I wanna watch a good gun movie.

PDA

P95loser
December 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
I have a hankerin' to ride down to the local blockbuster and rent a good gun movie... I have seen and liked Ronin, Enemy at the Gates, and The way of the gun... But I would like to see one that is like enemy at the gates as far as snipers and stuff. Any suggestions for a classic gun movie?

If you enjoyed reading about "I wanna watch a good gun movie." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
December 1, 2005, 10:59 AM
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Collateral (get the DVD with commentary, etc regarding gun training)

P95loser
December 1, 2005, 11:02 AM
just rented it two days ago... it was good though. I liked the whole "the fact that your guns have "replica" on the side of them, and mine has "desert eagle .50" on the side of mine" thing was AWESOME!!! I laughed through the whole movie.

JamisJockey
December 1, 2005, 11:03 AM
Saving Private Ryan (of course)
Band of Brothers series

P95loser
December 1, 2005, 11:06 AM
so far ive seen all of these but the lock, stock, and two smoking barrels and it looked pretty good on the website... i think im gonna try it!

What someone really needs to do is make another sniper movie like enemy at the gates...

El Tejon
December 1, 2005, 11:09 AM
"Heat"
"Way of the Gun"
"Big Jake"

BudthePrez
December 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
How about in a cowboy mode "The wild bunch" very hard to beat. and it does remind you "that the machine gun must be fired from a tripod"

Chut1st
December 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
"Sniper" starring tom Berringer.

HankB
December 1, 2005, 11:13 AM
"Saving Private Ryan"
"Blackhawk Down"
"We Were Soldiers"
"Zulu"

If you're not too picky, there's

"Sniper"
"Sniper 2"
"Sniper 3"

(I'm pretty sure at least the second two went directly to video)

And of course, though it wasn't really a "gun" movie, there's Bert Gummer's famous basement scene in "Tremors" . . . :neener:

lawson
December 1, 2005, 11:17 AM
The Untouchables (tommy guns, M&Ps, 1911s, sawed-off shotguns, what more do you need?)

ID_shooting
December 1, 2005, 11:21 AM
I am having a brain cramp at the moment, but there was that Korean movie from last summer that was OUT STANDING!, even subtitled. Anyone remember it?

Tequila_Sauer
December 1, 2005, 11:25 AM
Heat has one of the best shootouts in recent memory. That and Ronin are two of my favorite "gun" movies. Ronin is also the undisputed king of car chase movies. There are several and they're all awesome. I always loved how, in those scenes, they flashed their headlights and traffic ahead of them to get them to move out of the way. It's a concept I've rarely scene used in car chase movies.

The Jason Bourne movies have some good gunplay as well. Can't go wrong with any James Cameron action flicks either. Tears of the Sun and Collateral also.

Biker
December 1, 2005, 11:40 AM
The Long Riders springs to mind. One of my all time favorite westerns.
Biker

Tomcat1066
December 1, 2005, 11:45 AM
+1 on The Long Riders. I watched parts of that one being filmed.

I'm partial to The Boondock Saints. Really fun film. Not realistic necessarily, but still fun.

Tom

jefnvk
December 1, 2005, 11:50 AM
If you like sniper films, try Quigley Down Under. He puts the other snipers to shame.

Braz
December 1, 2005, 12:01 PM
The Big Red One (Lee Marvin leads a squad in WWII)

Death Hunt (Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin pre-date Rambo)

Full Metal Jacket (classic movie, classic lines)

Hombre (Paul Newman is the man who 'can cut it'.)

Jeremiah Johnson (Robert Redford becomes a Mountain Man legend)

The Missouri Breaks (Jack Nickelson's rustlers vs Marlon Brando's Sharps)

Red Dawn (SHTF classic)

Old Dog
December 1, 2005, 01:14 PM
Just saw "Hostage" with Bruce Willis, and thought it was quite good. Glocks, Kimber 1911s, Beretta 92s and Willis' movie gunhandling has improved markedly (looks as though he's actually gotten a bit of tutelage from some actual gunny cops) since the ridiculous "Die Hard" movies ...

+1 on Ronin - De Niro: "I favor the 1911." Lots of great car chase scenes on the French Riviera, too ...

Both versions of "The Getaway." Steve McQueen/Ali McGraw and the later Baldwin/Basinger remake ... Not great cinema, but lots of shootouts, shotguns, big magnum revolvers and Colt 1911s ...

Jubei
December 1, 2005, 01:26 PM
The Usual Suspects

The assault on the freighter was pretty cool..."Oswald's a pu$$y".

Jubei

Biker
December 1, 2005, 01:36 PM
The Usual Suspects

The assault on the freighter was pretty cool..."Oswald's a pu$$y".

Jubei
Yup. A classic. Ever notice that Kaiser always used a revo?
Biker

Tequila_Sauer
December 1, 2005, 01:46 PM
All this Ronin talk, I'm going to have to watch it again. I seem to remember a point where Deniro wields an M60. Hard to beat that level of coolness.

Harrison Ford has done some good gunplay flicks as well. Air Force One, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger to name a few. The "Sniper at your feet" scene in Clear and Present Danger is classic.

HighVelocity
December 1, 2005, 01:50 PM
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Tombstone
3000 Miles to Graceland

RnR
December 1, 2005, 02:14 PM
Tom Horn (w/Steve McQueen as Horn)

Kinda Western - kinda DocuDrama with Steve, Linda Evans, Slim Pickens et al. I haven't caught it on DVD (although I'm hopin' it has been released) but rather taped it off-air awhile back. Always nice to see Steve with a big piece of iron in tow...

enfield303
December 1, 2005, 02:19 PM
DeNiro was packing a M249 SAW. Ronin rocks, so does Way Of The Gun. I had forgotten about The Getaway.

pcf
December 1, 2005, 02:20 PM
The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster
The Professional with Jean Reno

Spiggy
December 1, 2005, 02:30 PM
not as many guns, but certainly one of those movies I'd put on the watch list

Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven"
-Film about a retired outlaw, and the dirty untold bits of history of the west. -Watch Morgan Freeman handle a Spencer rifle.

"Shiri"
-foreign film, entirely in korean, pokes at political instability between No. & So. Korea. Supposedly kicks the gunfight's out of HEAT. -Havn't seen it, heard good things

"Pulp Fiction"
-Less guns, but a lot of random fun... and not to mention a great scene featuring a hyperdermic needle full of epinephrine. -*doing the twist*

"Cat Ballou"
-no guns, just Jane Fonda & Lee Marvin not to mention Nat King Cole

LeadPumper
December 1, 2005, 02:34 PM
A couple that haven't been mentioned:

Tae Guk Gi - The Brotherhood of War (2004) A drama about the fate of brothers forced to fight in the Korean War. (subtitles)

and,

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Epic story of a mysterious stranger with a harmonica who joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad. Actors: Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson, Gabriele Ferzetti.

-LeadPumper

TonyB
December 1, 2005, 02:42 PM
Westerns:Tombstone,Silverado,Unforgiven,Quigley down under
Cop:any Dirty Harry flick,Copland
War:Full Metal jacket,Enemy at the gate,Pvt Ryan.
Gangster:Road to Perdition,Godfather II
there are others ,but these are my Favs.and some them make you go"man I NEED one of those guns!":D

adaman04
December 1, 2005, 02:50 PM
My favorite gun movies off the top of my head are....

Sniper - Tom Berenger
Quigley Down Under - Tom Selleck
Leon: The Professional
Boondock Saints
Red Dawn
Saving Private Ryan

I know I'm forgetting a bunch...

Cosmoline
December 1, 2005, 02:58 PM
"Heat", of course

and "Hard Boiled" from Hong Kong features the highest number of rounds fired I know of in any film, ever. Not super realistic, but a lot of fun and some AMAZING stunts that would never, ever have been possible stateside due to safety concerns.

Second "Tea Guk Gi" from Korea. Great movie. The acting is a little old-fashioned by Hollywood standards. There are no method actors in Korea apparently. Everyone just "ACTS!" But it's kind of refreshing--almost like a film from the 1930's only with more graphic violence.

"Talvisota" (Winter War) is a great one, along with "Ambush" about the continuation war. Yesterday was the 66th anniversary of the Russian invasion of Finland so it's topical.

rustymaggot
December 1, 2005, 03:01 PM
you beat me to it with 'red dawn' dangit.

'last man standing' with bruce willis and christopher walken

'the beast' awesome tank movie.

'assassins' with stalone and antonio banderas, also desperado with banderas.

'the assignment' with adian quinn and donald sutherland and ben kingsley

'mean guns' has the guy from highlander in it as well as ice t.

'surviving the game' also icet but has rutger hauer and gary busey

Clusive
December 1, 2005, 03:08 PM
I am having a brain cramp at the moment, but there was that Korean movie from last summer that was OUT STANDING!, even subtitled. Anyone remember it?

Shiri? I have it on DVD. Great movie!

Old Dog
December 1, 2005, 03:13 PM
Can't believe I forgot to mention "Open Range" (Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner); the climactic gunfight near the end was, in my estimation, realistic and a good depiction of an Old West shootout -- not two guys facing down each on the street at high noon, but guys hiding, running, ducking for cover, courage, cowardice, shooting men in the back ...

Jubei
December 1, 2005, 03:16 PM
'last man standing' with bruce willis and christopher walken

Remember, he said "good" gun movie.

I like Bruce Willis movies too, but that one really reeked.

A better (IMHO) Willis movie would be 'Tears of the Sun'.

Jubei

DukeNukem
December 1, 2005, 03:36 PM
Winchester '73

Cosmoline
December 1, 2005, 03:40 PM
Shiri? I have it on DVD. Great movie!

The one I know from last summer was Tae Guk Gi, already mentioned. Swiri was from the late '90's IIRC.

Cosmoline
December 1, 2005, 03:43 PM
Remember, he said "good" gun movie.

I like Bruce Willis movies too, but that one really reeked.

A better (IMHO) Willis movie would be 'Tears of the Sun'.

Jubei

I've actually come to like "Last Man Standing." It's an homage to the legendary "Yojimbo." The action is silly of course, but it's still fun.

has rutger hauer and gary busey

Can you imagine sitting between those two on an airplane? Yikes!

"Gosh, you've really got some pretty toys on this plane"

"Yeah, And light stands for L-I-G-H-T, which stands for Living In God's Heavenly Thoughts. My dark side is making toys for the kids in the back room right now (Grins)"

Clusive
December 1, 2005, 03:46 PM
The one I know from last summer was Tae Guk Gi, already mentioned. Swiri was from the late '90's IIRC.

You are correct. Debuted in '99 and came out on DVD in '02.

Satch
December 1, 2005, 03:49 PM
The Getaway, the one with Steve McQueen.

captainkirk
December 1, 2005, 03:59 PM
One of my favorites. Not exactly accurate as far as the arms Horn truly carried ( I think he favored a 30-30 instead of a 45-60) but a great flick none the less. McQueen played him well (a little short though).

"I never ate a bug that big before..."

captainkirk

72Rover
December 1, 2005, 04:02 PM
You said "good"...how about 4 Oscars including best picture (1961) and nine nominations....

Rembrandt
December 1, 2005, 04:31 PM
For handguns, the first movie where the gun out starred the actor,...S&W Model 29, "Dirty Harry". Smith & Wesson couldn't keep up with the demand for .44's as a result of this movie.

1941 classic "Sargeant York" with Gary Cooper.....the first and best movie about a true historic rifle marksman, Alvin York, recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/haze.jpg

oneshooter
December 1, 2005, 04:39 PM
As I am typing this I have ZULU on the tube, with ZULU DAWN standing at the ready!:evil:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

walt007
December 1, 2005, 05:57 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned "Face/Off". Many parts of that movie are not exactly "realistic", but still a very entertaining flick!

Spiggy
December 1, 2005, 06:04 PM
oh, I forgot to add:

Equilibrium if you have a G36 and crazy whacked out beretta fetish

WarMachine
December 1, 2005, 06:34 PM
A new one out is of course Mr. and Mrs. Smith. This movie's chock-full of firearms of all kinds and gun handling is better than most mainstream blockbusters...

bogie
December 1, 2005, 06:35 PM
Double Feature: House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects

Why CCW is generally a good idea...

ReadyontheRight
December 1, 2005, 06:51 PM
Lots of good movies here.

I gotta throw out "True Grit"

http://www.classicphotos.com/guns/st-157.jpg

Rooster J. Cogburn: “I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?”

Ned Pepper: “I call that bold talk from a one-eyed fat man.”

Rooster J. Cogburn: “Fill your hand you S.O.B!"

Also -- High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josie Wales, Magnificent Seven.

ckyllo
December 1, 2005, 07:39 PM
another one to consider is "man on fire"

in 3 weeks sereinity is coming out on dvd and that has some fun guns in it.

walt007
December 1, 2005, 09:19 PM
Double Feature: House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects

Why CCW is generally a good idea...
I had to actually turn that movie off halfway through, and believe me, that doesn't occur too often with me.

It wasn't the extreme violence displayed, but rather, the lack of tastefullness in which this violence was displayed - IMO.

But you are right, like the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" glad to carry after these types of movies.

Stauble
December 1, 2005, 09:35 PM
any john wayne movie like El Dorado or Big Jake
Tombstone
any of the Rambos if u can tolerate the unrelisticness of it
Die Hard
The Boondock Saints

7.62x54r
December 1, 2005, 10:32 PM
Would" DAS BOAT" fill you needs.?:evil:

Johnny_Yuma
December 2, 2005, 03:14 AM
Heat has one of the best shootouts in recent memory. That and Ronin are two of my favorite "gun" movies. Ronin is also the undisputed king of car chase movies. There are several and they're all awesome. I always loved how, in those scenes, they flashed their headlights and traffic ahead of them to get them to move out of the way. It's a concept I've rarely scene used in car chase movies.

The Jason Bourne movies have some good gunplay as well. Can't go wrong with any James Cameron action flicks either. Tears of the Sun and Collateral also.

Ronin had some excellent car chases but The Transporter is the new king of the chase scene. Reaching back a few years the Wrong-Way chase in To Live and Die in L.A. is also tops.

Gun movies?
Big Jake
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Joe Kidd
Saving Private Ryan
Collateral
Winchester '73

cz75bdneos22
December 2, 2005, 03:18 AM
i have to chime in and say i wanna add the transporter 2. i liked it slightly more that the first one..all others are good choices too..:D

Waitone
December 2, 2005, 04:55 AM
Gunfighter Moon

mindpilot
December 2, 2005, 06:50 AM
The recent one with Nicholas cage was good. Hes a gun selller.

Matrix has guns galore. Blade movies do to if you like the sci fi stuff. Doom was good!! :)

ckyllo
December 2, 2005, 06:59 AM
The recent one with Nicholas cage was good. Hes a gun selller.

movie was lord of war

the bourn movies bourn id and sup have alot of guns

Sean85746
December 2, 2005, 12:12 PM
LAST MAN STANDING

It was a FUN flick....nothing more, nothing less.

JamisJockey
December 2, 2005, 12:14 PM
LAST MAN STANDING

It was a FUN flick....nothing more, nothing less.

+1 there!

SpookyPistolero
December 2, 2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, +2 on Last Man Standing. Fun to watch a calm Willis with double GI .45's.

Also would second the Bourne movies, I love those.

Way of the Gun is pretty good, too. Felt very original.

grnzbra
December 2, 2005, 01:44 PM
Jason Borne, but not for guns; I like his instant reaction to being touched.

Heat

Private Ryan: I thought the cemetary scene at the very end was powerful.

Tears of the Sun

Das Boot, but only immediately after watching Crimson Tide. Crimson Tide has a scene where a diving nuclear sub takes up just about the entire screen and Das Boot has a scene in which the ocean takes up the entire screen and the boat is a tiny spec.

Any movie with a gatling gun (modern, not a hand cranked original). Sum of All Fears, Matrix, Predator.

Drysdale
December 2, 2005, 04:30 PM
Boondock Saints
Rooster Cogburn
True Grit (Love the turkey scene)
Big Jake (Snipers and Semi-Auto Pistols are fun!)
Kuffs

V4Vendetta
December 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
Open Range.
Unforgiven.
Big Jake*.
The Bourne Identity.
The Bourne Supremacy.
Collateral.

It's pretty graphic for a John Wayne western. DO NOT WATCH WITH KIDS!

The_Shootist
December 2, 2005, 09:15 PM
Nobody mentioned "The Replacement Killers" yet?

"The boy will die John! And your family too!"

"Not in YOUR lifetime!" BANG! (cut to Chinese gang leader doing a lazy 10 storey fall from a roof).

The nice thing about that movies is it simply has no redeeming social values at all :evil:

But for Western/War Stories, how come no one has mentioned "Ride With the Devil"? The scene where the reb's are holed up in a farm house against Yankee troops has to be a classic if you are a fan of SA revolvers!!!

cz75bdneos22
December 2, 2005, 11:10 PM
how about sin city...lots of gun play..;)
i liked resident evil and resident evil 2.
underworld
eraser with arnold...
pulp fiction-travolta
tigerland-vietnam war
the general's daughter

Spiggy
December 3, 2005, 02:42 AM
there's a good one, why didnt anyone suggest that?

Dick Dart
December 3, 2005, 10:30 AM
Way of the Gun.

VacuumJockey
December 3, 2005, 01:05 PM
Just saw "Hostage" with Bruce Willis, and thought it was quite good. Check out the Nest (http://imdb.com/title/tt0280990/), also by Florent Siri. It's an incredibly tight and cool heist/siege action movie. A great french movie; not some dull flick about cousins in love. See it for the gunplay.

ATAShooter
December 3, 2005, 08:16 PM
Didn't they make a movie about that guy who went to the top of the Texas University tower and commensed to sniping?

RnR
December 13, 2005, 08:02 PM
And lest we forget...

Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter's original)
Carbine Williams (w/Jimmy Stewart)

Art Eatman
December 13, 2005, 09:26 PM
For a movie with a plot: "Thief" with James Caan.

The advisors on pistols were pre-race-gun IPSC types. "International Shooting Institute" or some such name. Associated with the Steel Challenge, among other notable events. Ex-Gunsite types.

Art

poortrader
December 13, 2005, 09:35 PM
+1 Assault on Precinct 13

I was looking for it on the list. Lots of Cool Rifles.....

DevLcL
December 13, 2005, 10:23 PM
I know 'Way of the Gun' gets alot of credit here in the movie threads... but I think it deserves more! No other movie (that I've seen) has that level of accuracy. To name one example: In the courtyard shootout near the end when one has a 12ga. and the other has a pistol, they both shoot at the same wall or whatever (shooting at the same guy) and you can see buckshot holes erupt, then small pistol holes... In another scene one guy has injured his arm so he loads his shotgun magazine tube upside down in his lap, complete with the final +1 cartridge in the tube. Similarly characters are seen loading pistols by holding the gun upside down between their legs, with the slide locked back, slapping in a new clip, then releasing the slide (obviously) and get right back into the fight, all with one hand.

The scene where antonio goes through the villa type thing he unloads his AK full auto into the walls and he was definetely sprayin and prayin, that could have been a little more thought out, I don't think these guys would have done something like that. But overall...

...Great movie! If you havn't already seen it then its a MUST SEE!

If you enjoyed reading about "I wanna watch a good gun movie." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!