used bolt hunting rifle

PDA

tango3065
April 3, 2003, 09:52 PM
Who here would consider buying a used bot action lets say 270,30/06 whatever what would u look for ,also how many rounds would be the life of hunting rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "used bolt hunting rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert inOregon
April 3, 2003, 10:16 PM
Look at the overall condition of the rifle. If it looks abused, best just walk away. Looking good, continue with the inspection. Make sure action is secured to the stock (stock cracked?), barrel floats and the action works properly (safety works!). Check the bolt face around the firing pin hole. Metal should be clean with no pitted metal around the firing pin hole and no batter marks on the bolt face. Locking lugs should also be clean of any marks and locks smooth and solid when working the action. Look down the barrel to see the condition of the rifling. The lands and grooves should be distinct and sharp. And finally look at the barrel crown for any dings or imperfections that may exist.

Would also advise having a gunsmith run a scope in the barrel to check for fouling, throat/chamber erosion and headspace after you have made your purchase.

They are all going to claim having just a box of ammo put through the rifle. ;)

Art Eatman
April 3, 2003, 10:18 PM
I've traded into a lot of used rifles; meddled with them, shot them, and then traded them off. Hardly ever a problem.

Look for a clean bore, and that there are no dings in the crown of the muzzle. One of these little bore-light dealies with the curved fiber-optic tube is quite helpful to check the bore and chamber.

I've put about 4,000 rounds, +/-, through my pet '06 over the last 30 or so years. It's still going strong, with the average of all groups just under one MOA.

:), Art

dakotasin
April 3, 2003, 10:39 PM
the first two posts sum it up pretty nice.

i am not afraid at all of buying used, especially for relatively hard kickers (sporter weight 25-06 and bigger). reason is, if it is a sporter rifle, it was probably just a big game rifle, which means it probably wasn't shot a whole lot (which is very sad, but another topic alltogether).

calibers that i would inspect very closely would be the hot 22's (22-250, 220, etc) and the 243/6 rem. reason for that is these are some pretty hot rounds, and because recoil/noise is relatively light, some shooters abuse these rifles.

for the 270 or 30-06 i would probably look at the outside condition of the rifle, and make sure there's rifling in the tube, then negotiate a price.

cratz2
April 4, 2003, 10:31 AM
It's pretty hard for most of us to go wrong with a used bolt action rifle from the major manufacturers. Even some of the not-so-major ones.

One of my very favorite rifles is a very well used Ruger M77 in 25-06. Missing the blue off the end of the barrel, the last 2" or so from all around the barrel and the stock was pretty dinged up. The barrel was dirty and it took, brushes, jigs and a little bitty bit of bore paste to get it cleaned up. After I sold the original scope for $100, it ended up costing me $110 and even came with a nice leather sling. Now I got a trigger job and firelapped it which cost me a combined total of $80 and it probably didn't need the firelapping. But it made me feel better. It shoots to into .7" with a better shooter than me shooting and a worked up handload of hunting ammo. Throw in another $240 for a Weaver Grand Slam scope and I have the utmost confidence in it.

$430 total. That's more than a lot of guys I know spend on a scope. Can't beat good deals on used bolt guns. Esp in not-quite-common calibers. Owners usually take a beating on those.

If you enjoyed reading about "used bolt hunting rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!