Need gun cabinet advice...

PDA

Len
November 26, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'm just in the finishing stages of a new "hidden in plain sight" gun cabinet. The guns will be in a case, laying on padded high density foam material.

Keeping in mind that all the guns get used, or at least cleaned on a monthly basis, what is a good fabric to cover the padded floor? It should look nice, but more importantly, shouldn't react/cling to finishes of all types. [I.e. blued, stainless.]

What I'm looking at is something similar to the material inside my shotgun case, which appears to be nothing more than a blue velvet. Could it be that simple?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need gun cabinet advice..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck2
November 26, 2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe look at the material in gun safes. Actually kinda similar to a fine weave carpet material

JohnBT
November 26, 2005, 03:46 PM
I've seen high-end ($1k+) shotgun cases lined with wool billiard felt or Ultrasuede. I think I'd probably start by looking at marine-grade carpet.

John

ceetee
November 26, 2005, 05:28 PM
How attractive does it have to be?

I've seen several different kinds of materials sold for lining toolbox shelves and drawers. The downside is that most of them are somewhat... utilitarian looking. The upsides are they are immune to any kinds of oils or solvents that may (over time) tend to dissolve plactic cloths or indoor-outdoor-type carpets.

On the other hand, every gun rack I've ever seen has plain old felt lining the hooks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need gun cabinet advice..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!