Question-Buying rifles? ?

PDA

MADDOG
December 1, 2005, 06:09 PM
Is it legal to purchase rifles and/or shotguns from a gun shop in another state? If I live in Texas can I buy a rifle [in person] from a gun shop/or at a gun show in OK. or LA. Where would this info be located?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question-Buying rifles? ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tejas Gunwerks
December 1, 2005, 06:22 PM
Is it legal to purchase rifles and/or shotguns from a gun shop in another state? If I live in Texas can I buy a rifle [in person] from a gun shop/or at a gun show in OK. or LA. Where would this info be located?

As long as it is legal for you to buy it in both states, it is legal.

MADDOG
December 1, 2005, 06:28 PM
I can buy a long gun legally in TX so thats makes it ok to purchase a long gun in another state. Purchasing a handgun--you must be a resident of your state--CORRECT? ? ?

wdlsguy
December 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b

Tejas Gunwerks
December 1, 2005, 07:48 PM
I can buy a long gun legally in TX so thats makes it ok to purchase a long gun in another state. Purchasing a handgun--you must be a resident of your state--CORRECT? ? ?

Not necessarily, if it is illegal in the other state you cannot buy it. As far as the pistol goes, generally speaking you cannot, there are some exceptions though.

JohnKSa
December 1, 2005, 08:17 PM
...if it is illegal in the other state you cannot buy it.Yup, tried to buy a rifle in MO once. In MO, they can only sell it you you if you live in MO or an adjacent state.

MD_Willington
December 1, 2005, 08:43 PM
I live in SE WA near Pullman, I know that I can purchase a long arm in Moscow Idaho which is just across the state line and it is legit...Can also do this in Lewiston ID.

MD

Jim Watson
December 1, 2005, 08:46 PM
GCA 68 said you could buy a long gun in an ADJOINING state IF such purchase had been specifically authorized by both states. At one time they required a background check back to your home town but dropped that. I don't know if the regulations have been changed since.

Infidel
December 1, 2005, 08:56 PM
So far, wdlsguy, and ONLY wdlsguy, has posted the correct answer.

Edit to add: Oops. Tejas Gunwerks got it right, too.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b Specifically, B2 says it all.

There once was an "adjacent state" rule, but no more (and that "adjacent state" rule might have been for handguns). The sale must be legal in both states,-- the state where it takes place, and the buyer's state of residence, and the buyer must be physically present at the seller's premises.

I have no idea what the MO state laws might be or have been.

Tejas Gunwerks
December 1, 2005, 09:16 PM

There once was an "adjacent state" rule, but no more (and that "adjacent state" rule might have been for handguns). The sale must be legal in both states,-- the state where it takes place, and the buyer's state of residence, and the buyer must be physically present at the seller's premises.

That's better, I was about to loosen the hounds of hell after you.:evil:

Infidel
December 1, 2005, 09:34 PM
That's better, I was about to loosen the hounds of hell after you.:evil:

Whew! Close calls like that make me nervous.

Matthew748
December 1, 2005, 09:57 PM
I sure wish some gun shops would actually learn the laws that govern their trade. My dad was out visiting my sister in Utah last summer. He stopped in a gun shop, saw a shotgun he liked (legal in Utah and his home state), but the shop refused to make the sale. He was told that firearms in Utah can only be sold to Utah residents.

EOD Guy
December 2, 2005, 12:33 PM

You are correct but the problem is that some states didn't change their "contiguous state" laws when the Feds did. If the state laws reads that a dealer can "only" sell to a resident of that state or a contiguous state, then the laws still applies. If the state law "allows'" a resident of a contiguous state to purchase in that state, then the law is effectively moot. That is the interpretation that BATF has put out in their FFL Newsletter.

eastwood44mag
December 2, 2005, 02:17 PM
When in doubt, call the dealer you plan on buying from, and ask them.

State laws can be a real PITA on this issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question-Buying rifles? ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!