Wife Authorizes Rifle Ammo Stockpiling

PDA

amprecon
April 3, 2003, 10:35 PM
I read a post to my wife regarding gun sales rising in Texas and elsewhere because of the general war-time paranoia and possible terrorist dangers to America.

She then asked how much ammo I had for my weapons. My current inventory consists of:
SLR-95 with approximately 1,200 rounds
Rem 700 .30-06 with 20 rounds
Rem 870 12 gauge with 50 slugs and 10 00 buckshot
Glock 21 with 300 rounds 230gr. fmj
Ruger SP101 with 70 rounds .38spl
10/22 and Marlin M60 with 500 rounds

Now honestly, I don't necessarily foresee any types of hostile conflicts coming to my area or even nationwide in the near future where I will need to get involved with a rifle.

She said that I should start buying a couple of cases of rifle ammunition to have on hand because she fears something could happen in the near future and that we should be ready. She didn't think pistol ammunition was a high priority, but it would be nice to have "enough" on hand. I was impressed.

Speculation always seems to get the best of us with our imaginations, but I believe that depending on time, I'd grab all the weapons. But if we had to boogy out, I'd grab both rifles and as much ammo as possible. The pistols would not be as high a priority, but would sure try to take them and their ammo if possible.

Obviously ammunition is expensive, cheaper when bought by the case, but still expensive for a working person. Anyway, should I take advantage of her premonition and start buying ammo, or should I just stick with the current inventory based on my "feelings of security"?

Remember, I'm a working person and don't have the money to spend unless absolutely necessary. Are her fears justifiable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife Authorizes Rifle Ammo Stockpiling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
April 3, 2003, 10:45 PM
I would do what I am currently doing...

steadily build up the stockpile by buying cases of the stuff when it is priced right. This will mean 3 things:

1. You're actually saving money (assuming you eventually shoot most of it), as you're buying by the case, and only buying when it is priced to move.

2. You avoid the sticker shock of buying a whole bunch of stuff at once, which is probably not priced to move.

3. You can probably end up sneaking more in under the radar, if you are so inclined. I'm not so inclined: my wife and I have an agreement- we don't discuss her personal purchases, and we don't discuss mine (we each have 'allowances' from our joint accounts for individual "play" money).

Of course, this means that the stockpile doesn't grow overnight, but you already have 1,200 rounds of rifle ammo on tap. If you use up all of that, well, frankly, an additional thousand probably isn't going to solve your problem. :D

As long as you're salting away more than you're shooting, you're good to go.

Mike

dakotasin
April 3, 2003, 10:51 PM
tough question...

of course it is great to have a lot of ammo on hand, but i wouldn't be overly concerned about it from a security standpoint. for home defense, you already have enough to deter most problems.

if i found screaming deals on ammo, i'd certainly pick it up... find the quantity that you are happy with having on reserve, and maintain that amount.

fwiw, i would make sure that if i had to choose one to stockpile at a time, i would make sure my shotgun was adequately supplied first, 30-06 second, and glock third.

TheLastBoyScout
April 3, 2003, 11:08 PM
If I was gonna stock up, I'd put my first priority on .30-06, because there isn't gonna be a whole lot more of that stuff on the surplus market (I don't know what you feed the hunting rifle, but my brother's Garand gets a steady diet of danish surplus).

The 1200 rounds of intermediate rifle ammo you have is probably plenty for anything short of an extreme long term collapse.

I'd want a heck of alot more shotgun ammo though, and a few thousand extra rounds of .22. I wouldn't care about the wheel gun as far as stockpiling for it goes, the Glock and the ammo you have should be just fine (but if you see a decent deal for a few hundred rounds, why not get it? See Coronach's post)

JerryN
April 4, 2003, 12:16 AM
I tend to always buy any screaming deals I see on ammo, periodically. Ammo stored in a relatively dry area keeps for a loooooong time.

Its going to be difficult to have too much ammo if the S ever HTF. Your prized hardware isnt worth much with nothing to feed it. Might as well get good at throwing sticks.

Look at it this way... Our troops in Iraq wouldn't be winning if it weren't for the supply clerks humping food, water and ammo out to them. Empty rifles don't shoot good.

SquirrelNuts
April 4, 2003, 12:25 AM
You are better to be safe than sorry. Besides, if the S hits the fan, the only ammo you can count on is what you have saved up. I say go for it.

-SquirelNuts

Greg L
April 4, 2003, 12:26 AM
Now that you've got permission for a "case" or two of centerfire ammo I would take advantage of that (provided of course that it doesn't take the roof off of your heads or the kids don't complain of being hungry).

Don't tell her this, but a true SHTF/bug out scenario ammo supply isn't much good if you can't pick it up and carry it with you.

If it is on sale, buy it and work your way through it when you practice with it (you both do don't you? ).

Greg

(btw, your .22 supply is FAR too low. You should only be able to estimate your supply to the nearest 1000 rounds)

4v50 Gary
April 4, 2003, 11:00 AM
Now that's one heckuva woman. Buy what you can afford but don't forget food, water, medicine & first aid. Half the battle is upstairs.

M1911
April 4, 2003, 11:08 AM
Looking at what you've got, I'd suggest you get some .30-06 ammo. If you can't solve the problem with 1200 rounds of 7.62x39, then you're in a world of hurt. But some more .22, simply because you can pick up 500 rounds for $10 or so. Your pistol ammunition looks low as well.

Leatherneck
April 4, 2003, 11:31 AM
"The Arsenal of Democracy" :D

TC
TFL Survivor

Chipperman
April 4, 2003, 12:49 PM
Korean 30.06 is on sale at AIM right now. $90/can w/ free shipping.
I just ordered 2 more cans. :D

DMK
April 4, 2003, 12:58 PM
Shoot, you need more of everything. Aside from the 7.62x39, I shoot up more than that in a day at the range.

steadily build up the stockpile by buying cases of the stuff when it is priced right That what I do too. I try to find the best deal every month and buy a case of it. I'm a C&R so all those catalogs I get help out a lot, but there's plenty of deals on the 'net. Start here:

www.natchezss.com
www.jgsales.com
www.ammunitionstore.com
www.aimsurplus.com
www.ammoman.com
www.southernohiogun.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife Authorizes Rifle Ammo Stockpiling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!