Which barrel length for target/varmit .308?

PDA

TCW
April 4, 2003, 02:31 AM
Hi All,

I'm considering getting a Savage 10FP-LE1 or LE2(new Accu Trigger model) in .308 for my first bolt gun. Since I will be getting the gun for mainly target/competition, a friend recommended the heavy barrel.

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/lawEnf/10fp.htm

My Questions:
Should I get the 20" or 24" barrel?

How much velocity would I be losing with the 4" difference?

I'm tempted to get the shorter barrel to make it a little more handy and lighter if I ever wanted to carry it around.

Finally, what does a shooter really gain with the heavy barrel?

Thanks!
TCW:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Which barrel length for target/varmit .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quack
April 4, 2003, 03:22 AM
actually it's either 20" or 26" for the 10FP-LE series. the standard 10FP is 24"
the next question is how far do you intend to shoot?

cratz2
April 4, 2003, 10:15 AM
For target use and competition, I see very little reason to get the 20" over the 26". The 26" will offer less muzzle blast and less recoil. The 20" might prove slightly more accurate than the 26" to a shooter with poor trigger control.

I could see the 20" trigger for actual tactical use. It might help you get where you're going and get set up 1 second quicker which might make a difference, but not for the average joe.

Fatelvis
April 4, 2003, 12:38 PM
Id get the 26". (And did!/ 700 VLS in 308)) More velocity, less muzzle blast, and more weight for recoil absorbtion.

Delmar
April 4, 2003, 12:44 PM
If there is an advantage to the 20 inch tube, it will be the barrel will be stiffer than the 26 inch. Losing a half foot of barrel will cost you around 100-150 fps., which is really not so much. If you have any intentions of using this as a walk up hunting type rifle, you are either going to get some serious arm and shoulder strength, or you will be miserable.

Art Eatman
April 4, 2003, 05:04 PM
Every article I've ever read about change in velocity with shortening of a barrel is reasonably consistent: For cartridges like the '06 and larger, the loss is about 75 ft/sec to 100 ft/sec per inch.

For cartridges of the .308 class, it runs approximately 50 ft/sec per inch.

This is not Absolute Truth for each and every barrel ever made, but it's certainly good enough for comparison purposes...

:), Art

k31
April 4, 2003, 05:31 PM
How about MOA at 1,000 yds with a 16" barrel in .308?

www.shooterready.com

Read the entire website. These are the .308s ordered by both Army and Marine Sniper teams. Expensive, but a money back, iron clad guarantee of performance. I wasn't a believer......... Now I am.

k31

yzguy
April 4, 2003, 05:34 PM
I just went for the middle, 24" 10 FP in .308, and am happy with it.

dakotasin
April 4, 2003, 10:59 PM
i opted for the 26" option (rem 700 vls in 308), and if i had it to do over again, i'd get the exact same thing.

TechBrute
April 4, 2003, 11:12 PM
How about MOA at 1,000 yds with a 16" barrel in .308? Not a bash, but I believe you've misunderstood the website. The 1000 yard gun has a 24" barrel. The 16" barreled gun is the one that will fit "in a suitcase".

Stuart Wilson frequently shoots at the Pala Indian Reservation with us. The .308 loads that he has been shooting out of a 20" barrel drop out of supersonic around 875 yards. When the bullets go subsonic, they destablize and go wiggy (technical term :D ). 1000 yard shots with his 20" gun are not reliable. He wouldn't even attempt to portray his 16" lightweight as a 1000 yard gun. I'll be sure to ask him to clarify it next time I see him.

For the record, Stuart Wilson is simply the finest long range shooter I've ever seen. You'll notice the shop where I work is listed on his Dealer page.
http://www.shooterready.com/local.html

Also, if you really want to learn the art of precision long range shooting, his software is an excellent start.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which barrel length for target/varmit .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!