Bushmaster changing selector to ambi

PDA

Chipperman
April 3, 2003, 11:14 PM
I have a new Bushy and wanted to put an ambi selector on it.

According to the diagram I saw on AR15.com, you install the selector with the hammer back and the selector in the "Fire" position. I assumed that removing it was the same.

I took off the upper, cocked the hammed, and pointed the selector to fire. I then tried to push the selector out from right to left. It does not want to budge. Wanted to make sure this is correct before I damage something. Do I just need to push harder? I was using a screwdriver with some padding under it. It put a pretty good amount of force on the selector, but to no avail.

I don't need to take off the grip do I?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster changing selector to ambi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Engineer
April 3, 2003, 11:32 PM
You will have to take the grip off in order to get the safety out. There is a spring loaded detent that keeps the safety in place. From the AR15.com diagram, you can see where this detent and spring are located:

http://ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/pistolGrip.gif

Just make sure the pointy end of the detent is towards the safety when you put your ambi-safety in.

Chipperman
April 3, 2003, 11:38 PM
Thanks. :cool:

Barrelmaker
April 4, 2003, 12:43 AM
Can also be done if you rock the selector [swing] slightly between safe and fire while pushing selector out. This will allow detent to ride up the groove in selector and it will pop out. You can depress detent with tip of punch or whatever when reinstalling your selector. No problem at all.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster changing selector to ambi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!