Recoil Pads

PDA

Lupinus
November 29, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'm interested to know just how effective recoil pads are. A good brand like lime saver just how much to they reduce the feel of recoil. 10%? 50%? If it matters by caliber I'd be interested in knowing for 30-30, 30-06, and 12 guage.

Also is there any down side to using a recoil pad? Decreased acuracy or anything like that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Pads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slopemeno
November 30, 2005, 12:16 AM
A good pad like the Pachmayer Sporting Clays or the Decelerator will soften the sharp edge off of the recoil. You'll still get nearly the same quantity, just delivered in a more comfortable format. Keep in mind the installation of a recoil pad is an opportunity to fine tune the fit of your gun to your body. Every time you shoulder a gun that feels good, take some notes of the length of pull and drop at the heel. The gunsmith can trim your stock or even add spacers to adjust the fit.

FWIW, the Pachmayer Sporting Clays is a shotgun pad that has a hard heel of plastic that keeps it from hanging up on the armpit of your coat. The heel is cushioned, of course, but it allows a quick mount that a conventional pad might not.

sm
November 30, 2005, 12:23 AM
IMO/IME

Recoil is a Percieved measurement which differs for each shooter.

While virtual measurements and various testings can substantiate a reduction - this percentage is only a marketing tool IMO.

Percieved Recoil depends on too many variables - Human Anat & Phys is one for example.

Recoil Mangement includes Recoil Pads. Recoil Pads are part of the Mgmt Package - not the package.

Warning - bias and opinions to follow from my experinces , observations.

I am convinced a properly fitted gun to shooter, whom has practiced and continues to practice the Correct Basic Fundamental of gun mounting, stance, shooting...and has a Pachmyer Decelarator Recoil pad will be a better shooter. Period.

Ryder
November 30, 2005, 05:13 AM
any down side to using a recoil pad?

I installed one that was too soft onto the butt of a shotgun once. It had the effect of giving that gun a running head start at hitting my shoulder. That made the recoil a lot worse.

MDG1976
November 30, 2005, 07:33 PM
I have a slip on recoil pad on my 308 and it helps quite a bit. The fit is not great, but I only shoot from a bench so it's not that much of a problem. If you shoulder your gun while standing, a slip on pad might give you some trouble. I have a new stock on the way with a Decelerator pad. That should help.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Pads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!