Rotating Barrel - (Dis)advantages? (For K-100)

PDA

PaladinX13
December 1, 2005, 09:50 AM
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg123-e.htm

Saw this unsual pistol the other day and went home to look it up. What is the significance of the rotating barrel... the advantages and disadvantages?

Also, has anyone handled this gun? I was pleasant to hold but I'm a little wary of guns I've never heard of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rotating Barrel - (Dis)advantages? (For K-100)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 1, 2005, 10:09 AM
I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of the rotating barrel lockup. It works and several versions have been tried over the years. Some sell but most don't. Consider the Steyr-Hahn, Savage, Obregon, MAB P15, Colt All American 2000, and Beretta 8000. Probably others I don't recall. Just add this one to the list and see where it goes.

MrAcheson
December 1, 2005, 01:35 PM
I believe the main advantage is accuracy potential.

In a normal Browning action, the barrel is moving around a lot as the action cycles. Typically it moves back with the slide, then unlocks and rotates downward to pick up the next round. Then it moves up and forward again. It is good tight tolerances that keep it coming back to exactly where it started shot after shot.

With a rotating barrel, the barrel can be kept on a fixed axis and alignment for the entire recoil cycle. As the slide works, the barrel simply spins in place. Or in other words, a rotating barrel pistol always has the barrel pointed in the same direction, but a more conventional design does not. This should mean better shot to shot accuracy for the rotating barrel pistol.

The disadvantage is that rotating actions tend to require more complex machining (so they are more expensive). Since the rotating pistol often has lugs on all sides of the barrel (instead of just the top), the gun also tends to be wider which hampers concealment. I think the width of the action is becoming less of an issue myself. Glocks are quite popular yet they are fairly fat. Cost is always a problem though.

NVMM
December 1, 2005, 03:26 PM
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg149-e.htm

mete
December 1, 2005, 05:52 PM
To add to Jim's list , I had a CZ-24 which worked fine .Obviously it's a proven design and if well made it will work. I never was a fan of the Beretta/Walther locking system having had a 1951 Beretta .The locking wedge had a habit of breaking in these guns. Basic design features and actual performance may be two different things.!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rotating Barrel - (Dis)advantages? (For K-100)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!