Me, my gun & mom.

PDA

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 02:33 PM
I need help. I love guns. My mother is the exact oposite. I've tried to explain things to her but she just can't understand. Or she doesn't want to. I love her very much. Legally, I can buy as many long guns as I wish, but I don't want her to hate me. What do think I should do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Me, my gun & mom." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZenMasterJG
November 30, 2005, 02:37 PM
I think if you're living under her roof, you have to follow her rules. She says no guns, then you don't have much of a choice. Discuss it rationally, maybe she'll come around. If not, you'll have your own place sooner or later. ;)

Sindawe
November 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
If you don't live in her house, stop worrying about what she'll think and live your own life. Parents do not always agree with the actions of their offspring, but such is life and there is not thing one they can do once the kids are adults and on their own.

Berek
November 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
Try using the philosophy of "tolerance" upon which this country was founded (though the practice seems to have been forgotten). There are many kinds of people doing many kinds of legal things, most of which we, as individuals, may not approve.

Further explain that (i'm assuming) you're considered an adult in the eyes of the law and no longer her responsibility. She did her job raising you and now is the time for you to put those teachings to use. Don't get defensive/combative, though.

Unless you still live with her, in which case, get a haircut and a job, you hippie. ;)

I'm sure that, no matter the outcome, she will always love you. She's your mom.

Berek

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. I don't live with my parents exactly. I have my own apartment. It just happens to be located beneath their house.

kfranz
November 30, 2005, 02:45 PM
Continue to love her very much. Come to the realization that despite the fact that she brought you into this world, she is a flawed human being. Some are more flawed than others. If she hates you because you own guns, she is of the more flawed variety.

Just read your reply. Get your own place that isn't connected to theirs.

kfranz
November 30, 2005, 02:46 PM
Sorry, ND

Tequila_Sauer
November 30, 2005, 02:48 PM
She's a mom, and she's always going to worry about her baby. It's not an easy sell, maybe even impossible depending on how against guns she is. My mother was very anti-gun when she was younger. She supported a person's right to own one and believed Big Brother should stay away from a citizen's right to own one, but she wanted nothing to do with a gun, personally.

She did eventually come around and now owns 3. There was no specific catalyst that converted her, it was just a lot of things over a period of time. I'd say it began with reading NRA material. Learning that there's more to owning a gun than simply "gettin all liquored up and goin shootin!!" And she may even subscribe to the "If you own a gun, you're probably going to shoot one of your own family members instead of an attacker" (ugh, I hate that!). Get some reading material, and discuss it with her. She may not convert, but she may be a bit more comfortable.

Cosmoline
November 30, 2005, 02:51 PM
Do what a lot of us have done up here--move 3,000 miles away from any family members. It solves an astonishing number of problems in one fell swoop :D

Berek
November 30, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. I don't live with my parents exactly. I have my own apartment. It just happens to be located beneath their house.

It's their house, their rules. Sorry.

Berek

Rupestris
November 30, 2005, 02:59 PM
Unless you still live with her, in which case, get a haircut and a job, you hippie. ;)
Berek

:D He's only 17. Probably too young to know what a hippie is. :D
You've heard "Uneasy Rider". They don't take kindly to hippies down south.

V4, Everything else Berek said is good advice. Show that you're responsible and able to put up a rational argument for firearm ownership.
I have a 16-year-old myself. Yea, its hard for a parent to let go sometimes so they can make their own decisions.

Best of luck to ya.

hillbilly
November 30, 2005, 03:04 PM
V4Vendetta....I wish you luck.

But it really sounds like you need, and I do mean NEED, to get a new apartment somewhere else.

You can call it "my apartment" but it's still in your parents' house.

Get out, get a place that is not physically connected to your parents' house, and then get all the guns you can afford, if you wish.

hillbilly

rayra
November 30, 2005, 03:15 PM
LOL
It's STILL their house / their rules.
Cut the umbilical, kid.

jsalcedo
November 30, 2005, 03:16 PM

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 03:18 PM
"He's only 17. Probably too young to know what a hippie is.
You've heard "Uneasy Rider". They don't take kindly to hippies down south."

Actually, I do know what a hippie is. My older brother is one. He's a unreliable bum. I'm not. I'll try talking to my mom again. I can't really afford to move out. I have my own store & most of my money is tied up in it. I don't really even get a paycheck yet. What I make goes back into the store.

K-Romulus
November 30, 2005, 03:29 PM
Do what a lot of us have done up here--move 3,000 miles away from any family members. It solves an astonishing number of problems in one fell swoop :D

That's what my kid brother did - left VA at 19 and moved to Anchorage!:evil:

But I should have gone with him when I had the chance . . . :uhoh:

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 03:43 PM
To the guy earlier who said that I might have a say if I pay rent, I do.

jsalcedo
November 30, 2005, 04:06 PM

WT
November 30, 2005, 04:07 PM
Distract your mom.

Have a female teacher twice your age stay over a night or two. Your mom won't be concerned about guns after that.

BryanP
November 30, 2005, 04:09 PM
To the guy earlier who said that I might have a say if I pay rent, I do.

Nope. It's still their property. They can set conditions of tenancy on their property. In your case that may mean "no guns."

Don't want to abide by their rules? Move. Otherwise, live with it.

Berek
November 30, 2005, 05:02 PM
Actually, I do know what a hippie is. My older brother is one. He's a unreliable bum.

Quite actually, that does not define a "Hippie". A true hippie is one who tries to invoke change through non-violent means. In some cases, it meant unemployment and bad hygiene, but many were able to be counted on, at least by those that mattered to them.

I was not trying to call you anything (hence the smiley face). I was trying to use levity to explain that you may need to seek an apartment outside of your parents' domain. As they own the building, even if you do pay rent, they still have the right to lay an anti-gun rule on anyone living there. Whether it's you or some stranger. It's their right as landlord to restrict what they deem as hazardous instruments within their property.

Relax. Reason will always prevail. It just may take time.

Berek

tegemu
November 30, 2005, 05:29 PM
Get a lease that spells out what can and cannot be done. Leases protest the lessor and lessee. Renting from family has many of the pitfalls of lending or borrowing money to/from family.

Chrontius
November 30, 2005, 05:45 PM

You've probably got some wiggle room.

Try printing out gunfacts.info in book form (a 1/2" 3-ring binder or some document clamps will do fine) and bringing some post-its along. Ask for a rational reason why you're being denied, then proceed to cite references supporting your position. She won't cave, but you'll start to wear down her prejudices, if that's what they are.

And for God's sake, post what works! :D

vynx
November 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
A lot of people who are against guns are just afraid of them.
Maybe if you buy a gun safe so you can show your Mom that they are safely stored away from children and thieves she will feel better.
Also, since you live under her maybe she is worried about accidents. Have you taken a safty course? This might help convince her that you won't be accidently firing thru her floor.

ArmedBear
November 30, 2005, 06:06 PM
Why in the world would you keep 10 loaded magazines for a Mark II?

World's worst rat infestation?:rolleyes:

jsalcedo
November 30, 2005, 06:18 PM

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 06:40 PM
"Quite actually, that does not define a "Hippie". A true hippie is one who tries to invoke change through non-violent means. In some cases, it meant unemployment and bad hygiene, but many were able to be counted on, at least by those that mattered to them."

I'm sure some Hippies are good people. Just not my older brother. He never calls us, my dad spent over a thousand dollars investment to try to get him started in the tye-dye shirt industry, he never even showed up. A good way to understand my family is to watch "Road to Perdition". I'm Tom Hanks, the good son. My dad is Paul Newman, the father figure. My older brother is Daniel Craig, the bad guy.

As to why my mom doesn't like guns is because when I was 11, I accidently killed my 10 year old brother with my dad's Remington 870. He wanted to go target practice in the backyard*. I said OK. We had done it before & nothing bad happened. Well this time the gun went off as I was loading it. He died instantly. I'm 17 now & I still remember it clearly. I don't blame my mom for her feelings. I just hate the snakes, possums, racoons & crows that are on our property. I also hear on the news about all the dangerous nutjobs that are out there & I need to look after my parents & myself. At our store we sell alot of CB radios so it's not uncommon to have several hundred dollars in cash on any given day. Our store is also located next to a trailer park where several scummy people live.

*We live in the woods.

Drysdale
November 30, 2005, 06:53 PM
Nope. It's still their property. They can set conditions of tenancy on their property. In your case that may mean "no guns."

Don't want to abide by their rules? Move. Otherwise, live with it.

I know that apartment buildings can't set this rule... At least not in Texas... When you lease an apartment, it's "Your residence" and they can't set the condition of no guns because you have the right to bear arms at "your residence" and when you're at a hotel for the night, it becomes "your residence" for that night and thus, you cannot be barred from having a gun in THAT room.

edwardyoung
November 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
At 17, you can't even legally own a handgun, can you? But if you do, just don't tell your Mom. I don't think you will ever be able to overcome her attitude about guns, considering what caused it. Just make sure she doesn't see it, and don't talk about it. I'm sure she wouldn't want you to have sex with your girlfriend, either; but you wouldn't try to convince her that was OK, would you. I don't think you should have sex with your girlfriend, either.:scrutiny:

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 06:58 PM
Where I live you can't have a handgun until your 21. Long guns are 18.

Berek
November 30, 2005, 10:17 PM
As to why my mom doesn't like guns is because when I was 11, I accidently killed my 10 year old brother with my dad's Remington 870.

Are you sure you can even own a gun? Usually this kind of situation would void the ability to own any firearms...

Berek

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 10:25 PM
I wasn't prosecuted or anything. I wouldn't think that I would be banned from purchasing a shotgun.

I just checked my states gun laws. I'm legally able to buy a shotgun when I turn 18 in 2 months.

hillbilly
November 30, 2005, 10:34 PM
Hmmm...........

V4Vendetta comes onto a gun board, and then only 13 posts into his fresh presence here, he confesses to the following......

As to why my mom doesn't like guns is because when I was 11, I accidently killed my 10 year old brother with my dad's Remington 870. He wanted to go target practice in the backyard*. I said OK. We had done it before & nothing bad happened. Well this time the gun went off as I was loading it. He died instantly.

Hmmmmmm..............................

I remember all the times I went for "target practice" in the backyard with a pump action 12 gauge.

Hmmmm.........................

hillbilly

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hillbilly, what does that mean? I did NOT mean to kill him.

AnthonyRSS
November 30, 2005, 10:57 PM
This got ugly in a hurry.

Sorry for your loss.

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks Anthony.

Berek
November 30, 2005, 11:31 PM
Hillbilly, what does that mean? I did NOT mean to kill him.

It just seems odd that someone new to this forum would profess to something that extreme so readily. Not saying that you fall into one of these categories, but, in the past, when someone said something like this, they were trolling, full of it or an anti trying to goad someone into saying/doing something they could use against the true, responsible gun owner. It makes credability a little hard to accept.

If this is, in fact, your past, you may want to think carefully about where/when you post something like this.

Berek

V4Vendetta
November 30, 2005, 11:38 PM
It is my past unfortunately. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I mention it "easily" because I've gotten used to it. I block it out of my mind as much as I can. I've never been a anti-gunner. Not even when that happened. I knew that it was my fault. Bad stuff happens & will continue to happen as long as humans exist.

hillbilly
December 1, 2005, 08:46 AM
Exactly what Berek said.

Either what you posted is true or it is not true.

The rather flippant, off-handed way you posted it led me to believe that there was a good chance that it was not true.

In my experience, people who really undergo tragedies like this don't just off-handedly drop that bit of information into the laps of complete strangers.

If it is true, then you really should think about when and where you reveal this bit of information, and how you reveal it.

If it is not true, well, then you do the math.

To be honest, I still don't know which one it is, and I'm going to stay away from this thread from now on.

hilbilly

Missashot
December 1, 2005, 09:01 AM
As to why my mom doesn't like guns is because when I was 11, I accidently killed my 10 year old brother with my dad's Remington 870. He wanted to go target practice in the backyard*. I said OK. We had done it before & nothing bad happened. Well this time the gun went off as I was loading it. He died instantly.
Well, at least you know why your mom hates guns. It is certainly justified as to why she would not want you to have more.
As long as you reside in her home, you should respect her wishes and not get any guns.

V4Vendetta
December 1, 2005, 09:27 AM
I guess your right. I just have gotten used to it. You mods can close this thread now.

parsec
December 1, 2005, 05:37 PM

Dave R
December 1, 2005, 05:43 PM
Taking everything at face value...

I think the right thing to do is be sensitive to your Mom's feelings. Mom's are more important than guns. I think everyone would agree to that.

Wait until you have your own place before purchasing firearms. Just my .02.

pax
December 1, 2005, 05:48 PM
Closed, at threadstarter's request.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "Me, my gun & mom." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!