Rifle Customization

PDA

Achara
April 3, 2003, 02:25 PM
I am looking for some advise on how to fully custimize a Springfield M1A Rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Customization" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 3, 2003, 02:51 PM
1. Send to gunsmith;
2. write check;
3. wait;
4. keep waiting;
5. call;
6. wait for it;
7 find out that "part" is out;
8. wait;
9. UPS sends weapon to your city (in another state);
10. wait;
11. receive weapon and be overcome with joy.:D

Archie
April 3, 2003, 03:13 PM
"customize" is a rather big word. What do you want the rifle to do once it's customized? High Power Rifle, "Tacticality", varmints, or what?

Check on the web. Search for "Gunsmith" and "Rifle". See who is there and what they do. Make some contacts to ask if they will do "such and such" to your rifle, and how much.

After that, follow El Tejon's directions.

echo3mike
April 4, 2003, 07:23 AM
Scott Duff / John Miller's The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions (http://www.scott-duff.com/DuffBooks.htm#m14) is an outstanding reference book for anyone who owns an M14-type rifle. It also demonstrates why
A) these rifles are so difficult to work up to and maintain match level standards, and
B) why you can't do the work yourself.

Even the average gunsmith isn't really familiar with tweaking the M14, which is why guys like Clint McKee (http://www.fulton-armory.com) can take 2+ years to get your rifle worked up and beat up your bank account in the process.

S.

cratz2
April 4, 2003, 10:09 AM
I must admit, I've never understood the reason a non-competitor would spend tons of money making a semi auto extremely accurate. For the cost of a Springfield scope with illuminated reticle, you can get a Savage 12FV in 308, mount a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x scope that is all but guaranteed to outshoot nearly any customized M1A. With practice, precision shooting from a bolt gun is just as fast as precision shooting with a semi auto.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Customization" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!