Most fun thing you've done w/ a gun.

PDA

MDG1976
November 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
In the spirit of the "Thing You've Never Done" thread, what's the single most fun thing you've done with a gun (keep it clean, folks)? For me, it's shooting a full auto surpressed Uzi.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most fun thing you've done w/ a gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryder
November 26, 2005, 12:08 AM
Crow hunting without a doubt.

Biker
November 26, 2005, 12:18 AM
Taking my 9 year old (at the time) step-son out to the country with a 10/22 and taking turns bouncing a pop can down a dirt road for a quarter mile or so.
Biker

Rupestris
November 26, 2005, 12:20 AM
Trap shooting.
I've been shooting handguns and rifles for a few years but shooting trap/clays is a hoot.
Before that it was shooting "reactive" targets with a .22. Paintballs glued to a piece of 1/4" luan/plywood.

grimjaw
November 26, 2005, 12:20 AM
Just some friendly competition with an old friend, shooting .22's at targets at about 50 yards. When we ran out of paper, we used plastic ketchup packets.

*SPLAT*

jmm

outofbattery
November 26, 2005, 12:23 AM
Years ago I had a Honda VF500 Interceptor which,as they do,dropped a valve and shagged the top end of a motor.I learned that if you shoot an aluminum head with a 7mm Ruger,it's actually possibly to cause combustion as believe it or not,there was a steady flame where the shot passed through!

SpookyPistolero
November 26, 2005, 12:26 AM
For me it was probably the home built dual crank fired 1919s. That was a blast. After all the work, getting to see the symphony of brass and links chiming into a pile is very worth it.

I'd like to try something like crow hunting though.

Harry Paget Flashman
November 26, 2005, 12:37 AM
Hunting jackrabbits up near Schurz, Nevada over a period of years with .22, .22 Hornet, .308, .357, 9mm, .44 mag, 12ga, and .45-70.

Clusive
November 26, 2005, 12:53 AM
Shooting big jugs of water with 12g slugs.

KriegHund
November 26, 2005, 12:57 AM
Rapid fire a 30 round mag from my Mini-14.

UberPhLuBB
November 26, 2005, 01:01 AM
I actually can't think of a specific aspect that is particularly fun. To me, everything gun-related is thuroughly enjoyable, even cleaning and looking at the checking account the day after I get a new gun. :D

Rezin
November 26, 2005, 01:04 AM
I learned guns in Marine Corps boot camp. Never fired before then that I recall.

I loved the Marine KD (Known Distance) Course with my M-16A2. I loved the whole "zen" approch to the slow fire segments, and really took to my 16 well. I also got to fire a few rounds thru a Ma Duece (.50cal) and had to hump the M-60 for a time too. (I loved my 7.62 moster ;))

But the MOST fun.......... Yea, I'll tell ya that story!

I'll never forget the one day we are lined up on the firing line. I am first on the far right side of the range.... We are firing something I had never heard of before... the M-19 (I think.. was many moons ago) It's still O dark-thirty, and they are just now getting us ready to learn of this new weapon.

We fired the stupid .22 converted AT-4 the day before, and I figured this was going to be as stupid and pointless as well...

Well, they brief us, and we learn it is a belt fed, butterfly trigger (like the .50) 40MM GRENADE launcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait... This is a machine gun. and instead of bullets, it fires grenades?

YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the sun starts to come up, and I look downrange. Some guys kinda got hosed for targets, like burned out APC's and other hard/unresponsive targets, like old amphibious vehicle shells and armored stuff....

Me. All the way on the end...

I had a BUS!

Yup, one of those old ass, white US Military buses. It still had (some) WINDOWS IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was the lucky cuss who got to destroy this *semi) pristine bit of target! well, pristine to destroy. It had no wheels... You could see where it was drug into place, and probably why iot was on the end, rather than the midle....

It turns out I was "demo recruit" I got to adjust the T&A and "walk" my shots in, with an audience of about 250 Marines/Recruits etc as they told how this beast works....

Some instruction, some yelling, some more yelling, and we are ready to demonstrate....

Fire round one. Doppler effect is an awesome thing when it's YOUR round/target.

So I see this big cloud of dust appear and rise about 45-50 feet in front of, and 8-10 feet to the left of target. *This was an unsighted shot, with the settings on the T&A that were there when I got there.

BOOM! A good second before the sound is heard....... Dust cleared.... Target remains....

The Bus mocked me. it actually called my mom a few names, and said there was no Santa. This bus, was going DOWN. I had a lot of pent up rage. (it's boot camp, it's supposed to do that,, lol)

Click, click on the T&A and I know about where I am at... Should be close.

Deress the butterfly for a second to fire one round.

Dead center, maybe 15 feet out..... Remember those windows I told you about? Only 1 or 2 remained.

I smiled. It was rare to smile in boot camp. That always stuck out to me. I grinned like a dork at the PMI and my Senior DI.. The PMI (Primary Marksmanship instructor) actually smiled back. Said soething like "tear it up" or "Tearm em apart" etc.

I pictured that bus full of my moronic platoon mates, you know, the ones that always get ya in toruble, the total screw ups etc? Yup, look at hem all in there! Yeah, I closed my eyes for a brief second, and imagined the Drill Instructors my recruiter and some other folks. I could picture there smiling faces in the windows lol.... (note, I am not mentally deranged, and I have probably embelished a LITTLE here, but the facts are indeed true ;))

Click, click. Depressd and HELD the trigger. The M-19 had a bit of recoil, but one round at a time wasn't too much, espeically with adjustments afterward.

I watched with starry eyes and a haunting stare/smile/drool as this bus just exploded, then the debris that was left...it exploded as the successive 4 rounds landed.

BOOM< BOOM< BOOM< BOOM........ The front of the bus went tubmbling to the left... another round hit very near that huge hunk of bus, and much smaller buslets out of it. I was awestruck. I wantedc to bark some kind of Apocolypse Now line, like "I love the sound of the M-19 in the morning...."

I don't remember anything else about that day...

I blew up a bus!

Stevie-Ray
November 26, 2005, 01:12 AM
Frog hunt. My brother-in-law and I armed with a Ruger RST-4 and a Marlin 60. Only 2 misses. Most fun I've ever had.

Moparmike
November 26, 2005, 02:44 AM
Cutting down trees (2in or less in diameter) with a .22.lr. Even at 20ft away, you get a lesson in accuracy you never thought you would get. You may be shooting at wood in there, but it just zips right through without doing much.

Lesson #1: LRN work much better than HP. HP is for when you have a nice cut in there and you are ready to start imparting energy instead of tearing away wood.

And a "dont worry" to those who may chide me about this, they were trees that were needing to be cut down. The fun way or a chainsaw, either way, it got done. And frankly, I am more worried about cutting my leg off than catching a ricochet.

Matthew748
November 26, 2005, 06:35 AM
I have had a lot of fun just plinking at misc. junk over the years. Paper tagets are fine for tracking accuracy, but they cannot compare with cans and other bits of rubbish for fun.

chipp
November 26, 2005, 07:08 AM
Great subject! I've been sitting here for 20 minutes smiling and tryng to decide.
When I was a teenager my friend and I both had tube fed marlin 22s. We used to buy a brick each every other weekend or so for a long time. we'd go out in the woods. After shooting 900 rounds a weekend for a while. you can hit anything.
I can't remember missing anything. We resorted to moving bottles. Don't you know a rat ran out from a board we stepped on, we each got about 6 shots at it starting from our feet and never hit it. That was pretty amazing.
Shot a catfish once in the belley that was pretty funny. my friend ate it.

MAURICE
November 26, 2005, 07:16 AM
Cutting down trees with .22s is always fun.
Imagine6 people lined up, each with a Marlin .22 or something of the like and chopping down a 6 inch tree over the course of ten minuted or so.
My little 25MN in .22mag was taking chunks out in comparison, but it was all fun nonetheless.

Full auto MP5 was probably the best. If only I had a spare fifteen grand laying around.

jamz
November 26, 2005, 07:23 AM
Shot a squash with a .44 mag, which made me giggle uncontrollably for about 30 seconds or so. :D Parts of that squash attained a very surprising altitude!

0James

one45auto
November 26, 2005, 07:38 AM
Pegged soda cans with a .357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk, and some were shaken up before being shot. :D

DirksterG30
November 26, 2005, 08:10 AM
Firing a full-auto MP-5. Too bad 9mm ammo isn't cheaper. $40 in ammo goes really fast!

pokey074
November 26, 2005, 08:43 AM
Rezin, that is seriously one of the best stories I've heard!

Declaration Day
November 26, 2005, 08:59 AM
Sometimes at my shooting range we'll blow up those small green Coleman propane canisters. We do this only when it is wet or there is snow on the ground. It's not very loud but it produces quite a fireball. Depending on where it is hit, it may even spin and launch a few feet.

It never gets old!

Jubei
November 26, 2005, 09:06 AM
I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die...no wait, that was Johnny Cash.

Actually, a buddy of mine used to deliver packages to the local Mega-Mall, one time he got his hands on about 6 mannequins that they were throwing away. We took them down to the range, dressed them up in some old clothes and had a blast. We started off serious enough, practicing shot placement, etc., but after awhile it was just full-tilt boogie to "kill" the big dummies. We must've been a sight, 2 semi-grown men giggling like school girls.

Jubei

6inch
November 26, 2005, 09:15 AM
Is a flame thrower a gun? :evil:

Oldtimer
November 26, 2005, 09:24 AM
Over-ripe watermelons, canteloupes and oranges, plus out-of-date eggs....at 100 yards....with 12-gauge slugs!

Helium-filled balloons, but with talcum (or other) powder in the balloon before you fill it with helium....12-gauge birdshot! (Be careful where you do this!)

For you full-auto enthusiasts, try this! We all know that full-auto weapons have a certain amount of muzzle climb. Well, the USMC was issued some "Reising" machineguns during WW-II, for field testing, but they had terrible muzzle climb. To alleviate the problem, a very sharp Marine un-clipped the butt-end of the sling, dropped it onto the ground and stepped on it. When he fired the weapon, it didn't climb in full-auto, due to the tautness on the sling. I showed that to a Marine squad-automatic man that was issued a full-auto M-14, and he loved it! At least it was controllable!

Len
November 26, 2005, 10:07 AM
Balancing tin cans on a four foot chunk of 2x2...competing against my nephews in a Ruger Single Six "quick draw" competition. Drawing from western rigs, try and get your can nailed first, dumping the other one off.

We've recently gone to spinner targets, but the old way was a hoot. Shot all day, got sunburnt, 22's can be used all day without breaking the bank...and it is the only way this old fart uncle can still impress the young pups.

Biker
November 26, 2005, 10:10 AM
I learned guns in Marine Corps boot camp. Never fired before then that I recall.

I loved the Marine KD (Known Distance) Course with my M-16A2. I loved the whole "zen" approch to the slow fire segments, and really took to my 16 well. I also got to fire a few rounds thru a Ma Duece (.50cal) and had to hump the M-60 for a time too. (I loved my 7.62 moster ;))

But the MOST fun.......... Yea, I'll tell ya that story!

I'll never forget the one day we are lined up on the firing line. I am first on the far right side of the range.... We are firing something I had never heard of before... the M-19 (I think.. was many moons ago) It's still O dark-thirty, and they are just now getting us ready to learn of this new weapon.

We fired the stupid .22 converted AT-4 the day before, and I figured this was going to be as stupid and pointless as well...

Well, they brief us, and we learn it is a belt fed, butterfly trigger (like the .50) 40MM GRENADE launcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait... This is a machine gun. and instead of bullets, it fires grenades?

YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the sun starts to come up, and I look downrange. Some guys kinda got hosed for targets, like burned out APC's and other hard/unresponsive targets, like old amphibious vehicle shells and armored stuff....

Me. All the way on the end...

I had a BUS!

Yup, one of those old ass, white US Military buses. It still had (some) WINDOWS IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was the lucky cuss who got to destroy this *semi) pristine bit of target! well, pristine to destroy. It had no wheels... You could see where it was drug into place, and probably why iot was on the end, rather than the midle....

It turns out I was "demo recruit" I got to adjust the T&A and "walk" my shots in, with an audience of about 250 Marines/Recruits etc as they told how this beast works....

Some instruction, some yelling, some more yelling, and we are ready to demonstrate....

Fire round one. Doppler effect is an awesome thing when it's YOUR round/target.

So I see this big cloud of dust appear and rise about 45-50 feet in front of, and 8-10 feet to the left of target. *This was an unsighted shot, with the settings on the T&A that were there when I got there.

BOOM! A good second before the sound is heard....... Dust cleared.... Target remains....

The Bus mocked me. it actually called my mom a few names, and said there was no Santa. This bus, was going DOWN. I had a lot of pent up rage. (it's boot camp, it's supposed to do that,, lol)

Click, click on the T&A and I know about where I am at... Should be close.

Deress the butterfly for a second to fire one round.

Dead center, maybe 15 feet out..... Remember those windows I told you about? Only 1 or 2 remained.

I smiled. It was rare to smile in boot camp. That always stuck out to me. I grinned like a dork at the PMI and my Senior DI.. The PMI (Primary Marksmanship instructor) actually smiled back. Said soething like "tear it up" or "Tearm em apart" etc.

I pictured that bus full of my moronic platoon mates, you know, the ones that always get ya in toruble, the total screw ups etc? Yup, look at hem all in there! Yeah, I closed my eyes for a brief second, and imagined the Drill Instructors my recruiter and some other folks. I could picture there smiling faces in the windows lol.... (note, I am not mentally deranged, and I have probably embelished a LITTLE here, but the facts are indeed true ;))

Click, click. Depressd and HELD the trigger. The M-19 had a bit of recoil, but one round at a time wasn't too much, espeically with adjustments afterward.

I watched with starry eyes and a haunting stare/smile/drool as this bus just exploded, then the debris that was left...it exploded as the successive 4 rounds landed.

BOOM< BOOM< BOOM< BOOM........ The front of the bus went tubmbling to the left... another round hit very near that huge hunk of bus, and much smaller buslets out of it. I was awestruck. I wantedc to bark some kind of Apocolypse Now line, like "I love the sound of the M-19 in the morning...."

I don't remember anything else about that day...

I blew up a bus!

Great story, Rezin. Git sum!!
Biker

GRB
November 26, 2005, 10:27 AM
Teaching my daughter and then my son how to shoot. Great memories, I could write a book about it.

The only thing that even comes close has been hunting. Taking my son hunting - I guess it ties the training to shoot thing. Another book of great memories is in the making.

Farnham
November 26, 2005, 10:28 AM
The Bus mocked me. it actually called my mom a few names, and said there was no Santa.

That's hilarious! Great story, Rezin, and it's the Mk-19 just for reference. (I got to shoot it too!)

I think the most fun I've had was shooting prairie dogs with my Dad and Grandpa or dove hunting with Dad.

The KD course in Boot Camp was pretty cool too, and "Weapons Week," like Rezin said, with the M-2, the Mk-19, the AT-4, -60s, -249s, and all that full auto goodness was the most relaxing part of Boot Camp.

S/F

Farnham

jondar
November 26, 2005, 02:50 PM
At 11 years old, taking my Winchester Single Shot .22 rifle and a box of shorts (LR's are cheaper now) and walking out to the city dump and shooting big, fat, juicy rats.

Black Majik
November 26, 2005, 02:52 PM
full auto M-16 @ 14
.50 BMG

williamlayton
November 27, 2005, 09:51 AM
HUMMMM-that post got lost in cyber space.
The days, when a kid, and landowners were not near as finnicky as now.
A high bluff over a creek or river and a brick of .22's.
All creatures, of the wild type, being fair game.
It is amazing that there are any turtles or varmits left.
Blessings

Pistol Toter
November 27, 2005, 10:09 AM
Well, I've done quite a few things that one could consider fun and being raised on a small farm in eastern Tennessee, the thinning out of crows as they endeavored to releave us of our corn and bean crop would be pretty high. I even managed to confuse them by calling them into me using my voice to mimick they cawing. The shooting of glass marbles from the top of fence posts was a favorite past time. But I guess that if I had to choose just one thing it would be the shooting of rats at the city dump. Many years ago a friend of mine and I would go the city dump in the city where I lived at the time. We would take our .22's and as the rats would run from place to place we would give them pure you know what. Cruel, you say and maybe some group like PETA or or ... whoever would take offense to our actions; but we surely were not hurting anything but to thin out the vermon and no way where we going to effect any ecological upset. It was a lot of fun!!! Good sportmanship and enjoyment can be had in our hobby if one is safe and considerate of others. Regards Pistol Toter

Gunpacker
November 27, 2005, 12:33 PM
Reactive silhouette matches of any kind in competition. You have the fear of failure, joy of success each time you hit, frustration and anger when you miss, and you get to shoot 40 rounds for each type. Like hunting, with a guaranteed number of shots. Much more fun than most hunting actually, since the targets are always tough. No 15 yard shots, only 25 yds min, at very small chickens. About 1 1/2 in tall. Yep, that competition will make you be a good shot. How can a hit on a full size deer at 30 yards compare. How can you miss one. In shooting, if there is no element of failure, you can't measure good shooting.

dch1978
November 27, 2005, 01:00 PM
Had 2 10/22's, a Marlin 60, a Lever, and an old springfield bolt action (by far the most accurate). Girl working the counter at Ace didn't realize that a brick should cost more than $1.19 (It shouldn't American Eagle...:barf: )

Bought them out and shot it all that afternoon 6 or 8 bricks for $12. A good day, but it took two hours to clean up the empty shot up paint cans and other garbage (on my own land)

magyvor
November 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
I took some friends shooting...they had never been. I only brought along a couple single action cowboy style 22 pistols, and a couple 22 rifles.

I let them get used to the pistols and rifles, and after they got confident and competent.............

I had told them we could have a contest....have someone stand behind you and toss a pop can over your head in front of you, and shoot it before it hit the ground. For safety...we were in a small canyon, a natural berm, so there was no way to have bullets flying out of control, and it was in the desert.

Anyways.......I could hit the can almost every single time.....my friends not once. Was I a great shot? nope....I had bird shot in my pistol, and never told them :)

It was enough to get them really into shooting, and I did fess up finally months later. They went with me all the time after that. :evil:

jaysouth
November 27, 2005, 01:07 PM
I got stuck in a rear eschelon job after getting out of the hospital. I was supposed to in the rear for four weeks before going back to the bush with my buddies.

There was a garbage dump just over the wire on our perimeter. One day I was late dumping garbage and got to the wire after dark. I alerted all the perimeter towers and got permission to proceed. When I pulled up to the dump, the area was alive with rats, millions of them feeding on garbage. I dumped and remarked to the outpost NCOIC something about the rats. "Yeah, they eat everyting, sure wish somebody would come out and kill them all cause they attract snakes too." I said "no s**t sarge, if me and a couple of my buddies came back tomorrow night, we could kill a bunch of rats and do you guys a favor"?

Bringemon, he said.;)

The next very night, I showed up with four other troops in a 3/4 to truck with several hundred loaded M-16 mags. We laid some sandbags on the ground and backed the rear end up so the headlights would shine down on the dump.

We lined up on each side of the truck. At the count of three, the headlights came on and we started blazing away. We each got about 30-40 rounds off on semi before the rats scattered. We turned off the lights and sat down for a smoke. We can hear dozens of injured rats screaming their heads off.

After a few minutes, we line up and turn the lights back on. This time there are dead and wounded rats being eaten by thousands of live rats who had returned. We lit em up again. This time the rats scampered off more quickly that last time. We turned off the lights and waited about a half hour. By this time we had been joined by several of the perimeter guard force who wanted to get in on the action. We turned on the lights again and lit em up some more. After two or three more evolutions of this, the officer of the perimeter guard came down and told us to knock it off for the night. His perimeter guard troops were probably having trouble staying awake at their posts.

We did this every night for the next week, we were joined by the guy from the red cross, the personnel Sgt-Major, both chaplins, airfarce zoomies from the weather station and dozens of other bored GIs. We found an M-60 and a couple of M-79s to join in on the fun. The perimeter guards were glad to give us their old ammo so they could draw new. We had so much fun that the powers that be said "enough", "stay in your own area after dark". We must have killed a million rats and I doubt if we put a dent in their population.

The snakes got so bad that the engineers tried to pave over the dump and move it to another location to move the snake food(rats) away from the perimeter. Never did work.

The First Sgt soon figured that I was fit enough to rejoin my buddies back out in the bush, to my relief.

Someday my grandkids will ask the old guy, "what did you do in the war?" I'll tell them about the time I shoveled s**t in Viet Nam.

Next:
How the Sgt Maj punished me by making me get on a stinkin, noisy, creaky old Huey as the door gunner to keep me out of trouble. (please don't throw me in that briar patch)

45Broomhandle
November 27, 2005, 01:34 PM
Back in the late '50s I lived in Colorado, just outside Woodland Park above Colorado Springs. I buddied around with a gun shop owner who's shop was alongside the highway just above the Ute Pass and the entrance to Pike's Peak. Across the road from his gun shop was a high, dirt embankment. Occasionally we'd set up targets against the bank to try out some of his guns. I had obtained a loose, old Nazi Polish 9mm Radom for $25 and he proceeded to make fun of it. (It even had bathing beauty photos under clear lucite grips - to make it even cheesier.) He was a 1911 fan so I challenged him to a shooting match between the two guns - shooting from his parking lot to the embankment across the highway (about 25-30 paces). To make the match more interesting we decided to use our prized Zippos as the targets. One shot each, or until one lighter was hit. He shot first and missed. My first shot with ugly old relic nailed his Zippo DEAD-CENTER! He never again hoo-hawed the old Radom, and I of course made sure all his "regulars" knew what happened to his Zippo. 45Broomhandle

http://www.hunt101.com/img/347092.jpg

Travis McGee
November 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
I'm going to leave out the full auto military stuff, that's in a separate category. I'd have to say shooting balloons on the open ocean. Hard to beat! You see your splashes to WAY out there, and when you hit your balloons, they disappear. Unless they "get away" out of range.

Gaiudo
November 28, 2005, 01:29 AM
I got a bunch of old half-full steel cans of shaving cream from a garage sale, along with some bottles of that expanding foam you see around telephone poles. Well.... it expanded. It was a good thing we put them out at 200yards, shooting a Ruger Mark V .223. They blew to high heaven, and scattered shaving cream all over the back fourty. We didn't do that with the expanding foam, 'cause its harder to clean up. We used those down in the quarry, where it didn't matter.... man that was fun.

hub
November 28, 2005, 06:05 AM
good post rezin, mark 19's are sooo cool to fire. i had no idea we had full auto grenade lanchers until i went to marine combat training. every shot looked like a golf balls flying out until it hit. the same day i got to shoot a m240golf, m249 saw, m203,and a bad azz .50 cal. i would have to say it was one of the best days i have ever had shooting until we had to carry all that crap home.(about 10 miles) if i can remember right just the barrel of the .50 weighed 40 pounds, not to mention our 16's and full gear.

entropy
November 28, 2005, 02:06 PM
Too many to list! Like Travis McGee, I'll leave out the full auto military stuff, just mention that shooting an M1A1 Thompson at 11 years old is COOL!:evil:

Taking my son on his first deer hunt this year, and witnessing his coolness and candor in passing up a fleeting shot in heavy timber many grown men would take, words cannot describe.

Shooting an Osama bin Laden target dead in the forehead at the turban line from 100 yards, then watching him (my son) put one between the eyes from 100 yards. :evil: (With the same rifle, a Mosin Nagant M91/30.)

Dropping a flying grouse with a .38 Spl., then acting like I do it all the time.

Shooting trap from the Weaver Stance with my 870 with a Pachmyr pistol grip on it. (Fun, but hard on the wrists.)

Not doubling, not tripling, but quadrupling on bluebills with one shot. OK, so I had to water swat two of them, but I couldn't make that shot again.

like jaysouth, shooting rats at the dump by our cabin. No M16's though, just a Remington 572 pump with a Weaver k2.5, and a brick of .22's, a good imagination, and pretending I was Gunny Hathcock.:D (Sin Loi, you VC rat!) I had the .22 frontier Scout for the close shots, and in case I was overrun by a regiment of NVA rats.;)

Winning $150 in an Annie Oakey by dusting a bird inches off the ground, knocking the other last four guys out in one fell swoop!:D

Hearing a basket case I fixed up fire correctly, or building one and firing it for the first time.

Watching my first deer drop in it's tracks will stay my favorite moment with a gun in my hand, though.

jsalcedo
November 28, 2005, 02:30 PM
The most fun I've ever had was shooting up an old rambler that was abandoned in a dry creek bed.

We used my M1891 with ball ammo and proceded to blow the wheels off with well placed shots to grease caps.

A Taurus .357 took out the mirrors, headlights and turn indicators.

We used the SKS strafe the sheet metal .

A great day indeed

ReadyontheRight
November 28, 2005, 02:37 PM
Shooting a Garand in the National Trophy Infantry Trophy Match.:D

50 seconds at 600, 500, 300 and 200 yards. As fast as you can load and shoot.:D :D

TooTaxed
November 28, 2005, 03:22 PM
Couldn't decide between a couple, so I'll mention them both!

When I was in the Army Reserve, a buddy and I decided to go out for the Division Rifle Team. When we showed up at the range for the try-outs, we were amazed to see the experienced shooters making repeated trips to the firing line with arm loads and wagons of fancy shooting equipment...pads, jackets, spotting scopes, ect...while all we had brought with us were our Garands, regular issue billed fatigue hats, and a shelter half to lie on. So we shook our heads, wrote that match off and just fired against each other. And were as amazed as everyone else when we both made the team!! TRULY one of life's better moments!:D

The other was the one time I got an opportunity to fire one of the old quad .50 AA mounts on a half-track. The mount is powered by a little Briggs & Stratton engine. LOTS of fun...you sit in a tub with a couple of the guns close on both sides of you, and with a single spade grip fire all of 'em full auto at a radio-controlled drone. Sensory overload! I used the sight just to start, then just watched the tracers and pulled them through and beyond the RCAT...and hit it! The engine quit and a parachute lowered the carcass, to the cheers of everyone in sight. Icing on the cake...the solenoids on my guns were about "shot", so although I started with four guns, when I hit the RCAT I only had one left!!:D

Also had a lot of fun volunteering as radioman on one of the twin-40-mm mounts on a Walker tank chassis...M42...got to stand on the tank just behind the gun tub and watch over the guns as they fired...first one on semi-auto until the gunners got the range, then flip the switch and rock and roll on both! When a RCAT got hit, there was just one big ball of fire!:p

woerm
November 28, 2005, 04:01 PM
use of firearm,

frog hunt with single shot .22

finest moment w/ firearm,

rebuilding a 90 year old pistol and it runs like new:) , still looks like raw fertilizer :uhoh: but it runs fine. reblue when $ and time permit. It's my carry piece and I'd have to get something better to use while it is out of commission.

r

yesterdaysyouth
November 28, 2005, 04:07 PM
tannerite and pond mud
tannerite and mufflers
tannerite and pumpkins
tannerite and sealed paper cores
tannerite and ????

sm
November 28, 2005, 04:12 PM
Never fired a shot.

Duck Hunting in flooded timber, it had snowed the night before. We arrived by boat and had a floating open blind. Think a bench seat with a dog platform.

It started snowing again, the guns were uncased, as shooting time approached, greenheads were coming in, and the caller had yet to call. The greenheads kept coming in - the snow falling harder.

The dog is looking out just over the dekes perfect poise, waiting for a shotgun blast and felled duck to retrieve.

We are being covered up by ducks and snow. The dogs owner and I in the blind raise up, safeties snicked off...snicked back on. The dog looks back - he knows, he understands. He comes into the blind and onto the seat between us as we unload shotguns and case them.

The caller just off to the left wades in, stops by the johnboat, retrieves a duffle.

We shared chicken broth with a dog, we shared the blankets. We took pictures. We sat there for 2 hours with really heavy snow coming down and the greenheads pouring in. Totally covered up in snow and ducks, and we just sat there in awe and took in all in.

Nobody spoke, not even the dog. He took was fixated, in awe. We finally decided to leave, a few ducks startled, they just moved over to allow to wade to johnboat. Out of respect - we paddled away before starting the motor.

We never said a word until we reached the duck camp, and that was more of a grunt pulling the boat up onto shore.

3 guys and a dog, in duck camp , sometimes glancing over to one another, eyes relating a shared expereince, sipping coffee, appreciating the warmth of wooden stove. No words spoken - the eyes said it all.

We all dozed off, later went into town for lunch. When asked how'd we do that morning.."We limited out for sure" said the caller".

Indeed we had, and we never fired a shot.

johnmcl
November 28, 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

Like so many here, there's a ton of fun stories in my 47 years, but one of the most cool is the setting of a WWII Ambush for dogs.

Ok, some background information is in order. I had a friend who's farm in upstate NY was having a feral dog problem. A pack of approx 20 dogs had taken up residence and were raising hell with livestock. Four of us took a couple of days off to to help out with the problem.

After two days we had the pack whittled down, but the biggest and smartest were still at large. To put an end to this problem we had devised and ambush with bait and all. Then someone came up with the idea of a WWII ambush. The next day found us with two Garands and two M1 Carbines from firing pits with converging fields of fire. There were even radio phones between the pits. (Ok, they were modern walkie talkies, but we *imagined* them as field phones...)

It took two hours to spring the ambush, but we had much more fun than the six dogs for that last 30 seconds.

John

ctdonath
November 28, 2005, 10:41 PM
Mossberg 590 14" AOW + pumpkin + about 6 ft. Time stopped. I was inside a great orange mist. Wow...

Steyr Scout .308 + man-sized metal targets + >900m. Storm Mountain is a great school.

Glock 17 + ball ammo + golf ball. Latter rolled forward slightly. Slicing in half with bandsaw showed round went thru, yet hardly disturbed it. Strange juxtaposition.

Dr.Rob
November 29, 2005, 01:59 PM
Full Auto BAR .... oh great googedly moogedly. :eek:

That's one fun rifle to play with. Shooting up cars, explosive reactive targets, propane tanks, etc. Thanks to the annual .50 cal and machine gun shoot in Colorado... way way fun.

PressCheck
November 29, 2005, 05:00 PM
Shooting a MG42 off of a buddies back porch. Oviously not in Kali.

oweno
November 29, 2005, 05:43 PM
Shooting a large, frozen solid pumpkin with my .303 Savage.

It was impressive.

Mr_Moore
November 29, 2005, 06:46 PM
It was a .22 lr semiauto pistol I was using. I do not remember how many 10 shot clips I used before it fell over.

V4Vendetta
January 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
Firing a full auto Thompson. YEAH BABY!!!:cool:

rero360
January 3, 2006, 08:36 PM
hmm....besides blasting over a thousand rounds through a M2, or 160 rounds through the MK19, and being able to freegun it. I would have to say its a tie between the button buck I got this year, opening day, 150 yards, remington 11-87 12guage with rifled barrel, iron sights, dropped the deer in his tracks, the perfect shot. the other would have to be shooting an old CRT computer monitor with my .308 at about 25 yards, no marksmanship involved just plain fun shooting it, it was pretty cool when the rounds started hitting the magnet in the back and smoke would come boiling out.

colt.45
January 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
my dad has a friend in the fbi, so he has access to a bunch of guns. man shooting 10 watermelons with a tommygun and a 12 guage was priceless, 12 guage blew em up good:eek:

chrisTx
January 3, 2006, 08:52 PM
sitting on the banks of a stock pond vaporizing dragonflies with a 12 ga.

shooting paint cans. my how they explode in pretty colors.

lawson
January 3, 2006, 09:10 PM
call me old fashioned, but i think the most fun i've ever had with a gun was harvesting that first buck.

another amusing time involved an old stump, a railroad spike, and my dad's custom Remington falling block 45/70. it took a few rounds, but we eventually drove that spike in.

VARifleman
January 3, 2006, 11:01 PM
I shot the NC state prone (.22) championship in Asheville over Labor day weekend. First two days were normal prone matches. On labor day though, we shot the "Long Range Conventional Smallbore Championship" where we shot 100 yds and 200 yds instead of 50 and 100. All the 100 yd stages go well, then out to 200 yds, and I find out that my scope will not adjust past a two minutes above my 100 yd zero. So I had to shoot 60 record shots holding 30" high at 200.

I dropped 10 points total that day, 8 on metric 100, 2 on 200. :D

f4t9r
January 3, 2006, 11:15 PM
There has been lots of good times
Really like shooting AR15 at full paint cans and taking my son out to shoot is always fun

V4Vendetta
January 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
Blowing away a empty 12oz soda can at 50 yards with a shotgun.:cool:

George S.
January 4, 2006, 12:26 AM
What my buddies and I did once was more stupid than fun, but we thought it was fun at the time.

We were out with our .22's in a big open gravel pit one day and it had been raining pretty hard and was still sprinkling. We had run out of the stuff we had brought to shoot (full pop cans, old areosol cans, and assorted bottles) so we found an old 1-pound coffee can that hadn't been shot up. We took the can and filled it up with gasoline we had in a spare gas can.

Took it out about 30 yards and lit the gasoline. this was actually a tough job as when we tried to toss a match into the can, it would simply go out. So we lit a stick and used that to ignite the gasoline.

We walked back the 30 yards or so and began to shoot at the lit can :eek: The first round hit the center of the can and that resulted in a fireball about 10 feet across and maybe 15 feet high! The force of the bullet caused the gasoline to spray everywhere and because the surface was on fire the whole thing erupted. Once we realized that the black smoke from the fireball was climbing about 100 feet in the air, we decided it was time to remove ourselves from the area (quickly)! Haven't done that since, and that was 20 years ago.

hillbilly
January 4, 2006, 12:31 AM
Too many to list.

I'll pick just one.

The very first time I connected with a steel silhouette 1000 yards away with my custom rifle that had been stolen, and then recovered at a gun show 18 months later.

The best part was that the instructors at the shooting school I was at singled me out for the shot in front of the rest of the class.

I had not gotten to shoot at 1000 yards because the person I was paired with (shooter--spotter doctrine is key at this school) had had major problems all afternoon. I spent so much time as his spotter, that I didn't get to be the shooter.

So at the very end of the day, the instructors halted everything on the line, put me onto the 1000 yard target, and gave me the appropriate come-ups and wind call for the shot.

Bang (five or six second pause) clang!

I needed a cigarette afterwards.......and I don't smoke cigarettes.

hillbilly

blacksuit
January 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
I was a gunner on a M1A1 main battle tank for about 2yrs. Without a doubt firing that 120mm was the greatest! :neener:

Hemicuda
January 4, 2006, 12:45 PM
5-stand at my local sporting-clays range, with a stoeger 12 ga. coachgun, breaking better than 90%, while the other 4 stands have guys with 1200 dollar stack-barrels, and are running 75% or worse...

peoria46
January 5, 2006, 09:10 PM
Investigating whether or not a 308 Accelerator round would detonate a block of C4 (a plan hatched by the demo and weapons sergeants while training at Mott Lake). The rounds didn't, even though they were supposed to go fast enough.

danurve
January 6, 2006, 11:36 AM
Taking my daughter & son to the range for the first time.

Nail Shooter
January 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
Was out plinking on a beautiful, hot, sunny afternoon several yrs ago with the wife and at least one other couple. Had target papers stapled to the backstop board at 7yds. A fly landed on my paper, and I said to all: "I'll shoot that fly on THIS shot." The Sig P245 went bang, and we actually saw the bug fall. We all walked down range to look at the paper, and sure enough--bug guts splattered adjacent to the hole. Did it three times that afternoon, called each shot, one bullet apiece. Laughed so hard I didn't know if I'd ever steady up enough to take another shot. :D

Saved the target paper and took digital pics of the carnage, but don't know how to post pics yet.

adaman04
January 7, 2006, 12:18 AM
Shooting in general! Shooting soda cans full of water with my HMR is a great time. General varmint shooting is always fun.

MrTwigg
January 7, 2006, 12:37 AM
I was a gunner on a 106 mm recoiless rifle. When we had tatical training at Fort Irwin we set up several drums filled with diesel & gas :eek: downrange.

Then we got to set 'em off. We'd fire two .50 tracer rounds from the spotting rifle atop the big gun and then set off the primary barrel and fire either an 11 pound anti-tank tracer round or a 9 pound high explosive shell. :what: Very entertaining !

Oh, I really like trap shooting too, but it's not nearly as much fun !:D

I plan on getting my 8 year old son his first .22 soon ( He's pretty deadly with a Red Ryder.) and I am really looking foreward to that !:)

I think the guy with the tank trumps me tho. !

ajkurp
January 7, 2006, 12:52 AM
Shooting beer sixpack carriers at 70-80 yards. My Buddy and I would load each other's revolvers, intermixing empty holes and live shells.

If you are flinching, try this tecnique with a pal. When you flinch badly on an empty hole and catch a ration of crap for it, you will quickly become a better shooter.

You no alcohol/gun types can use Pepsi targets.

sm
January 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
Update:

I have the distinction of breaking a total of six Nova shotguns ...so far.

I actually broke a single shot shotgun the other day.

The things I do for the shooting community - I swear! :p

Not so much fun, just ...Testing and Evaluating. Okay I admit, I did snicker...maybe...just a wee bit...just a itty bitty snicker mind you...:D

Cannot forget to mention the additional blame I get when folks get a new gun ...

Then there are the people I have met, meet. Some even let their kids adopt me as an Uncle. Boy are there some dumb parents out there. *smirk*

DRZinn
March 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
A toss-up between shooting a kangaroo with a Ma Deuce, and July 4th 2001 aboard USS Boxer (Just left the Arabian Sea and had a lot of excess ammo.) Let's just say we discovered the exact cyclic rate of a M240.

with the settings on the T&A that were thereUmm... <ahem> T&E. T&A is something else

Scott Daw
March 16, 2006, 01:17 AM
When I had turned 21 and bought my first pistol I was working part time as a contractors assistant. The housewife had a 4 foot barney doll that some mice chewed holes into for some of the stuffing. She was afraid they were nesting in barney and asked us to dispose of it. Well I couldnt resist. What parent doesnt hate barney right?

My friends and I took it to the local plinking range. a variety of firearms were present...ex.... 12 gauge, sks, handguns of a variety of calibers.

We came up with our own song.

I love you, you hate me, whats that shiny thing your pointing at me?

(cue 12 gauge pumping)

Uh Ohhh!!!

then we'd unload on barney. The range master was laughing his behind off but did ask that if someones child was to show up we'd try to hide it. We were there before school let out to minimize such an incident. We cleaned up the fuzz and our brass after about 100 rounds.

nvshooter
March 16, 2006, 01:43 AM
Went out with a friend and shot his suppressed, 45ACP MAC-10. It felt good...

I almost always enjoy going out to shoot. I suffered on the East Coast for so many years with no place to shoot. Now I live in rural Nevada and I can shoot just about anywhere, as long as I'm at least a mile or more out of town. That's easy here.

SingleStack
March 16, 2006, 02:48 AM
In my three years active duty Army I had many an opportunity to shoot some fun stuff. We were deployed to Panama for training and were completing a squad movement-to-contact course. I was a carrying a M249 SAW. The 60 gunner and I cut a tree down that was on the course. We were really enjoying ourselves, but our squad leader didn't find any humor in our antics. After it was over I was sorry we disappointed him...but man it was fun!

jashobeam
March 16, 2006, 02:54 AM
During my teen years I would often go spend weekends at my grandma's house down in Gilroy. She lived out in a farming area.

In the evening, after the chickens had roosted, I would sprinkle a little hen-scratch (feed) into each of the various holes in the floor and walls of the chicken coupe and then return an hour or two later and examine the holes to see which ones hadn't any feed left in them. Then, I would "re-stock" the empty holes and sit on a chair in the center of the coup with my flashlight and my grandma's 20" Mossberg 500 ATP 12 gauge riot-gun resting in my lap. As soon as I discovered some activity, I would shoulder the shotgun and focus all of my attention into the depth of the hole. As soon as I saw those shiny eyes my heart would start racing as if I was aiming at a trophy buck. I'd wait for the little rodent to stretch forward his head and reach for the next crumb, then I'd pull the trigger. The hole would erupt with a cloud of dust, the chickens would start and stir, and there would be this ringing in my ears.

I'd get a stick and fish the rat's headless body from the hole. These were big, round, well-fed rats. Often I'd shoot two or three in a single evening; sometimes I'd shoot a second rat in the very same hole that I'd shot the first rat! I guess the smell of rat-guts and blood don't do much to repel other rats. During my "career" I shot well over 50 rats with that Mossberg.

lawson
March 16, 2006, 04:09 AM
we were out shooting in the desert one day at a regular spot, up against an 8 ft berm that ran alongside a wash. people shot there often, and there was a lot of trash laying around (we would always clean up our own mess and as much of the other rubbish as we could).

someone had left an old vcr out ther which had a few holes in it. i leaned it up, and took aim with my Ruger GP100 .357. the first two shots made satisfying noises, but the third shot cause the tape in the VCR to go shooting out about five feet in the air, trailing tape behind it. both our jaws were laying on the ground.

Browns Fan
March 16, 2006, 07:57 AM
+1 on too many too list, but I'll try:

1. Taking my daughter shooting.
2. Killing my 1st buck.
3. IDPA.
4. Watching a milk jug filled with water explode and turn inside out after being shot with a mosin.

entropy
March 16, 2006, 09:08 AM
4. Watching a milk jug filled with water explode and turn inside out after being shot with a mosin.
:cool: That is a lot of fun, isn't it?:evil:

Umm... <ahem> T&E. T&A is something else We had that in my unit also.;)

Bama61
March 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
Like many of you, I have way to many to mention them all. But, three come to mind.

1) This one is serious. Was standing beside my son when he killed his first deer. I killed one also at the same time. We were on stand with drivers pushing deer our way. Two doe came out and stopped about 20 yards from us. We both shot at the same time. I was shooting a Marlin 444 and my son was shooting a Win. 94 30-30. He was 11 years old then.

2) My dad and I were out shooting our .22 revolvers on afternoon when we started hearing something coming through the woods. It was a large group of half grown armadillos. We started shooting those things and they were flopping and popping up all over the place. I have never seen anything like that before.

3) My buddies and I used to get in my truck and ride across the pastures at the farm that belonged to one of my buddies. We had .22's; rifles and pistols and would shoot possums that were always crossing the pastures. That was always lots of fun!

Bama61

AirForceShooter
March 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
if I answer this one I'll be banned for sure.

AFS

oldhammy1
March 16, 2006, 11:57 AM
Taking the boys out after Halloween to dispose of our pumpkins. My boys use a NEF .410 single shot, and I use a mossberg 535 camo, with 3.5" turkey loads. The pumpkins never see it coming.

:) :)

Working Man
March 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
Like many have said there were a lot of good times over the years.

I would have to say the best times were when I would good to the range as a
kid with my dad. Nothing fancy about it just some .22 shooting with an old
Sterling and a Single Six, but you cant beat the excitement of being a kid at
the range.

Balog
March 16, 2006, 08:25 PM
Shooting a MK19. Nothing like a full auto 40mm grenade launcher.

Bluecard
March 16, 2006, 08:31 PM
LAW rocket to the back of an armored personnel carrier on the training range at Ft. Dix, N.J. Although it was training, it was cooool!!! This may sound gruesome but shooting ground hogs with a 30-06 was kind of cool, messy fun.:what:

RaetherEnt
March 16, 2006, 10:05 PM
Tannerite baby...BOOM!

Was a saw gunner in the Army and LOVED that gun!

Also, not a gun per se but...

I took a field expedient munitions course when I was in the Army as well. The instructor had us bury a 55 gallon drum at about a 45 degree angle, with one side of the drum sticking out of the ground. The drum was also filled with a mixture of gasoline and liquid Tide. After rigging it up with det-cord and c4, he set this thing off...

It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life! It shot a cone shaped fireball out to what had to be every bit of 200 yards, landed on the ground and BURNED baby!

Never forget that.

Foxtrot427
March 16, 2006, 10:25 PM
just plinking with my friends off a friends back deck. That 7-up plus is gross, and we have the shreaded aluminum to prove it.

Zen21Tao
March 17, 2006, 01:32 AM
Well, there was this one time... at hunting camp.... :neener:

ragtopdog
March 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
I have had so many good times shooting that it is hard to single just out one. But a recent one was with a buddy of mine and a marlin 1894 .44mag rifle. we came to the place we were going to shoot at and the scope on the rifle had gotten a pretty good wack along the way. Well we took the scope off and having a bunch of handloads to burn procided to see who could hit cosleset to this rock about 800 yards away. Oh by the way, the rifle had no rear sight! Well we burned maybe two hundered rounds and just had a hoot of a good time. It was amazing to find out how good one can shoot just using "yup up about that much" and looking down the barrel for windage!

Rockrivr1
March 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
I would say watching myself on the 11 o'clock news. When I was at the Westfield Machine Gun Shoot in western mass I was about to shoot a SAW. This reporter from the local NBC channel came over and ask if I'd hold off until he was done with his commentary. I said sure. I stood there with the SAW semi facing the camera with the bbl pointing down range. It had a belt of 100 rnds. When the reporter finished, I let the rounds start flying. The camera man zoomed in on me as I finished up the last few rounds. They edited out me turning around with a HUGE smile on my face though. That would of been priceless.

Dusty Rusty
March 17, 2006, 09:21 PM
The most fun I have had was the first time I shot an Uzi. I started out with short bursts and then let it fly on the last mag. Couldn't get the grin off my face for anything. :D Also, has some young "hotshots" on the line thinking an old lady like me had no business in a gun shop. Took the S&W 500 out and BOOM!---had a lot of respect after that! :evil:

White Stallion
March 17, 2006, 11:05 PM
I have two I couldnt decide between so i'll tell both. They both occured in the same day and have to do with an .17 air rifle.
I set up a series of action figures about 15 yds. away and me and my friends took turns taking shots at them I am a better marksman than they are so they just blew some holes in the chest and arms and legs and blew some other body parts off. I, on the other hand had figured out a way to cleanly blow the head off, you simply place the pellet right in the middle of the neck, this causes the to fly about 3/4 fett in the air :cool:
Place a Smartie (preferably pink or yellow) about 10/15 yds. away, place it on an aerosol can (or something else but make sure it hangs freely) aim square at the middle POW! It looks exactly like a little sporting clay!

P.S. I shot all of these using open sights :neener: it is decently hard to knock the head of an action figure off and extremely hard to destroy a Smartie.

SRMohawk
March 18, 2006, 12:20 AM
It was definitely the night of my bachelor party (a week prior to the start of my first marriage). I didn't think there was gonna be a bachelor party period. But then one of my closest friends, and the guy who I chose to be my best man, showed up at my place with a number of other friends and took me to a private locale way north of the city in which we all reside. It was in a heavily forested area at the edge of a small lake. Once we got there, they started breaking out all manner of firearms and we all went to shooting. I've never spent so much ammo in one session in my entire life . . . over 1500 rounds of 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP, 10mm Auto, .44 Magnum, 12-gauge 00 Buckshot, .223 Remington, .308 Win., and .300 Win. Mag.! Altogether, the 5 of us spent almost 5 cases of ammunition in the span of about 6 hours. Of course, this wouldn't have been possible but for the fact that one of the 9mm weapons and one of the .223 Remington weapons they produced had REALLY fast rates of fire ;). They had even set up targets for me to shoot at on the tops of buoys way out in the lake. Anyway, I had a migraine headache by the time we we're done in addition to a badly bruised left shoulder, painful wrists, and completely numb hands.

Afterwards, we all went to this really swanky steak house and ate filet mignon and drank copious amounts of Silver Oak and Stag's Leap Cabernet Savignons.

One of the best days of my entire life!

SRM

k_semler
March 18, 2006, 05:12 AM
Bump firing my SAR-1. It's a blast! The only bad part about it is after doing it for a while, when I fire it normally, I find myself bracing for FA fire, and I wonder what went wront when only one shot comes off. (and no, feathering the trigger didn't do any good). It took about 5 normal shots before I realised that it's only going to pop one off at a time. :) Unfortunatly x39 seems to be a rare commodity now-a-days, so I don't do it that much anymore.:(

.45 AUTO
November 10, 2006, 05:20 AM
Bump-firing my AKM.

Waywatcher
November 10, 2006, 05:49 AM
Shot a gourd with a .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP.

I swear the results would have been the same if you stuck a lit M-80 inside the gourd.

:D

ir3e971
November 10, 2006, 09:18 AM
Hunting jackrabbits with a 45-70 sharps...

ZXD9
November 10, 2006, 09:57 AM
USPSA Practical Shooting. It's a blast!

armedpolak
November 10, 2006, 10:12 AM
Quality time with my two half-bros, upstate NY, on our Dad's 5 acres in the woods :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221331&highlight=armedpolak

Curly
November 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
Most fun? It would have to be just listening to an anecdotal story about some teenagers near Fairchild AFB in Spokane WA in the late 50's. They filled a one quart mason jar with powder collected from .50 cal ammo, then attached a (very long) magnesium fuse to the lid, sealing it carefully with melted parrafin wax. Then they drove to a nearby lake, taking with them a small rowboat, rowed out to the middle, lit the fuse and let it sink. They rowed back to shore, loaded up the boat, then drove to a vantage point far away where they could observe the results. It took quite a while, but there was eventually some disturbance on the surface of the very deep lake. Then the surface erupted like a geyser, followed by a very loud explosion shaking the ground enough to register an "earthquake" on the base's seismo equipment. They hauled -ss out of there! On the main highway, a convoy of military vehicles passed them going the opposite direction heading out to the lake. Bet they never figured out what caused it. Sure killed a lot of fish in the lake though. Kinda like fishing with hand grenades. I don't recommend you try this for yourselves. You could get into all kinds of trouble. <understatement>

Boom-stick
November 10, 2006, 10:36 AM
Getting bad mouthed and cussed for bringing a .22 browning buckmark pistol to a gallery rifle match............. and then winning every stage:D :neener:

Lambo119
November 10, 2006, 11:28 AM
My best shooting buddy and I were pondering what my .50 BMG with API or spotter tracer rounds would do to a full 20 pound propane cylinder. So we thought we would find out. Knowing this was something NOT to do at the local range we went his fathers farm. I wish we would of video taped it as I can not even explain the sight. We were both in awe and giggled like school girls when it exploded and took off like a rocket. It traveled about 25 yards leaving a wake of flame in its path. We were both laughing so hard we were crying. This soon stopped as we realized we had 1/2 acre of burning soy bean field. It took us about twenty minutes but we got the fire out but not before we both ruined our shoes and jackets. Well lets just say his dad was less than impressed when we told him what had happened. After a royal ass chewing his dad gave us two old metal 5 gal. gas cans and made us shoot them so he could watch before we left. (nicer fireball but not propelled like the cylinder) We all still laugh about it even after five years but his dad still calls us dumb and dumber. :D

GunnySkox
November 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
I love shooting Trap with my dad, if I can stop sucking long enough to hit a freakin' clay, hehe.

On my own, once I set up three sheet-of-paper-sized targets about fifty yards downrange and switched between them as fast as I could, that was pretty sweet.

Also: shooting an MP5/10 at the Dominion range in Richmond. MAN that is just totally freakin' sweet.

~GnSx

XDKingslayer
November 10, 2006, 12:41 PM
While qualifying on the Known Distance Course in the Marines, our entire platoon was there to qual before going on deployment. It came to the gas mask stage which is usually done on Friday and at the 100 and 200 yard line.

Even though you're told not to, it's common knowledge that any gear left on the 100 yard line when we move back to 200 is fair game.

Someone left their duece gear on the 100 yardline and we filled it with holes.

Turned out it was our Lt's gear...made it that much more funnier. See, he went to college to get that stupid.

PirateJoe
November 10, 2006, 01:30 PM
my friend's uncle owns a parcel of land out in the boonies of napa, and we go out and shoot there every once in a while.

last time we were out there was a blast. first, we came across a fallen tree (about 5in diameter) laying at about waist height across the trail. an sks, 870 12g, and an m1 carbine made short work of that. :D

also, shooting into a pond (or, uhh, a big puddle. it was only like 10 yards across) that was on the land. (there was a big hill behind the pond). it was great seeing the water shoot up in the air 10 feet. we also put some 2-liter coke bottles on the other side, and "skipping" the bullets off the surface of the water and hitting the bottles!

also, completely destroying an old wooden chair that we found lying around up ther (and seeing the trench we made in the ground behid it when we were done), and shooting at an old rusted out car. .22lr hollow points expand to about .45 when shooting at sheet metal. for some reason, the .38spl out of my friends snubby didn't go through, but it was fun seeing the metal dent the instant he pulled the trigger, and then seeing the bullet fall.

Shifty
November 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
first time at the range with my shotgun, hurt so good. skipping wooden blocks downrange, laughing like a madman as my targets just fell apart.

or the first time i assassinated an orange with my m94 ranger .357. it just disappeared with a whizzing twang. not even pulp

686+
November 10, 2006, 03:11 PM
Squirel control with a .223 v-max polymer tip, center mass at 50 yards: Bang!, Puff!

Gatordad699
November 10, 2006, 07:45 PM
Shooting thousands of 22 rounds with my Dad and brothers.

The week I spent at Thunder Ranch, one of the funnest weeks ever.

Shooting a M14 at Oscar the dummy in the middle of the Pacific from the sail of a sub.

Spencer
November 10, 2006, 11:57 PM
Rapid fire a 30 round mag from my Mini-14.

+1

rangerruck
November 11, 2006, 12:09 AM
tracer 22 rounds , twilight.

shotgunkevin
November 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
My buddy's family has a membership at the biggest local outdoor range in my area. It has 4 or 5 trap/skeet ranges, 3 rifle ranges, 6 or so pistol ranges (and a healthy membership fee!) Anyway, the first time we went, they had set up literally 30 or 35 steel targets, pepper poppers and 6-8" falling plates, all within a 50' by 50' square pistol range. The place was littered with steel targets! I'd never shot steel before. And I had just bought my XD! Oh glorious day! I remember just hosing down rows of poppers and plates, going to slidelock and having a couple of targets fall afterward.
I never saw them set up the steel targets again. :( They must've been getting ready for a competition or something.

The Real Hawkeye
November 11, 2006, 01:32 PM
I enjoy hunting with my guns. Nothing like that moment of truth when you've shouldered your weapon and get a bead on game, then BANG, and down she goes. Can't think of anything I've done with my guns that's more fun than that.

PX15
November 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have a friend of over 50 years who is blind with Retinious Pigmentosa...

Even tho he can't see anything one of his greatest pleasures is for he and I to get out in the countryside and just ride around. He is an old disc jockey from the "classic rock and roll era".

We just cruise thru the countryside listening to old rock & roll CD's shooting the breeze about girls we knew, and had, or missed, or whatever.. Fifty years of friendship offers lots of good memories.

A couple of years ago I got a set of 205 Lasergrips for my S&W Airweight Bodyguard and thought he might enjoy shooting it.

I bought a pile of large ballons, we went out in the country and I taped those ballons in some low tree limbs. I stood behind him (I'm not THAT stupid), and pointed his aim in the general direction of the ballons.. He would just wave the 638 around a bit, and when the red dot was close I would tell him to "fire".. He actually blew up several ballons and we had a blast.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6347.jpg

The only weird thing he enjoyed better than busting ballons was driving my restored 1968 Firebird 400HO..

Good friends are precious, hard to find, and add much joy to life..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

AK103K
November 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
My buddy and I took turns stepping into the booth and letting full mag dumps go out of my MP5. In the next booth over were three cops and the chief of one of the local po dunk police forces "attempting" to qualify on a busy Wednesday night. (who knows why?) They used their "authority" to butt in front of us in line. The boy running the counter was a friend of mine and I asked if we could have that booth next to them when it freed up.

I waited until one stepped into the booth to shoot and just as he started shooting, I dumped a whole mag. I popped my head around the divider when I was done and you should have seen look on all their faces. I thought the chief was going to pop a vein in his neck. :D

They didnt do to well that night. My mag dump groups at 10 yards were better than most of their 7 yard targets. :)

The chief tried to get us moved and asked the boy at the counter if I had the proper paperwork, but he never once asked me, just kept giving us real dirty looks the whole time. :)

Needless to say, we didnt ride home through his borough that night either.

hkenvy91
November 11, 2006, 07:57 PM
how about shooting golf balls with a ruger single six

The Real Hawkeye
November 11, 2006, 11:20 PM
I've had fun shooting potatoes on sticks. They "blowed up real good." Little SCTV reference there, for people old enough to remember that.

ChefJeff1
November 11, 2006, 11:40 PM
.357 into soda cans, eggs, miscellaneous food from my fridge. I shot a pack of tofu once with a .357 and pieces went about 30 feet in every direction. That's about the best recipe for tofu I have. Also once I was shooting a halloween pumpkin with some 9mm and when I went to see the damage a chipmunk ran over my shoe and then stopped to get some pumpkin bits, I couldn't resist.

javacodeman
November 12, 2006, 12:40 AM
As a newby, I listened to tales of great pumpkin shootouts earlier this year on this forum. I followed up and invited several friends out and we shot pumpkins at a multiple of ranges with a multiple types of guns.

I had gotten some small pumpkins that would just fit in your hand. We launched a few of these up in the air downrange to blast with shotguns. There was also one of these set up about 100 yards down range. Some others had shot at it with a 30-06 but missed. I hit it on my first try. That was a great time.

java

solareclipse
November 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
Cut down a good sized tree. took a lot of bullets of varying calibers and then a hand push.. tough stuff. nothing like in the movies when you shoot it and it splinters.

this trooper took 1000 rounds before i can push it over :what:

Critter183
November 12, 2006, 01:50 AM
My favorite outting was taking my 5 year old daughter to the range for the first time with her brandy new lil buckeroo.

I quickly got the iron sights zeroed at 25 yards, and then set up 5 wooden blocks on a 4 foot long piece of 2X6 for her to knock down. Of course we went over how the rifle works, in detail, the 4 rules and all that safety stuff first. She has her glasses on and ear muffs... :)

I drew a quick sketch of what she should see through the sights, since she had no clue how to aim the thing.

About the time she was ready to have a go at the blocks a couple showed up to play with their new toys. I offered to let them go set up their targets before the kid got started but they wanted to watch her. So we all stood their as my kid took a .22lr and chambered it. She couldn't really support the rifle too well so she was shooting from a sand bag. She takes aim, moves her finger to the trigger and squeezes off her first shot.

The first block goes flying. :)

Then she opens the bolt, chambers another round, takes aim, fires, and the 2nd block goes flying. We 3 adults just looked at each other like, is this kid really doing this? lol

She goes 5 for 5.

I have her clear the gun and leave the bolt open, and we all go down range. The couple set their targets out at 100 yards, and my kid set her blocks back up.

The range goes live again, but the couple still want to watch the kid shoot, so we all stand there again...she goes 5 for 5 again.

OK, maybe 25 yards is too short...

Jump ahead to having rifle zeroed for 50 yards and blocks set up...

We all watch again and she goes 5 for 5 again, and again, and again, until the blocks were too torn up to set up any more.

The couple was amazed and I was the proudest papa in the world. :D

Now she's about to turn 13, has 3 rifles, including an AP74, and has a 4th coming on her birthday next week. She still prefers .22 rimfire. The big booms of the heavier calibers still scare her. I think next range trip I am going to make her shoot one of my Ar15s though. Not too much boom or recoil, I think she'll handle it now.

aspen1964
November 12, 2006, 12:57 PM
..I agree with some others...22 plinking is probably the funnest shooting you can do...:)..esp. wandering along with someone else looking for targets to pop...

bud212002
November 12, 2006, 05:15 PM
55 pumpkins and 12 GA. slugs

'nuff said

Stevie-Ray
November 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
'nuff saidOh no it's not. How many slugs to do all 55?:D

Any 2 for 1s?:D

Sharps-shooter
November 13, 2006, 12:18 AM
a few good memories, in no particular order...

Magic tricks--

1. Puzzling onlookers by being able to knock down 2 cans (side by side) with a .233

2. Hitting a flying clay pigeon with a .458 caliber bullet (in a privately owned wilderness area, with a mountain for a backstop).

gunsmithing--

1. Fixing up my brother's "brown bess" musket, from c. 1750. turned out to be a beautiful gun.

2. disabling a handgun that had been used to hold a friend at gunpoint. We replaced the barrel with a dowel rod that had a "bang, you're dead" sign on it. Still laugh about that one sometimes.

other--

The first time I went shooting. Nothing spectacular happened. I got to shoot a 30-30 for a while, until I could place my shots well, and then I got to use a .22, which was extremely easy by contrast. It was a thrill unlike any I had ever experienced.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most fun thing you've done w/ a gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!