Neck resizing question

PDA

BsChoy
December 2, 2005, 12:28 PM
I just read something that I swear I have never seen before. I was unaware that after so many neck sizings you would need to full length resize due to the shoulder moving foward?? I was under the impression that this wasn't necessary. Now I am using a full length die adjusted to be just about 1/16th off of the ram on the upstroke. This, again from what I have read should bump the shoulder enough to not make this necessary, right?? Any information is appreciated guys thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Neck resizing question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
halvey
December 2, 2005, 12:35 PM
Yes, you need to full length resize after so many firings. Now, how many that is, it all depends. I am on my 4th firing of near max .308 loads and I have yet to FL size.

ocabj
December 2, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hornady makes a shoulder bump neck die for .22-250, .223, .243, .308, and 6mm PPC. I have it for 308. Very nice and they use neck bushings, too.

USSR
December 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
Now I am using a full length die adjusted to be just about 1/16th off of the ram on the upstroke. This, again from what I have read should bump the shoulder enough to not make this necessary, right?

BsChoy,

No direct relationship with having your die 1/16" from the shellholder and getting the correct amount of shoulder bump. First, your cases will tell you after so many firings that your shoulder needs to be bumped by taking somewhat more pressure to close your bolt on them. When this starts to happen, screw in your FL sizing die, lube the case, and run the case into the die. Then clean the lube off and try chambering it in your rifle. If it still takes pressure to close the bolt on the case, screw the die in a little further and try again. Repeat this process until the bolt closes easier on the case. If you don't mind spending about $35, RCBS makes an excellent measurement tool called the RCBS Precision Mic that measures the base to shoulder distance (headspace). Hope that helps.

Don

BsChoy
December 4, 2005, 09:58 AM
USSR

The 1/16th's was the reccomended setting by Nosler's 4th edition to partial resize I think not to bump the shoulder down any, as I only have a full length die and have not purchased a neck sizer. Thanks guys

Ol` Joe
December 4, 2005, 01:18 PM
USSR

The 1/16th's was the reccomended setting by Nosler's 4th edition to partial resize I think not to bump the shoulder down any, as I only have a full length die and have not purchased a neck sizer. Thanks guys

I doubt with the die 1/16th off the shellholder you are doing more then, if touching the shoulder, you might be but 99% of my brass won`t size at all with this much clearance. Try coloring the shoulder of a couple cases with magic marker and see if the die smears the ink, if not you`re just resizeing the necks.
I have part -ized for years with FL dies doing pretty much just as you are and as long as the inside of the necks are lubed so the expander doesn`t pull the shoulder back out they go a long time without bumping the shoulder back. The amount of body that gets sized while doing this has as much to do with the shoulder moveing forward as firing IMO. Cases like the 30-06 with some taper in the body seem to work better then say a 308 which is fairly straight sided. The little bit of space between the die and shellholder seems to keep the tapered cases from haveing the body touched and works much better then a 308 type which moves brass forward when sizing the body.

Doug b
December 5, 2005, 10:50 AM
BsChoy the method you are using is called partial full length resizing.The theory behind it is, unlike neck sizing or full length sizing,the die just touches the case body holding it in line with the neck during resize for a more in line with the bore round.I've tried it in bolt guns, my bushmaster xm-15, and even in my colt python.My conclusions were full length works best.Like USSR said when the bolt gives resistance to closing you will have to full length size and bump the shoulder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Neck resizing question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!