns on up, that you can't transport 'em, etc... Heck, there's folks who think that you have to tell cops the truth, or else...

What irritates me is the concept of a "buy BACK." That assumes that the government owned it in the first place. Bad.

I've seen several ads that essentially say "we'll transfer registration and take that nasty g-u-n off your hands for you, in a legal manner." These are going after the same uninformed people.

ceetee
November 24, 2005, 12:19 PM
Here's a twist:

How about instead of the cops buying them for $50 each, we pay the cops a nominal fee to make sure they're not stolen, then we get to buy them for $50 bucks instead. The money's coming out of the same pockets, but we actually get something in return...

ebd10
November 24, 2005, 12:53 PM
What would be the legality of having a private gun buyback? My friends and I have joked about having an "Adopt A Gun" program wherein people can turn in unwanted guns in exchange for some sort of gift card, and rest assured that each and every gun would be given a good home.:D

Jeeper
November 24, 2005, 12:58 PM
I remember reasin something a few years ago about a guy that did a "gun buy back" program. He just kept all of them after he ran the serial numbers.

Firethorn
November 24, 2005, 01:07 PM
That's a very convincing argument HSO and except for the fact that those doing the buy backs are using our tax dollars to do them you've mostly convinced me.

Maybe if after the buyback was done the gubmint doing it would hold an auction so the use of tax dollars would be offset...

+1

Radagast
November 24, 2005, 04:40 PM
As I lost a S&W 60, 640, 66 Glock 19, Beretta Elite, Tomcat, Para P16 & Bul M5 to the most recent compulsory 'buy back' here in Australia, I would recommend opposing the idea at any turn, Remember, the organisers will make it compulsory for you if they can.

Standing Wolf
November 24, 2005, 04:53 PM
Government has no authority to squander our hard-earned tax dollars on such stupid schemes, which benefit only those who are too dumb to be able to figure out how to drop a gun in a river or down a sewer grate.

taliv
November 24, 2005, 07:18 PM
for a minute there, i thought you were describing the lotteries

Gewehr98
November 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
Gun buy backs are an excellent means for bad guys to dispose of firearms previously used in the commission of crimes without fear of retribution. And they get paid for it, to boot. :fire:

psyopspec
November 24, 2005, 11:11 PM
If I had a bit more money, I'd be interested to find the results yielded by placing a classified ad for my Gun Adoption Service:

Legally rid yourself of old or unwanted firearms in exchange for a $30 Wal-Mart gift card. In home pick-up. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

(I'm not a super-fan of Wally world, but it would appeal to a wider demographic.)

You wouldn't even have to invest in the gift cards with any initial set amount. Just wait for a call, then go pick one up on your way to the site.

yorec
November 25, 2005, 02:08 AM
I like it, psyopspec! Too Bad no one in my area is unguneducated enough to fall for it...

psyopspec
November 25, 2005, 02:16 AM
I like it, psyopspec! Too Bad no one in my area is unguneducated enough to fall for it...

What, praytell, are you implying?:confused:

hso
November 25, 2005, 06:36 AM
So government gun buy = bad, non-gov = good because no public monies are involved. I can "see" that, but I don't see any private organizations stepping up to provide this public service.

I don't think the notion that criminals use "buy backs" as a means to dispose of firearms used in a crime is logical when they have plenty of no-contact-with-the-police ways to get rid of a gun (the aforementioned lake/river toss).

There's nothing that I'm aware of in Tennessee interfeering with an individual or group from running their own "buy back".

We can debate the semantics of calling it a "buy back" endlessly, but I'm sure that a better phrase like "firearms disposal" or "firearms trade" could be come up with.

Why let government destroy functional quality firearms when they can be resold or otherwise adopted?

Why doesn't GOA or NRA conduct a private "trade day" and give folks a way to get rid of unwanted firearms without having our tax money involved and the guns destroyed as a public service?

dracphelan
November 25, 2005, 07:22 AM
What would be the legality of having a private gun buyback? My friends and I have joked about having an "Adopt A Gun" program wherein people can turn in unwanted guns in exchange for some sort of gift card, and rest assured that each and every gun would be given a good home.:D

(If I remember correctly) A Dallas area church group did this in an "economically disadvantaged" area a couple of years ago. They then turned the firearms over for destruction. In the news piece on it, I saw the weapons being turned over to the police. Believe me, you wouldn't want to spend $50 on some of these.

benEzra
November 25, 2005, 07:29 AM
As I lost a S&W 60, 640, 66 Glock 19, Beretta Elite, Tomcat, Para P16 & Bul M5 to the most recent compulsory 'buy back' here in Australia, I would recommend opposing the idea at any turn, Remember, the organisers will make it compulsory for you if they can.

Very, very good point. There may indeed be a conditioning aspect to them...

atblis
November 25, 2005, 09:54 AM
How bout a nice pretty RG10 in 99% condition.

GRB
November 25, 2005, 10:18 AM
Before anyone starts slavering and reacting to the "headline" on this thread I want you to read and think before responding.I gave a lot of thought to your words before deciding to even grace them with a response, let alone before forming my response. I figure you must be joking and that was what you wanted us to figure out by thinking about it, however; if you are not actually joking then I figure that you don't have a clue about of what you write as it works out in real life.

Shooters aren't turning these guns in. Collectors aren't. It's folks that don't want them, aren't interested in taking care of them to hand down to family and aren't going to secure them against accidental discharge or theft. It's people without gun safes that aren't completely comfortable in having it in a box in the closet or in a sock drawer.While I find it hard to believe that you are serious in the above words, in the event that you are being serious allow me to point out:

1) Guns that are turned in are sometimes turned in by people who have stolen them. Yes some Gun Buy Backs as you call them stipulate that no questions will be asked about the origins of the firearms being surrendered. If you gave this some thought you might figure out that if people were inclined to steal guns in the first place, they may also be inclined to steal guns to get money for them - no questions asked.

2) Tax payer dollars are funding these buy backs. Why should anyone's hard earned dollars, that already go to pay for welfare, food stamps, and other programs from which that taxpayer will never receive a benefit (direct or indirect) now go to buying guns from hoodlums who wish to turn them for money in so they will have cash to go out and buy more crack to feed the habit that had them pilfering someone's home in the first place which resulted in them stealing guns?

3) As far as not having a snotty gun store clerk give them lip when someone who has an unwanted gun tries to sell it, the person seeking to rid themselves of a gun can do so on this website, on GunBroker.com, on various other auction sites, or can sell it to someone who would want to buy it. There is absolutely no shortage of people out there who want to make legitimate gun purchases.

4) If the gun is an illegal gun (one that is owned or possessed illegally for any reason) then the person who has it should be able to surrender it but WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EXPECTATION OFCOMPENSATION - for example if it is a stolen gun or has been used in the commission of a crime (other than possession of the gun without a permit). Of course, there should never be any requirement to turn in a firearm by law abiding citizens because a gun is not registered or permitted so longs as it is not stolen or has not been used in the commission of a crime because of our right to keep and bear arms. Any program in which people surrender guns to the government for free or for compensation as in a Gun Buy Back program is something that only helps to erode our right to keep and bear arms. When law abiding gun owners give into such political hoopla all we are doing is to help infringe our own rights by saying oh yes removing guns from the hands of law abiding people is a good thing. There never should have been any law in place in the first place that required people to register them therefor making owners of unregistered firearms some sort of criminal who now needs a no questions asked Gun Buy Back program.

Chawbaccer
November 25, 2005, 10:23 AM
The trouble with buy-backs is that the punk that stole your Python or 1911 will turn it in for maybe 50 bucks or a free pizza, no questions asked and then the gun gets melted down for a sewer cover, I want to keep alive the hope that someday I'll get my stolen goods back.

GRB
November 25, 2005, 10:30 AM
I forgot something else that is also pertinent to this topic:

Gun owner, Lee N. Field, recently bought a .22 rimfire rifle, quite legally, for the grand total of $65. The next time Big Inner City Police Department 20 miles from his home holds a Money For Guns program, or whatever they call it, should he drive from his home in AnyWhere, USA into the urban blight to turn it in and receive the $100 they would pay him? Hmm, let's do a little math, if Lee N. Field went out and bought 10 rifles for around the same price and then sold them all to the Big Inner City PD for $100 each well, Mr. Field would have profitted $350.00, over an above the cost of the rifles to him. That is a fairly nice profit for them and a ridiculous expenditure for the city involved. Even with gasoline prices what they are today, his expenses would amount to very little of that profit. You could almost supplement your income like that yet, for some reason it does not make Gun Buy Backs seem like a good idea to me.

Robert J McElwain
November 25, 2005, 10:37 AM
So government gun buy = bad, non-gov = good because no public monies are involved. I can "see" that, but I don't see any private organizations stepping up to provide this public service...........

There are several privately operated run gun buybacks and they do an excellent job. Two that come to mind are Gunsamerica.com and Gunbroker.com. They operate so easily that even a fool could do it. Or, as the ad says, "a caveman could do it". And nobody gets screwed. I've contributed several of my own dollars to these worthy causes.

Having the government do it only proves that we need further tax reductions because they're still wasting my money. We've got lousy schools, roads and bridges but they've got money to buy Uncle Joe's gun? How stupid is that?

Bob

Shooter973
November 25, 2005, 08:08 PM
How can there even be a Gun Buy Back? The Government never owned any of the Firearms that I have. Buy Back is s false statement!!!:cuss: And using my Tax dollars to do something that might be Un-constitutional is just wrong. The Govt. doesn't buy back cars, or empty whiskey bottles or needles!!! Why just guns when a lot of other things do more damage to society? :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Read: Crazy Idea - Gun Buy Backs Are Good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!