Trying to decide....

PDA

Shipwreck
November 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
I have a list of 4 or 5 guns that I planned to purchase next... On the top of that list is the Ruger 345. I have heard some mixed stuff on it, but I think I have someone lined up nearby that will let me shoot theirs next weekend. Then I will decide for sure...

The problem is, I keep reading more and more neg stuff on the various gun talk websites, and I am starting to have second thoughts about even considering it. Plus, I've read posts from some who claimed that theirs worked fine in the beginning but then started to develop problems after 500-600 rds...

The second gun on my list - the Sig 232 in Stainless - I've been reading a lot of complaints about that lately as well. I have small hands, so I don't think the slide bite will get me, but many people have said it is not a comfortable gun to shoot.

All this is kinda making me lean towards the 3rd gun on my list... Beretta 85 - This gun interests me a lot, but I needa take another look at it again - The Beretta Bruniton finish isn't the best (I have a Beretta 92FS already), but I know that sometimes they have a blue steel slide and barrel on certain models - I had a Cougar years ago that was not covered in Bruniton on the slide.

Any comments on what I have said - pro's/cons to sway me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to decide...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loose cannon
November 27, 2005, 01:59 AM
one of the guns i still seek for my must have battery is a beretta m86,its a tipup barrel version of the m85 useing the same mag iirc.

i wish to have 1 of these in case im crippled or lose the full use of my hands or i lose the strength to operate my 9mm glocks.if i dont need it for that reason im certain some1 else in my circle may and if not ill still have a fine 380.
just my thoughts on the matter for your consideration.

Shipwreck
November 27, 2005, 02:15 AM
I already tried to track one of these down about 8 months ago. Finally gave up. They had one locally that I fell in love with - that was supposedly new in box. But, there was a few problems w/ it, so I decided not to buy it.

Could not track one down new for a reasonable price, and gave up. I still have my eyes open for one too. But I won't buy a gun w/o seeing it first. So, that limits my ability to track it down...

Anyway, am interested in the guns mentioned above...

GoBrush
November 27, 2005, 02:16 AM
Shipwreck:

One of the rules I use that has worked well for me is buy brands that are widely carried by law enforcement or military. I do not know an agency out there that carry Ruger.

The next question is why are you buying it? Concealed Carry? or just another fun gun to shoot at the range? While it is true that the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun I do not think I would trust my life to a 380. If a carry gun is your purpose my opinion is a 9mm minimum.

There are very good baby 9's on the market that you can choose from. I bought a Sig 239 in 40 S&W and liked it so much bought a 239 in 9mm for my wife. Very nice guns and compact too.

Bottom line you cant go wrong with Beretta, Sig, Glock, maybe a S&W lots of good brands to choose from find one you like and stick with it.

Hope this helps.:) One last note on 380's I did have a Walther ppks long ago and did the phone book test the hollow point I shot collapsed instead of expanding just not enough power. Fun gun to shoot though!

Shipwreck
November 27, 2005, 02:36 AM
I have my concealed carry gun - MY Walther p99c. Alsoo have a nighstand gun and other guns I like for protection around the home.

The next few guns I buy are just guns that have always interested me somewhat. But, I also sold 3 guns earlier this year that I bought and later didn't like. So, I'm kinda watching other's opinions a bit right now.

Ruger is a decent brand; although I will admit that I have never had one. I did borrow a Ruger P89 in 1996 to qualify the very 1st time for my concealed carry permit. Nice gun. The new 345 Ruger is a newer design, though, and it seems that they haven't entirely worked out the bugs...

But yes, I do normally stick w/ the "name" brands - that is one thing that has kinda kept me on the fence w/ a Bersa 380, even though I have heard a lot of good stuff on them...

I love 1911s, and have prev owned 4. But, there is usually some issue that causes me a headache w/ them. So, am kinda deciding if I really want to go that route again, or maybe buy 2 guns for the same amount of money...

So, it's just to have an extra guna round the house and also to have something different at the range. I had been looking forward to the new S&W M&P 9mm. Then I kinda realized - wait a minute - I already have 3 polymer 9mm pistols - 1 of which is already a S&W. I also LOVE the SA trigger on the P99 and SW99 I have. So, I don't see much point in buying the M&P, other than for looks.

So, just exploring other options.

My list of guns that interest me when I started was:

-Beretta 85
-Sig 232
-Beretta Tomcat
-Ruger 345
-Another 1911 (yet to be determined - basically depending on how much $ I have)

C-grunt
November 27, 2005, 09:16 AM
Id say go for thr Ruger. You already have a carry and home gun so you could part with the Ruger IF it has any problems and you have to send it back. I cant say I have ever fired one but I sure do like the way they feel. Also the Army just bought a bunch of P95s, so Ruger is used by the military.

Shipwreck
November 27, 2005, 11:19 AM
Well, I was asking for opinions because I already bought and sold 3 guns earlier this year that I did not like. I'm trying to get away from that again, although I realize that other's opinions can only take me so far. I'm just trying to find out anything that maybe I didn't already know...

Jeff Timm
November 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
There are always a few people who don't get along with a specific gun.

There are others who will bad mouth a gun for other reasons. The S&W Clinton agreement, Ruger's endorsement of a capacity limit, Colt's work on electronic IDs, and even the manufacturer including a key lock of some kind on the gun.

I prefer to watch what other people use at the range and ask if they like the gun. Sometimes I can help. A gentleman was having a tough time with a new 1911 Clone. I offered him a loan of a magazine. With a factory nickle 7 round mag it fired perfectly, the 8 round that came with it did not. He bought two new mags from the range and they sent the original mag back for him. The company sent two new mags 7 rounders which worked and paid the range shipping and returned the new ones air express.

Geoff
Who based on observation would not buy a new Springfield .45, even tho I own one about 20 years old. :cool:

lucky_fool
November 27, 2005, 11:56 AM
I have both the P345 and the Bersa, and I'd recommend them both wholeheartedly. The Ruger did have some fail to feed issues on the last round of the magazine that went away after the first hundred rounds or so, but it's been fine since then. The Bersa has been rock solid since day one, and I recently found out that a local PD uses it as their BUG.

tulsamal
November 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
If you like the new Ruger .45, then go for it! I think it is a really nice design and a great deal for the money. If you do have problems, Ruger will take care of you. But remember, the internet tends to make problems seem more common. Hundreds (if not thousands) of people buy a model of gun and have no problems. But the people who DO have problems go online and tell everybody about it. Tends to skew the average!

Have you read some of the MANY threads on the gun over in the Ruger forums?

http://tinyurl.com/bwxl5

Gregg

Shipwreck
November 27, 2005, 12:07 PM
Have you read some of the MANY threads on the gun over in the Ruger forums?

http://tinyurl.com/bwxl5

Gregg

I have been to the Ruger Forum website and also to some of the Ruger sections on other sites (like Ar15 and Glocktalk).

I just e-mailed the guy I am supposed to meet next weekend to try out the Ruger. Hopefully everything works out and I get to shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to decide...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!